The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Golden Age Premier - GA-47 Condenser Microphones
Old 8th December 2017
Golden Age Premier - GA-47

Just received this in my e-mail: Golden Age Premier GA-47

Old 8th December 2017
Looks interesting! Price is quite high for a GAP product, but overall not that high when compared to other P2P U47 copies. The one aspect I can see where it could fail is capsule, they seem to make them themselves and it's neither K67 or K47, so there's no way of telling how it would sound, it could be nothing like U47 (it doesn't mean bad).
Old 20th December 2017
Sweet. Nice one... Didn't see this coming!
Old 20th December 2017
There's a mention of GA-251 on the bottom of the page, now this is interesting
Old 20th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
There's a mention of GA-251 on the bottom of the page, now this is interesting
Oh my, bring it on! Already got a Flea 47 so a 251'ish mic is definitely tempting.
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

Bad timing. Warm did it cheaper and at first glance, better. It's tough out there. Weird that it's basically a clone but... not a clone...
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Warm did it cheaper and at first glance, better.
Could you elaborate on this, please? What is it you are thinking of regarding your assessment that Warm Audio did it better? They did it cheaper I, so much I understand, but better? Would be interesting to hear more regarding this.
Best!
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Please keep in mind that this is only my opinion based on the currently limited data available: when you look at the photos of the guts it's obvious that some thought went into making the Warm repeatable and reliable. The photos of the GA look very... late 80's Oktava, if that makes sense... the transformers in the GA look like typical Chinese parts while the Warm uses a reputable, reliable output tranny. Aside from that, GA mention several times it's not meant to be a clone and sound like a U47 - but obviously use the whole U47 as a basis for the product. Warm simply bring an affordable U47 clone to the table leaving no doubt as what they were going for. But to me, looking at those photos, it's obvious that most if not all Warms are going to sound pretty much identical while differences will most likely creep in between the GA's. Again, to be tested, you ask for my opinion based on what I saw and here it is. The GA is puzzling as it lies somewhere between a U47 clone and a U47 "inspired" microphone. All this could have no or little impact on the tone of a particular GA that may be excellent while another not so much, while the Warms should all be about the same, so different potential buyers will see different facets that may appeal to them, or turn them off. One thing to note is that in both cases, I'll bet that fitting a genuine K47 or M7 will bring those mics very close to an average U47 performance so the cheaper Warm seems again to be a better starting point. I won't comment further, I'm walking a fine line already since I haven't touched either yet
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to beta-test the GA-47 and in the end of the day thought this mic was just great sounding. A bit on the dark side yet detailed, the sound is never harsh, just beautifully there, large and present.
The design philosophy seems different than the Warm version and I think it's cool as it makes for two different versions people can choose from.

I heard the designer went for the best components for the project, brand names or no brand didn't matter, availability and consistency yes. Same with the capsule, it's not a K47, it's a mix of K47 and 67. I didn't know that when I tested it on a session the first time, but I know the sound I heard made me wanna use the mic on every other session, and the material we tracked that day (Vocal, acoustic guitar, electric guitar and bongos) made it to the final version.
Some people with wonderful ears and mic lockers also tested the GA-47 during its development phase and we all came to the same conclusion.

They're built 50 at a time by a very small company and they select the parts so the tolerance between mics in each batch is negligible...
We're far from mass-production and I wouldn't be so judgmental about Chinese parts Vs brand-name parts, it's not the 80's anymore.
China can produce crap or high-end, depends what you want in the end...

Check them out for yourself, I'm actually curious to hear what others think!

p.s: I also tested the future GA-251...it's a really promising project!!
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Head

I am actually unpacking the GA-47 in my studio now and will report back soon. I was hoping to test it together with the Warm 47 but it wasn't possible. Excited!!
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Head

Tried it for a couple of days on male vocals and acoustic guitar mainly. It's surely a bit darker than most microphones I have tried and/or owned, but this is for me often a good thing and it's definately not dull sounding at all.

I tried it side by side with an AT5040 and a Neumann Tlm 193 and so far the GA-47 would be my "go to" for those sources. Compared to the 5040 the GA-47 has smoother midrange and compared to the Neumann the GA-47 is more detailed and "real" in the midrange with a more controlled and balanced low-frequency behaviour.

The omni mode is much more more bright though and to me feels more like a "figure 8" pattern with "dead zones" at the sides. However, for some years now I haven't owned any microphones with Omni patterns so this could be normal? I had a u87 many years ago though and as I remember it didn't have this "issue".

Ohh, I also tried it as room mic in front of an old Ludwig Black Panther-kit and the sound was spectacular :-)
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Thank you Warns for the feedback. It's really what I heard. The omni is indeed brighter, but it's still not as bright as other mics I tested in this position I found...

Best,
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Golden Age now have a high end division and this can only be a good thing! I'm loving that old Fender Champ looking mic case.

I wonder what @terrysound thinks of this mic. It is handwired, after all.
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Addict

Don't forget Stam is also coming out with a 47 this year. It's going to be interesting to watch how these clone wars shake out in 2018.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
Don't forget Stam is also coming out with a 47 this year. It's going to be interesting to watch how these clone wars shake out in 2018.
Yep...it's due out next month. So, in Stam Time(tm) that is April. Stam Audio

The first post wasn't slutty enough so here are some pics of the GA-47:

Golden Age Premier - GA-47-ga_47_shockmount.jpg

Golden Age Premier - GA-47-ga47_box.jpg

Golden Age Premier - GA-47-ga47_guts.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Age Premier - GA-47-ga_47_shockmount.jpg   Golden Age Premier - GA-47-ga47_box.jpg   Golden Age Premier - GA-47-ga47_guts.jpg  
Old 30th January 2018
Finally! :)

The eagle has landed!
I'll probably have the time to do a quick test tomorrow. And will let you guys know asap.
So far, it looks and feels impressive. The suitcase is very nice, the shock mount holds the mic straight and secure and the mic itself is a flawless beauty!
I'd call this a very promising start!

I'm planning to do a mic shootout next Friday with the Golden Age Premier GA-47, the Warm Audio WA-47, the new Rupert Neve RNT 1 and a real Neumann U47 -stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Age Premier - GA-47-photo.jpg  
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Guru
As far as the Oktava comment, I have a 2500 and this looks much less jury rigged inside. Also the Oktava tube has wires attached to pins, where this seems to have a socket. That's a big difference, when you have to change it! Anyway, I wish the 2500 looked like this inside (I have a Joly mod FWIW).
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughgear View Post
I'm planning to do a mic shootout next Friday with the Golden Age Premier GA-47, the Warm Audio WA-47, the new Rupert Neve RNT 1 and a real Neumann U47 -stay tuned!
wow! looking forward to the results!!
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Head

Just picked mine up, will unpack tomorrow, and most definitely won't be doing any shootouts because as we all know they're pointless and don't make anyone happier, but will post something as soon as I've recorded a song with it! Excited!
Old 2nd February 2018
Old 2nd February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortez07 View Post
The reviewer had WA47, GA47 and U47 set up together and decided to not post any samples? What a shame
Old 3rd February 2018
Neumann U47, Golden Age Premier GA-47, Warm Audio Wa-47, Neumann M147

Hello again,

We had lot's of fun yesterday comparing the Neumann U47, Golden Age Premier GA-47, Warm Audio Wa-47 and Neumann M147! It'll take a few hours to export the audio and video, but I'll post both asap!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Age Premier - GA-47-u47_ga-47_wa-47_m147.jpg  
Old 4th February 2018
Blind test U47, GA-47, WA-47 and M147

I've just posted a little sneak preview of audio files recorded with the Golden Age Premier GA-47, the Neumann U47, the Neumann M147 and the Warm Audio Wa-47 over here:

Warm Audio Introduces WA-47 Tube Condenser Microphone

People kept asking me for a blind test, and as editing the videos will take some time, some of you might have fun!
Old 6th February 2018
Hi, I had two prototypes and one first run produced ga47, loved them.
Less hyped im the highend than my flea47, dencer midrange than my fet47. A great workhorse.

Tengman - It s life V2.wav - Google Drive

A track I produced using only the Ga47, moving one around the studio, for every instrument. So, on lead vocal, mono overhead, on all guitars, and on a amped wurlitzer.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlofBerggren View Post
Less hyped im the highend than my flea47, dencer midrange than my fet47. A great workhorse.

A track I produced using only the Ga47, moving one around the studio, for every instrument. So, on lead vocal, mono overhead, on all guitars, and on a amped wurlitzer.
That's an awesome advert for this Mic. Better than I expected - very balanced
Old 7th February 2018
Quote:

Did you high pass everything but the bass and kick, or this is the sound of the microphone?
Old 7th February 2018
Quote:
Did you high pass everything but the bass and kick, or this is the sound of the microphone?
Loads of hipass, tracked thru a 1073 and I am addicted to the hipass on it drums = the ga47 kit microphone has non and the basamp, a bassman has non.

Might add that most sounds passed thru my mc77 that needs a recap, sounds abit thin thou I love the distortion it gives

Last edited by OlofBerggren; 7th February 2018 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: Adding info
Old 7th February 2018
Quote:
Loads of hipass, tracked thru a 1073 and I am addicted to the hipass on it drums = the ga47 kit microphone has non and the basamp, a bassman has non.

Might add that most sounds passed thru my mc77 that needs a recap, sounds abit thin thou I love the distortion it gives
So I heard it right, sounds good (minus the high pass )!
Old 7th February 2018
Quote:
So I heard it right, sounds good (minus the high pass )!
Thanks for the feedback! Hard to fix on this track now as it was tracked with the highpass but will keep it in mind for future Recordings
Old 7th February 2018
GOLDEN AGE PREMIER GA-47 vs WA-47, M-147, U-47

Hey everyone,

I just put 57 high-quality audio files and 9 videos online, comparing the Golden Age Premier GA-47 to the Warm Audio WA-47, to the Neumann M-147 and the original Neumann U-47!

I started a new thread in the right section over here:
The Big U47 Style Microphone Shootout feat. GA-47, WA-47, NEUMANN U-47 and M-147!

For those of you who prefer not to be biased by brand names, I included a blind shootout for download!

You can also find the videos on Youtube:

Hope you like it!

Last edited by roughgear; 7th February 2018 at 07:13 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search