The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Golden Age Premier - GA-47
Old 27th June 2018
Sure, here are the .wav files
Attached Files

Vox-OMNI-Golden-Age-Premier-GA-47.wav (1.07 MB, 2975 views)

Vox-OMNI-Neumann-U67-Reissue.wav (1.07 MB, 2957 views)

Vox-CARDIOID-Golden-Age-Premier-GA-47.wav (2.26 MB, 2986 views)

Vox-CARDIOID-Neumann-U67-Reissue.wav (2.26 MB, 2984 views)

Old 27th June 2018
Here's a quick comparison if you aim for a U67 Sound with the Golden Age Premier GA-47.
In cardioid mode, the GA-47 is a bit darker than the U67 but with a bit of EQ you can make the GA-47 sound very close to the Neumann U67. Can you tell which one is which?

You can send me a PM and I'll mail the answer to you
Attached Files

Vox-MicA.mp3 (356.0 KB, 3520 views)

Vox-MicB.mp3 (356.0 KB, 3521 views)

Vox-MicA.wav (2.26 MB, 2913 views)

Vox-MicB.wav (2.26 MB, 2908 views)

Old 27th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughgear View Post
Can you tell which one is which?
My guess is, the U67 is A, GA47 is B.
Old 27th June 2018
Slim chance anyone has both of these mics, but boy I would love to hear a A/B against a Chandler REDD mic.
Old 27th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards Machine View Post
Slim chance anyone has both of these mics, but boy I would love to hear a A/B against a Chandler REDD mic.
Those two and the REDD are very different mic's and very far apart, you'll want both the REDD and either a U67 or Gap 47.
Old 28th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Those two and the REDD are very different mic's and very far apart, you'll want both the REDD and either a U67 or Gap 47.
A/B's aren't always for like-sounding gear. Sure, I know about the differences in the REDD and GA, and have listened to everything available on both, but would still want to hear them on the same source in an A/B. The same room, same source, with close as possible settings always is very enlightening.
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Addict

Stoked for the Golden Age Premier 251. New picture of it on the website!
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Just went and checked it out........I'm going to have to do it.
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear
Looks great!! I'm holding out for the 251
Old 1st October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage.One View Post
Looks great!! I'm holding out for the 251
I just recieved the brand new Golden Age Premier GA-251 from Sweden for an upcoming test.
I got serial No. 001 (!) for my test and as far as I know, shipping starts in the beginning of October!
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Age Premier - GA-47-ga-251-open-suitcase.jpg   Golden Age Premier - GA-47-ga-251-open-box.jpg  
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Maniac

I’ve been all over my sales rep about when this is going to be shipping.
If it is anything like the GA-47 quality wise, this is going to be an awesome microphone.
Old 1st October 2018
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughgear View Post
In cardioid mode, the GA-47 is a bit darker than the U67
Not sure if this is saying something about the GA-47 or the new U67 but the 'U47' sound should be brighter than the 'U67' sound (a bump around 4-10kHz).
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Addict

Got my GA47 today, looks very nice. Excited to hear what it sounds like...
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Age Premier - GA-47-8e2f903f-ec8f-4f05-96d9-924ef1b78584.jpg  
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Congrats!

It's a great mic.
Old 29th December 2018
Here for the gear
Here is a picture of the internals of a GAP47 microphone.
Some notes on the construction:

- The tube is mounted in such a way, that the wires from the capsule to the tube are unnecessary long, causing extra capacity and (audible) sensitivity to movement of the wires. It would have been better to mount the tube upside down.

- Some components and junctions between components are 'floating' in the air.
Although this will reduce (electric) capacity, this makes the construction fragile.
There is nothing against point-to-point wiring, but there should be solid supports for the components.

- The circuit is completely different from a U47. The high value of the grid resitor (1 G.ohm) will make the microphone more sensitive to high humidity or capsule pollution.

- The whole construction looks a bit 'improvised'...

Personally I would never pay a price in the $1700 range for such a microphone!
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Age Premier - GA-47-gap47.jpg  
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuudNL View Post

- The tube is mounted in such a way, that the wires from the capsule to the tube are unnecessary long, causing extra capacity and (audible) sensitivity to movement of the wires. It would have been better to mount the tube upside down.

Although this will reduce (electric) capacity, this makes the construction fragile.
There is nothing against point-to-point wiring, but there should be solid supports for the components.

- The circuit is completely different from a U47. The high value of the grid resitor (1 G.ohm) will make the microphone more sensitive to high humidity or capsule pollution.

Hmm. I just purchased one of these mics today from Alto Music on Reverb. They had it marked down due to it being B Stock and were running a New Years sale so I couldn't resist the price. Reading your account of the construction is not making me feel great though. I'll report back when I've tested the mic enough. Alto Music is really generous with their return policy so I may switch it out for a 251 style mic (maybe Golden Age Premier's) if this cross between a 47 and 67 doesn't suit my voice. That would be substantially more money though.... So I'm really hoping this works out! Other accounts of the sound in this thread by owners seems really positive though.

I'm planning on running it through Tegeler Audio's VTRC tube channel strip on the way in so I can add some lovely pultec high end and opto compression to make it come alive.
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchsia View Post
Hmm. I just purchased one of these mics today from Alto Music on Reverb. They had it marked down due to it being B Stock and were running a New Years sale so I couldn't resist the price. Reading your account of the construction is not making me feel great though. I'll report back when I've tested the mic enough. Alto Music is really generous with their return policy so I may switch it out for a 251 style mic (maybe Golden Age Premier's) if this cross between a 47 and 67 doesn't suit my voice. That would be substantially more money though.... So I'm really hoping this works out! Other accounts of the sound in this thread by owners seems really positive though.

I'm planning on running it through Tegeler Audio's VTRC tube channel strip on the way in so I can add some lovely pultec high end and opto compression to make it come alive.
Wait till you get the mic before rushing to judgment. I have this mic and have opened my mic and can tell you it looks like a custom built mic, not an assembly line mic and to some that might be scary, but it sounds great.
I also have the GA-251 they just released and that is also a solid mic. You can’t go wrong with with either and Bo at GA stands behind his products.
I’m happy with both my purchases and would buy again no questions asked.
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
Wait till you get the mic before rushing to judgment. I have this mic and have opened my mic and can tell you it looks like a custom built mic, not an assembly line mic and to some that might be scary, but it sounds great.
I also have the GA-251 they just released and that is also a solid mic. You can’t go wrong with with either and Bo at GA stands behind his products.
I’m happy with both my purchases and would buy again no questions asked.
Thanks for jumping in here to assuage my fears! I just don't have a ton of money to spend on mics. Probably jumped the gun a bit getting stressed over one person's account who seems to not actually own the mic (as far as I can tell). I was really going back and forth between the Stam Audio SA-47 and the Golden Age Premier GA-47. There just isn't a ton of information on either one and it was a bit disparaging to read someone saying the construction of the GA-47 wasn't really up to snuff. At any rate, I was ready to pull the trigger on one of them and I got the GA-47 as price reduced B-Stock so I couldn't resist.

Hope I like the capsule too. The cross between the 67 and 47 style has me intrigued. Hopefully it'll sound good on my voice.
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchsia View Post
Thanks for jumping in here to assuage my fears! I just don't have a ton of money to spend on mics. Probably jumped the gun a bit getting stressed over one person's account who seems to not actually own the mic (as far as I can tell). I was really going back and forth between the Stam Audio SA-47 and the Golden Age Premier GA-47. There just isn't a ton of information on either one and it was a bit disparaging to read someone saying the construction of the GA-47 wasn't really up to snuff. At any rate, I was ready to pull the trigger on one of them and I got the GA-47 as price reduced B-Stock so I couldn't resist.

Hope I like the capsule too. The cross between the 67 and 47 style has me intrigued. Hopefully it'll sound good on my voice.
I had a Stam SA-67 on order for 11 months before I finally threw in the towel and canceled. If they are in stock, decent products from what I have heard, but if they aren’t in stock, don’t expect delivery for a year and that will only be because of numerous emails to the company.

I’m desperately trying to find the time to do some recordings with the GA-47 and GA-251 side by side. Just finding the time to setup it all up and do it right is eluding me.
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
I had a Stam SA-67 on order for 11 months before I finally threw in the towel and canceled. If they are in stock, decent products from what I have heard, but if they aren’t in stock, don’t expect delivery for a year and that will only be because of numerous emails to the company.

I’m desperately trying to find the time to do some recordings with the GA-47 and GA-251 side by side. Just finding the time to setup it all up and do it right is eluding me.
Yeah I've heard that Stam can take a really long time to ship things out. That is actually one of the reasons I jumped on the GA-47. I knew it would come sooner.

I would LOVE to hear some recordings of the GA-47 and GA-251 side by side! Especially on vocals. If you get around to it ever please post them rocket I'd be super thankful

Trying to see if it's worth getting a GA-251 also to do A/B tests on my vocals to really pick which one is best. I have 30 days to decide if I want to return the GA-47 when it arrives. The other mic I was deciding between was the GA-251. Was torn between the 47 style sound and the 251 style sound.
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Head

So... What you're saying is that this mic has worse specs than the mic that costs almost 10 times as much and which it is not really modelled after...? Ok, good to know (or something).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuudNL View Post

Old 3rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyberg View Post
So... What you're saying is that this mic has worse specs than the mic that costs almost 10 times as much and which it is not really modelled after...? Ok, good to know (or something).
No, he says the mic could have been made better when selling for $1.7K . . and I do agree
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Head

Pretty sure that's not what he's saying, but if he is... What product can NOT be bettered at its specific price point? Look, this mic sounds flipping awesome. Is it ever so slightly flawed? Yup. Will it matter to most users? Probably not. Can you get a "better" mic for the money? Maybe. Does that matter? Nah, not in the slightest. The GA47 provides me with something I can't get from any of my other mics. Maybe to someone else it won't have that impact. In that case, get a Warm mic, or whatever is fancy atm. All good, it will keep our music sounding different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
No, he says the mic could have been made better when selling for $1.7K . . and I do agree
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty sure that's not what he's saying, but if he is... What product can NOT be bettered at its specific price point? Look, this mic sounds flipping awesome. Is it ever so slightly flawed? Yup. Will it matter to most users? Probably not. Can you get a "better" mic for the money? Maybe. Does that matter? Nah, not in the slightest. The GA47 provides me with something I can't get from any of my other mics. Maybe to someone else it won't have that impact. In that case, get a Warm mic, or whatever is fancy atm. All good, it will keep our music sounding different.
Quote:
The GA47 provides me with something I can't get from any of my other mics.

Hey man, good for you because that's what it is all about
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Good post, so true.
Going to record a metal vocalist today and looking forward to giving this mic a go on something new, along with the GA-251.
Solid products, for sure.
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

New u47 clone

Hi guys! Just I finished my u47 clone..finally. This microphone is not a Diy kit! It use a k47 style capsule and a bv 08 type transformer, manufactured in EU.
The circuit isn't exactly like in the original u47, because I used a different tube type..ec92 but all the passive components they are high quality parts. The headgrill is made from 3 different mesh layers type, same as vintage u47, and the body tube is manufactured from massive chrome steel.
The results.. you can see and hear
I appreciate any suggestions and comments about.
PS- English demo coming soon
Attached Thumbnails
Golden Age Premier - GA-47-20190127_002901.jpg   Golden Age Premier - GA-47-20181209_184149.jpg   Golden Age Premier - GA-47-20181209_184040.jpg  
Attached Files

prototip.mp3 (4.13 MB, 956 views)

Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Hi Calin, . . . sorry, but i think you're posting this in the wrong thread.
this thread is about the GA-47, not diy U-47 style clones.
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Head

Just wanted to pop in and say that I recently got a GA-47 and it sounds killer! Really solid piece of gear. On the vocalist I'm using it on it really paired well with his brighter sounding voice. It adds a thickness that we weren't able to find with other mics. It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges but it beat out the U87ai in the studio by a landslide. It has a great subtle saturation that makes my life easier when it comes time for mixing. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a mic that will thicken up their voice. Surprisingly, I don't find it overly dark, however. I hear a lot of people refer to it as one of the darker U47 clones and I actually find that it has some nice sizzle on top. Not in an obnoxious way though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search