The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flock Audio: Introducing The PATCH System (Announcement) Patchbays
Old 5th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Nah the 64 is 32 balanced in and out, the 128 is 64 balanced in and out
Are u sure? It’s just that on the site it mentioned two channels were needed for balanced
Old 7th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Wait a minute, am I correct in assuming that the 128 channels ireally only means 32 balanced channels in and out? So same as Flock? If so that’s WAY to small for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Nah the 64 is 32 balanced in and out, the 128 is 64 balanced in and out

Quote:
Are u sure? It’s just that on the site it mentioned two channels were needed for balanced
Patchbays are often specified in points instead of channels, probably to make it appear more impressive. The number on the box is the actual matrix size or individual channels.

The one on the site is the smallest version with 128 points > 64x64 matrix. How many you need for balanced depends on what you want. Without any external (reversed) DI it offers a 32x32 balanced matrix.

The biggest possible version has 1024 points > 256x256 balanced matrix only. That is too risky to build now without any guarantee.

The biggest build version has 512 points > 128x128 balanced matrix for demo purposes cause most seem to need this size.

The price of any version is roughly per point.
Old 7th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcross View Post
Patchbays are often specified in points instead of channels, probably to make it appear more impressive. The number on the box is the actual matrix size or individual channels.

The one on the site is the smallest version with 128 points > 64x64 matrix. How many you need for balanced depends on what you want. Without any external (reversed) DI it offers a 32x32 balanced matrix.

The biggest possible version has 1024 points > 256x256 balanced matrix only. That is too risky to build now without any guarantee.

The biggest build version has 512 points > 128x128 balanced matrix for demo purposes cause most seem to need this size.

The price of any version is roughly per point.
Ok cool thanks for clarifying. That's exactly what I thought. The 128 version (32 balanced) and the Flock one (32 balanced) just seem too small to me (that's just my opinion) If I had that little gear, patching would not be too much of an issue anyway. The 512 (128x128) however is VERY interesting to me because it solves the issue of owning too much gear to patch. My unsolicited opinion is just market the 512 one when it's ready. I think there would be a much larger market for it.
Old 7th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Keep developing ur product. It sounds amazing and many will buy if it’s big enough full of channels! When the time comes, a few examples of drums, vocals and mix with flipped phase next to regular patch bays would give me more useful info than typicsl s/n specs or frequency. Same goes for Flock. The main thing that worries me about Flock is their software. If the company goes under (as most do within a few years) how will we control it? I’d like a future proof setup as well that does not exclusively need the software. Maybe midi capabilities?
It is installed in a local commercial studio and we are working on AB recordings, which is remarkably hard to set up properly. We began with acoustic drums but that was a bridge too far to start with. It is an all or nothing thing, it has to be setup 100% correct otherwise the studio cannot function and everything has to go back to conventional until the next meeting. But we keep on going till we have a proper demo.

Studio patching configurations can be switched by midi but that is not what you mean I think. A software controlled patchbay needs software. It would be horrible to patch gear by midi without a proper interface. The worst that can happen is that you need a dedicated old pc that your latest stable Flock software runs on. Today you can still buy atari's with superior midi timing cause it has a dedicated clock and get the midi software for it. I would not worry about that too much (or not at all) if there is at least one stable version of the software that you are happy to work with. That will not stop to function on the day a company goes under. Xbay provides a javascript interface which makes it possible to make your own interface but same applies, as long as there is a stable software version it is basically future proof.

It is however not a pleasant situation that you have a product from a bankrupt company, there is nothing I can say to make that any different. If nobody wants to take any risk regarding that then we are doomed I guess. Maybe Behringer will pick up the idea sometime and makes it for a few bucks.
Old 7th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Ok cool thanks for clarifying. That's exactly what I thought. The 128 version (32 balanced) and the Flock one (32 balanced) just seem too small to me (that's just my opinion) If I had that little gear, patching would not be too much of an issue anyway. The 512 (128x128) however is VERY interesting to me because it solves the issue of owning too much gear to patch. My unsolicited opinion is just market the 512 one when it's ready. I think there would be a much larger market for it.
The 512 is ready but we have no chips for it yet to make a small stock. It needs 4x the chips of the smallest one. I am seriously considering sacrificing the stock of small ones. Nobody seems to give a **** about the small ones but the 512 is an expensive beast, that's a problem too. That is the struggle.
Old 7th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcross View Post
The 512 is ready but we have no chips for it yet to make a small stock. It needs 4x the chips of the smallest one. I am seriously considering sacrificing the stock of small ones. Nobody seems to give a **** about the small ones but the 512 is an expensive beast, that's a problem too. That is the struggle.
Yeah it ain’t easy. Do u have a ballpark cost of what it would be?
Old 16th January 2019
Gear Nut

Did anyone end up getting one of these? no real world reviews out there - lots of promo lol ... any news on bigger version coming down the pipeline? 64 i/o / 128 i/o ? I appreciate it takes time to build a company and the product line but a bigger version would be so awesome! cheers
Old 19th January 2019
Here for the gear

well they seem to have arrived here in the UK, at 2200ukp (2800 dollars) so not exactly a no brainer purchase. Would be great to also hear the real world reviews and see the noise specs
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Head
Here's my real-world review:

Sonic: 10/10 (I can't hear a difference vs my LIAISON so... )

Build: 9.5/10 It's a solid hunk of 1U rackmount. Al the XLR and DB25's are mounted to the chassis so it's really robust. (.5 lost for no strain relief for USB cable)

Software: 8/10 (it's still earliy in, a few GUI things and a personal opinion gribe on it needing internet).

Support: 9/10 (they're super fast returning emails. .5 point lost for no phone support and .5 lost for never knowing who I'm talking to via email)

Pricing: 10/10 (The LIASON is $300 more and offers 6 stereo patch points with an added paralell bus and polarity. I cant think of anything else that offers what the flock does at this price.. essentially 16 stereo or 32 mono or any combo up to 32)

Expandability: 6/10. you can Cascade multiple units, but have to sacrifice I/O for send/return paths. For the cost of 2 or more units, you're losing i/o ... and that's a costly sacrifice. But, to be fair, I feel like this first offering from Flock is for users with a bunch of lunchboxes wanted to mix and match their front end quickly while tracking in a project studio. My hope is that with (deserved) success of this thing, they'll release a 2U or 4U unit with 64 in/out or 128in/out. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search