The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio to unveil new OX Amp Top Box at Summer NAMM Show
Old 1 week ago
First impressions from the videos are that it seems far too expensive for what it is, and still seems to have that strange UAD digital clipping sound going on (or is that meant to be speaker distortion?). The room verbs sounded far too clean to my ears too, not sure what it is about digital verbs they can be lush and awesome in their own way, but when it comes to rooms they just never quite do it, either it's a cathedral or it's a toilet. They seem to lack resonant frequencies, standing waves, the comb filtering of perpendicular surfaces, they sound like you're standing between just two infinite walls...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Bird View Post
Dude, where have you been when they taught at shool the saying: " If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."?
I generally stick to this rule- plus there's always 5 other guys who will have already voiced my opinion anyway... but seriously 1,300 for that- and it doesn't even let you load your own cabinet impulses? That alone would make me steer clear regardless of price.

The guy who said that UAD is the Apple of the audio world is right, and I mean that in the most distasteful way possible. Sorry
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude, where have you been when they taught at shool the saying: " If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."?
Would you tell that to the boy pointing at the naked emperor?

Box looks good though. Will follow.

I've got this older Weber MASS right now, which is a real speaker coil-magnet w/ damping. An all-in-one device such as thus sure has me interested.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
Can someone layman the **** out of this for me?.i understand the general principal of impedance,but never quite understood how it pertains to sound.as in the actual audible effect it imparts onto audio
It gets louder and quieter / your amp has to work harder or less.

Impedance is resistance for AC circuits. More in depth answer to your ensuing questions here : What is the difference between resistance and impedance?

Because it's basically "how hard is it for electricity to flow through the circuit" it has an effect both on the speaker circuit and on the amp doing the pushing of said electricity. This can affect the tone, breakup, other characteristics... slightly. That's kinda the crux, it's an incredibly subtle effect.

The cab and room are the things that most amp sims and certainly plain old convolution driven algo's get wrong, so I applaud UAD for trying to do this in modeling/hybrid, at least there's some investment of technology in this field. I'm just not convinced by their results yet, and the price is just too high.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidar View Post
Would you tell that to the boy pointing at the naked emperor?
Sorry, but I don't see no little boy here, nor do I see an emperor parading naked on the streets. What I do see is an frustrated armchair quarterback, sitting behind his computer and spitting out some dirt on an product which was announced literally minutes before he posted here. So of course he knows nothing about it which not prevented him from being rude.

So I call BS on that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't see no little boy here, nor do I see an emperor parading naked on the streets. What I do see is an frustrated armchair quarterback, sitting behind his computer and spitting out some dirt on an product which was announced literally minutes before he posted here. So of course he knows nothing about it which not prevented him from being rude.

So I call BS on that.

1) Why does he need to try the product when the specs and photo are clearly displayed?

2) Maybe some people are being rude, but UA are being ruder still by ripping off the ignorant (like my friend who bought a UAD Satellite thinking it will make a big difference in his work). That's their right to price their products as high as they want. And it's our right, the less ignorant, to spit as much dirt as we see fit
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
1) Why does he need to try the product when the specs and photo are clearly displayed?
Dude, if have to ask this seriously, then probabely your access to reality is not an empirical one.

Quote:
2) Maybe some people are being rude, but UA are being ruder still by ripping off the ignorant (like my friend who bought a UAD Satellite thinking it will make a big difference in his work).
If your friend can't get the job done with an UAD Satellite then it seems that the interface might not be the problem here.

Quote:
And it's our right, the less ignorant, to spit as much dirt as we see fit ...
Pride goes before a fall.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Dude, if have to ask this seriously, then probabely your access to reality is not an empirical one.
Well I'll clarify this from my point of view. Even if it performs all of its advertised claims flawlessly, it is still lacking fundamental features that are present with the main competitor. Two-Notes' Torpedo Live! was released a good few years ago and is still current because I am able to use up-to-date third-party cabs and reverb IRs.

UA on the other hand is going the proprietary route with everything built-in. So if I want to use some awesome cab IR's I bought from OwnHammer, I can't do that with the UA which is more expensive that the Torpedo Live.

Quote:
If your friend can't get the job done with an UAD Satellite then it seems that the interface might not be the problem here.
Unless your track counts are small, then you'll run out of DSP juice quite quickly using even the latest gen Satellite hardware. For the premium price, the hardware should have a lot more horsepower. I think that's a fair criticism. Tech is moving fast and UAD are not keeping up. That's fine but then at least chill on your pricing strategy.

Quote:
Pride goes before a fall.
I'm hardly being proud by thinking that I, along with any slutz here, are more informed on gear than your average joe walking into a store...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Am I the only one who´s wondering why this isn´t in the "coming soon subforum" ? I mean HP says "coming this winter"...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So if I want to use some awesome cab IR's I bought from OwnHammer, I can't do that with the UA which is more expensive that the Torpedo Live.
You can indeed use your own IR's. To do so, you benefit from OX's superior reactive load; then choose the "DI" setting in the software which imparts no cab'; then insert your own IR in your DAW. With OX you could even mic the amp; use OX's dynamic speaker model; and the DI for your own IR - all at the same time!

For the record, OX's speaker emulations are dynamic, and react like a real speaker. Impulse responses are static - which is fine I guess, but the level of realism with OX's dynamic speaker emulations is truly special.

Two Notes Torpedo Studio is $1850, while their Torpedo Live is $995. OX is priced right in between at $1299.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

So is the idea that you purchase additional UAD cab emulations and load them onto the hardware with the app?
If it's UAD they won't be charging 6 euro per cab, so might be something else to factor in with the price comparisons.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova View Post
To reflect on my own comment:
it would actually make much more sense to have this editor available inside UA Console. When recording, I want the whole session in one place, and don't want to grab an iPad for editing the cabs and microphones of one device. It needs to connect with an Apollo. I really hope UA considered this, otherwise I'm not that interested anymore.

I agree - I don't want another device kicking around and would also like to know if you can edit within console.
This does look very cool!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
For the record, I own a SF Apollo Quad, an Apollo 8 Duo and a Quad Satellite TB. And a few thousand in purchased plugins. Their interfaces and plugins are top notch. So when they announced the OX AMP, I took a long look.

I have been thinking about purchasing a Torpedo Reload for my studio for a while. I have been using a Radial JDV and an X-Amp for re-amping. This pair gives me good results when re-amping. But the Reload has their Match technology that makes getting levels from the DI track to closely reflect the actual guitar used to lay the track down an easy process. Adding the reactive load and IR cab import and at $849 it made a lot of sense to me.

Since I moved and had surgery, my studio is in limbo so I held off. Now UA is coming out with OX AMP. I suspect that what Scott Greiner says about the quality of the UA cab sims is valid, based on their amp sims that I own.

Quote:
OX's speaker emulations are dynamic, and react like a real speaker. Impulse responses are static - which is fine I guess, but the level of realism with OX's dynamic speaker emulations is truly special.
Quote:
You can indeed use your own IR's. To do so, you benefit from OX's superior reactive load; then choose the "DI" setting in the software which imparts no cab'; then insert your own IR in your DAW.
If OX AMP could load standard IR files, it would add value to the product for those who already own IRs they like. Also look at what Celestion is doing. They are releasing IRs of seven of their classic speaker models in various combinations, including open and closed back cabs. I suspect the Celestion IRs will be close to the quality of the UA cab emulations.

There is also no mention of whether UA will be releasing additional cab packs. That would add to my personal perception of the value of the OX down the road.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

In every guitar recording thread there's mention of IRs. I feel like it's the new industry standard, unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if Celestion did the IRs because it has the growth opportunity that actual speakers don't and people are buying IRs up like crazy.

They can't do what an actual speaker can, but they CAN make it so someone without any skill at miking a cab can still get very useable tones.
IRs can only get you so far, though. Theoretically an algorithm like what this box uses can get you an infinitely more realistic sound than an impulse snapshot. Impulses can't capture everything a real speaker produces. They can't capture anything that modulates over time.

However, impulses can sound good. Sometimes they're hard to tell apart from the real speaker (especially if you use really clean preamps and high wattage speakers that don't introduce distortion or other nonlinear side effects). The Torpedo Live has done an excellent job at presenting good sound from an IR. Often it sounds better than trying to mike whatever cab the guitarist happens to use.

This OX could be awesome if done right and with enough selection of cabs. $300 more than a Torpedo Live. Not bad, if it delivers on the sound.

I wonder what the latency is? Torpedo Live is 3ms. I'd guess OX is at least 3ms.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
You can indeed use your own IR's. To do so, you benefit from OX's superior reactive load; then choose the "DI" setting in the software which imparts no cab'; then insert your own IR in your DAW. With OX you could even mic the amp; use OX's dynamic speaker model; and the DI for your own IR - all at the same time!

For the record, OX's speaker emulations are dynamic, and react like a real speaker. Impulse responses are static - which is fine I guess, but the level of realism with OX's dynamic speaker emulations is truly special.

Two Notes Torpedo Studio is $1850, while their Torpedo Live is $995. OX is priced right in between at $1299.
What cabinets will be included in the package. I am a metal guitarist and i have a demand for 4x12 cabinets: Mesa, Diezel, Bogner, Marshall, Engl...

The combos shown in the summer namm videos sounded very nice, but they are more suitable for different styles
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
Having three going at the same time is cool. I'm sure there will be people who will like this product. I am not here to just spew negativity but I really think the next time UA make a boutique product like this they should future-proof it by letting people load the IR's directly into the device- so their specific IR's can be used without a cab for stage or otherwise.

For example bishop666, the poster above me is asking about metal cabs. I am somewhat sure that the cabs included will have a decent range but not include all the sounds he is looking for.

Finally, I'm not sure its fair to say that modern IR's can only get so far and don't sound like an actual mic on a speaker cab. Have you tried OwnHammer or other high-quality IR's? As a guitarist (terrible skills but a decent ear) I feel like it reacts in a dynamic way and feels pretty much like playing through an actual cab. Maybe more guitarists can chime in on this?
Old 1 week ago
Anyone know if it is required to have a speaker connected to it at all times?
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedbyolivier View Post
Hey Gannon, thanks for those details - that box looks great, can't wait to hear it!

I have one further question concerning pricing:

Is there gonna be paying options like cabs, FXs, mics, and all? In other words, do you really get everything when you buy the 1299$ box?

Thanks,
Olivier
Hi Olivier,

As far as I know, this is all inclusive - no hidden optional costs.

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo81 View Post
Anyone know if it is required to have a speaker connected to it at all times?
Hi Cocobolo81,

A speaker is not required - the reactive load is designed to handle all of that and completely protect your amp. We even have a 16 ohm safety load that instantly engages if the power to OX gets cut.

Cheers!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm not sure its fair to say that modern IR's can only get so far and don't sound like an actual mic on a speaker cab. Have you tried OwnHammer or other high-quality IR's? As a guitarist (terrible skills but a decent ear) I feel like it reacts in a dynamic way and feels pretty much like playing through an actual cab. Maybe more guitarists can chime in on this?
I do have OwnHammer impulses. Have you looked at how IRs work? It IS fair to say they can only get you so far. Convolution cannot reproduce anything more than one snapshot. They cannot capture the dirt or saturation added by analog gear, they cannot capture dynamics, they cannot capture nonlinear sounds like distortion or speaker break up, and they cannot capture modulation or anything that varies over time. Those are simply their limitations. Like I said, they can sound good, though, and they're 100% repeatable. For people not experienced with miking a cab an impulse response will likely yield better results.
Old 5 days ago
Not a lover of IR's, convolution is a useful tool but it's limited for the tasks it's most frequently applied to. You only get out the frequencies you put in (just at different magnitudes), unlike a real space or cab which is complex, has standing waves, resonance, sympathetic sounds, background noise etc.
Old 13 hours ago
Here for the gear
Does it require a UAD hardware/processor (UAD Accellerator) for the speaker/mic emulation, or is it just a plugin?
Old 13 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lest View Post
Does it require a UAD hardware/processor (UAD Accellerator) for the speaker/mic emulation, or is it just a plugin?
My understanding is that this is a stand alone product and the accelerator is not needed.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search