The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Scream" Distortion Plugin
Old 14th February 2017
Cytomic

Cytomic "The Scream" Distortion Plugin

Cytomic's next plugin "The Scream" is a very detailed model of an Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer pedal. It models every discrete component in the main signal path of the original (around 80 components) and uses Boyle macro modelled op-amps which include the PNP transistors at the input, slew rate limiting, frequency compensation capacitors, and output clipping. The price is USD 29.

I'll include the regular TS-808 controls:
  • Drive - distortion gain
  • Tone - basic bass / treble adjustment
  • Level - clean output level adjustment
  • On - button to switch the effect on /off (even if off will still process through the transistor buffers just like the regular pedal)

And also these mods:
  • Asym - diode asymmetry
  • Fat - lower the cutoff of the distortion high pass filter
  • Starve - battery starving
  • Bias - adjusting the bias level

The plugin will also feature input / output level controls, mix, and the regular Cytomic oversampling with realtime (x1 to x16) and render (x1 to x64) options.

I've almost completed the core DSP development now, the model is sounding spot on to the pedal (apart from the hiss!). I'll get a video done soon, but here are some pics of what I'm up to for now.

My development user interface where I can alter component values in a big table (edit: the % values in white under the main knobs cpu usage, maximum, minimum, and average going left to right):

The TS-808 I'm modelling:

Scope and spectrum plots of the ts-808 vs the scream. I've overlaid the screenshots using the "exclusion" mode so you can see the very minor differences more clearly:

Last edited by andy-cytomic; 14th February 2017 at 02:39 PM..
Old 14th February 2017
Lives for gear

Very nice. If it's anything like your previous work, this is gonna sound great!
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Have you thought about the Fat mod also letting you increase the hipass filter? Increasing the filter gives you a more "stringy" tone, lots of attack and definition. The modern metal crowd who would use this to boost into an amp would love it. Clean up the tone for big chords, and would really give that djenty, almost nasally quality. Going lower with the filter is already cool, nice way to get a fuzzier tone. Would have to call it Fatattack or something though. lol

I've only seen that option in hardware, so just throwing that out there.

Anyways, this looks great. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 15th February 2017
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrick View Post
Have you thought about the Fat mod also letting you increase the hipass filter? Increasing the filter gives you a more "stringy" tone, lots of attack and definition. The modern metal crowd who would use this to boost into an amp would love it. Clean up the tone for big chords, and would really give that djenty, almost nasally quality. Going lower with the filter is already cool, nice way to get a fuzzier tone. Would have to call it Fatattack or something though. lol

I've only seen that option in hardware, so just throwing that out there.

Anyways, this looks great. Can't wait to try it out.
The Fat mod is lowering the cutoff frequency of the high pass filter in the diode clipping feedback section. If you're talking about increasing this cutoff then I could call this "Thin", and have a switch between Fat / Normal / Thin. I just tried it out and it changes the tone quite dramatically.
Old 15th February 2017
Oh Andy there are many emu's of this pedal, but you doing it... hmm very interested.
Old 15th February 2017
Gear Maniac

cool. Is this usually used as a guitar pedal or has it become a tool for other things in studios across the world? Is it suitable to use with E-piano vsti's for example?
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

I reckon this thing'll be well good!!
Old 15th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-cytomic View Post
The Fat mod is lowering the cutoff frequency of the high pass filter in the diode clipping feedback section. If you're talking about increasing this cutoff then I could call this "Thin", and have a switch between Fat / Normal / Thin. I just tried it out and it changes the tone quite dramatically.
Yep, that would basically be it. I've only found this in hardware pedals, so would be cool to get that option in software. Here's a pedal basically doing the same thing. https://soundcloud.com/user-47088729...-misha-mansoor

It's a huge difference, really useful for high gain tones and modern metal players. I'm sure some guys with really boomy humbuckers would appreciate it as well.

This all depends on where you already have your filter set though. I haven't heard it, so your pedal may already be getting the right effect going. And going any higher could be pointless for a lot of players.
Old 17th February 2017
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland View Post
I reckon this thing'll be well good!!
Thanks Dom! It won't be the old Mackie mixer clipping I know you'd love, but it's a start, and it will sound bang on to the stomp box, but also allow a bunch of other fun variations with the bias adjustment and the battery starving
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Nut
nice, like to compare to UAD Ibanez® Tube Screamer TS808.
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Nut

Wonder how this will compare to the new kazrog tube screamer emulation: https://kazrogplugins.com/amember/product/VintageDriver
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_guy182_ View Post
Wonder how this will compare to the new kazrog tube screamer emulation: https://kazrogplugins.com/amember/product/VintageDriver
Well.. the Kazrog Vintage Driver thing doesn't sound or behave anything like any other emulation so my guess is, it's quite a bit off.. or it's based on some heavily modded pedal.

I haven't owned a TS in over a decade so I don't remember exactly how it sounds but I'm pretty confident in saying that the Kazrog tone knob (the filter) doesn't sound at all like the real deal. Not sure what he modeled or what it's supposed to do.

Like any of the Kazrog plugins, even if it isn't perhaps "authentic" I find the actual sound quality itself superb. There's just no hints of annoying frequency buildup at it's max quality setting. Which is such a refreshing thing in Amp Sim Land.
Old 20th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Well.. the Kazrog Vintage Driver thing doesn't sound or behave anything like any other emulation so my guess is, it's quite a bit off.. or it's based on some heavily modded pedal.

I haven't owned a TS in over a decade so I don't remember exactly how it sounds but I'm pretty confident in saying that the Kazrog tone knob (the filter) doesn't sound at all like the real deal. Not sure what he modeled or what it's supposed to do.

Like any of the Kazrog plugins, even if it isn't perhaps "authentic" I find the actual sound quality itself superb. There's just no hints of annoying frequency buildup at it's max quality setting. Which is such a refreshing thing in Amp Sim Land.
I would agree with that. The Kazrog TS is a great pedal, but imho it's Kazrog's idealised version. Brilliant nevertheless, but the Mercurali is the closest one I've tried so far.
Old 21st February 2017
Here for the gear

Wow! Do want. How soon will this be released?
Old 21st February 2017
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeksteve View Post
Wow! Do want. How soon will this be released?
I'm working on bullet proofing the solver right now, as soon as that is finished everything is predictable in terms of time. I would guess in around a month or two, but once I've got the solver totally nailed I'll give you a more accurate estimate
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Dom! It won't be the old Mackie mixer clipping I know you'd love, but it's a start, and it will sound bang on to the stomp box, but also allow a bunch of other fun variations with the bias adjustment and the battery starving
Any ITB distortion coming from someone equally as obsessive as me about the intricacies of analog is exciting!
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Head

More distortion! All the distortion! Distort the market with lots of distortion!

Andy, please build more and more distortion plug-ins after 'The Scream'! PLEASE!

There is a severe gap in this segment of the plug-in market .

Question: is x64 oversampling enough for distortion? Would x128 or even x256 be more beneficial?
Old 8th March 2017
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimieux View Post
Andy, please build more and more distortion plug-ins after 'The Scream'! PLEASE!

There is a severe gap in this segment of the plug-in market .

Question: is x64 oversampling enough for distortion? Would x128 or even x256 be more beneficial?
Yep, don't worry, I will! I'd like to tackle a RAT, Big Muff Pi, and a few others. I also want to do some console input stages and summing.

Even at x8 oversampling things are really clean, in fact the aliasing levels for most material are lower than the hiss levels in the original circuit! x64 is plenty of room to keep aliasing completely a non issue no matter what the input signal or crazy settings and gain staging you do.

Here is the latest render for the interface, I want it to match the regular product line as much as possible, minimal, black brushed metal, silver knobs:

In the gaps down each side at the bottom I'll put the controls PRE, POST, Mix on the left and STARVE, BIAS on the right, and there will be a strip along the top for the preset browser and oversampling settings etc like there usually is - this render is straight from the 3D app.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Looks great Andy. Excited to try it out.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Addict

Will this be zero Latency so we can play through it live?
Old 8th March 2017
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant View Post
Will this be zero Latency so we can play through it live?
Yes, you can switch off oversampling so there is no latency. I recommend if you want to play through it live then set your project sample rate to 88.2/96 kHz for decent quality drive, otherwise you'll have a muddy sound due to aliasing.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Very nice. I'm always in a need for quality distortion.
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Guru

Looks promising ...
Old 28th April 2017
mfx
Lives for gear

Hope Andy doesn't mind I'm pretty excited for him and all on this one and looking forward to the release!

[From KVRAudio thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-cytomic
News update: I didn't quite make it today, but tomorrow is looking great for a release

I added a big list of standard spice diode models, but things weren't sounding right with some of them - mainly to do with the non-linear diode capacitance terms, so yesterday I hit the math hard to get the diffusion (transit time) and junction diode capacitance terms sounding better, and had a eureka moment where I found a problem with what I was doing. Now everything is solving perfectly and it sounds awesome. There is a huge range of tones you can get just from changing a few diode parameters, it's very cool.

Here is how it's looking:

And here is an example of how it can sound with a few basic mods from the mods edit page - first is dry, then stock ts-808, then mod:
https://cytomic.com/files/scream-acid-test.mp3

(edit: thanks to Alex and the acidvoice gang Roland TB 303 Clones Test - Best VST Emulator for the fantastic 303 samples they have provided for audio examples)
Old 29th April 2017
Cytomic

Thanks mfx! The sonic pallet of this plugin is stupendously rich and cool, it is miles ahead of any other stomp box plugin I've tried in terms of raw power, fun, and versatility.

The beta release is on track for later on tonight, and will be available for purchase. I'll email once the web page is all updated and ready for action
Old 29th April 2017
Cytomic

News update: The Scream Beta is now available, and if you like it you can buy it for USD 29

It is an astounding little plugin, with an unprecedented level of detail and accuracy, and you can edit every component value in the entire circuit if you want to go nuts, or just use the easy edit page to select a bunch of different clipping diodes and main main tone filter caps from menus.

I'll spend the next couple of weeks fleshing out the release with audio examples, finishing the manual, and doing some presets, but I wanted to let people have a play as soon as possible with it so here it is!
Old 29th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
News update: The Scream Beta is now available, and if you like it you can buy it for USD 29

It is an astounding little plugin, with an unprecedented level of detail and accuracy, and you can edit every component value in the entire circuit if you want to go nuts, or just use the easy edit page to select a bunch of different clipping diodes and main main tone filter caps from menus.

I'll spend the next couple of weeks fleshing out the release with audio examples, finishing the manual, and doing some presets, but I wanted to let people have a play as soon as possible with it so here it is!
This thing rocks!
Old 30th April 2017
mfx
Lives for gear

I just love what Cytomic has come up with and exploring the Mods in this deceiving little plugin is quite incredible. There are so many different combinstion of diodes, voltage controls and other tweaks each with their own little sweet spots for any sound the user puts through it.
On first look it seems just a simple stomp box...get under the hood and wow! Value for money and the quality is astounding.
Great plugin Andy well done!
Old 30th April 2017
Gear Addict

Wow. Great tone maker. I played with it just few minutes but I can surely see it as sweetener for snyths also. Especialy my Analog Four is lusting for some other overdrive.

To beta: Could you please solve high volume clicks when changing some mods parameters?
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

Amazing plugin!!! The mod section is just geek heaven. The range of sounds is phenomenal.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search