The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Scream" Distortion Plugin
Old 19th June 2019
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwogo View Post
waiting for Scream release is like reading "War and Peace", if you know what I mean.

"good things take time", they say
It feels like War and Peace to me too, but this is going to be a stupendously cool plugin once it's finally done.
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Head

any news?
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
any news?
We're approaching the 3-year anniversary of this topic.
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Nut

new products "coming soon". right.

this screamer better be good.
Old 5th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwogo View Post
new products "coming soon". right.

this screamer better be good.
It already is, I use it all the time.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

I bought it along time ago and use it all the time, great for that Alessandro Cortini vibe.

I have a sneaky feeling things are quiet because this plug-in May end up in Ableton ? Just a wild guess based on zero rumours.
Old 16th October 2019
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
We're approaching the 3-year anniversary of this topic.
LOL! Yeah, it has taken a while, but things are going great with development. It's the closing stretch now, and I hope to get it finished early December.

The low cpu mode, which I think is essential for a practical product, was pretty much an open area of R&D to tackle properly, but I've nailed it and things are looking great for new products using this same automated solving back end I've done.

In the last couple of weeks I've got up and running a critical part of the product. When changes and randomisations are made to the component values a bunch of stuff is needed to be computed, so I've got all this happening in the background, and once it's ready it is hot swapped without causing any cpu spike in the main audio processing thread, which is really important to provide glitch free audio. This means you'll be able to randomise away and hear important differences in tone, and not have horrible dropouts to contend with.

I've also spent some time re-visiting the UI design to make it a little less busy. Here is the current look and feel:

Old 16th October 2019
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I bought it along time ago and use it all the time, great for that Alessandro Cortini vibe.

I have a sneaky feeling things are quiet because this plug-in May end up in Ableton ? Just a wild guess based on zero rumours.
I won't be licensing The Scream to Ableton. The Scream is too high level a plugin for them anyway. Ableton have already done a basic TS808 emulation in their device called Pedal, which they developed independently, and that is enough cpu/detail for their requirements. The Scream was done to be the most accurate, detailed, and customisable TS808 emulation to date, and nothing that I know of can compete with it in this regard.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-cytomic View Post
LOL! Yeah, it has taken a while, but things are going great with development. It's the closing stretch now, and I hope to get it finished early December.

The low cpu mode, which I think is essential for a practical product, was pretty much an open area of R&D to tackle properly, but I've nailed it and things are looking great for new products using this same automated solving back end I've done.

In the last couple of weeks I've got up and running a critical part of the product. When changes and randomisations are made to the component values a bunch of stuff is needed to be computed, so I've got all this happening in the background, and once it's ready it is hot swapped without causing any cpu spike in the main audio processing thread, which is really important to provide glitch free audio. This means you'll be able to randomise away and hear important differences in tone, and not have horrible dropouts to contend with.

I've also spent some time re-visiting the UI design to make it a little less busy. Here is the current look and feel:

random will be in tolerances of electrical components -> subtle (also independent for each channel)?
Old 16th October 2019
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkstate View Post
random will be in tolerances of electrical components -> subtle (also independent for each channel)?
The randomisation engine will allow for slight or drastic variations and mutations. There mono and stereo scaling sliders to adjust the depth the random values are applied to the circuit. So you click Randomise, then new random numbers of computed for each and every component and parameter in the circuit, then you can fine tune the depth these numbers are applied to the circuit.

All presets will store all the random numbers generated for recall, so you can pass your "golden unit" to your friends, or use it as a starting point for further subtle variations, so you can have a slightly different sound on every track.

edit: it's pretty amazing to hear how even a mono guitar sound or synth loop can be widened and become stereo with these types of variations
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
The randomisation engine will allow for slight or drastic variations and mutations. There mono and stereo scaling sliders to adjust the depth the random values are applied to the circuit. So you click Randomise, then new random numbers of computed for each and every component and parameter in the circuit, then you can fine tune the depth these numbers are applied to the circuit.

All presets will store all the random numbers generated for recall, so you can pass your "golden unit" to your friends, or use it as a starting point for further subtle variations, so you can have a slightly different sound on every track.

edit: it's pretty amazing to hear how even a mono guitar sound or synth loop can be widened and become stereo with these types of variations
Looking forward for next gen simulation. I was hoping to get to that point at some day. Now lets talk about digital and analog as source for inspiration what to take from what world. 8-)
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Looking great! Will the mod section still allow the changing of any component value?
Old 17th October 2019
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
Looking great! Will the mod section still allow the changing of any component value?
The mod section will just be the current "easy" page, but with stepped knobs to adjust most of the values, and then you click on the little diode in the top right to open the full schematic editor, where you can click on the name of a component (eg D102) and a list pops up with all parameters for it to edit. This makes it less like editing a spreadsheet, and a bit quicker to locate the values you want.

Also shown is a mockup of the randomisation panel, not sure if I'll keep the tolerance groups at this stage.

Old 17th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
The mod section will just be the current "easy" page, but with stepped knobs to adjust most of the values, and then you click on the little diode in the top right to open the full schematic editor, where you can click on the name of a component (eg D102) and a list pops up with all parameters for it to edit. This makes it less like editing a spreadsheet, and a bit quicker to locate the values you want.

Also shown is a mockup of the randomisation panel, not sure if I'll keep the tolerance groups at this stage.

This is absolutely INSANE! So glad I purchased it, I can't wait to have pretty much EVERY TS variant out there at my fingertips!
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Guru

I had completely forgotten about this plugin as my demo licensed expired when I tested the first beta version. After reading through the thread and seeing how much it had evolved since then, I bought it immediately! With the extra loyalty discount this is an amazing bargain! (And even without it it is!)

This thing is loads of fun!

Quote:
Looking good Andy!

Alistair
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

I just want the authentic sound of a good 808. The tweaker's workbench page is interesting but not the major selling point for most who'd be interested in buying this. I don't know many guitarists/engineers/producers/composers who experiment with their TS, and I'd be surprised if the majority would do so with a plugin. Again, it's cool that it's an option, but it would be a shame if building out that functionality is what's holding up the final release.
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

I am with Elambo here. I have no plans to tweak but I am eager to start using the plugin for real. I understand that a lot of the time spent on making it also goes into creating a framework to make future plugins faster to build. So be it. Perhaps it was just not wise to start the pre-sale so early, though.
Old 18th October 2019
Cytomic

Quote:
I just want the authentic sound of a good 808. The tweaker's workbench page is interesting but not the major selling point for most who'd be interested in buying this. I don't know many guitarists/engineers/producers/composers who experiment with their TS, and I'd be surprised if the majority would do so with a plugin. Again, it's cool that it's an option, but it would be a shame if building out that functionality is what's holding up the final release.
The current beta is already the best TS808 emulation on the market, and fully functional in terms of the HD mode - so go ahead and use it, there is no holdup for you!

I'm building all the tweak schematic stuff in a generic way, so apart from drawing the new schematic in a graphics program (and making sure the name the components with the same names as the circuit model) there isn't any more work to develop multiple plugins using this.
Old 18th October 2019
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
I am with Elambo here. I have no plans to tweak but I am eager to start using the plugin for real. I understand that a lot of the time spent on making it also goes into creating a framework to make future plugins faster to build. So be it. Perhaps it was just not wise to start the pre-sale so early, though.
The majority of the time has actually been spent on the low cpu mode, and I didn't want to delay the full quality version waiting for that. Right now you can use the HD mode and get the best TS808 tone apart from using an actual stomp box
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Ok. Thanks. Well the current beta eats a lot of cpu, so thanks for working on that. Btw.. is 1.08 still the latest beta?
Old 18th October 2019
Cytomic

Quote:
Ok. Thanks. Well the current beta eats a lot of cpu, so thanks for working on that. Btw.. is 1.08 still the latest beta?
Yep the latest one up is the latest. The low cpu mode was pretty much an open area of R&D to come up with a good solution, which I've completed. The detail of the full version is huge, waaay beyond anything that exists in plugin land. The low cpu mode will be slightly lower than most existing plugins, but still contain more detail, but not everything the HD model covers. For a majority of use the low cpu mode will be fine, and there is an option to switch to HD on render.

edit: currently on my old 3GHz i7 processing an average signal it takes around 6.8% cpu for HD and 2.2% for non-HD, so that's around x3 speedup.

Last edited by andy-cytomic; 18th October 2019 at 10:57 AM..
Old 18th October 2019
Here for the gear

I'm going to go against what some have said here and say I LOVE the tweaking options on it, really takes it to a whole new level and really increases the flexibility and sound design potential! I'm not a guitarist and this makes it so much more suitable for using on other sounds (pedals can be fantastic for bass etc but the built in high pass filters can make it a pain to use without extra routing)
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok87 View Post
I'm going to go against what some have said here and say I LOVE the tweaking options on it, really takes it to a whole new level and really increases the flexibility and sound design potential! I'm not a guitarist and this makes it so much more suitable for using on other sounds (pedals can be fantastic for bass and etc but the built in high pass filters can make it a pain to use without extra routing)
Fully agreed!

Alistair
Old 18th October 2019
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok87 View Post
I'm going to go against what some have said here and say I LOVE the tweaking options on it, really takes it to a whole new level and really increases the flexibility and sound design potential! I'm not a guitarist and this makes it so much more suitable for using on other sounds (pedals can be fantastic for bass and etc but the built in high pass filters can make it a pain to use without extra routing)
Thanks! And another point is that those who like to have varied presets to flick through will have just that since the entire tone of the circuit can change drastically with each preset
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks! And another point is that those who like to have varied presets to flick through will have just that since the entire tone of the circuit can change drastically with each preset
Andy, am I right in that a basic use-case for us non-electric engineering users will be "find a sound that works, and maybe randomize the component tolerances 5% or so until something pleasing happens (e.g. some nice stereo width)?" That's kind of how I imagine it would go and benefit me even if I have no idea how to read a circuit diagram.
Old 18th October 2019
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Andy, am I right in that a basic use-case for us non-electric engineering users will be "find a sound that works, and maybe randomize the component tolerances 5% or so until something pleasing happens (e.g. some nice stereo width)?" That's kind of how I imagine it would go and benefit me even if I have no idea how to read a circuit diagram.
Yep, that's spot on. Just click next through a bunch of presets till you're ballpark, then if you want some subtle variation / stereo stuff you click on the RAND button, click randomise / mutate a few times which something is playing through it and see what you like best, dial in the depth of randomisation you like both mono and stereo and that's about it. There is also the MOD page where you can do some easy adjustments, like Drive HP and Post Drive LP, which are the two big ones to sculpt the sound.

edit: you never really need to open the full schematic view, it's only to really for advanced fiddles / circuit mod people to really get in there, and also to be transparent about what exactly is being modelled by the plugin to give people confidence this is the real deal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow that looks amazing .
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That beta was released in July of 2017 -- no update has been made available in over two years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
That beta was released in July of 2017 -- no update has been made available in over two years.
How time flies. I thought it was but one year ago.
Old 15 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yep, that's spot on. Just click next through a bunch of presets till you're ballpark, then if you want some subtle variation / stereo stuff you click on the RAND button, click randomise / mutate a few times which something is playing through it and see what you like best, dial in the depth of randomisation you like both mono and stereo and that's about it. There is also the MOD page where you can do some easy adjustments, like Drive HP and Post Drive LP, which are the two big ones to sculpt the sound.

edit: you never really need to open the full schematic view, it's only to really for advanced fiddles / circuit mod people to really get in there, and also to be transparent about what exactly is being modelled by the plugin to give people confidence this is the real deal.
Excuse me Andy but would you say your other plugs "The Drop" and "The Glue" are on this extreme level of accuracy/authenticity and detail of modelling etc. as this plugin is?

Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search