The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Introduces The VRS8 'Virtual Analog' Interface & ML-2 Modeling Microphones Audio Interfaces
Old 19th January 2017
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Slate Introduces The VRS8 'Virtual Analog' Interface & ML-2 Modeling Microphones

For twenty years, I have dreamed of bringing the professional studio to anyone who wants to make music. I’m talking about microphone lockers filled with every classic mic imaginable. Tape machines and vintage consoles to add flavor and vibe. And of course, all kinds of outboard processors and effects.

However, for as long as I can remember, all of those famous tools have been reserved for the industry elite and people who have lots of money.

Well. That’s finally going to change.

Introducing the Slate 'Virtual Recording Studio' featuring the new VRS-8 Interface and new ML-2 Modeling Microphone System. Watch my live keynote address to learn all about it, and see it live at NAMM Booth 6806.

The Video will reveal all the details, including specs, pricing, and some amazing sound examples.

We'll be at NAMM booth 6806 with a LIVE band on stage with the VRS8 & VMS (including both ML-1 and ML-2 mics). We'll also be recreating the A/B shootout that is seen in the video against a vintage microphone LIVE.

Estimated Shipping: Q2 2017

Steven Slate

https://youtu.be/JcCjfEjNZdY
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Addict

Oh man
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Was hoping the big announcement was SSD5....
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
the new VRS-8 Interface
Audio Interface?
Old 19th January 2017
Another innovative product release for Slage digital and customers! Looking forward to learning more about this product as watching the keynote.. Going to watch the YT vid in the original post when I get a longer break, I see it's 35 min I wonder how the analog modeling and tape emu are integrated into the new interface....
Old 19th January 2017

Hi guys, before you ask any questions, I would recommend watching the Keynote video.. it's all there including the most important thing... audio examples!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 19th January 2017
Now that PCs are coming with Thunderbolt and Win10 supports it, can we use the VRS8 with that platform, or is it Mac-only? I'm thinking of high-end laptops that have Thunderbolt 3 but couldn't support a PCIe card.
Old 19th January 2017
Congratulations. Nice work; cool recording system
Old 19th January 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
Another innovative product release for Slage digital and customers! Looking forward to learning more about this product as watching the keynote.. Going to watch the YT vid in the original post when I get a longer break, I see it's 35 min I wonder how the analog modeling and tape emu are integrated into the new interface....
Thank you Chase!!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Addict

No thunderbolt for win? Or will that come down the road?
Old 19th January 2017
M2E
Lives for gear

I have to say, "About time someone did it!"
This is very smart from them.
Go the opposite way of Pro Tools and UAD.
It's true that PCIe cards have limited time and for him to do this just outdated them 100 fold.

Bold move but that's Steven I guess.

Very nice and good luck with it.

Marc
Old 19th January 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Now that PCs are coming with Thunderbolt and Win10 supports it, can we use the VRS8 with that platform, or is it Mac-only? I'm thinking of high-end laptops that have Thunderbolt 3 but couldn't support a PCIe card.
Hi! Our engineers say it will certainly be possible if the PC hardware supports it in the future.. but I can't promise anything for PC right now other than the solution that is stated in the video.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

That price point is going to cut UA off at the knees
Old 19th January 2017
M2E
Lives for gear

Oh, by the way, is the PCIe for Mac users too?

That would be smart for those that are stuck on older systems/cpu.

Marc
Old 19th January 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I have to say, "About time someone did it!"
This is very smart from them.
Go the opposite way of Pro Tools and UAD.
It's true that PCIe cards have limited time and for him to do this just outdated them 100 fold.

Bold move but that's Steven I guess.

Very nice and good luck with it.

Marc
Right now, two of the biggest audio dealers are selling custom made PC towers by the truckload, so to support PC guys now and not later, I think it's a very smart choice to include something that actually works for low latency and low CPU multichannel audio... which I can't say for USB.

But if PC's finally support Thunderbolt, even better. It's just a matter of a Windows Thunderbolt driver, and our driver team is incredible.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Windows supports thunderbolt now, there's already a few interfaces out that supports windows thunderbolt. But the PCIe card is very thoughtful!

Those are very nice prices. Especially the mic! Makes me wish I would have waited on buying the VMS One because this is what I wanted to begin with. (Just bought the thing! lol)

Can the interface send out 8 outputs without going through the converters if we wanted to just use it as an 8 channel preamp?

When can we start buying the mics separate?

Looks nice Steven
Old 19th January 2017
Quote:
Right now, two of the biggest audio dealers are selling custom made PC towers by the truckload, so to support PC guys now and not later, I think it's a very smart choice to include something that actually works for low latency and low CPU multichannel audio... which I can't say for USB.

But if PC's finally support Thunderbolt, even better. It's just a matter of a Windows Thunderbolt driver, and our driver team is incredible.

Cheers,
Steven
Agreed, and don't misunderstand me, the PCIe card is brilliant.

I'll get in touch when I have a Win10 device with Thunderbolt3 and have successfully connected it to a thunderbolt peripheral. I'd be happy to help you do alpha and beta testing.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

Incredible!
Old 19th January 2017
Very cool. Slate def just lit a fire under Avid and UA's ass.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Talk about shots fired at UA, wow... $3k for the interface and 6 mics is pretty crazy!
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear
This isn't a product launch. It's a coup d'etat.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

This is definitely going to kill UAD sales I believe, even the smaller Antelope interfaces as well. I was thinking of pulling the trigger on an Antelope Zen Tour for my house at around $1500 (I use the Orion 32 at my studio) but just $500 more and I can have 8 channels of VMS preamps.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear
$150 for the pencil is unreal. Ill definitely be grabbing one of those for my VMS-1.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Have the VMS
Have the VMR

Start saving my pennies for a Mac and a VRS. That way I can VRS with my VMS and VMR.

I'm going to go broke if you keep this up Steven. Not that I mind
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear
And if my UFX dies I will definitely contemplate the slate option. Very very impressive. I love how simple it is.
Old 19th January 2017
What about folks who already own a VMS?

Does the little VMS interface and pre link to this new one?
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
What about folks who already own a VMS?

Does the little VMS interface and pre link to this new one?
You would need a converter. I didn't look at the back of this so I don't know if it has digital in and out for other converters. If so you would need a converter after the pre to use it. If the slate doesn't have that option then yes it is useless and sell your pre.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys, before you ask any questions, I would recommend watching the Keynote video.. it's all there including the most important thing... audio examples!

Cheers,
Steven
How many pairs of monitors can I connect to the new VRS-8?
Old 19th January 2017
Pumped for that interface and the SDC! Awesome job! Definitely something to consider when I upgrade my interface later this year.
Old 19th January 2017
So it wasn't totally clear. I assume there's still no reliable way to print on the way in with this a la UAD console? If there was software that ran the VST versions of the plugs that could link into PT so I can just print easily on the way in, that would open this up to a whole new market. All the people saying this cuts UA at the knees, well not quite. But it's close
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search