The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Digital Announces FG-STRESS: Official Distressor Emulation
Old 1 week ago
  #1171
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
Oh sure, I've mailed meat many times. But posting meat on the interwebz to download for A/B comparison. No way it can be done.
Well I for one won't believe it until I have full high-resolution meat samples here to test for myself with my own meat testing system, and nothing will convince me otherwise.
Old 1 week ago
  #1172
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Let them sell it for 500$ and 10$ a month the whole thing and I'd still go for the perpetual .... Steven ... "WE" the perpetual license owners deserve you have a look at us for some sales .... you always keep on marketing this subscription thing ... trust me the subscription even if it's profitable for you guys in the short to medium term but very bad in the long term ...
Ugh... Trust me, off topic
Old 1 week ago
  #1173
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
Oh sure, I've mailed meat many times. But posting meat on the interwebz to download for A/B comparison. No way it can be done.
Fabrice is working on it!
Old 1 week ago
  #1174
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdavy View Post
This is what Steven wrote:

"You will be able to get this wonderful processor along with thousands of dollars worth of other great pro audio plugins in the Slate Digital Everything Bundle starting at only $14.99, or buy it in the Slate Digital Webshop (it will intro at $149, then regular price $199). So don’t stress about plugin compression, and happy mixing!"


Hope they'll still offer intro price when it's released ...
Cool. What page is this qoute from?
Old 1 week ago
  #1175
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
We're all adults here.
Age wise, perhaps. Mentally? Ummmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I wasn't a fan of Bomber[...]
I'm with you there. It's the only SD plugin I've never used after trying it out. I just don't see what it can do that I can't achieve with other plugins. The tube preamps, I like. Saturated, they give me that 'Black Hole Sun' overdrive backing vocal sound : clarity with a halo of crunch around it.
Old 1 week ago
  #1176
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdavy View Post
This is what Steven wrote:

"You will be able to get this wonderful processor along with thousands of dollars worth of other great pro audio plugins in the Slate Digital Everything Bundle starting at only $14.99, or buy it in the Slate Digital Webshop (it will intro at $149, then regular price $199). So don’t stress about plugin compression, and happy mixing!"


Hope they'll still offer intro price when it's released ...
An intro price! Excellent.
Old 1 week ago
  #1177
Here for the gear
 
jessdavy's Avatar
Old 1 week ago
  #1178
149$ Intro Price is a great CATCH ! if it is what it is ... WAITING
Old 1 week ago
  #1179
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Hi guys, the pricing will be $249, with an intro price of $199. And no charge for current Everything Bundle members.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 1 week ago
  #1180
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi guys, the pricing will be $249, with an intro price of $199. And no charge for current Everything Bundle members.

Cheers,
Steven
Better change that first page post then.

Seeing as this is like having multiple compressors in one plug-in $200 seems fair. Plus, Mr. Derr needs his royalty license fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
If the last preamp suite costs 180$, this should be around 200-250$ or more, that way they´ll make sure that nobody buys a perpetual license and opt instead for the sub model.
You ended up being spot on with your assessment.

Last edited by doom64; 1 week ago at 02:00 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #1181
Lives for gear
 
JulenJVM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
You ended up being spot on with your assessment.
It was an easy guess, the strategy is clearly laid out. Slate prefers a constant flow of money, and very bloated prices to give more apparent value to the sub. We'll see if the plugin really costs 250$ or if it should be sold at half that price, so seeing how I dislike the sub model, this could be the last nail on the coffin for Slate plugins on my system.
Old 1 week ago
  #1182
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
It was an easy guess, the strategy is clearly laid out. Slate prefers a constant flow of money, and very bloated prices to give more apparent value to the sub. We'll see if the plugin really costs 250$ or if it should be sold at half that price, so seeing how I dislike the sub model, this could be the last nail on the coffin for Slate plugins on my system.
At $350 - do u consider the Arouser plugin to have a 'very bloated price'? Also Sonnox plugins which are often north of $200? Sonnox being on iLok too. And Arouser/Sonnox offer no sub option. With decent outboard effects being multiple times more expensive (with less features, generally) do you think Outboard is generally bloated and too expensive too?
Old 1 week ago
  #1183
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Can't wait to put my arousor head to head with fgstress to test this price point. I assume Slate already has, and has determined he is in the ballpark. More great tools is always nice.
Old 1 week ago
  #1184
Gear Maniac
 

Remember, since it is licensed, Slate needs to share some cut of the revenue with Empirical Labs. When comparing that price tag with similarly licensed plugins on the market, it seems like pretty reasonable price point to me.

That said, I completely agree that the current business model seems to be all about channeling business through subscription plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
It was an easy guess, the strategy is clearly laid out. Slate prefers a constant flow of money, and very bloated prices to give more apparent value to the sub. We'll see if the plugin really costs 250$ or if it should be sold at half that price, so seeing how I dislike the sub model, this could be the last nail on the coffin for Slate plugins on my system.
Old 1 week ago
  #1185
Lives for gear
 
JulenJVM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW89 View Post
At $350 - do u consider the Arouser plugin to have a 'very bloated price'? Also Sonnox plugins which are often north of $200? Sonnox being on iLok too. And Arouser/Sonnox offer no sub option. With decent outboard effects being multiple times more expensive (with less features, generally) do you think Outboard is generally bloated and too expensive too?
I haven't tried Arouser nor FG-Stress so I can't judge yet, it's our ears that decide whether it's worth spending the money in a plugin or not. But the price, to me, look very above of what you get in the market, and I'm not sure the price is justified. Look at Acustica, for the price of an Arouser, you can get two of Gold, Cobalt or Ebony, for example. Many preamps, compressors, EQs, a wide palette of colors and a killer tone. That's what I call bang for the buck and realistic prices, at least for me it's the best choice.
With gear, it's the same, you have good bang for the buck, and expensive gear. Klark Teknik 1176 or UA 1176. Is the UA worth 4 times a KT? I don't know, your ears and your budget will tell. To me FG-Stress is expensive until my ears prove the contrary
Old 1 week ago
  #1186
Gear Head
 

Steven

If it is an official emulation, can you make at least sure that the skin looks like the original product this time around? It is weird, but the fact that UAD uses official logos etc. and nicely done UI remakes makes the plugins more valuable subjectively.

Since you're licensing the plugin anyhow from Dave, you might as well update the graphics to look like the real thing?

Thanks
Paul
Old 1 week ago
  #1187
Lives for gear
 
galaydees's Avatar
 

Would imagine at that price this is a full featured emulation. nuke/brit?
Old 1 week ago
  #1188
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by decurion99 View Post
Steven

If it is an official emulation, can you make at least sure that the skin looks like the original product this time around? It is weird, but the fact that UAD uses official logos etc. and nicely done UI remakes makes the plugins more valuable subjectively.

Since you're licensing the plugin anyhow from Dave, you might as well update the graphics to look like the real thing?

Thanks
Paul
I AM curious if the UI has changed at all. It's been some time since that teaser video in the beginning of this thread. Plenty for a new look .
Old 1 week ago
  #1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi guys, the pricing will be $249, with an intro price of $199. And no charge for current Everything Bundle members.

Cheers,
Steven
Damn, the price jump pushes it up quite a bit. I understand that it's taken longer than expected, but still, that's $271 NZD for the intro price. Ouch! I guess the point here is to nudge people towards the subscription model?

Still, if it is as good as you say, then I suppose it'll be worth it.
Old 1 week ago
  #1190
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
There is no motive to the price increase other than to recoup the extra year of R&D that the plugin required. That wasn't cheap!

Cheers,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Slate; 1 week ago at 03:56 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #1191
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
There is no motive to the price increase other than to recoup the extra year of R&D that the plugin requires. That wasn't cheap!

Cheers,
Steven
Honestly Steven if you charge $300 or even 400 for this plugin and it sounded just like a real distressor then I would still buy it. The real single channel hardware costs $1100 on the used market so there would already be a discount

Here's a question that may have probably not been asked yet… Are there any stereo function controls?
Old 1 week ago
  #1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Honestly Steven if you charge $300 or even 400 for this plugin and it sounded just like a real distressor then I would still buy it. The real single channel hardware costs $1100 on the used market so there would already be a discount

Here's a question that may have probably not been asked yet… Are there any stereo function controls?
You would really spend $400 USD on a compressor plugin?
Old 1 week ago
  #1193
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzrabble View Post
You would really spend $400 USD on a compressor plugin?
I spent that on a reverb plugin (Lexicon LXP Native) so yes. If it was good enough and made my mixing jobs easier.
Old 1 week ago
  #1194
Now this is to STEVE !! Can you please release it as a single Plugin and not part of the RACK ?? or at least a rack and an individual version ?!?
Old 1 week ago
  #1195
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzrabble View Post
You would really spend $400 USD on a compressor plugin?
The manner in which you ask that makes it a loaded question. By asking that way, you are assuming there's no way the plugin can sound like it's hardware counterpart. If it's the case that plugins can sound like their hardware counterpart the question should emphatically be how can you not pay $400 for a compressor plugin!
Old 6 days ago
  #1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
The manner in which you ask that makes it a loaded question. By asking that way, you are assuming there's no way the plugin can sound like it's hardware counterpart. If it's the case that plugins can sound like their hardware counterpart the question should emphatically be how can you not pay $400 for a compressor plugin!
I suppose I'm still looking at it from the fact that it's just software. A software plugin at that. I don't think I'd spend almost $600 NZD on any plugin. But if it's identical to the hardware then that makes the argument stronger to buy it, BUT it's still just 0's and 1's and instantly loses it's value (there's the argument for the subscription model I suppose).

Meh. Looking forward to hearing it! As I was a year ago haha.
Old 6 days ago
  #1197
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
I will pay $7000
Old 6 days ago
  #1198
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Now this is to STEVE !! Can you please release it as a single Plugin and not part of the RACK ?? or at least a rack and an individual version ?!?
Just a friendly thought/idea for Steven: you've said you will release standalone versions at some point and knowing that you have many new things you'd like to do (as well as the amount of work it would be) - why not just start co-developing all new plugs ins with VMR and stand alone versions? Sure I'd love to have the older plugins back (I no longer use VMR) but I'd really appreciate having access to anything new. Maybe offset the cost by only selling them and not including them in subscription (or whatever)? Thanks for considering.
Old 6 days ago
  #1199
Lives for gear
 
theothermarkwilliams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I will pay $7000
Hahahaha! I love your approach and attitude, bgood. You crack me up.
Old 6 days ago
  #1200
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothermarkwilliams View Post
Hahahaha! I love your approach and attitude, bgood. You crack me up.
Ok ok. $7600 but not a penny more

#fArtofTheDeal
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump