The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Announces Red 8Pre Interface
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFocusrite View Post
Hi @ RyanC

You're correct - there's currently no way to adjust the volume of signals being sent to the digital outputs on the Red 8Pre from the front panel (though you could do this from Focusrite Control by means of a Custom Mix). I've passed your request for this functionality on to the product team for consideration in future.

I hope you like your Red 8Pre once it arrives!

Best,
Jack // Focusrite Technical Support
Thanks Jack-

Any chance the volume in the custom mix can be controlled with a MIDI CC? I didn't find that anywhere in the user guide, but it's a little hard to tell if the the manual that I found is current as it only mentions the Clarette and not the Red 4/8 pre.

If not, that would be another very useful feature- I could control the spdif out with a shuttle express, and it seems it could be handy for those that might want hardware control of headphone mixes.
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Hi @ RyanC

At present no, it's not possible to control the mixer using MIDI. Once again, thanks for all of your feedback, I've passed all of this over to the Product team for consideration in future.

Best,
Jack
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi @ RyanC

At present no, it's not possible to control the mixer using MIDI. Once again, thanks for all of your feedback, I've passed all of this over to the Product team for consideration in future.

Best,
Jack
Thanks again for the quick response.

I did have a minute to play with the unit- One suggestion would be to change the manual to make it clear that Thunderbolt is absolutely required to use focusrite control. From watching some videos, I saw the FC app being used on iOS and assumed it could be used over the network.

On my end, I'm running dual boot hacks and could upgrade to TB mobos, but it looks like that aspect may still be a stumbling block. My plan was to have 3 of these in 3 rooms all connected to the same network, this way I could use the B room as an ISO for a large session (and so on, 3 small studios or one big one).

It seems the main problem with that is that there may be no way for multiple instances of focusrite control to distinguish themselves when they are running on the same network. IE even if I have 3 TB computers all connected to Red 8Pre's and all on the same network, how will the FC iOS app allow me to select the computer (and it's Red 8Pre) that I need. Also it's a bummer that the computer would need to be turned on only to pass the FC app data.

If focusrite control could be implemented under Rednet, so that I could easily access the 'focusrite control' app of each Red 8Pre over the Dante network I think you would have a real winner here.

Can you give us any word at all on rather any sort of Rednet Control support is in the works? IMO this would solve a lot of problems- the person I bought my Red 8Pre from was selling it because he couldn't use it with his Cheesegrater Mac Pro/HDX rig so it seems this would be a way to address this issue for many users.

Thanks-
Old 3rd May 2017
Gear Maniac

Hi @ RyanC

Thanks for the feedback. To confirm - the Red 4/8Pre does need to be connected to a computer over Thunderbolt in order to have access to Focusrite Control, as you have stated.

It's no problem having multiple Red devices connected to multiple computers on the same network - they will all appear separately in the Focusrite Control iOS app.

With regards to RedNet Control, this is something that we know has been requested for the Red range and it's certainly on our radar, though I can't really give any further information than that at this stage.

Best,
Jack
Old 4th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi @ RyanC

Thanks for the feedback. To confirm - the Red 4/8Pre does need to be connected to a computer over Thunderbolt in order to have access to Focusrite Control, as you have stated.

It's no problem having multiple Red devices connected to multiple computers on the same network - they will all appear separately in the Focusrite Control iOS app.

With regards to RedNet Control, this is something that we know has been requested for the Red range and it's certainly on our radar, though I can't really give any further information than that at this stage.

Best,
Jack
Great thanks-

I don't think I had the newest control app downloaded when I tried to connect through the mini the first time. Now I got it setup with the newest one, it updated the firmware and I can use focusrite control in PT mode. Awesome!

Also I can see how the iOS app handshakes with the Red pre...very cool.

Ready to put it through it's paces...
Old 4th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Please do pass this along. We'd love to be able to use these interchangeably in more of a stagebox role in addition to the interface.

Either that, or release a limited-feature version of 8PRE as a Dante stagebox. 8 mic/line inputs with remote control pres, 8 line inputs, 16 line outputs. Just that, from Focusrite, would be very sweet.

JSL
While I think rednet integration would be ideal, if you wanted to use it as a stagebox an easy work around is to dedicate a mac mini setup with screen sharing as a sort of Network to TB adaptor.

A 2011 mini can be had pretty cheap, and has a TB port. Install the focusrite control driver, enable screen sharing, and now you can access the mini over the network and launch the control app from there. Not only the router, but you get full access to the mixer with iOS control...

I do think it would be best to have the actual support built into rednet control, but this is a viable work around for me at least.
Old 19th September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Jazz View Post
So for me, a hydrid of REDNET with the 4PRE has been a great setup with excellent flexibility.
Smokey Jazz, maybe you can offer me some advice on my setup then! I've been thinking of a hybrid setup as well, and am running into a few complications. I have a Red4Pre that I prefer to keep in my mix room, and I control it primarily with the Focusrite Control iPad app (which has a great UI imo). I'm looking to add a RedNet 4 and a few of the new X2P's, to be networked in from the live room and vocal booth.

The biggest caveat is RedNet devices seem to only be controllable by RedNet Control. My issue here is that I don't want to have to use two different apps to control preamps across my entire rig. It would be great if the pre's on the Red4Pre and the pre's on the RedNet devices could all be controlled in the same space.

What's your workaround for something like this?? If anyone has ideas, they would be much appreciated!
Old 27th September 2017
Here for the gear

Using rednet control 2 and red pre4 control

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosari3 View Post
Smokey Jazz, maybe you can offer me some advice on my setup then! I've been thinking of a hybrid setup as well, and am running into a few complications. I have a Red4Pre that I prefer to keep in my mix room, and I control it primarily with the Focusrite Control iPad app (which has a great UI imo). I'm looking to add a RedNet 4 and a few of the new X2P's, to be networked in from the live room and vocal booth.

The biggest caveat is RedNet devices seem to only be controllable by RedNet Control. My issue here is that I don't want to have to use two different apps to control preamps across my entire rig. It would be great if the pre's on the Red4Pre and the pre's on the RedNet devices could all be controlled in the same space.

What's your workaround for something like this?? If anyone has ideas, they would be much appreciated!

First sounds like a nice setup for sure. I have and continue to have this dilemma.

Unfortunately at this time no work around.
It actually forces me to use a Mac laptop to use thunderbolt w red4pre just to use control for red4pre, when I am actually recording to a mid 2010 12 core Mac Pro which does not have thunderbolt, but I run all Dante into pcie card.

Anyways, while the red pre4 Control software is good as u mentioned, I actually prefer the Rednet Control2 and if they were to integrate I would prefer it to be unto the rednet control 2 software and not the 4pre control.

So yeah little bit of a pain to have two computers and I have to move to laptop when I want to change red4pre settings. I want to do it all thru rednet control and Dante controller.

That all being said, it has been functioning seamlessly since purchase and integration of the 4pre into my existing rednet system. Despite the hassle of two computers, I do use the laptop for remote work as main computer so having it all hooked up together is sometimes convenient to set up for a gig and also I like going thunderbolt to laptop and plugging in the rednet 4 into the red 4pre. That has proven to be a sleek setup.
Sorry not super helpful in terms of workaround tho.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Is this compatible with thunderbolt 2 as well? Just trying to see if it will work with the 2013 MP or my 2014 MBP.
Old 29th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
Is this compatible with thunderbolt 2 as well? Just trying to see if it will work with the 2013 MP or my 2014 MBP.
It IS a Thunderbolt2 connection.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
It IS a Thunderbolt2 connection.
Totally my bad...I thought I was in the thread for the new Red 16line that has a thunderbolt 3 connection.
Old 9th December 2017
Here for the gear
I spoke with a rep at the AES booth this year (2017) he said that they were working on getting the red4 and red8 pres working with the rednet control app. Seems to be a move related to the "Focusrite Pro" marketing. I didn't get much more information than that. Can anyone else confirm this? If its confirmed, anyone have an ETA?
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegrobinson14 View Post
I spoke with a rep at the AES booth this year (2017) he said that they were working on getting the red4 and red8 pres working with the rednet control app. Seems to be a move related to the "Focusrite Pro" marketing. I didn't get much more information than that. Can anyone else confirm this? If its confirmed, anyone have an ETA?
I sure hope that is the case.
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegrobinson14 View Post
I've been asking the product guys about this and no ETA yet.

I'm hoping it is soon because I have a Red 8 + A16R and it would be better to be able to control everything from within one application.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search