The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Townsend Labs Sphere - real 3D mic modelling - UAD, VST, AU, AAX Native Condenser Microphones
Old 21st March 2017
Here for the gear

Any first thoughts from the folks that have received their new mic?
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

I've moved on from my symphony to an apollo twin mkii with an octo satelite. I'm closely following the Townshend now that I have this as my front end and it may be my next pick up.
Old 21st March 2017
Here for the gear

Cool. I think I like the 251 the best. What are you using for pre amps? Thanks!
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

very exciting that people are finally getting their units.

Please someone export a short demo of a vocal take processed with all mic emulations.

Would love to hear it tracked without Apollo through something Neve style too!
Old 21st March 2017
There's no need. If someone uploads the raw stereo file you can try it all in your own studio to hear what kind of transformation can be done (even far beyond the standard modeling). The plugin is free to download and use. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
very exciting that people are finally getting their units.

Please someone export a short demo of a vocal take processed with all mic emulations.

Would love to hear it tracked without Apollo through something Neve style too!
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Great - sooner someone does that for a decent vocal the better

And again, recordings with a variety of non Apollo hardware preamps would be interesting so people can get perspective on how it might work in their studio.

Also, say you track with something ultra clean like the preamps in a Halo Metric ULN2? How would you add colour after the Sphere plug if you have nothing by UA - am curious what results people are getting, and from what? Sorry for million questions, just curious about everything now people actually have units in their hands.

Are Townsend going to add any preamp emulations?
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak View Post
Thrilled with my pair.

Here's a link to clip of my out of tune concert grand recorded with the Spheres. Have a nosey around my soundcloud, there are quite a few examples.

https://soundcloud.com/stefan-nowak/...ok-49-cardioid
I would have purchased two if I had the money, saving up for a second one now. The Piano demos are fantastic! The rest of your sound cloud stuff is awesome too. I just letting it play while I work.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thrilled with my pair.

Here's a link to clip of my out of tune concert grand recorded with the Spheres. Have a nosey around my soundcloud, there are quite a few examples.

Sounds promising.
Old 22nd March 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Thrilled with my pair.

Hi Nowak - what mic pre's and or processing? Where were they located? Thx
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

On the first lot (with the pictures of the microphones horizontal over the strings) that was with a GML 8304.

The second lot, with the microphones angled vertically inside the crook, was with a Wunder PAFour.

Stef.
Old 22nd March 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
On the first lot (with the pictures of the microphones horizontal over the strings) that was with a GML 8304.

The second lot, with the microphones angled vertically inside the crook, was with a Wunder PAFour.

Stef.
Thx - My bad - did not notice the image.
Old 28th March 2017
JGM
Lives for gear

For you few that have the mic, care to share a few words regarding your 1st thoughts and impressions of using this mic? And how it sounds compared the the Mics it's emulating?
We are all very anxious to hear your remarks. Please don't make us wait in this suspense!
Old 28th March 2017
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant View Post
Yes I must say the silence is unexpected.
And worrysome for those of us waiting on ours!
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Spooky indeed
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Maniac

In these cases, I think no news is good news. If it was rubbish, I'm sure folks would be airing their frustrations in the thread...

Still, I am interested to read some early feedback!
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Vocal samples please!!!!!!!! .
Old 29th March 2017
I think you're not hearing much because:

1) this thread is hidden in the coming soon sub forum
2) not all early adopters have received theirs yet
3) those that have them are too busy loving them
Old 29th March 2017
This may be a silly question but does this work if you don't own any UAD hardware?
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon77 View Post
This may be a silly question but does this work if you don't own any UAD hardware?
I believe so:
"Townsend Labs Sphere - real 3D mic modelling - UAD, VST, AU, AAX Native "

What you don't get, if you don't have the Apollo hardware, is the essentially zero latency real time tracking through the emulations. You can apply the emulations and polar response modifications after tracking. (if I understand correctly)

Last edited by DigitalGrease; 29th March 2017 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 29th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGrease View Post
I believe so:

What you don't get, if you don't have the Apollo hardware, is the essentially zero latency real time tracking through the emulations. You can apply the emulations and polar response modifications after tracking. (if I understand correctly)
makes sense. thanks
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGrease View Post
I believe so:

You could still monitor the DAW with plugin applied if you don't have UAD equipment, but you may have latency... but is it true that if you have a Thunderbolt (non-UAD) interface the latency is low enough that it is inaudible even when monitoring plugins?
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
You could still monitor the DAW with plugin applied if you don't have UAD equipment, but you may have latency... but is it true that if you have a Thunderbolt (non-UAD) interface the latency is low enough that it is inaudible even when monitoring plugins?
Too many variables to predict with confidence.

If you have a fast enough CPU.
If hyper threading is turned off.
If the cores have enough capacity remaining after system overhead, tracks etc.
Old 29th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
Some interfaces at higher sampling rates and very low buffer can provide reasonably low latency. Ideally, you want to be under 2ms round trip, which only a handful of interfaces can achieve, and only at 96kHz and a buffer of 32 or, maybe 64. You can PM me and I'll point you toward some data.
Old 1st April 2017
Here for the gear

Anyone own the slate and the L22?

I really like to hear your thoughts.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dorr View Post
Anyone own the slate and the L22?

I really like to hear your thoughts.
I owned (currently selling) Slate VMS - and I hope that in a few weeks I'll have a demo unit of the Sphere to check out. will post observations once I have them
Old 2nd April 2017
ldv
Here for the gear
I remember the Slate VMS reception was much warmer. Early owners either professed impressive thoughts or posted samples. Not saying early Sphere owners are not excited. Vox samples please?
Old 3rd April 2017
Here for the gear
I've got the Slate VMS and the Townsend - both are amazing. I'm loving the Townsend - amazing to be able to run the emulations with my Apollo at no discernible latency, and the stereo options are amazing. Just recorded a song and used it on vocals, acoustic guitar, and drum overheads and am blown away at the jump my mix took. I like the look and feel of the Townsend more too. I used to own a 47 and it reminds me of singing into that mic.
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinematree View Post
I've got the Slate VMS and the Townsend - both are amazing. I'm loving the Townsend - amazing to be able to run the emulations with my Apollo at no discernible latency, and the stereo options are amazing. Just recorded a song and used it on vocals, acoustic guitar, and drum overheads and am blown away at the jump my mix took. I like the look and feel of the Townsend more too. I used to own a 47 and it reminds me of singing into that mic.
do the whole world a favour and post some shootouts on vocals please. even short simple ones.

I'm personally curious if Sphere is more detailed in the highs, more open and natural. On vocals.
Old 3rd April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I'm personally curious if Sphere is more detailed in the highs, more open and natural. On vocals.
You nailed exactly what I feel is missing from the VMS, even my cheaper mics feel more open.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search