The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Jeff Steigers CAPI automation system
Old 27th June 2018
  #91
Gear Head
 

How is this product getting along? I think it will be very interesting to see how this would integrate with Flock Audio's Patch unit.
Old 25th July 2018
  #92
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
Any updates?
Old 6th October 2018
  #93
Lives for gear
 
jsteiger's Avatar
DAWtomation is exhibiting at AES later this month in New York. Come on by booth 250 to check out the system!

If you need a free pass, you can get yourself one here
AES New York 2018 >> Registration
Old 14th October 2018
  #94
Lives for gear
 
jsteiger's Avatar
If you want to keep up with all things DAWtomation, you can like the Facebook page here
DAWtomation - Home | Facebook
Old 24th November 2018
  #95
Here for the gear
 

The products have launched! DAWtomation Systems LLC
– dawtomationsystems
Old 1st March 2019
  #96
Gear Maniac
 
hendo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteiger View Post
If you want to keep up with all things DAWtomation, you can like the Facebook page here
DAWtomation - Home | Facebook
Been looking very forward to the Solo 8, ever since first learning about it - THREE YEARS AGO. Not sure how I missed the release, but just now checked-out the DAWtomationsystems website (here). Gotta say I wish I hadn't looked.

Disappointingly, the 8 channel Solo 8 is $1,400 - without a power supply. The power supply, which will power three units, is another $95. However, if you want to power more than one unit, you need the "BOB PSU Filter Box" @ $159.

So, to add 32 channels of VCA automation to my hybrid studio would cost me $6k. If the system had moving faders, I could see it. Adding insult to injury, the Solo 8 is only compatible with Pro Tools. Boo hoo for those of us who. long ago and with good reason, bailed out of everything Avid.

Heck, I was better off assuming the project had died on the vine. Oh, well...
Old 4th March 2019
  #97
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendo View Post
Been looking very forward to the Solo 8, ever since first learning about it - THREE YEARS AGO. Not sure how I missed the release, but just now checked-out the DAWtomationsystems website (here). Gotta say I wish I hadn't looked.

Disappointingly, the 8 channel Solo 8 is $1,400 - without a power supply. The power supply, which will power three units, is another $95. However, if you want to power more than one unit, you need the "BOB PSU Filter Box" @ $159.

So, to add 32 channels of VCA automation to my hybrid studio would cost me $6k. If the system had moving faders, I could see it. Adding insult to injury, the Solo 8 is only compatible with Pro Tools. Boo hoo for those of us who. long ago and with good reason, bailed out of everything Avid.

Heck, I was better off assuming the project had died on the vine. Oh, well...
I feel the same way. I was patiently waiting and I would of liked moving faders too for automation but I guess not. The good thing is with the Solo8 you could use a DAW controller like the Avid artist Mix, I know its not the same thing but it is the alternative.

The good thing is you can do 8 channels at a time and see how kick ass it is. But lead time is long for these, each unit will take up to 4 weeks to arrive. I think once they get their VST version finish I'll place an order asap for 1 Solo8 to test out and see if I want to commit to 24 channels. I feel like I wont be able to say no once I have that dawtomation setup.
Old 5th March 2019
  #98
Gear Maniac
 
hendo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
I feel the same way. I was patiently waiting and I would of liked moving faders too for automation but I guess not. The good thing is with the Solo8 you could use a DAW controller like the Avid artist Mix, I know its not the same thing but it is the alternative.

The good thing is you can do 8 channels at a time and see how kick ass it is. But lead time is long for these, each unit will take up to 4 weeks to arrive. I think once they get their VST version finish I'll place an order asap for 1 Solo8 to test out and see if I want to commit to 24 channels. I feel like I wont be able to say no once I have that dawtomation setup.
I don't need the automated faders. I already have five Euphonix MC Mix and one MC Control. Pre-Avid, thank you.

I was simply bemoaning the cost of the Solo 8. While I realize the hardware & software development costs must've been considerable, the hardware is pretty basic (simple analog signal path, digitally-controlled VCAs, TCP/IP stack).

Frankly, the technology isn't new. I still have a Soundcraft Spirit Auto 24x8x2, purchased in the early '90s, sitting in its box, in storage. The desk uses MIDI-controlled VCAs on the 24 channels. While the faders aren't automated, they send MIDI control data to the DAW, for recording fader moves. Using proprietary software (no longer available), the desk provided 256-step resolution.

Toss-in very usable EQ, ample sends & returns, automated channel mute, etc., its a pretty spectacular board - especially considering it was a mid-level, prosumer desk manufactured nearly 30 years ago! Heck, I've seriously pondered pulling it out of storage and incorporating it in my system.

So, 30 years later, I'm thinking $6k+ is a lot of dough for 32 channels of VCA automation.

One thing I'd really like to know is if Jeff and crew considered using PoE (power over Ethernet), to power the units. It'd sure be nice to dispose with external PSU's and power filter units!
Old 17th August 2019
  #99
Here for the gear
 
DawtomationSys's Avatar
 

Sorry we have been quiet over the past year after AES. We had some system tweaks and other things to do as well. The website can be reached either by www.Dawtomation.com or www.Dawtomationsystems.com.

The company is a separate entity to CAPI and is run by the Designers of DAWtomation.

As it was the best solution for Jeff to be able to focus on his great analog products and the team be able to focus on the automation.

The website over the next week will see some major changes including price restructuring and lead times coming down. As the SOLO8 lead time is down to about 7-10 days now.

We do have a VST plug in that is in it's BETA stages of testing at the moment and we will let you know when that will actually be released. It is for MAC only systems still as trying to keep Windows up and running is too much of a headache.

The Power Supplies will also come down in price also. There is no way for us to make a system function properly with PoE as it creates many issues with larger systems and also grounding issues. We would rather deliver a quality product.

And this resolution on this far exceeds 256 steps it operates at 11bit 2048. And its not as simple as it seems to make something like this work and not crash. (Remember this is controlling level and mute post D/A converter so you can use your outboard properly. And much care was taken to make sure that the taper is exactly the same as the DAW's.)

Yes you can use the AVID artist mix or similar fader controls with the system. And yes you can look at channels in banks of 8 at a time.

There is no way for us to build a budget moving fader system that we would put our name on and with the type of faders and switches and board layouts that are required to do so.

We will be unveiling a few things at AES this year stay tuned as the date gets closer. And we will inform you once the website is fully updated.

For Avid users we are going to give a discounted price until we run out of the BETA version of the SOLO8 Systems. Everything is the same as the production runs sans one thing.

The production runs have a hard relay bypass so you may leave the system patched in and bypassed without running it through the VCA's.

The Beta versions when you hit the master bypass just keeps the signal running through the system at unity or you may patch it in.

Please feel free to e-mail us at [email protected] for any other questions. There will be more to come over the coming weeks.

Here is a link for a video tutorial.
https://www.facebook.com/dawtomation...1268152683709/
Old 18th August 2019
  #100
Gear Maniac
 
hendo's Avatar
 

Thanks for the update. We'll keep an eye on the website.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #101
Here for the gear
 
DawtomationSys's Avatar
 

https://www.dawtomationsystems.com/
Visit the New Systems At AES
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump