The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New JD-XA top panel COMING!
Old 20th November 2015
New JD-XA top panel COMING!

Hey guys, As I posted on another thread, I will be producing a new panel overlay for the JD-XA. This will fix the readability issues along with fingerprints, glare, and scratching. These will be made like all SynthGraphics overlays with 10-mil lexan with the print on the backside, this is NOT a cheap sticker. If you have seen a Moog or DSI Prophet-08 panel this is exact same quality and materials. I have the first panel done so you can see it for reference below of how the entire design will look.

Message me to be put on the waiting list, should have these ready to start taking orders before Thankgiving.

Roland JD-XA Front Panel Overlays

Old 21st November 2015
Gear Guru

Great job, looks awesome but you have to wonder about Roland's choices in the first place eh...s'pose it gives you an income and motive to do it better..
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Great job, looks awesome but you have to wonder about Roland's choices in the first place eh...s'pose it gives you an income and motive to do it better..
Make it a harder sell on the second hand market with all those grubby prints all over em?
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthGraphics View Post

this is NOT a cheap sticker. If you have seen a Moog or DSI Prophet-08 panel this is exact same quality and materials.
I can attest to the quality of these SynthGraphics products. I have the KIWI-106 overlay and it's pure class in every way. Colors, sharpness and quality of material is top notch. Definitely looks and feels as if it will last a lifetime.
Old 21st November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
I can attest to the quality of these SynthGraphics products. I have the KIWI-106 overlay and it's pure class in every way. Colors, sharpness and quality of material is top notch. Definitely looks and feels as if it will last a lifetime.
I highly agree! I've seen picture's of other gear posted by Slutz mbr's and the work looks phenomenal!
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Nut

I'd definitely be interested but how hard is it to get it on straight and sans bubbles? Anyone in LA perform this "mod"?
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

What about the JD-Xi? Mine is full of fingerprints...
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairbro View Post

I'd definitely be interested but how hard is it to get it on straight and sans bubbles?
Jump to the 4:30 mark in this video:

Old 21st November 2015
Gear Addict

I have both the kiwisix and kiwi3p panels and they are top notch. This actually makes the JDXA more appealing to me.
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

I can absolutely attest to the quality of the overlays. I have both the Kiwi 106 overlay and the Kiwi 3P overlay. No issues whatsoever putting these overlays on. Just put them on slowly and carefully. They are very high quality products.
Old 21st November 2015
I can hardly wait to see the first finished JD-XA with this product.
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

You will see me saying this idea when the first look at the JD-xi came out. Nice too see someone doing it well.
Old 21st November 2015
Gear Guru

Cool video, there is absolutely zero chance I'll ever need to buy one and place it on a synth but that was fun to watch and learn how it's done..
Old 21st November 2015
F5D
Lives for gear

Hi! Just want to let you know that I am interested. Please post pics of the actual printed panel, when available! I am quite sure many are interested in this.

Last edited by F5D; 21st November 2015 at 08:47 PM..
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear

Interested too. Still saving up for the JD. But once i have it i want your overlay. I might even buy in advance if it only comes in batches. Wouldnt want to miss it.
Old 22nd November 2015
F5D
Lives for gear

I have a technical question of the overlay. What method are you going to use for places, where there are LEDs mounted behind the original front surface, such as the waveform indicator LEDs around the waveform select knob? I guess that the overlay will continue with a transparent spot over such LEDs (like in Alesis Andromeda) and holes are made only for areas, where an actual button or knob/slider is coming through, to avoid dust cumulation in such small spots? I am looking forward to see how the actual overlay looks with and without the LEDs on. I believe that the new overlay will help the visibility and also maybe give an illusion of less bright LEDs, if the actual surface of the synth will be better visible, i.e. less contrast. Now there are "hugely bright" LEDs with "completely dark" surface.

I just noticed, your page says "5-piece top panel". It is great to see that you will provide the layout also for the pitch stick / bender area! I think that is the first place where people will get scratches.

Edit. Just bought the TR-8 808 layout, looks really good! I believe I need to go shopping for TR-8 now... I do not even have one yet.

Last edited by F5D; 4th December 2015 at 03:28 PM..
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
Edit. Just bought the TR-8 808 layout, looks really good! I believe I need to go shopping for TR-8 now... I do not even have one yet.
Now thats a good slut.
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

Very good ! nice job on getting this out there . Those things are far too shiny to look at . this will help immensely
Old 22nd November 2015
Gear Maniac

Very interested in this!

It may actually be a dealbreaker, as I've been thinking about getting a JD-Xa lately.
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big thing View Post

Very interested in this!

It may actually be a dealbreaker, as I've been thinking about getting a JD-Xa lately.
deal-break·er
noun
(in business and politics) a factor or issue that, if unresolved during negotiations, would cause one party to withdraw from a deal.

Old 22nd November 2015
Gear Maniac

Second language:

1. (Linguistics) a language other than the mother tongue that a person or community uses for public communication, esp in trade, higher education, and administration.
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

To be fair to Big thing, the glossy surface would be a dealbreaker for me, if I were in the market for a JD-XA. The Sonic State review was funny since Nick smeared the hell out of it.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys, As I posted on another thread, I will be producing a new panel overlay for the JD-XA. This will fix the readability issues along with fingerprints, glare, and scratching. These will be made like all SynthGraphics overlays with 10-mil lexan with the print on the backside, this is NOT a cheap sticker. If you have seen a Moog or DSI Prophet-08 panel this is exact same quality and materials. I have the first panel done so you can see it for reference below of how the entire design will look.

Message me to be put on the waiting list, should have these ready to start taking orders before Thankgiving.

Roland JD-XA Front Panel Overlays

Slightly OT but will you be selling SP1200 overlays again anytime soon?
Old 24th November 2015
It's finished! Die cut fits perfectly with a little 'wiggly room' to spare. Image does not show the bender panel, but its also done. Should have pricing by next monday (due to turkey day) and hopefully actual product photos by next Tuesday/Wednesday.

http://www.synthgraphics.com/images/...D-XA_VER_1.png

Mylar die cut test
http://www.synthgraphics.com/images/JD-XA/JD-XA_DIE.JPG

Thanks for the support everyone!
Jamie
Old 24th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's finished!
Very nice!

Please also consider doing a version for the JD-Xi, as a JD-Xi owner I would buy a matching overlay instantly from you.
Old 24th November 2015
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's finished! Die cut fits perfectly with a little 'wiggly room' to spare. Image does not show the bender panel, but its also done. Should have pricing by next monday (due to turkey day) and hopefully actual product photos by next Tuesday/Wednesday.

http://www.synthgraphics.com/images/...D-XA_VER_1.png

Mylar die cut test
http://www.synthgraphics.com/images/JD-XA/JD-XA_DIE.JPG

Thanks for the support everyone!
Jamie
Excellent! I like your Jupiter-style use of the red bars above each section. Gives the synth a clear look. Also, many nice small changes that improve visibility of things. I especially like that you moved most of the knob labelings from behind the knob to the front. I use my synths in front of me while sitting, so it is often very difficult to see behind the knobs. Now, many of the parameters will be easier to see.

Looking forward to the pricing, hoping that it will be reasonable like for the other synths. The ability to stack the smaller panels in a small box should help keeping the international shipping costs down compared to some of the large 1-piece panels.
Old 26th November 2015
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a quick mockup in Photoshop.

Larger view
http://www.synthgraphics.com/images/...xa_MOCK-UP.png

Putting the parameter names UNDER the knobs/sliders was a smart touch.
Old 28th November 2015
Lives for gear

Looks much better !
Old 4th December 2015
New SynthGraphics JD-XA overlay is done! Will start taking orders soon when I get pricing finished. This fixes the glare, readability, scratch and fingerprint issues
Attached Thumbnails
New JD-XA top panel COMING!-install_004.jpg   New JD-XA top panel COMING!-install_010.jpg   New JD-XA top panel COMING!-install_011.jpg   New JD-XA top panel COMING!-kit_001.jpg   New JD-XA top panel COMING!-studio_001.jpg  

New JD-XA top panel COMING!-studio_002.jpg   New JD-XA top panel COMING!-studio_005.jpg   New JD-XA top panel COMING!-studio_006.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search