The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Radial 500 Series Twin Servo Preamp
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

Anybody see the the Radial at AES? Any release date / pricing info?
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
Yeah. Looked nice. They had one with the cover off so you can look inside and handle it.

I was talking with Peter Janis and I told him I thought the module looked nice and clean (meaning the graphic design). He told me, "Man, when I heard this, I couldn't believe it." I said, "Really?" He then looked right at me with a thousand yard stare and just said, "8 hertz...."

He said that he knows that some people don't like the crazy colors of his modules but he said it makes it easy when people ask him what they should buy, he says, "Buy the blue one!"

He then showed me the Space Heater rack and told me, "I heard your mixes, man, you need this" and then he walked away. Definitely an interesting cat!

It was cool talking to him for a bit, though.
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The one they had on display was the 1st and only one they've built so far. Peter said it was going to cost $999 like the John Hardy one.
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petermix View Post
The one they had on display was the 1st and only one they've built so far. Peter said it was going to cost $999 like the John Hardy one.
Thanks for the info - kind of surprised by the pricing I mean, no offense to Radial (have and love a BUNCH of their products), but for even close to equal money I'd go for the John Hardy for the name recognition, reputation, etc.
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the info - kind of surprised by the pricing I mean, no offense to Radial (have and love a BUNCH of their products), but for even close to equal money I'd go for the John Hardy for the name recognition, reputation, etc.
Agreed. Except the Hardy has been in the making for years now and it remains to be seen when it will finally ship...
Old 5th November 2015
Gear Maniac

I am putting the finishing touches on the front panel graphics, then production starts. Front panels are already made, they just need graphics.

Regarding the selection of transformers for the Radial version of the Jensen Twin Servo, here is my speculation regarding the input transformer that they are using (total speculation, don't bet the farm on it, YMMV, Peter Janis can certainly correct me):

I happened to be looking at the Hairball Audio site last weekend and noticed that they have a mic preamp kit that has a Jensen "JT-16-PCJR" mic-input transformer as an option. That was the first reference I have seen to the JT-16-PCJR. There is no sign of it on the Jensen site. "PC" likely means it has p.c. pins, not wires. That is the Jensen naming convention. Hairball documentation for the kit shows that there is a place on the circuit board for a pc-mount transformer. "JR" likely means it is a "junior" (smaller) version of the original JT-16-A and JT-16-B. The JT-16-B is what I use in all of my mic preamps, including the original Jensen Twin Servo.

Based on the component outline on the Hairball circuit board, the "JR" version appears to have the same square package as the Jensen JT-115K-EPC (p.c. mount version of the JT-115K-E), which would mean that it uses a smaller bobbin size and smaller lamination size than the JT-16-A and JT-16-B. As a result, the "JR" version would have a lower "maximum input level" compared to the full-size JT-16-A and JT-16-B. Without a data sheet it is hard to say how much lower the maximum input level is, but likely at least a few decibels.

Unless ionian can remember what the transformers looked like on the Radial prototype at AES, and/or Peter Janis jumps in to confirm, my theory will be that it is the JT-16-PCJR that Radial is using in their Jensen Twin Servo 500.

As mentioned earlier, I am using the JT-16-B and the JT-11-DM in my Jensen Twin Servo 500. No problem for me fitting them into the design with room for a shield assembly around the circuit board.

Thank you.

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
The John Hardy Co. Home

Last edited by John Hardy; 6th November 2015 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: Spelling corrections. Apologies to Peter!
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hardy View Post
Unless ionian can remember what the transformers looked like on the Radial prototype at AES, and/or Peter Janus jumps in to confirm, my theory will be that it is the JT-16-PCJR that Radial is using in their Jensen Twin Servo 500.
Sadly, no. All I remember is that they had the jensen logo but I didn't really look close enough to see more than that.
Old 6th November 2015
Lives for gear

Ah, Hardy and the Bonemeister cometh (so to speak).

For the same price, I'd have to go with John's (not having heard either, of course).

A little off-topic: we have two slots open in our M1 frame... can those take other than M1s (M2, Twins, options)?

Congratulations to both companies and thanks for what you do.
Old 6th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
A little off-topic: we have two slots open in our M1 frame... can those take other than M1s (M2, Twins, options)?
The M-2 cards will plug into an M-1 frame with no issues, but the gain markings are already on the front panel at all four channel locations for the M-1 gain ranges.

The Jensen Twin Servo cards will fit in the M-1 (or M-2) frame, but there are modifications required, as well as the gain control markings already being there for all four channels of the M-1 frame. The grounding scheme is different, requiring addition and/or removal of jumpers. There are series diodes for the +/-24.7V power supplies of the Twin Servo, resulting in +/-24VDC at the 990 op-amps, whereas the M-1/M-2 frame starts with +/-24VDC and has no series diodes. So, you would have to add or jumper across those diodes, depending on which direction you were going. So far, nobody has put any Twin Servo cards in an M-1 (or M-2) frame. I would have to put on the "cone of knowledge" to remember the details of the modifications. Beyond that, Deane Jensen did not want the cards mixed anyway.

Thank you.

John Hardy
The John Hardy Co.
The John Hardy Co. Home
Old 6th November 2015
Lives for gear

Thank you, John... so, a couple more M-1s it likely is in the future, then.

But, maybe a Hardy/Jensen Twin Servo 500 or two before that.

We have a bunch of different pres, and I can honestly say we use and like yours the most.
Old 6th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
We have a bunch of different pres, and I can honestly say we use and like yours the most.
I appreciate that. Thank you very much.

John Hardy
Old 9th February 2016
Lives for gear

Whatever happened to EITHER of these? to the 30 days til delivery window given in October?

What's going on?!
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whatever happened to EITHER of these? to the 30 days til delivery window given in October?

What's going on?!
Great question.
Old 2nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Just a bump.

Anything new on either of these? I just went to the Radial website and can find ZERO mention of this product now....it used to be in their blog. This looked like a killer product.

Anyone care to update?
Old 13th May 2016
Here for the gear

Hi All,

After a few delays, the Radial/Jensen Twin-Servo has just started shipping. You can check it out at Twin-Servo Microphone Preamplifier

Cheers,
Jay
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRnRPorter View Post
Hi All,

After a few delays, the Radial/Jensen Twin-Servo has just started shipping. You can check it out at Twin-Servo Microphone Preamplifier

Cheers,
Jay
Great news! Can I ask where they are for sale? A Google search only turned up a store in the Czech Republic and a guy on Reverb - none of the usuals (VK, Zen, Sweetwatee, etc.) have them.

Thanks
Old 17th May 2016
Here for the gear

We have just started shipping, so I expect the usual suspects will have them listed this week. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Jay
Old 24th June 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRnRPorter View Post
We have just started shipping, so I expect the usual suspects will have them listed this week. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Jay
Any updates? Still haven't seen this bad boy available anywhere.... delayed?
Old 10th August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanide View Post
Any updates? Still haven't seen this bad boy available anywhere.... delayed?
I'm still not seeing either the Hardy 500 or Radial 500 online for sale. What is the status on either?

Thanks all!!
Old 10th August 2017
Gear Nut

Hi Edge 8300
Vintage King and Musician's Friend both have the Radial - Jensen Twin Servo 500 series modules in stock.
You'll love the new Twin Servo... it is absolutely amazing!
Peter
Old 11th August 2017
Here for the gear

Peter,

Thank you, I just wasn't looking at the right vendors evidently. Thanks for the response.

Question: I have a few different preamps, Avedis Ma5, Chandler Germanium rack, Great River, (Did have Capi vP28's) BAE 1073, UA 4710...I record a lot of drums, guitars, bass, vocals, the normal stuff. Where do you see this pre fitting in to this lineup? More of a cleaner pre(compared to the Neve style above)? Transient rich (like the vp28's)? Just trying to get my head around where I would use a pair. Thanks for you insight.

E. J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemeister View Post
Hi Edge 8300
Vintage King and Musician's Friend both have the Radial - Jensen Twin Servo 500 series modules in stock.
You'll love the new Twin Servo... it is absolutely amazing!
Peter
Old 11th August 2017
Gear Nut

The Jensen 990 preamp was the brainchild of Deane Jensen. It made use of two transformers, two 990 op-amps and two inductive coils - hence the 'Twin" moniker. Deane believed early on that the primary cause for phase shift were the capacitors in the signal path. He also understood that noise levels are directly proportional to the input signal and desired output. To address these, he eliminated all capacitors in the signal path. He then created a two-step gain structure that can be thought of as two gears in a car - low and high - whereby at low levels, the background noise is reduced and at high gain, the circuit automatically adjusts to deliver more headroom. He then incorporated two of Jensen's finest transformers at the input and the output. The result is a stunning frequency response that ranges from around 10z to 80kHz. When we first plugged it in, we could not believe the bottom end. We thought there was an EQ patched into the signal path. We soon realized that we had never heard this type of response from any preamp before. The 990 has become legendary in that it delivers the most accurate picture of what is being presented. Unlike others that are pared down versions, the Radial 500 series Twin Servo follows Deane's original recipe with 100% discrete part placement directly on the circuit board. As a final thought, many preamps boast character... the Twin Servo boasts accuracy while delivering the warm Bessel response of the Legendary Jensen Transformer!
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Nut

Bump

Interested to hear from users and their experiences
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari88 View Post
Bump

Interested to hear from users and their experiences
Me, too. After all the discussions, and the product being in the field for a while now, the thread has gone silent.

Also, Hardy's version was expected to ship a couple years ago -- any info on that?
Old 19th February 2018
Bump ...

Anyone try this yet, and/or compare to the Hardy Twin Servo?
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravymanstan View Post
Bump ...

Anyone try this yet, and/or compare to the Hardy Twin Servo?
It's a strange topic -- very little is being said. I'm sure there have been comparisons but we may not hear about them.
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

What sources do you use the boulder, hardy, radial twin servo's for...ribbon mics?

what compressors and mics do you like the pairing with that sounds outstanding and unique?

Spoke with Tony Sheppard and he loved to twin servos when recording to tape but not as much when recording to PT. I found that the twin servo sounds fairly close to the A designs ventura with the ventura having just a little more color.

Curious to your thoughts...

ej
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search