The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AAX-DSP? Yes! A kickstarter project you can support if you use DSP.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Software AAX-DSP? Yes! A kickstarter project you can support if you use DSP.

Hi, I'm Quinto from www.sknote.it - Hardware and Software Products for Audio, we develop software and hardware for audio world.

We recently were tempted to jump into AAX-DSP development. It is a fantastic system, it is relatively simple to do while porting the code to AAX, it is the right time to do it.

The startup is quite a serious effort for a small company, a good hardware system from AVID is needed for testing, a development system from Texas Instruments for coding and debugging, time and energy to acquire the right, specific experience are stolen from other activities. But we have a solid background.

We don't know if DSP world is waiting for us, so we got the idea to try crowd-funding.
If you are interested in seeing one small, strongly motivated company come to DSP world you can do it. Rewards are great, they are the licenses for the first products!

It is a small project but will let us in a new state, with hardware, experience and know how to extend all our offering (present and future) available for this fantastic system.

Here is the project on kickstarter.com:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-audio-plugins

Audio world is connected, word of mouth is what can make it happen.

For any question: write here or to quintosardo at yahoo dot it.

Last edited by quintosardo; 8th September 2015 at 09:47 PM..
Old 8th September 2015
Gear Addict

Link to kickstarter doesn't work. Seems like you copied it with "..."

Edit: here's correct link, I guess: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-audio-plugins
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot! Fixed.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

I pledged! All fingers and toes crossed that this meets it's goal!
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

A bit of background behind the project:

We are (finally, would you believe?) testing our AAX (native) products.
Avid presented this beautiful system (AAX) that is replacing their RTAS/TDM, for both native (on host's CPU) and DSP (on dedicated processing boards) solutions.

AAX-DSP is the version of the plugin that can run (partially or entirely) on the DSP boards.
Main advantages are: extra-low latency, stability, better reliability (also because of lower load on CPU). Looks like this is the way to go if you want to track and monitor through plugins.

I was contacted by several users, asking if we were planning to port to AAX-DSP.
My answer was "no, too much workload, too small customer base".

Then, while developing AAX-native, I studied AAX-DSP. And I got how a beautiful system it is. And how well Avid integrated everything for the best code re-use. Yes, we want to produce for this system.
And I got a better picture of the infamous "Avid let their customers down abandoning TDM!" subject. It is a massive improvement, also from a sound perspective.

An AAX-DSP plugin runs at floating point 32 bit (at least), the same representation used in host's CPU, with all the advantages it gives. Old systems ran on fixed point chips. Getting exactly the same sound under all circumstances from such different systems is not simple. AAX-DSP makes it the right way.

------------

Now, we need to setup a hardware system. An Avid one, for tests, a Texas Instruments one, for coding and debugging (and in-deep testing).
A serious effort is needed to acquire the know-how (even though strong background and experience are already here) and the specific competence.
But we'll be able to offer the entire product range as DSP.

Are Pro Tools (HDX) people interested in our products? Who knows. They don't even have AAX-native from us (it is coming) so...

Here is why this idea looked like the best one.
It is a poll and a promotion at the same time. If the general interest exists, we'll be able to step on it without it being a big step in the dark.

The project's size is extremely small, don't be impressed. Cutting taxes, fees, etc. out it is still enough to cover the hardware systems (Avid helps developers with discounted hardware and free software) and the startup.

Net results will be:

- we'll have a full system for development
- acquired know-how, our software framework developed = easy development for all the future products
- porting first set of five products (STA-limit, C165a, Disto, SDC, SoundBrigade, but will be discussed with users)
- two new, original products (for "gold" and "diamond" pledgers)
- we'll have the first set of about 100 "DSP" customers!

Supporters get two kinds of advantages:

- super-discounted DSP products, immediately, starting from beta if they are into this kind of collaboration (and can strongly influence decisions! An inside view on all the development, including the new products).
- a new company in (DSP) town. Just imagine the effect it can have on other companies you like and aren't doing it...

Last edited by quintosardo; 10th September 2015 at 09:14 AM..
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

As a Reaper user I don't need AAX or AAX-DSP but I congratulate your ambition to produce plugins in these formats Quinto. I love your plugins and I have seen many times people complaining that they can't use your plugins because they are not in AAX format, even though they really want to. If this allows more people to use your wonderful work, then it has to be a good thing and I wish you the best of luck with this.

Now, how's Disto doing
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks
Disto is going extremely well, with all the usual difficulties (fun, for a nerd like me), and is going to be (perhaps? Fingers crossed) hardware-accelerated, too! :D

Last edited by quintosardo; 10th September 2015 at 09:55 AM..
Old 14th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
A bit of background behind the project:

We are (finally, would you believe?) testing our AAX (native) products.
Avid presented this beautiful system (AAX) that is replacing their RTAS/TDM, for both native (on host's CPU) and DSP (on dedicated processing boards) solutions.

AAX-DSP is the version of the plugin that can run (partially or entirely) on the DSP boards.
Main advantages are: extra-low latency, stability, better reliability (also because of lower load on CPU). Looks like this is the way to go if you want to track and monitor through plugins.

I was contacted by several users, asking if we were planning to port to AAX-DSP.
My answer was "no, too much workload, too small customer base".

Then, while developing AAX-native, I studied AAX-DSP. And I got how a beautiful system it is. And how well Avid integrated everything for the best code re-use. Yes, we want to produce for this system.
And I got a better picture of the infamous "Avid let their customers down abandoning TDM!" subject. It is a massive improvement, also from a sound perspective.

An AAX-DSP plugin runs at floating point 32 bit (at least), the same representation used in host's CPU, with all the advantages it gives. Old systems ran on fixed point chips. Getting exactly the same sound under all circumstances from such different systems is not simple. AAX-DSP makes it the right way.

------------

Now, we need to setup a hardware system. An Avid one, for tests, a Texas Instruments one, for coding and debugging (and in-deep testing).
A serious effort is needed to acquire the know-how (even though strong background and experience are already here) and the specific competence.
But we'll be able to offer the entire product range as DSP.

Are Pro Tools (HDX) people interested in our products? Who knows. They don't even have AAX-native from us (it is coming) so...

Here is why this idea looked like the best one.
It is a poll and a promotion at the same time. If the general interest exists, we'll be able to step on it without it being a big step in the dark.

The project's size is extremely small, don't be impressed. Cutting taxes, fees, etc. out it is still enough to cover the hardware systems (Avid helps developers with discounted hardware and free software) and the startup.

Net results will be:

- we'll have a full system for development
- acquired know-how, our software framework developed = easy development for all the future products
- porting first set of five products (STA-limit, C165a, Disto, SDC, SoundBrigade, but will be discussed with users)
- two new, original products (for "gold" and "diamond" pledgers)
- we'll have the first set of about 100 "DSP" customers!

Supporters get two kinds of advantages:

- super-discounted DSP products, immediately, starting from beta if they are into this kind of collaboration (and can strongly influence decisions! An inside view on all the development, including the new products).
- a new company in (DSP) town. Just imagine the effect it can have on other companies you like and aren't doing it...

Verry Cool!

Now, how can you get the attention of the HDX users and crowd. This is the most difficult part. I dont think many users are surfing on gearslutz or the DUC. Or maybe a small portion.

Could you have AVID help?

Cheers!
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Right.
I asked for this kind of help by Avid but no answer.

I think I know the right way of doing it.

Today we get our first product running 100% as AAX (native). Yes!
What's special? It is written 100% following the guidelines, DSP ready!

Now, if we could a new, special, product available as AAX-native during the campaign. And HDX users see it. Now, _this_ is real advertisement

I was thinking of the new BlowIR. A new system for ambience. Special, extremely simple interface.
Old 16th September 2015
Here for the gear
Maybe contact pro-tools-expert.com? It's one of the most readed resources for pro tools users.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

You're right.
Our banner and more going out tomorrow
Old 20th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're right.
Our banner and more going out tomorrow
Banner is up! Great article too
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear

Note!

It is an "all or nothing" project. It means that if we don't reach the target nothing is charged.

This is a great reason to pledge early if you are thinking of doing it, because it will make things move, improve general involvement and you risk nothing!

Also, the project starts before the deadline if we reach the target

First five products:

- Disto
- SDC
- C165a
- SoundBrigade
- STA-limit

(Details on www.sknote.it - Hardware and Software Products for Audio)

Following:

- a versatile delay
- a saturation multi-purpose effect
Old 21st September 2015
Do you provide demos of any existing products so that we can get a sense of what your company is all about?
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear

AAX still coming!
It is starting with Disto and STA.

I'm working on aax now so if you write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it we should have a way to let you test them there.

Last edited by quintosardo; 21st September 2015 at 04:33 PM..
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

AAX-DSP now available!
Old 13th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
AAX-DSP now available!
Wo! Wait! What???

πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear