The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015
Old 14th April 2015
News Desk Editor

Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015

Universal Audio is proud to introduce an all-new line of Apollo audio interfaces for Mac Thunderbolt users. With next-generation A/D and D/A conversion, new monitoring functions, Thunderbolt cascading of up to four interfaces, and Realtime UAD Processing — all housed within a sleek, black aluminum package — the new Apollo interfaces push the standard forward for professional music recording and production.

New Apollo Interface Shared Features:
  • Next-generation Apollo A/D and D/A conversion improves upon the original gold-standard Apollos
  • Onboard UAD-2 DSP allows Realtime UAD Processing — record through plug-ins from Lexicon, Studer, Manley, Ampex, UA, and more at near zero latency*
  • Unison™-enabled mic preamps and Hi-Z inputs (Apollo 8p and Apollo 8) for tracking through classic preamp emulations from Neve, API, and Universal Audio
  • Thunderbolt 2 audio interfaces (Mac only) allow cascading up to 4 Apollo interfaces and 6 UAD devices total over Thunderbolt
  • Includes “Realtime Analog Classics Plus” UAD plug-in bundle with 610-B Tube Preamp & EQ, Softube Amp Room, legacy LA-2A, 1176, and Fairchild compressors, Pultec EQs, and more

Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015-apollo-8-dynamic-hq.jpg
Apollo 8
Now shipping worldwide, Apollo 8 (US$1,999 w/ UAD-2 DUO Processing; US$2,499 w/ UAD-2 QUAD Processing) features four Unison™-enabled mic preamps and Hi-Z inputs for tracking through classic preamp emulations from Neve, API, and Universal Audio. Also included are new convenient front panel monitoring functions such as Alt Speakers, Dim, and Mono.

Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015-apollo-8p-dynamic-hq.jpg
Apollo 8p
Shipping in Q2, Apollo 8p (US$2,999 w/ UAD-2 QUAD Processing) features eight Unison™-enabled mic preamps and Hi-Z inputs, allowing recordists to track larger projects through classic preamp emulations from Neve, API, and Universal Audio. Apollo 8p also includes new convenient front panel monitoring functions such as Alt Speakers, Dim, and Mono.

Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015-apollo-16-dynamic-hq.jpg
Apollo 16
The new Apollo 16 is an elegant update to UA’s premium audio interface — delivering enhanced sound with the tone, feel, and flow of analog recording. Perfect for professional studios, this 18 x 20 Thunderbolt 2 interface offers twice the analog connectivity of the Apollo 8/8p — making it ideal for pairing with mixing consoles and outboard processors. Built on genuine UA analog design and next-generation A/D and D/A conversion, Apollo 16 also features powerful UAD-2 QUAD Core processing, letting you run the full library of UAD Powered Plug-Ins in real time. With sonic performance that surpasses anything in its class, Apollo 16 rivals modular converters costing twice the price, in a sleek, powerful new package.

Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015-apollo_3qtr_shdw_hq2.jpg
Apollo FireWire
Finally, Universal Audio is pleased to announce Apollo FireWire (US$1,999 w/ QUAD Processing). Shipping in Q2, Apollo FireWire continues to offer Windows and legacy FireWire Macs Apollo’s gold-standard A/D and D/A conversion, Realtime UAD processing, and 4 Unison™-enabled mic preamps for tracking through preamp emulations from Neve, API, and Universal Audio.

Link : Apollo Audio Interfaces with Realtime UAD Processing and Thunderbolt
#MESSE2015
Attached Thumbnails
Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015-apollo-8-dynamic-hq.jpg   Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015-apollo-8p-dynamic-hq.jpg   Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015-apollo-16-dynamic-hq.jpg   Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015-apollo_3qtr_shdw_hq2.jpg  

Last edited by The Press Desk; 15th April 2015 at 06:26 PM..
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

UA Apollo 2.0??

Beginning of video:

Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

more pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015-baec79320afffb98a6324f274dab0a79772bf54322caa173eb84fd31b0f15e63__73581.1428956250.502.525.png   Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015-apollo.jpg  
Old 14th April 2015
Gear Nut

8P? I wonder what it stands for
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldini View Post
8P? I wonder what it stands for
I'm thinking 8 preamps.

What I really want to know, though, is what is new about the black 16???? I've never seen a sexier interface than that....
Old 14th April 2015
Looks interesting!
Old 14th April 2015
Here for the gear

Wow. didn't see this one coming. Sexy
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

This is going to be a big one.

Looks like a 4 & 8 preamp version. Most likely an Octo inside (if the "8" theme is any indication). Probably done away with the card in the rear port and will have on board Thunderbolt, and most likely no FW. Possibility of an upgrade in the conversion department too which would address the most common complaint (maybe they step up to an ESS Sabre on the DA side like their competitors).

Start up the old rumor mill!
Old 14th April 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHo Kid View Post
I'm thinking 8 preamps.

What I really want to know, though, is what is new about the black 16???? I've never seen a sexier interface than that....
Maybe that's what the top 8 one is. I imagine the 16 and maybe the others will be octo core.
Old 14th April 2015
Here for the gear

Can't wait to read the full specs of the new models!
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Still only quad core processing on a three thousand dollar interface, adding dour more sharcs cost less 50 dollars.....
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

"Includes "Realtime Analog Classics Plus" UAD plug-in bundle with 610-B Tube Preamp & EQ, Raw Distortion, Softube Amp Rooms, legacy LA-2A, 1176, and Fairchild compressors, Pultec EQs and more"

Still Quads, though.
I think that may be a real estate issue.
Maybe they should have made it a 2ru to get an Octo in there.
Maybe that's what the Apollo 32 will be.

"Onboard UAD-2 QUAD Core DSP allows Realtime UAD Processing - record through plugins from Neve, Lexicon, Studer, Marshall, Ampex and more"

Marshall?

Last edited by Seamus TM; 14th April 2015 at 08:27 PM..
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Apollo 8p is a dramatic update to one of the world’s most popular professional audio interfaces, delivering enhanced sound with the tone, feel, and flow of analog recording. This 16 x 20 Thunderbolt interface features eight onboard Unison™ mic preamps — perfect for mobile rigs and tracking full bands — as well as powerful onboard UAD-2 QUAD processing. Built on genuine UA analog design and next-generation A/D and D/A conversion, the Apollo 8p puts class-leading sonic performance in a sleek new package.

Apollo 8p further distinguishes itself with Realtime UAD Processing and Unison™ technology, letting you record at near-zero latency through the full range of UAD plug-ins from Neve, Studer, Manley, Lexicon, and more — including new mic preamp emulations from Neve, API and Universal Audio.* Apollo Expanded software now allows cascading up to four Apollos and six total UAD-2 devices in a single system over Thunderbolt (Mac), so you can scale up your studio as your needs grow.

Features:
Next-generation Apollo A/D and D/A conversion for professional music production

Onboard UAD-2 QUAD Core DSP allows Realtime UAD Processing - record through plugins from Neve, Lexicon, Studer, Marshall, Ampex and more

8 Unison-enabled mic preamps for tracking through preamp emulations from Neve, API and Universal Audio

16 x 20 Thunderbolt 2 audio interface for Mac with powerful Console 2.0 software control

Cascade up to 4 Apollo interfaces and 6 UAD devices total overr Thunderbolt (Mac)

Convenient front panel monitoring functions including Alt Speakers, Dim and Mono

Includes "Realtime Analog Classics Plus" UAD plug-in bundle with 610-B Tube Preamp & EQ, Raw Distortion, Softube Amp Rooms, legacy LA-2A, 1176 and Fairchild compressors, Pultec Eqs and more

World class UA analog esign, superior components and premium build quality
Old 14th April 2015
Wonder what the upgrade in conversion will be???
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Woulda been nice if they had upgraded to octo DSP tho tbh.. O'well, if this means that Apollo 1.0 quads just got a price drop on the 2nd hand market, I wont be complaining
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick8801 View Post
Wonder what the upgrade in conversion will be???
These days "next generation" usually means Sabre ESS32 chip sets. We'll see though. Would have to be a different analog circuit to match.
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

they have said many times they cannot fit an octo
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

So to sum it up, better converters and one with 8 pres now.

We need details on the converters!!!!
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Nice!! Hope they offer trade up program like the UAD-1 to UAD-2!!
Old 14th April 2015
Here for the gear

Any news on if they releasing any new plugins? I'm curious what they have coming...
Old 14th April 2015
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHo Kid View Post
Beginning of video:

Figured this was in the pipeline for this year. Can't wait to read to see the specs.
Old 15th April 2015
****! Got an Apollo 8 in the box I just bought to build a new live rig around. Would definitely like 8 preamps though. Anyone want a new Apollo for $1900?
Old 15th April 2015
Lives for gear

This seems like UA's answer to the Antelope Zen.
Old 15th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
This seems like UA's answer to the Antelope Zen.
More like the new Ensemble. Even the looks.
Old 15th April 2015
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
More like the new Ensemble. Even the looks.
+1
Old 15th April 2015
Having just purchased the Apollo Quad this is sort of a bummer, but that's the breaks.

I would have loved to have had the "next generation" conversion more than the extra pre-amps...
Old 15th April 2015
I don't think the conversion is upgraded. I think the statement "next gen conversion" is implying that their gear is already next gen conversion. I think it's just a new slogan, look rebrand, possibly revamping connection ports, and a nice clean way to release the 8P to compete with the Ensemble.

But with quad cores still this is nothing special. And if you still can't fully hardware bypass the preamps, then I'd rather have an Ensemble
Old 15th April 2015
Lives for gear

Does look and feel like they are chasing the new Ensemble (black paint job, 8 preamps) etc. Next gen ? They all say that - what were they going to say "today's gen" ?

I own an Apollo - it's gorgeous as it is, works great, does everything I expected it to and more - just as they day I bought it. Not enough here to get me to upgrade.

+ (8) Preamps - very nice indeed. With development of Unison, putting in (8) pre's is a nice addition and a logical step
+ Out of the gate TB connectivity

- No Octa Card
- Price
- Black paint job (I like the silver, but that`s me)

? "Next gen". Right there with "archive-grade, world class, best in class, mastering-grade" ya di ya. Marketing novlangue.

If I didn't already have one, maybe. A platform, decision as other than the plugs, the new Ensemble does a lot of the same, at lower price point.

Cdlt
Old 15th April 2015
Next Generation UA Apollo Interfaces

How come no one's talking about the next gen UA Apollo interfaces yet? They look pretty cool. Looks like they dumped the firewire and PC support.

Universal Audio Announces Next-Generation Apollo Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interfaces for 2015 - Press Room - Universal Audio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search