Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   New Products - Coming soon (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-products-coming-soon/)
-   -   Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-products-coming-soon/1000609-musikmesse-2015-universal-audio-announces-apollo-thunderbolt-2-2015-a.html)

Foesters 15th April 2015 07:56 AM

So the apollo 16b is basically a apollo 16 that's painted black??

Matt Hepworth 15th April 2015 08:20 AM

UA's doing a Q&A here that just started - Next Generation Apollos - Q&A with Gannon Kashiwa

Gannon from UA will be commenting and answering questions directly throughout the show.

I can confirm that conversion IS upgraded.

tsutek 15th April 2015 08:26 AM

What, the ensemble runs UAD unison plugins now?? Didn't think so.. :cop:

The new 8p is obviously for people who want to run as much unison as possible.. Wouldn't mind that at all actually but this is out of my price range.

lllubi 15th April 2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfarness (Post 10972532)
How come no one's talking about the next gen UA Apollo interfaces yet? They look pretty cool. Looks like they dumped the firewire and PC support.

Universal Audio Announces Next-Generation Apollo Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interfaces for 2015 - Press Room - Universal Audio

Too many are in a state of shock realizing that AD/DAs are improved in the newer models.

lllubi 15th April 2015 10:25 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1FCeuZ3o3o#t=14

Gearhansi 15th April 2015 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lllubi (Post 10972795)

Thanks. Great video. The 8p looks not so bad.

lllubi 15th April 2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearhansi (Post 10972832)
Thanks. Great video. The 8p looks not so bad.

The Marshall sounds nice with the new converters even on my Bose Mini.

Tranxformer 15th April 2015 01:29 PM

Firewire is predictably gone. The only connectivity for old Mac Pros, which a lot of pro people are still using, is the "unimplemented" Madi port on the new Apollo 16.
This used to be used in the old model to slave two units together but with TB2 there should be no need for it, so I imagine that, at some point on the future, UA will implement it so that it would be possible to connect to a Madi PCie card. But at this point it's pure speculation. I have to say this doesn't look good for Mac Pro users, and it makes me question the "made for pro studios" status of the Apollo 16. Pro studios running laptops, iMacs or the new "bin" Mac Pro? I haven't seen any.
Also, I have to say some of you guys are real sports - had I bought one of the older units recently to see a replacement with better converters come out within two years of the launch of the previous model I'd be pretty bummed out!

nick8801 15th April 2015 01:38 PM

I don't find anything wrong with the converters on the original version. The DA on the monitoring was a little weak, but that's what I have my Source for. I'm sure these will be even better, but it doesn't mean the older version is obsolete by any standards. I do dig the fact that you can bypass the pre's on the line ins. That is the one thing I really dislike on mine.

jezed16 15th April 2015 02:26 PM

In the video he says the firewire version is cheaper at 1999 usd, but it's not clear which version. Also can you gang multiple units together using tb then use the firewire as a master?

babul 15th April 2015 02:31 PM

How does Apollo 8 compare to the original Apollo?
Apollo 8 has better Total Harmonic Distortion, Dynamic Range, and Signal-to-Noise specifications versus the original Apollo. This translates into a more open and natural sound.

More specifically, next-generation Apollo 8 and Apollo 8p specs are 3 dB better on A/D and D/A conversion versus the original Apollo, and 6 dB better on the monitor outputs.

Additionally, the preamp circuitry can be bypassed on line inputs for the purest signal path when using external mic preamps, and the headphone outputs are cleaner and louder too.

Xavier G 15th April 2015 03:34 PM

I was just about to pull the trigger on the current model. Is this worth waiting for? Looks pretty similar, just better conversion and more money I suppose. Perhaps the current models will go down in price soon?

MickeyMassacre 15th April 2015 03:46 PM

They're the same price as current models were as of yesterday.

nst7 15th April 2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jezed16 (Post 10973242)
In the video he says the firewire version is cheaper at 1999 usd, but it's not clear which version. Also can you gang multiple units together using tb then use the firewire as a master?

Based on their website, it appears that the updated firewire version will only be available with the Quad processor, not the Duo.

From what I can see, the only update is that now it has the Unison preamps built in.

12tone 15th April 2015 04:07 PM

looks good, except not having an octo version...really missed the boat on that one...

Jimmy kiddo 15th April 2015 04:13 PM

i'd rather a summing mix console DAW controller with 16 line inputs ,2bus and no preamps,with real fader automation and maybe EQ,,,,that i would have put my money in !!

Stenness 15th April 2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12tone (Post 10973526)
looks good, except not having an octo version...really missed the boat on that one...

According to Universal Audio's Gannon Kashiwa:

It is not physically possible for us to fit 8 DSPs in an Apollo. We use every single pin on our FPGA to host I/O and virtual paths, so there are no connections left. OCTOs are possible in a processor format like a PCIe card or Satellite Thunderbolt because there is no I/O, so we can support a larger number of DSPs.

lostwars 15th April 2015 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babul (Post 10973255)
How does Apollo 8 compare to the original Apollo?
Apollo 8 has better Total Harmonic Distortion, Dynamic Range, and Signal-to-Noise specifications versus the original Apollo. This translates into a more open and natural sound.

More specifically, next-generation Apollo 8 and Apollo 8p specs are 3 dB better on A/D and D/A conversion versus the original Apollo, and 6 dB better on the monitor outputs.

Additionally, the preamp circuitry can be bypassed on line inputs for the purest signal path when using external mic preamps, and the headphone outputs are cleaner and louder too.

So my first gen Apollo Quad is obsolete now? Most people don't monitor through the Apollo if they can help it.

This sounds and feels so much like diminishing returns and marketing speak to compete with the Ensemble. What if someone bought an Apollo Quad a month ago then they see this? Would it make them feel good about their purchase? I've been using Lynx Aurora converters in my studio for over 6 years. I guess those are unusable now too!

ice9 15th April 2015 04:34 PM

It's not physically possible to do the octo, but it also encourages people to buy two quads for cascading to get the octo.

mixedbyolivier 15th April 2015 04:42 PM

did UA mention any release date yet?

T11 15th April 2015 04:56 PM

It's mentioned in the video above

Apollo 8 - 2499 USD - release now
Apollo 8P - 2999 USD - release this quarter
Apollo 16 MKII - 2999 USD - release this quarter
Apollo Quad FW - 1999 USD - release this quarter

jezed16 15th April 2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T11 (Post 10973685)
It's mentioned in the video above

Apollo 8 - 2499 USD - release now
Apollo 8P - 2999 USD - release this quarter
Apollo 16 MKII - 2999 USD - release this quarter
Apollo Quad FW - 1999 USD - release this quarter

By apollo quad do you mean a apollo 8 with fw card? So 4 pres?

tsutek 15th April 2015 05:29 PM

An octo Apollo with 8 unison pres would make perfect sense since one channel inside an Apollo console may only consume up to a single SHARCs worth of DSP, and these resources AFAIK cannot be combined with multiple Apollos? What I mean is, in the Apollo world, an octo > 2xquads.. Whereas in the non-Apollo context, 1 octo = 2xquads. This is because in Apollo Console system, all the processing is happening inside the FPGA before even hitting the I/O, so even cascading Apollo resources would require leaving the FPGA domain and therefore introduce increase in latency. Please correct me if I've misunderstood this.

And when they say the I/O of the FPGA is already full, that sounds to me like lowering channel count would enable eight DSPs.. ie. they'd have to cut connectivity down (ADAT, hp outs, hi-z ins etc).. But I still wonder whether it would actually be possible to build an 8 unison pre apollo, if it was stripped from all other connectivity (no digital I/O, no analog outs etc)..

With an octo 8p one could load up the theoretical maximum of DSP for every unison channel, and print everything on the way in.

satissounds 15th April 2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jezed16 (Post 10973788)
By apollo quad do you mean a apollo 8 with fw card? So 4 pres?

On their website it states that the Apollo Quad FW has 4 pres.

Keith.

bgrotto 15th April 2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostwars (Post 10973563)
So my first gen Apollo Quad is obsolete now? Most people don't monitor through the Apollo if they can help it.

This sounds and feels so much like diminishing returns and marketing speak to compete with the Ensemble. What if someone bought an Apollo Quad a month ago then they see this? Would it make them feel good about their purchase? I've been using Lynx Aurora converters in my studio for over 6 years. I guess those are unusable now too!

I don't get the question here. Seems to me your Apollo Quad won't suddenly stop passing signal when the new units are released. And if someone bought a Quad a month ago, theirs will probably continue to function too.

jezed16 15th April 2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satissounds (Post 10973834)
On their website it states that the Apollo Quad FW has 4 pres.

Keith.

just noticed via the website obviously I was confused. I was thinking the firewire would be the next generation whereas to me it looks like the mk1, as it doesn't have the monitor section/led etc.

Gutted.....

NoHo Kid 15th April 2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tranxformer (Post 10973112)
Firewire is predictably gone. The only connectivity for old Mac Pros, which a lot of pro people are still using, is the "unimplemented" Madi port on the new Apollo 16.
This used to be used in the old model to slave two units together but with TB2 there should be no need for it, so I imagine that, at some point on the future, UA will implement it so that it would be possible to connect to a Madi PCie card. But at this point it's pure speculation. I have to say this doesn't look good for Mac Pro users, and it makes me question the "made for pro studios" status of the Apollo 16. Pro studios running laptops, iMacs or the new "bin" Mac Pro? I haven't seen any.
Also, I have to say some of you guys are real sports - had I bought one of the older units recently to see a replacement with better converters come out within two years of the launch of the previous model I'd be pretty bummed out!

no, because you can't use MADI to control the plugins you need a data connection.

NoHo Kid 15th April 2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ice9 (Post 10973614)
It's not physically possible to do the octo, but it also encourages people to buy two quads for cascading to get the octo.

Which doesn't make sense since the I/O would also be doubled leaving you with the same issue.

12tone 15th April 2015 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stenness (Post 10973558)
According to Universal Audio's Gannon Kashiwa:

It is not physically possible for us to fit 8 DSPs in an Apollo. We use every single pin on our FPGA to host I/O and virtual paths, so there are no connections left. OCTOs are possible in a processor format like a PCIe card or Satellite Thunderbolt because there is no I/O, so we can support a larger number of DSPs.

....hmm? Physically not possible or unwilling to try to find a solution?

I don't what I/O has to do with expanding dsp horsepower...or am I missing something? In the least sacrifice something somewhere else to make it happen...

(seems more a marketing decision rather a technological conundrum)

bgrotto 15th April 2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12tone (Post 10973941)
....hmm? Physically not possible or unwilling to try to find a solution?

I don't what I/O has to do with expanding dsp horsepower...or am I missing something? In the least sacrifice something somewhere else to make it happen...

(seems more a marketing decision rather a technological conundrum)

Couldn't disagree more. If they could make an Apollo 16 "plus" version, which would of course come at a higher price, of course they'd do it. People would no doubt buy them. But if they had to "sacrifice something somewhere else" they'd no doubt be alienating yet another group of users.