The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015
Old 11th June 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
thanks

i will post my results here. being a songwriter who is finaly releasing songs and finishing them, i have discovered a workflow that has meant re thinking some of the ger in m studio. having limited time its all about workflow now fo me. i am hoping th apo;;o and satelite via thunderbolt on my 2014 imac will rely bring alot to the table for me

i also kwo the symphony sound inside and out in my studio so this will be very esy to tell teh diff but aso to see if when ou use the plugs to record thru you cant even surpass the sound quality and ten have less to do behind recording at mixig

we will see, the symphony sounds great and is rock solid so it has to strt there for me
Did you already order the Apollo?
Old 11th June 2015
Gear Guru

How good is their trade in offer? I don't feel like uhm... asking.
Old 13th June 2015
Lives for gear

this apollo 8p looks good, but i hate the xlr/trs combo thing. its impossible to connect to a patchbay, and for the records, console 2.0 sucks big time.
Old 15th June 2015
Here for the gear

I really would like to find someone on the net comparing the new Apollo with the old. I would like to know about the new converters.
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dorr View Post
I really would like to find someone on the net comparing the new Apollo with the old. I would like to know about the new converters.
Here's the only specific info I have found so far besides, "it sounds good"
Attached Thumbnails
Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015-pollo.jpg  
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Hey which thread is that post from?
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRODMRI View Post
Hey which thread is that post from?
It's near the end of the massive "UA Apollo First Look..." thread started by CowboyCoalminer

UA Apollo First Look (user review)
Old 19th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by malekmusic View Post
this apollo 8p looks good, but i hate the xlr/trs combo thing. its impossible to connect to a patchbay, and for the records, console 2.0 sucks big time.
Have you used an Apollo with Console 2.0? If so, what about it sucks?
Old 19th June 2015
Quote:
I'm not really sure what your question or point is. 8P has a lot more preamps, that's what you are paying for. The regular 8 has fewer preamps, but extra other connections.

They had to make room for the preamps, so they took a few things off.

The Apollo 16 should also get mentioned. It loses SPDIF and ADAT altogether!

So in a way, the regular Apollo 8 seems like the best all around value to me, with a little bit of everything and room for expansion via digital connections.

This is nothing alarming. Most manufacturers have different interfaces with different features in the same line. Buy the one you need.
Indeed. 8 channels of conversion with 8 built in preamps was what I wanted and needed. 8P fit my needs perfectly. I'm willing to bet, as was Universal Audio, that I'm not the only person that has this specific need.
Old 19th June 2015
In case anyone is interested, I think it sounds great. I can't offer any hype or comparisons. All I can say is that if I can't make a perfectly useful recording on this that can be mixed and printed for commercial use it is not the fault of the Apollo.
Old 19th June 2015
Quote:
Interestingly I had a hard time choosing between the Apollo 8P and the Apogee Ensemble TB. In the end, having the ability to track with the UAD plugs was what swayed me. I consider that to be a significant advantage for small studios that need high quality sound and track allot of acoustic instruments. Those instruments, which includes a Steinway Grand Piano and a set of Gretsch drums, take up allot of space. Saving space while increasing capability is important for me.
Old 19th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Indeed. 8 channels of conversion with 8 built in preamps was what I wanted and needed. 8P fit my needs perfectly. I'm willing to bet, as was Universal Audio, that I'm not the only person that has this specific need.
I wish it were that easy. I do have that specific need for 8 mic pres (portable set up), but to do so I have to give up 2 separate line outs (vs the 4 mic pre version) and from posts I've read on the UAD forums, it appears people are only getting 4 instances of the unison MKII 1073 before running out of DSP on the Quad Apollo.

I made this post yesterday in a different thread (no replies yet)>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Anyone here using the 1073 MKII plug/unison on the new 8P Apollo quad? How many instances are you getting?

I've read of users getting only 4 instances on a Quad Apollo. Perhaps this is due to the sample rates they're running (UAD's instance chart is based on 44.1 sample rates), or they have the EQ's turned on (even if not using them), etc.

Looking for a slim portable set up (macbook pro + Apollo). I'm torn between the Apollo 8 and 8p. The 8 (4 mic pres) has 2 additional line outs vs the 8p. I have a good console, so it's a plus for those addition outs.

I do want/need 8 mic pres (so I don't have to lug my big/heavy separate pres to locations), but to me it seems the big selling point of the Apollo 8p is the unison thingy, but if the Quad 8p can't do 8 instances of unison 1073 MKII's, it seems like a short sell, especially since the 8p is $500 more and has 2 less line outs.

Old 19th June 2015
Quote:
I wish it were that easy. I do have that specific need for 8 mic pres (portable set up), but to do so I have to give up 2 separate line outs (vs the 4 mic pre version) and from posts I've read on the UAD forums, it appears people are only getting 4 instances of the unison MKII 1073 before running out of DSP on the Quad Apollo.

I made this post yesterday in a different thread (no replies yet)>>
Because the 8P just started shipping last week. Nobody has had a chance yet as far as I know.
Old 19th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because the 8P just started shipping last week. Nobody has had a chance yet as far as I know.
Users were maxing out their quad DSP on the silverfaces with 4 instances of the 1073 MKII's...
Old 19th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Users were maxing out their quad DSP on the silverfaces with 4 instances of the 1073 MKII's...
That's why I'll stay with my legacy version of it... ^^
Old 20th June 2015
Lives for gear

To get 8 instances of of unison 1073's, one might have to buy 2 of the Apollo quad 8's, and run 4 instances on each unit
Old 20th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you used an with Console 2.0? If so, what about it sucks?
Yes i had 2.0 with my apollo twin duo and had to downgrade unfortunatly.

1. I wasnt able to open some projects. The console 2.0 taxes 3 % more of my dsp. I know ua claims that cpu usage is the same with the righz configuration. Anyhow i have 8% dsp usage with console 2.0 without opening any plugins and console 1.0 its 5%.

2. I dont like the design. Everything seems so small and its hard to see if a plugin is enabled or not

3. Hardwareinserts in cubase didnt work anymore. I had to reroute line out 3/4 in the console which leads to an endless feedback-loop. After that i can use it but...

4. Cubase then was not able to calculate the roundtrip of the ad/da.

So downgrading was the best thing i could do.

Last edited by malekmusic; 21st June 2015 at 03:58 AM..
Old 20th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by malekmusic View Post
Yes i had 2.0 with my apollo twin duo and had to downgrade unfortunatly.

1. I wasnt able to open some projects. The console 2.0 taxes 3 % more of my dsp. I know ua claims that cpu usage is the same with the righz configuration. Anyhow i have 8% dsp usage with console 2.0 without opening any plugins and console 1.0 its 5%.

2. I dont like the design. Everything seems so small and its hard to see if a plugin is enabled or not

3. Hardwareinsertd in cubase didnt work anymore. I had to reroute line out 3/4 in the console which leads to an endless feedback-loop. After that i can use it but...

4. Cubase then was not able to calculate the roundtrip of the ad/da.

So downgrading was the best thubg i could do.
All I can say is this has not been my experience. I can offer an anecdotal opinion nonetheless. When I upgraded to Yosemite everything went to hell on my system. I had to dump every program and downgrade back to Maverick to get everything (PT 11 ) working. I now have PT 12 with the Apollo and it works great. No problems or issues. Console is certainly "big" enough and does what it is supposed to without any trouble and it is pretty straight forward and easy to deal with. Seems we have had remarkably different experiences.
Old 21st June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
All I can say is this has not been my experience. I can offer an anecdotal opinion nonetheless. When I upgraded to Yosemite everything went to hell on my system. I had to dump every program and downgrade back to Maverick to get everything (PT 11 ) working. I now have PT 12 with the Apollo and it works great. No problems or issues. Console is certainly "big" enough and does what it is supposed to without any trouble and it is pretty straight forward and easy to deal with. Seems we have had remarkably different experiences.
The design was my smallest concern. But you did not experience an increased cpu demand of console 2?
Old 22nd June 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
To get 8 instances of of unison 1073's, one might have to buy 2 of the Apollo quad 8's, and run 4 instances on each unit
I just did a session on an Apollo8p with eight 1073's, a Fairchild, an LA-2A, and an EMT140 for headphone reverb - awesome!
Old 22nd June 2015
MJB
Lives for gear

Old Tools, did you have any experience with the original Apollo? I'd love to hear your impressions when comparing it to the 8p, especially the new converters. The original converters seem good until you try separate conversion, and the slightly nasty midrange push and edge go away.
Old 22nd June 2015
Gear Maniac
Oh I can't wait to hear the sound file comparison. Someone, somewhere is already on it. haha
Old 22nd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTools View Post
I just did a session on an Apollo8p with eight 1073's, a Fairchild, an LA-2A, and an EMT140 for headphone reverb - awesome!
MKII version 1073's? Or just the legacy versions?
What sample rate were you using?
Old 23rd June 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Old Tools, did you have any experience with the original Apollo? I'd love to hear your impressions when comparing it to the 8p, especially the new converters. The original converters seem good until you try separate conversion, and the slightly nasty midrange push and edge go away.
I have an original Apollo (the new one was a friend's). We were at his place, so no side-by-side comparison. I thought it sounded great, but then, I don't hear any nasty midrange with mine.

I'll see if we have time to do a comparison the next time we get together, but time is short and it's usually about recording music, not comparing gear. Sure was nice to have the 8 mic pre's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman
MKII version 1073's? Or just the legacy versions?
What sample rate were you using?
I don't think there is a MKII 1073 - We used the Unison 1073, the grey LA-2A (the new one), the Fairchild (collection), and the EMT140. We were at 44.1.

Last edited by OldTools; 23rd June 2015 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: I can't spell
Old 23rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTools View Post
I don't think there is a MKII 1073 - We used the Unison 1073, the grey LA-2A (the new one), the Fairchild (collection), and the EMT140. We were at 44.1.
Yes, there are legacy 1073's and MKII 1073's> Neve 1073 Legacy vs. MKII

Universal Audio Releases Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Plug-In Collection with Groundbreaking Unison Technology - Press Room - Universal Audio

The MKII unison version came out last year, the legacy 1073 came out in 2006. If you purchased your 1073's recently, like after May of last year, then you would have the MKII version, but apparently they also give you the legacy 1073/1073SE 'DSP light' version with that purchase also.

Though if you used unison, I think that's only on the MKII version?

Though at 44.1 sample rate, that could be the main reason you were able to get 8 instances of MKII 1073's....
Old 29th June 2015
Gear Maniac
im still waiting to pull the trigger. Any reviews sound files?
Old 3rd July 2015
Gear Maniac
Got a chance to hear and sing ( terribly ) through the Apollo. I used my oktavamod 250. The mic pre amps sound smoother on top for sure. Definitely different sounding than the silver box.
Sounded almost compressed to me. But that could've been the mic and monitoring environment. I'll post a clip later.
Old 3rd July 2015
Gear Maniac
Jealous Guy

SO here's a clip of me singing Jealous Guy. Im using the MJE-250 . That mic is already on the smooth/thick side. Just kind of singing in a mic. I'm sure someone will have a more " official " test. But I definitely notice smoother coloration in the high end. I can post another clip of the old apollo ( with the same mic ) if someone wants it. But that clip was recorded elsewhere.

I'm playing with distance at the end for popping sounds. I'm not a singer. sorry. Ha!
Attached Files

JEV 8p Apollo.wav (8.03 MB, 2761 views)

Old 3rd July 2015
MJB
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting that FreeRanger. Of course it's impossible to form an opinion and judge accurately, but I think I hear a smoother high end too, and a little better tonal balance. The mid push is still there, but not as obvious, now it's more like a tone of its own than a shortcoming.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search