The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Musikmesse 2015: Universal Audio announces Apollo thunderbolt 2 for 2015
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRanger View Post
1 more thing, $550 for the hairball is really expensive. I paid $410. It's still expensive. But man, someone is charging quite the dollar. Just saying =)
Who's charging $410 for a 'built' hairball copper?

Just doing a google search, built to order Coppers appear to be about $550.

And btw, $410 (or even $550) is far from expensive for a quality discrete class-a mic pre with good transformers. It's quite the bargain actually. It might seem expensive compared to an Apollo, but again, that's an apples to oranges comparison....

Last edited by Fleaman; 22nd May 2015 at 08:11 AM..
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Apollo 8 QUAD has 2 extra analog outs!

I dunno if I missed it in this thread, but I just found out that the Blackface TB Apollo 8 (4 mic pre version) has 2 more line outs than the 8P Blackface (8 mic pre) version!

Apollo 8 with 10 line outs>

http://www.uaudio.com/interfaces/apollo-8.html (larger pics in link)

Apollo 8P with only 8 line outs>

http://www.uaudio.com/interfaces/apollo-8p.html (larger pics in link)

Confirmed here>
Interesting Silverface Advantage Over The New Blackface Apollos

Whatta bummer! Going for the 8 mic pre version will kill 2 of your line outs. Not a big deal for ITB guys of course, but everyone else

Last edited by Fleaman; 22nd May 2015 at 09:03 AM..
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

They axed the coaxial S/PDIF on the 8P too.

Not an issue for me though....
Old 22nd May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I dunno if I missed it in this thread, but I just found out that the Blackface TB Apollo 8 (4 mic pre version) has 2 more line outs than the 8P Blackface (8 mic pre) version!

Apollo 8 Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface (larger pics in link)

Apollo 8p Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface (larger pics in link)

Confirmed here>

Whatta bummer! Going for the 8 mic pre version will kill 2 of your line outs. Not a big deal for ITB guys of course, but everyone else
thanks for pointing this out. I some how missed this... sux for the guys wanting to do some summing on a console like me. I do have a HD24xr that I'm guessing will work with the adat out to give me 8 more outs but I am not sold of the 8p yet. This is such a hard decision! Do any of you Apollo users use an HD24 along side the Apollo to expand the I/O by combining analog and digital ins and outs? And if so is it seamless?
Old 22nd May 2015
MJB
Lives for gear

I've always imagined an Apollo as a sub mixer for something like 4- or 5 drum mics, pared with a real board, or a summing mixer. I don't have any issues with latency when tracking in low latency mode in Logic, so I don't think the Apollo's ability to track with very low latency is enough of a selling point anymore. I really think they need to price their plugs more reasonably, and get more creative with them. Slate's VBC is a good example.

So, which Apollo would be the best choice to mate with a nice 24 track soundboard? (assuming you have a couple of good preamps) Just curious, I'm a long way away from that possibility right now.
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
So, which Apollo would be the best choice to mate with a nice 24 track soundboard? (assuming you have a couple of good preamps) Just curious, I'm a long way away from that possibility right now.
Apollo 16 of course. But at the price, should probably just go for the antelope orion if you don't need the UAD-2 processing (for mixing). If you do want UAD-2, you could still get an octo satellite, though it will only work in mix mode...
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
While laying in my bed last night, I remembered reading somewhere that the Apollo 8's (8/8P) had only 8 channels of analog conversion (AD/DA). This would me the 10 line outs on the Apollo 8 would not be able to do 10 different mono outs.

Looking at UA's own spec page on the blackface Apollos, they do list both the Apollo 8p/8 AD as: Eight channels of analog-to-digital conversion via mic, line, or high-impedance inputs.

But for the DA outputs they list them differently>

Apollo 8>
14 channels of digital-to-analog conversion via:
• Eight mono line outputs
• Stereo monitor outputs (switchable to fixed line outputs)
• Two stereo headphone outputs

Apollo 8P>
• 12 channels of digital-to-analog conversion via:
• Six mono line outputs
• Stereo monitor outputs (switchable to fixed line outputs)
• Two stereo headphone outputs

What seems odd to me is that would mean the apollo 8 has a 8ch AD chip and a 10 ch DA chip, along with the additional circuitry (or 14ch DA chip?? with the 8P actually having a 12ch DA chip?)

Just doesn't seem like a manufacture would do something like that on the 'cheaper' unit.

I might sign up over on the the UAD forum to just ask this question (there's a couple of good digital chip techies over there....)

Or maybe someone here who's a UAD forum member can cut/past my question there?
Old 22nd May 2015
Gear Guru

I'm not really sure what your question or point is. 8P has a lot more preamps, that's what you are paying for. The regular 8 has fewer preamps, but extra other connections.

They had to make room for the preamps, so they took a few things off.

The Apollo 16 should also get mentioned. It loses SPDIF and ADAT altogether!

So in a way, the regular Apollo 8 seems like the best all around value to me, with a little bit of everything and room for expansion via digital connections.

This is nothing alarming. Most manufacturers have different interfaces with different features in the same line. Buy the one you need.
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I'm not really sure what your question or point is. 8P has a lot more preamps, that's what you are paying for. The regular 8 has fewer preamps, but extra other connections.

They had to make room for the preamps, so they took a few things off.

The Apollo 16 should also get mentioned. It loses SPDIF and ADAT altogether!

The point/question is if these apollos really have 12 or 14 independent channels of DA conversion, or just 8 channels of DA conversion and 12 or 14 'connectors'.

For those of us with consoles, it matters.
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

The specs state how many channels of DA are on each unit. You posted it yourself.
Old 22nd May 2015
Here for the gear

Is anyone using legacy apollo with high end converters? I am not sure to either get a new apollo or buy high end A/D converters.
Old 22nd May 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dorr View Post
Is anyone using legacy apollo with high end converters? I am not sure to either get a new apollo or buy high end A/D converters.
I am using Apollo 8 Duo with a couple DACs and an ADC.

I still use the Apollo inputs and ADC for recording most things. Usually with outboard preamps. And I really enjoy the sound. But I always listen on my other DACs.

I wonder if the new, next-gen Apollo DAC would measure up to what I'm used to...

I also use a Steinberg UR824 in standalone to max out my analog channel count via ADAT. Mostly for out-of-the-box mixdowns.

I guess the new converter quality really is the main question about these black Apollos.

Last edited by monkeyxx; 23rd May 2015 at 12:16 AM..
Old 22nd May 2015
MJB
Lives for gear

I had a Burl D/A for a week, and it was sweet. I also tried the BLA Micro Clock, and that was an improvement.

If the new Apollo approaches the improvement the Micro Clock made it would be cool, but if they get anywhere near what a really good converter like the BLA White Sparrow can do, I'd jump on it.
Old 23rd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath View Post
The specs state how many channels of DA are on each unit. You posted it yourself.
I'm aware of that of course.

Wouldn't be the first time specs/features were inaccurate...
Old 23rd May 2015
Quote:

Apollo 8 Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface (larger pics in link)

Apollo 8p Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface (larger pics in link)

Confirmed here>

Not a big deal for me. Ordered the 8P because it is still a best case scenario for me. I do believe that for each of us doing a job our needs tend to be somewhat specific and we are constrained to fill those needs as best as we can. And so the 8P wins my dollar vote.
Old 26th May 2015
Gear Maniac
Has anyone seen the Ua video of Snarky Puppy? Fab ( forgot his last name ) is in the studio with two Apollo 16s patched into neve 1081s.
I'd say the quality sounds pretty good. Obviously with NEVES, you're going to be in a good spot.
My question is about the Apollo 16 ( silver box ). Is the conversion different than the regular silver duo, quad apollos?
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krem View Post
Seems great for Mac people. But firewire for PC? In 2015? They`ve got to be kidding.
In 20015 you shouldn't be making music on a PC when macs are so cheap to buy now, the time I wasted sorting out problems on a PC just wasn't funny

Using a mac now and wont be going back to PC
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
And yet I'm pretty close to getting the Apogee TB. The only thing I am convinced of is that if my recordings don't sound good it's probably not the fault of the converter box. With respect to the USB-C issue, it appears that Thunderbolt is not disappearing. What is going to happen is USB-C will be on the more consumer oriented machines but the "Pro" level machines, that is to say the Mac Pro, will retain Thunderbolt connection. Which is fine with me since I have thunderbolt on both my macs and when I finally upgrade I will almost certainly upgrade to a Mac Pro. This is also consistent with the fact that the MacBooks, minis and maybe even iMacs (though I didn't check this last one) are only available on dual core now. It seems somewhat clear that Apple believes pro level usage deserves pro level computers and building a studio around a laptop is not within their product philosophy.
How do you know what is in Apples product Philosophy? Where are you quoting this inaccurate data from.. The mac book pro is perfectly capable of running all your music apps plus etc, and with solutions like apollo and satellite external DSP it takes things to a whole new level, I am doing things on Macbook Pro that that was only possible on towers of a few years ago.

BTW if you this IOS is dead for music production think again, this platform will get far more power in the not too distant future
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor For Music View Post
In 20015 you shouldn't be making music on a PC when macs are so cheap to buy now, the time I wasted sorting out problems on a PC just wasn't funny

Using a mac now and wont be going back to PC
Quote:
How do you know what is in Apples product Philosophy? Where are you quoting this inaccurate data from.. The mac book pro is perfectly capable of running all your music apps plus etc, and with solutions like apollo and satellite external DSP it takes things to a whole new level, I am doing things on Macbook Pro that that was only possible on towers of a few years ago.

BTW if you this IOS is dead for music production think again, this platform will get far more power in the not too distant future
Lol...spotted!

Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower View Post
Wow. Where to start?

First of all, USB Type-C is a connector nothing else.
The EU mandate is about phone chargers specifically, nothing else. It won't set the standard for audio interfaces or anything else.

The fact that Apple releases a MacBook with only a Type-C connector on it says nothing about their commitment to Thunderbolt. The fact that they fairly recently released a Mac Pro with six TB ports say a whole lot more. There are very good chances that you're going to see TB 3 alongside with USB 3.1/Type-C on future pro level Macs.

TB 3 will have a connector similar to Type-C so it will be superior in pretty much every way. Yes, USB 3.1 will most likely become the household standard, but that doesn't mean that TB won't maintain its status as the pro standard. Just like Firewire did before TB replaced it.

Lastly, if you are suggesting that UA should have gone for USB 3.1/Type-C on these new Apollos. Why on earth would they do that when there's practically no support for it anywhere? That would be suicide.
TB is here now, and it rocks. Let them worry about USB 3.1 vs TB in the future when it potentially has some relevance.
I couldn't agree more with your statement, I think the original poster should sell his PC and treat himself to a new Mac Pro so he can have the advantages of TB "NOW"
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Lol...spotted!

Not really no, you just couldn't do what I am doing with Macbook Pro Laptop with a Laptop made fro Windows.

Do the research if it was possible on a $500 windows laptop believe me I would be doing it.

Thanks
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Macbook pro TB out to Octo UA Satelite TB out to Applo Duo interface, 2nd TB connection from Macbook Pro to 6TB Lacie TB2 7200 HDD with SSD option card, all working gorgeously smooth on professional productions with UAD plugs and unison.
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Please ionian if someone can show me how the above set up would work on a Windows Laptop I am all ears.
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not really no, you just couldn't do what I am doing with Macbook Pro Laptop with a Laptop made fro Windows.

Do the research if it was possible on a $500 windows laptop believe me I would be doing it.

Thanks
Oh, my sides.......

I'm sure the irony of all this escapes you but...my sides, nonetheless...
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Oh, my sides.......

I'm sure the irony of all this escapes you but...my sides, nonetheless...
Smart quips in the Audio Industry dont produce very good results, you'll learn.
Old 2nd June 2015
Here for the gear

I have a question about the Apollo 8p. It says simultaneous I/O is 18x24. Does that mean I have all 8 pre's going plus 8 channels of ADAT AND both the hi-z line inputs connected and tracking at the same time if need be?
The reason I ask is because on the Twin the hi-z overrides the mic pre channel 1 when connected. I am wondering if the 8p does the same thing...
Old 4th June 2015
Lives for gear

I have decided to get an Apollo 8 with an UAD Octo Satellite and try them out vs my Apogee Symphony in my studio

being a songwriter i think this brings me alot more benefit and workflow and expandability than the Apogee

however it will def be contingent on sound quality, stability etc

for me if it comes close or i cant tell a diff i will sell the symphony, patchbay and all that and go with this

i have a quartet and thorax out front, opals as my monitors and i just think the new Apollo's look really nice for what i need, plus offloading CPU will be nice on my Imac

my goal is simple build a new NEve coming in and mixing thru or API emulations and leave it all one type for recording thru and mixing. possibly have a nice eq and comp and verb as well. i dont need every plug in. which ones are the MKii? and how can you tell vs an old model? and are all new ones labeled MKii even if they werent done before? i am trying to learn the UAD ecosystem

so we will see
Old 7th June 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
I have decided to get an Apollo 8 with an UAD Octo Satellite and try them out vs my Apogee Symphony in my studio

being a songwriter i think this brings me alot more benefit and workflow and expandability than the Apogee

for me if it comes close or i cant tell a diff i will sell the symphony, patchbay and all that and go with this

i have a quartet and thorax out front, opals as my monitors and i just think the new Apollo's look really nice for what i need, plus offloading CPU will be nice on my Imac

my goal is simple build a new NEve coming in and mixing thru or API emulations and leave it all one type for recording thru and mixing. possibly have a nice eq and comp and verb as well. i dont need every plug in. which ones are the MKii? and how can you tell vs an old model? and are all new ones labeled MKii even if they werent done before? i am trying to learn the UAD ecosystem

so we will see
Looking forward to your comparison bro
Old 7th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post

so we will see
If your on Thunderbolt stability is rock solid, not sure how they fare on PC mind you.
I would be grateful also if you could let us know how the A/D compares with Apogee.

Unison is fabulous if you record lost of inputs at the same time i.e. Drums, vocals can sound sweet through the new 88RS, API unison is nothing short of stunning with say Slate VCC in USA mode. All the new ones are listed on the website and you get the legacy versions bundled with it. Most of the mark twos are unison compatible so look for that when buying.
Old 7th June 2015
Lives for gear

thanks

i will post my results here. being a songwriter who is finaly releasing songs and finishing them, i have discovered a workflow that has meant re thinking some of the ger in m studio. having limited time its all about workflow now fo me. i am hoping th apo;;o and satelite via thunderbolt on my 2014 imac will rely bring alot to the table for me

i also kwo the symphony sound inside and out in my studio so this will be very esy to tell teh diff but aso to see if when ou use the plugs to record thru you cant even surpass the sound quality and ten have less to do behind recording at mixig

we will see, the symphony sounds great and is rock solid so it has to strt there for me

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search