The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Musikmesse 2015: Softube Heartbeat Drum Synth
Old 15th April 2015
Musikmesse 2015: Softube Heartbeat Drum Synth

Heartbeat* (Was at work when I made this post) - can a mod fix a title? @ diogo_c

Classic drum synthesis is back with a vengeance! Heartbeat is an innovative software drum synth with a familiar, yet unique, sound character. A world class effects section is included, as well as the innovative Auto Layer Machine which will take your beats to unexpected places. Because Heartbeat is more than a machine—it's a living thing with a mind of its own.

FEATURESIMAGESSOUND EXAMPLES
Heartbeat Click to zoomClick to show Heartbeat
Heartbeat is likely to cause severe palpitations. It is the drum synth of your dreams, combining modeled analog synthesis of yesteryear with forward-thinking features and flexibility. The modeled analog sound engine, the Auto Layer Machine and the included top-of-the-line effects turns Heartbeat into a killer package for your beats.

The synthesis engine
While Heartbeat draws inspiration from the best analog drum synths from the 1980s, it does not emulate any existing drum machine. The sound mostly originates from Softube's own modeled analog synthesis, which has been augmented with carefully selected waveforms.

The core of Heartbeat consists of the eight instrument channels. You will find two different bass drum channels, which can be as punchy and deep as you want them, but are also perfectly capable of producing snappy and hard hitting woody textures. The two dedicated snare drum channels have six parameters each which allows you to achieve anything from edgy rimshots, soft and whispery snare rolls to machine-like claps.

The percussion channels are identical and can be used to model anything from 80s style synthetic toms to cowbells and noise drops. And just like the other channels, the hihat and cymbal channels offer flexible synthesis engines—tweak to your heart's desire!

The effects
In order to make Heartbeat your one stop shop for beat programming, we added a fully featured effects section. It includes slightly adapted versions of our beloved model of Valley People Dyna-mite and one of our top sellers of all time, the TSAR-1 Reverb. The Dyna-mite is a dynamic shaping Swiss army knife with a serious attitude. Limiting, compression, gating, sidechained ducking—Dyna-mite handles it all. And TSAR-1 is simply the most gorgeous plug-in reverb ever created.

The all new Filter Echo is a filtered delay effect with adjustable Cut Off and Resonance parameters. And finally, the output saturation can go from juicy to gritty and is not taken from any existing Softube product.

Each of the eight channels has a dedicated mixer channel with controls for volume, pan, ping-pong (auto panning), EQ (adapted specifically for each instrument) and send levels to the reverb and delay effects.

A mind of its own
Heartbeat is not only about sound, it's also about inspiration and interaction. This is where the innovative Auto Layer Machine comes in. The Auto Layer Machine has four channels that can each be used to layer sounds or let the output from any of the eight instruments trigger a chain of events. This can be used to create new sound textures or create automatic fill patterns in up to four steps.

If things still get too predictable, move the Chaos sliders to the right—these add an element of randomness for each trigger, ranging from subtle variations to massive trigger-riot mayhem!

Flexible global velocity parameter knobs for volume, pitch, attack and decay can make Heartbeat responsive to velocity changes. Time Gate shortens the overall decay to create a stuttery and stiff machine sound.

No iLok USB dongle required
A hardware USB iLok dongle is optional for the copy protection of Heartbeat. Heartbeat can also be used with iLok's new machine based license.

In short

Eight channels of drum sounds, mostly based on modeled analog synthesis
Mixer with volume, EQ, effect sends and panning for each channel
Four channel Auto Layer Machine for layering sounds or triggering beat patterns
Chaos slider adds randomness to the behavior of Auto Layer Machine
Adapted versions of TSAR-1 Reverb and Valley People Dyna-mite included, as well as Filter Echo and output saturation
No iLok USB dongle required.

Softube - Heartbeat
Attached Thumbnails
Musikmesse 2015: Softube Heartbeat Drum Synth-image_1369_0.jpg  

Last edited by joe_04_04; 16th April 2015 at 01:57 AM..
Old 15th April 2015
I'm excited and curious about this.. Wondering if it can do hip-hop drum design at all.
Old 15th April 2015
Gear Addict

Looks very interesting. In the meantime they also added EQ analyzer and new screen to Console 1.
Very hard working guys at Softube. :-)
Old 15th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicogrubert View Post
Looks very interesting. In the meantime they also added EQ analyzer and new screen to Console 1.
Very hard working guys at Softube. :-)
Things are looking good for Console One owners....

As for Heartbeat, it's got a TON of parameters, this thing should be able to crank out hundreds of cool sounds! Very excited. Hoping it has multiple outputs so users can route each channel to a different one in the DAW instead of just all on one stereo instrument channel. I prefer my instruments to be on separate channels.

Also, curious to know if the valley people and tsar built-in units come automatically or if you have to own them to use them in Heartbeat.

Anyway, very cool. Looks fun.
Old 16th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
Things are looking good for Console One owners....

As for Heartbeat, it's got a TON of parameters
What ? The exact opposite is true. The soundmodules themselves have not much to tweak and I can't see a single LFO either.

Not much knobs left if you substract the reverb, echo, dynamite, mixer and eqs (All of which I would replace with my own pluigins anyways).
Old 16th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
What ? The exact opposite is true. The soundmodules themselves have not much to tweak and I can't see a single LFO either.

Not much knobs left if you substract the reverb, echo, dynamite, mixer and eqs (All of which I would replace with my own pluigins anyways).
Ill be flat out honest with you, I'm not a synth guy. I don't make my own synth patches nor do I use them rarely... For drums, I use samples (either I've recorded or obtained elsewhere)... So this to me is a lot

Seeing as how it's a percussion synth, I'd assume it'd have less parameters than a musical synth (subtractive or additive), but maybe I'm way off base.

But I do agree on using my own plugs, I'm never found of using built in modules.. Even though these are based off of their other plugins with some tweaks.

Last edited by joe_04_04; 16th April 2015 at 03:40 AM..
Old 16th April 2015
As a far-from-expert drum machine programmer I'll second Joe's thoughts, but I can understand when someone asks for deeper/more thorough stuff.

What I'd really like is that echo as a standalone plugin. heh
Old 16th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
As a far-from-expert drum machine programmer I'll second Joe's thoughts, but I can understand when someone asks for deeper/more thorough stuff.

What I'd really like is that echo as a standalone plugin. heh
Thanks for fixing my typo Diogo, appreciate it.

And I agree, that delay looks kinda sweet. Very simple, reminds me of something Soundtoys would do with their "little" version.
Old 16th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
Thanks for fixing my typo Diogo, appreciate it.
Credits to Graham!
Old 16th April 2015
Lives for gear

Looks like a nice layout. Between Punch, MicroTonic and Tremor my soft drum synthesis is pretty well covered already so I don't think this one has anything new to offer me.
Old 16th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Credits to Graham!
Much appreciated @ Grahamdwc

On a side-note, I wonder why users can't edit our own titles. Just curious. I've made dumber mistakes in the past that this!
Old 16th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Whoaa, didn't see that comming. Nice.
Old 16th April 2015
Lives for gear
Softube is now getting into synths.
Old 26th June 2015
News Desk Editor

Quote:
Softube Heartbeat software drum synth (Available Now) - Gearslutz.com

Heartbeat is likely to cause severe palpitations. It is the drum synth of your dreams, combining modeled analog synthesis of yesteryear with forward-th
Available Now!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search