Softube and Empirical Labs form partnership, release four new products - Page 3 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube and Empirical Labs form partnership, release four new products
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Aziak's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantaman ➡️
Is it not possible to use VPN and pay via paypal?

I think it has to do with the billing and where the funds come from. I don't know if this workaround will work though, since the payment still has a U.K. origin...
Some bold lad should give it a try and inform us of the outcome.

I get this when i try to buy something.

Softube and Empirical Labs form partnership, release four new products-screenshot-2021-02-23-23.21.52.png

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Softube and Empirical Labs form partnership, release four new products-screenshot-2021-02-23-23.21.52.png  
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
filterfreak's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont ➡️
I think you and I both know the reason is $$, but you are right that there is a LOT of overlap here. I suppose if one is big into the Softube ecosystem then one would lean in this direction most among the available ELI choices.
I own almost everything of both componies. So what can I do with such a release?
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 
jsvalmont's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak ➡️
I own almost everything of both componies. So what can I do with such a release?
Obviously then you’d have to be a Gearslut and buy both.

... but don’t forget there are now 4 companies with official ELI plugins (UAD, Slate, Softube, and ELI themselves). Not to mention those with unofficial ones.

Last edited by jsvalmont; 6 days ago at 12:53 AM.. Reason: Almost forgot Slate
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Aziak's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak ➡️
I own almost everything of both componies. So what can I do with such a release?
Softube and Empirical Labs form partnership, release four new products-giphy-downsized.gif




Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Softube and Empirical Labs form partnership, release four new products-giphy-downsized.gif  
Old 6 days ago
  #65
Gear Head
 
itsallfeelings's Avatar
Bought the PAK. It's THAT good, not fussin' about anything technical here, it's A SOUND. I reeaally really enjoy the sonics. Even Though I've got them other two- Arouser and BigFreq, these feel different, reminds me of good Glass on my camera. it's easy to get things sharp in focus, and make it separate from the rest in a pleasing way...I know its software but I get the feeling of good sounding and useful sonic Tools. I really suggest to give them a try...Cheers!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #66
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans ➡️
You’re almost making me want to re-buy a Console 1 - sold mine a couple of years ago!
Lol make sure to demo. I like "clean" while some people like more color than this may provide. Big and clean sounding with a softening rather smoothing effect when pushed. It can make vocals recorded with a harshness to it, more tolerable.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten Hjort ➡️
Use "ANALOGHEAVEN" in the checkout and it will deduct 30%
Where?

Thanks in advance
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 
easyrider's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber ➡️
Where?

Thanks in advance
It deducts 30% from the full price not the intro price so works out 25 bucks cheaper.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #69
Lives for gear
 
filterfreak's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont ➡️
Obviously then you’d have to be a Gearslut and buy both.

... but don’t forget now there are 3 companies with official ELI plugins. Not to mention those with unofficial ones.
Swriously?
Old 6 days ago
  #70
Lives for gear
 
filterfreak's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I am out of here right now
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #71
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Interesting. Sold my Eli stuff as I wanted to cut down and use stuff from less brands (less folders to navigate etc)
I personally love the Slate distressed ands think it is the best plugin version of that type of comp...BUT I will def give this a go. The console 1 eco system is looking very attractive right now.

I will ask though, to the C1 users, how well do these map to the controllers? like, I get that the SSL, Neve console map well...but when it gets to things like the Weiss...you have to forego certain controls and basically have a stripped down version....not so keen on that idea.

Is a new controller in order? Is there a better way to control a range of plugins that is now beyond the scope of simple 4 band eq and comp?
Just wondering.

Can't wait to try this thing out. I have an Aston stealth that I have absolutely fallen in love with for vocals. I cannot wait to try this combo.
Old 6 days ago
  #72
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Yeah, wow this Mike-E sounds really great on acoustic guitar.

Never got into the sound of the Arousor. This is another story.

Kinda makes me curious about the UAD Distressor.

Agh, will probably pick this up. Damn.
Old 6 days ago
  #73
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
is the resize going to be on the menu for other stuff ? as well as extrenal compoenent from C1 (SSL 9009 , Neve , SSL 4000 ect )
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #74
Lives for gear
 
djrustycans's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu Fontaine ➡️
Lol make sure to demo. I like "clean" while some people like more color than this may provide. Big and clean sounding with a softening rather smoothing effect when pushed. It can make vocals recorded with a harshness to it, more tolerable.
Hey! I like it (Mike E) I gave it a whirl on drums and vocals. I don’t want to spoil anyone’s party but for me - I think I prefer the UAD Distressor. I think UAD are second to none for compression - Softube comps sound slightly ‘shrunken’ to me in comparison but I can see situations where the Mike E could be better than the Distressor such as the slower attack times. I don’t mind clean at all but for my purposes, the UA seems easier on the ear - even down to the HPF.

After limited time, I like the sound of Lil FrEQ over Big FrEQ. I’ve been thinking about selling my license for this anyway as I generally use MAAT Blue for surgical stuffs.

Nice work by Softube. I probably should spend more time with these before making proper judgements!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #75
Lives for gear
 
kj.metissage's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak ➡️
I don ˋt understand how Empirical Labs with a software Arouror and a BigfrEQ ask Softube to do Mike-E and Lil-FrEQ?
I think it's the other way around. Softube came to Dave.

Anyway, stellar release!!!
Old 6 days ago
  #76
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
EL is a manic mess with partnerships... lol
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #77
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziak ➡️
I think it has to do with the billing and where the funds come from. I don't know if this workaround will work though, since the payment still has a U.K. origin...
Some bold lad should give it a try and inform us of the outcome.

I get this when i try to buy something.



Cheers!
I can never purchase directly from the US... whether I use PayPal or my credit card...
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #78
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazealigned ➡️
Yeah, wow this Mike-E sounds really great on acoustic guitar.

Never got into the sound of the Arousor. This is another story.

Kinda makes me curious about the UAD Distressor.

Agh, will probably pick this up. Damn.
The UAD distressor is great... so is the slate version...
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #79
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I think this recent move from Dave Derr shows us a lot
about the current change in the pro audio plugin game.

1. Former uad developers like softube and brainworx
no longer work for them and release their own stuff.
uad contracts are running out and stuff gets released
for the native market. Ex slate developers pulsar Audio
releasing their own stuff is another sign into this direction.

2. Analog guys like Dave Derr who have invested lots
of money into plugin development realize how tough
it is selling, updating and supporting plugins
and colaborate with the big guys - like softube for future products.
I wish G. Massenburg would follow with his MDW stuff
instead of fiddling around by himself forever...

3. Hardware companies like uad will change their focus
from single plugin development to refining their own Luna DAW -
trying to force their customers even deeper into their hardware infrastructure.

4. All that is great for us native users
We can choose whatever computer, DAW, interface, native plugin brand
and have a broader and better range of flavours than ever !

Last edited by Shaman; 6 days ago at 02:15 AM..
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #80
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
Ex Slate developers Pulsar Audio
They did Slate plugins? Which ones?
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #81
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
1176 blue stripe
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #82
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
interesting, didnt know pulsar is from there
Old 6 days ago
  #83
Gear Nut
 
Very cool...I'm wondering if I should buy it.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #84
Gear Nut
 
Caet's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans ➡️
Hey! I like it (Mike E) I gave it a whirl on drums and vocals. I don’t want to spoil anyone’s party but for me - I think I prefer the UAD Distressor. I think UAD are second to none for compression - Softube comps sound slightly ‘shrunken’ to me in comparison but I can see situations where the Mike E could be better than the Distressor such as the slower attack times. I don’t mind clean at all but for my purposes, the UA seems easier on the ear - even down to the HPF.

After limited time, I like the sound of Lil FrEQ over Big FrEQ. I’ve been thinking about selling my license for this anyway as I generally use MAAT Blue for surgical stuffs.

Nice work by Softube. I probably should spend more time with these before making proper judgements!
I don't think it's really the point to compare Mike-E with a Distressor.

I have a couple of real Distressors and I feel the Mike E as a whole serves for a different purpose. I also tend to use Mike-E in a different way that I would use the Distressors.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #85
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I love Softube and own some of their most prized plugins and I like this one but if it ain't beating the Arouser, then it ain't making it in my plugin folder for 2021.

This one is more closer to the Slate Distressor to me for the comp/preamp plugin. Not really interested in the EQ one.

After looking at the comments, I thought WOW, some people are saying they didn't get along with the Arouser, and some said the Arouser doesn't sound as good as the hardware, I'm like huh?
Arouser is a straight out beast. So now I'm going how did they come to this fact?
So I started looking at the Arouser a little more detailed to see why.
What is the differences in this plugin to the Arouser?

1. Softube is great at incremental movements in their plugins and this one is no acception. Looks like they upgraded the ease of use when incrementally moving the knobs which is so key! Arouser is very loose. So I will give it that.

2. You can resize every plugin now which finally is a much needed add-on. It's also very fluent. Nice job. Arouser does lack on that.

3. I never use Presets on a compressor or EQ but I can see others liking this functionality and Arouser doesn't have an onboard preset function.

4. The Mike-E plugin does look really good and closer to the Distressor and/or Mike E hardware.

5. The LEDS look real and are slower and more real to the eyes and seem to acts more analog'ish I guess.

6. This has an invert Phase button, I do love that. How many times do we run into that and really need it for parallel processing.

7. 100 on the attack, OK. I'll say it's different.


Other than that, Arouser already had the bump in the lowend that makes the Arouser plugin knock.
The Arouser seems to me, have way more punch than this one.
The sidechain detector is better on the Arouser.
The saturation on the Arouser really brings the sound a lot more closer than this plugin.
The Arouser was made to be better than the Distressor and it is.
The Attack Mod is brilliant, just brilliant.

So once I knew it didn't compare to the Arouser I then A/B'ed to the Slate Distressor and I saw why it was liked. Now it makes more sense. This plugin sounds more fuller with more lowend etc.

I would rate them: 1# Arouser, #2 Softube Mike E and then Slate's FG-Stress.

Now mind you, the Mike-E isn't a Distressor but has Distressor compression sound qualities.

Anyway, it is a great plugin if you don't own the Arouser for sure!

JusMyTake, Marc
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #86
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
I can never purchase directly from the US... whether I use PayPal or my credit card...
When I purchased the Chandler Limited Zener, I couldn't use my Paypal and had to put it on my credit card. Which I had to figure out. I love to use my Paypal for tax reasons as it's so much easier to lockdown my write offs, so I never use the card.
Since having to purchase the Curve Bender & Germanium too through my card, which I was pissed about as I'm like "Come on Softube, it's Paypal man" I almost didn't get them.
I didn't know why and I'm guessing they are in the UK so that's the reason. If so I'll wait til that is sorted out and then purchase other stuff. I hate using my card for this stuff cause I always forget about those purchases when tax time comes.

Anyway, Softube really has to get their Paypal situation on point. I passed on a few plugins because I couldn't purchase them through their site or through the Plugin Boutique website so I ended up purchasing other plugins. (They got me)

I know one thing, I'm so glad they lost that other company that they were going through for installing plugins. That was a nightmare at least for me. Love the new installer though it's slow but much better.

JusMyTake, Marc
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #87
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E ➡️
When I purchased the Chandler Limited Zener, I couldn't use my Paypal and had to put it on my credit card. Which I had to figure out. I love to use my Paypal for tax reasons as it's so much easier to lockdown my write offs, so I never use the card.
Since having to purchase the Curve Bender & Germanium too through my card, which I was pissed about as I'm like "Come on Softube, it's Paypal man" I almost didn't get them.
I didn't know why and I'm guessing they are in the UK so that's the reason. If so I'll wait til that is sorted out and then purchase other stuff. I hate using my card for this stuff cause I always forget about those purchases when tax time comes.

Anyway, Softube really has to get their Paypal situation on point. I passed on a few plugins because I couldn't purchase them through their site or through the Plugin Boutique website so I ended up purchasing other plugins. (They got me)

I know one thing, I'm so glad they lost that other company that they were going through for installing plugins. That was a nightmare at least for me. Love the new installer though it's slow but much better.

JusMyTake, Marc
I couldn’t even do it with my credit card... I was trying to buy the Weiss at the time... it was on a decent sale around Xmas... I couldn’t get close to the same price buying it anywhere else. Their CS couldn’t fix it either or make it right or offer any explanation... so, they just didn’t get my $$

It was the strangest interaction lol
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #88
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
I think this recent move from Dave Derr shows us a lot
about the current change in the pro audio plugin game.

1. Former uad developers like softube and brainworx
no longer work for them and release their own stuff.
uad contracts are running out and stuff gets released
for the native market. Ex slate developers pulsar Audio
releasing their own stuff is another sign into this direction.

2. Analog guys like Dave Derr who have invested lots
of money into plugin development realize how tough
it is selling, updating and supporting plugins
and colaborate with the big guys - like softube for future products.
I wish G. Massenburg would follow with his MDW stuff
instead of fiddling around by himself forever...

3. Hardware companies like uad will change their focus
from single plugin development to refining their own Luna DAW -
trying to force their customers even deeper into their hardware infrastructure.

4. All that is great for us native users
We can choose whatever computer, DAW, interface, native plugin brand
and have a broader and better range of flavours than ever !
Almost nothing you’ve mentioned here is remotely new stuff... and most programmers pop in and out of established devs and do their own things, too

Dave has always been manic about partnering with numerous sw devs concurrently and then went out and started his own “in house” plugins that were inspired by, but, not 1:1 emus of his outboard... which, he’d already licensed to sw devs

I don’t really know why a hw dev would jump into doing plugins in-house anyway unless it was going to be an all-in, multi product thing... better to license the name and IP and work closely with devs that already do this work 24/7 and crack the whip until it’s just right
Old 6 days ago
  #89
Gear Maniac
 
I wish Softube had given oversampling options. On frequencies at and above 5 kHz, on any compression more than 4-5 dB starts aliasing. Same goes for preamp section's saturation.. Still they have managed to control it way better than arouser.

In aliasing dept, Slate's FG-Stress handles things best with oversampling enabled.

The EQ is clean through. No harmonics generated, so no aliasing.

In digital world, no matter how much realistic the GUI looks, handling saturation without aliasing artefacts is almost impossible. OS helps to reduce that.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #90
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
NOW... I am curious about the Arousor Rev 3... Hmmm?

Will this intro offer last until we get the Arousor Rev 3?

Anybody knows for how long the intro offer last? With the "ANALOGHEAVEN" code?

Thanks in advance
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump