Softube and Empirical Labs form partnership, release four new products - Page 2 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube and Empirical Labs form partnership, release four new products
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You're forgetting Mike-E for Amp Room. That's the 4th one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction ➡️
Seems a little disingenuous to repeatedly say you have four new products together, when one of the four is just a combination of the three.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So we can deduct that Softube developed the Distressor for UAD and now they ported to native with different features?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali ➡️
So we can deduct that Softube developed the Distressor for UAD and now they ported to native with different features?
No. It has no correlation with Distressor on UAD platform.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

So how are Lil’ Freq and Mike-E comparing to Big Freq and Arouser, I have both the latter, so it’s a hard sell for me to justify $315..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex ➡️
Really? It looks the same.
From what I see and heard there are some "similarities".
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex ➡️
You are actually right, there's a Mike-E hardware which this plugin is modeled after.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the bundle. At the moment there are 5 extra unused iLok licences that come with the bundle which I am guessing are future products that will be added to it.

The Weiss bundle was expensive when it came out but they kept adding more and more plugins to the bundle for free.

Whether they will add other ELI stuff to this bundle I don't know but I really hope so once the contract with UAD expires (like it did with the Chandler stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmo ➡️
So how are Lil’ Freq and Mike-E comparing to Big Freq and Arouser, I have both the latter, so it’s a hard sell for me to justify $315..
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziak ➡️
Oh yes! ALL of them have resizable GUIs. Just updated using Softube Central.

Cheers!
That is nice. How ever it would be much better if the fixed so their VST3 plugins followed the programmers manual how knobs should work. So they do not work properly in Cubase.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Mike-E might be my favorite preamp ever. definitely my favorite DI for bass ever. the preamp itself was one of those really special big and clean type guys. super super low noise with stepped gain. instantly brought out the best that any mic has to offer, and then the Comp Sat section made things even BETTER. i swear SM7B into a Mike-E is about as good as it gets for a workhorse chain. Mike-E also made my NT1 sound like a 47 into a 1073 on multiple occasions, but with a basically non existent noise floor. vocal processing did not take much back when i had one.

really really regret selling it. might have to check out the new Mike-E comp to see if it does that magic thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic ➡️
Mike-E also made my NT1 sound like a 47 into a 1073 on multiple occasions, but with a basically non existent noise floor
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

How is CPU usage on the Lil Freq? I still have pretty high CPU hit using BigFreq despite the updates.

I love BigFreq sound-wise but it's hard putting it in a session with 200+ tracks, my cpu don't like!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
definitely demoing these
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
good stuff!
Softube

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate ➡️
@ Softube

Hi Andreas, this new expansion looks rather nice but... without proper logic (ie synchronized tracks selection, faders & sends) it’s a really though sell!

So here is the question.. Is there any chance that you will ever fully support Logic Pro X?
Hi solidstate, We know how important this feature is for Logic users, partly because of all requests for this feature, and partly because we want this for our own music production projects as well! All we can say at this point is that we’re exploring all possible options to make this happen. When, we cannot say right now, but we're very positive that it will happen.

Best,

//Andreas
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
“Continue [Softube]’s fifteen-year partnership with ELI” That’s news to me. What came out of the prior/existing partnership for the last 15 years?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont ➡️
“Continue [Softube]’s fifteen-year partnership with ELI” That’s news to me. What came out of the prior/existing partnership for the last 15 years?
Exactly my thoughts
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont ➡️

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonDonsen ➡️
Exactly my thoughts
UAD Fatso was released in 2009, so basically 12 years ago. You'd have to think it was in development for a year or more before that. It's always been said the plugin was a Universal Audio release, but I think if we're reading between the lines here it very well could have been outsourced to Softube for development. UA probably contracts with a number of outside developers is my guess to have releases in their pipeline.

I have no real info about it (none of us do), but at least to me it's starting to make sense and is a way to subtly say so without either party outright breaking any contracts or NDA's.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used to own 4 distressors and used them diligently for 10 years. They where my dessert island compressors and I know them extremely well. I recently purchased the Arousor and Big Freq combo because I am currently without UAD (in the process of building a new studio computer and I am currently working with a laptop) and while the Slate is good its not as good as the UAD one so I figured that having more feature rich versions of Empiricall Labs stuff would come in handy (and it has). All that aside I wish this had come out sooner.

I just did a test with the 2 Softube units and did a direct comparison to Arousor and Big Freq. With the Softube units I had a punchy deep sound in minutes (literally took me 10 minutes to have the drums exactly where I wanted them) And then started to try and match what I had done with Big Freq and Arousor. After 2 hours of trying to match the sound I got close but no cigar.

I very rarely buy Softube because they are expensive and usually have other options that can cover the same bases. Recently there have been exceptions to this (The Weiss bundle and Germanium compressor being said exceptions). I also have this tendency to stop using anything that slows me down so there is a lot in my plugins folder that has simply stopped being used.

I chose this track because it has a lot of bleed issues that you cannot fix via simple gating or editing (too much hi hat in the snare track, no bottom mic and lots of ghost notes). In the EQ department the de-esser that comes in little freq allowed me to surgically lower the hi hat in the snare track without sacrificing the ghost notes in a way that would have required a larger chain of processors to achieve.

In the compression side of things this got me all the stuff I love about distressors in very short order. And yes I know this isn't a distressor but it got me everything I like (at least in this application) in minutes. so I will be selling my Arousor/Big Freq combo because this gets me there waaay more quickly.

I am aware that this is all purely subjective but for me, this is the way to go so, If anyone is interested please pm me
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Lil FrEQ equalizer plugin uses state-of-the-art physical modeling to recreate the hardware in plug-in form. The input stages, output transformers, EQ bands, compressing circuits, OP-amps, etc. have been modeled in detail, component by component. It’s not marketing talk, it’s how you need to do it if you want to be absolutely, scientifically sure that the software behaves the same way as the hardware. That’s the only way to get the brilliance of Dave Derr’s designs into your computer.
nice
Here for the gear

Is it not possible to use VPN and pay via paypal?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by msflsim ➡️
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the bundle. At the moment there are 5 extra unused iLok licences that come with the bundle which I am guessing are future products that will be added to it.

Let the guessing game begin
EDIT: The compressor plugin in a beast wow, what great ballsy full sound
Attached Thumbnails
Softube and Empirical Labs form partnership, release four new products-screenshot-2021-02-23-20.19.38.png  
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Tested the compressor today. I used Arousor for a while but this sounds a lot better. Very fast to tune. Lovely sound on drums. Doesn't sound analog or digital to me, just good. Warm and a little bit wild. Seems like Softube has another win with this one.

Not sure about the EQ yet. It's nice but I'm not sure what is it supposed to sound good on?
Gear Maniac

I played with the compressor a lot today. This thing is a beast on vocals and serviceable on the mixbus although not necessarily my choice on the latter. I have the UAD Distressor but this thing smokes as well. I'd argue it has more of that "Distressor" tone over the UAD Distressor. The control is amazing. As someone else wrote it feels and sounds very close to the HW. Top of the pile for compression.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu Fontaine ➡️
I played with the compressor a lot today. This thing is a beast on vocals and serviceable on the mixbus although not necessarily my choice on the latter. I have the UAD Distressor but this thing smokes as well. I'd argue it has more of that "Distressor" tone over the UAD Distressor. The control is amazing. As someone else wrote it feels and sounds very close to the HW. Top of the pile for compression.
You’re almost making me want to re-buy a Console 1 - sold mine a couple of years ago!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Will this stay a Console 1 exclusive? Softube?

Edit: Just seen this is not only for Console 1!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
This post makes me so happy
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don ˋt understand how Empirical Labs with a software Arouror and a BigfrEQ ask Softube to do Mike-E and Lil-FrEQ?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak ➡️
I donˋt understand how Empirical Labs with a software Arouror and a BigfrEQ ask Softube to do Mike-E and Lil-FrEQ?
I think you and I both know the reason is $$, but you are right that there is a LOT of overlap here. I suppose if one is big into the Softube ecosystem then one would lean in this direction most among the available ELI choices.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is just plain awesome. Console 1 is the ecosystem that keeps on giving. Putting the new strip on the drum buss is 10 seconds away from a huge sonic improvement. Great job as always, guys!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…