Universal Audio Announces UAFX Pedals - Page 3 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Announces UAFX Pedals
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

<mod snip - grow up please, no name calling>. Ya know, companies don’t have to only make products tailored specifically to YOUR individual needs Mr ITB bedroom producer... lol!

UA is deep invested into the Gtr market with OX and this is a smart move for their to leverage some existing tech; however, there’s also quite a lot of (mostly) new tech here... it’s not just a bunch of existing UAD plugins burned into stomp boxes.

But Jesus!

Also? This is the going price point more or less for this type of box... Strymon, Source Audio, et

It’d be cool to use these as studio Fx through a reamp rig... some pedals (like Source Audio and TC... dunno strymon fx) will already handily take line level trs... can’t find any documentation on whether the UAFX units will.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"60 years of analog tone at your feet"? These are digital pedals
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
wow...all those negative comments...and not a single one talking about the sound ???
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

85 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle69 ➡️
wow...all those negative comments...and not a single one talking about the sound ???
Are there audio examples? I didn't see/hear any.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
That's exactly the problem...people are judging it and dismissing it because it's "digital" without even a knowledge of the actual sound
Lives for gear

85 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's exactly the problem...people are judging it and dismissing it because it's "digital" without even a knowledge of the actual sound
How can we discuss sound if no examples exist? FYI I did post about 'the sound' saying that if I were to spend the money I'd rather invest in heritage-based technology like API and Moog did with their pedals.
ITB guitar FX are very good now and easy to IO; also there some premium multi-fx pedals for not much more than UA. My 2c.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Boss, Strymon, Eventide, Line6, Neural DSP, Earth Quaker Devices, Keely, Chase Bliss, Empress, JHS. Feels to me like UA are jumping on the band wagon and recycling old algos at a very high price.

For the price of one of these pedal you can buy a Strymon Timeline, Big Sky. Or you can buy a Boss 500 series (Which are excellent) and have change left over! Why would you waste your money on this dross!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
To have UAD quality in pedals could be a good thing, but these are overpriced and as stated above, all these extra Conversions... A multi fx board with uad effects, that would have been something new... the uad version of an h9, only with an fx chain instead of only one algorithm. These here are just cashing the cow.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The contrast between the comments in this thread and those on social media couldn’t be stronger. It appears that amongst the general populace there is plenty of positive reaction and interest in the products. This forum is a tiny little bubble where grown men hold grudges against companies like UAD, Apple, PACE, etc... and whine like it means something.

There’s a big and growing market for expensive guitar pedals. There are way more guitar players than there are audio engineers by a massive order of magnitude. I bet some people in this thread have spent many a $399+ on things many others would consider crazy.

And if you truly want to influence a company you’ve either got to buy stocks, work for them or build a relationship with them. But this massive pile-up is quite frankly sad and embarrassing.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I watched their video; not impressed with the audio. Perhaps I should watch it again, but...

Digital sold as analog is still not analog. Not saying it sounds bad as it is but it doesn't really sound close to what they claim is analog; not to my ears, anyways. But, maybe it's just my ears or perhaps everyone else is more accustomed to all the emulations than I am. Personally, I would rather have seen UA continue the route of re-creating classic studio analog gear with analog emulations like the Solo 610, LA610 or even the Twin-finity, etc. I think it would have been more exciting to see them put some of the classic Bill Putnam ideas into Series 500 gear or creating some stand-alone desktop devices like mic pre`s/EQ`s, spring reverbs or mini analog mixers done for an affordable value but using an all tube design.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FTR, love UAD stuff. They could've done better, especially for pre-existing users. If you could load 3 of you plugins on the pedal, they would be a must buy.

Like I said, I hate to pile on, and UAD gets way too much hate, but feedback is important for the company.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Presumably we will get these algorithms on the UAD platform at some stage?

I hope they sound good, people buy them and the pedal line turns a tidy profit for UA.

But as someone who is invested in the Apollo/UAD line, I am concerned that pedals and Luna etc, are taking time and resources away from developing their core business, which is Apollo/UAD.

I hope UA don't treat Apollo/UAD like a 'cash cow' to fund these smaller product lines but continue to invest in UAD so we can see a 'UAD3' platform sooner rather than latter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinney333 ➡️
Luna was a big enough announcement to drum up some marketing suspense around....this was not. I do not like the whole suspense “huge revolutionary announcement in two weeks!”-type of marketing for this. This should be one of those “out of the blue” surprises that doesn’t need the whole suspense build up. Then people will just be like “oh wow wasn’t expecting anything” rather than “thud!...all the suspense, and I was expecting something a bit more impactful or actually widely requested by users.” Which has a net effect = crying wolf...and generally just builds distrust. UA needs to be a little more cautious on distinction between these two types of marketing approaches. This one doesn’t meet the bar for a multi week suspense announcement.
Speaking as an ex pro in branding/marketing, this post is absolutely bang on the money. A new (free) DAW and DSP based (expensive) pedals need strategies that match expected industry reaction.

Hype vs surprise is never talked about enough. If in doubt, always go for surprise, as there are zero expectations to be met; it's always an addition, never a subtraction (as we see here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra ➡️
I think the exact opposite is true and it's the reason why UA is heading full force into a niche market. The kids don't want the perfect Fairchild or Bluestripe emulation cause they didn't grow up listening to the records that used them. The kids are not engineers, especially old school ones who were raised on analog consoles. Luna is not applicable to them in any shape or form and these kids represent 99% of the plugin industry. I like UA but there is no question that in a few years they will be a shadow of their former self.
Also spot on.

Edit: as for the actual release, I'm not a guitar player (hopefully one day!) so I can't comment on that. If I was to invest in DSP pedals (or any emulation) I would want multiple emulations per box however (a chain), as that's the biggest selling point of DSP; operational flexibility. When you limit the DSP to one function per box, what's the benefit over a HW unit?

Either way I wish them luck. I use and love their plugins!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
They sound very "expensive"...
Lives for gear

I get it. Looks like UA have been paying attention (guitars during the covid era have sold like crazy)

However, to someone like me who has already invested into the platform, their DSP and their algorithm's its looking like

• 2 SHARC DSP box containing (choose one from three flavours)

Flavour A
1) EP-34
2) Korg
3) Precision Dealy Mod

Flavour B
1) Tube spring reverb Collection
2) 140 Plate
3) Lexicon 224

Flavour C
1) Roland C-1 chorus
2) MXR Flanger/Doubler
3) ? (some tremolo from their Unison guitar amp sims?)

I own 2/3 of all of those plugins already.. No discount? Can I get the new algos for free if I already own the UAD plugin equivalent?

As it is now, the BOSS **-500 series offer much more for the same price. They sound just as good as UAD algos to my ears, have DIN MIDI and more algos, and very good return post processing EQ.

If this kind of pedal had been a true UAD DUO dsp block which could run everything like the rest of their DSP's, and I could add it to my existing UAD system, I'd already have preordered one. How about making one like that instead, hmm?

PS: Please make the tube spring reverb collection available as an UAD plugin!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000 ➡️
They sound very "expensive"...
LOL...certainly the whole tread does as well

Last edited by Eagle69; 4 weeks ago at 01:11 PM..
Gear Addict
Quote:
You're right! They sound really average, nothing special.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markisha ➡️
You're right! They sound really average, nothing special.
Not great to hear, but thank you. This is the first informative piece of comment of the whole thread
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
Chandler/API pedals are a bit different (rack gear placed on the floor), but are they even selling? I never hear anyone talk about them. These are more traditional.
Yeah, agreed. Still they are mainly aimed at guitarplayers and built for them. Not that these could not have their place in the studio.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej ➡️
Another year no UAD3 ... I know I bag on people for bashing Waves etc... but come on, I feel like there's been a reasonable expectation for UAD3 or some kind of real upgrade to the UAD processing options (other than Octo) to be released for at least the last 5 years.

They just keep doubling down into UAD2 ... three generations of interface, still UAD2 ... hell, Apple has gone through the PowerPC to Intel transition and now the Intel to Apple Silicon transition is starting and kicking ass, ALL since UAD2 was released in 2007/2008.

/rant.
I think when they do it, they're going to have to simultaneously introduce an exclusive mk3 Generation of plugin updates. The smart thing would to make those updates free to owners of mk2 licenses.

The UAD Compressors are still the better of the ITB offerings but still beneath hardware. Improving those would be the whole point of a new hardware generation. The UAD-2 Reverbs and Delays are the one UAD plugin Type that is already perfect in its current form. Also mk2 EQ plugins like the 1073 and Helios are already done very well.

To minimize latency, I would advise the plugin chainer requested all the way back in 2003/2004.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
What's the upgrade path when you get a new amp in 6 years?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the pedals sound very good - on par with others in the price range and the sounds are very well chosen. The price is somewhat aggressive, but in line with other premium pedals by Strymon and Eventide.

I think it's a missed opportunity in having failed to have any real innovation - they have less functionality such as loading algos, or having access to the algos as plugins in the UA ecosystem, which is kind of a no-brainer. Eventide is already way ahead here and this a brand new product.

That being said, I think many are missing the real major development here - UA is finally really diving into the guitar market and that, for us guitar players, is fantastic. Who knows what else they will be working on.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate ➡️
The contrast between the comments in this thread and those on social media couldn’t be stronger. It appears that amongst the general populace there is plenty of positive reaction and interest in the products. This forum is a tiny little bubble where grown men hold grudges against companies like UAD, Apple, PACE, etc... and whine like it means something.

There’s a big and growing market for expensive guitar pedals. There are way more guitar players than there are audio engineers by a massive order of magnitude. I bet some people in this thread have spent many a $399+ on things many others would consider crazy.

And if you truly want to influence a company you’ve either got to buy stocks, work for them or build a relationship with them. But this massive pile-up is quite frankly sad and embarrassing.
the general consensus here is that they are overpriced for what they offer in terms of flexibility compared to other offerings in the price point. these types of critical discussions help position other engineers to make informed purchasing decisions. is that not what the entire backbone of this forum is?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hm... I come to think if the price was lower people would be all over these pedals. I mean the UA emulations are top notch or at least up there with the best, aren´t they? The Fender spring emulation sounds great, listen to the "drip"...

Personally I´d be interested in a new modern 224 in a pedal or desktop remote format and it seems UA are the only ones who delivered so far. I listened to the CXM, Meris, etc. but IMHO none of those capture the magic/mojo whatever that resides in those old big mainframes. UA claimed to have reengineered the 224 algos, so the Golden pedal should be near sound-wise. To me it sounds a bit more polished and with a modern sheen than my old 224 and there´s a bit more prominent "delay repetition" or "movement" in the tails of the pedal (or only the algo tailored for the pedal - who knows) but overall it seems to have a comparable space, depth and beauty. So if I wouldn´t have a 224 already that pedal would be the only hardware option right now. Even better would be a bigger iteration like the 224 remote format as a 1:1 hardware recreation - one can dream. UA are you listening? 800$ for a 1:1 Lexi RHC unit with 224 algos and balanced Ins/Outs should be ok...

To me all three pedals are interesting because they´re hardware - I´d never buy into the UA Apollo/UAD2 product catalogue though, software needing dedicated hardware to run besides a pc/laptop seems outdated in this day and age.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Just as I predicted: the usual UA overhype
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb ➡️
Who knows what else they will be working on.
I hope after this faux pas they are not working on anything related to guitar HW.
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

GREED
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Be sure to check out the demos here:
https://vintageking.com/blog/2021/01...ffects-pedals/
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What would have made these more interesting, I think, is if as part of the I/O the pedals could take instrument or line level. ie. sell these as external effects for studio in a guitar pedal form.

Of course there's ways to still use them as such, but it would have at least added some value to the price tag, and increase interest to their base of studio engineers as well as guitarists.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…