Universal Audio Announces UAFX Pedals - Page 2 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Announces UAFX Pedals
Old 27th January 2021
Lives for gear

Like an H9 Bob?
Nah ... still not interested...
Lack of Luna for Windows a year down the line, and this sort of stuff instead ... makes me wonder whether I ought to get out of the UAD Apollo X TB3 environment I bought into while it has some value ... not sure they have a future outside Apple anymore...
Old 27th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What really bothers me with these is that all three are probably the EXACT same pedal on the inside, they just changed the paint job. It's a really low move on their part, I "might" have spent the $400 if it were a "universal" UA pedal that had room to store 3 different effects of your choosing. You should have paid like $300 for the stock pedal, and a voucher that lets you pick 3 effects for free (just like their plugins). You can mix and match if you want 2 delays and a reverb for instance, any extra ones cost like $50 and you can load/unload which ones you need at the time. THAT would have been the typical UA model I could have possibly gotten on board with.

I think this is the moment for me. I'm going to start phasing out of my UA equipment as soon as something like the Carbon interface takes off and companies start porting everything over for AAX DSP. UA is just going to continue to nickel and dime us away. Forget being innovative and making the Console app more accessible and useful, they're going to roll out Luna instead and start building a second plugin infrastructure that can only be used inside their program. Do you know how long I've been waiting for some simple features like being able to send multiple channels from the Console app out of a single pair of inputs? It's hard enough to integrate an Apollo with a real analog console, it's even more of an organizational mess when I can't sum 8 tracks of drums in the Apollo Console out to a single stereo pair of inputs on my API console to stay organized better while tracking and splitting headphone cues between the UA Console and an API console. That's just one stupid thing a lot of us have been waiting for. I know it's physically possible as you can send all the outputs to the "monitor" output path. Again, it's a lot of things that just seem purposefully limiting.

I get it. I watch all the UA media rollouts and videos, they're catering to the kids making beats in their bedroom. I've been that guy, the Apollo was amazing when it first came out and I jumped on it immediately. I've grown a lot since that first Apollo, and unfortunately I feel like UA's sending guys like me subtle little signals that they aren't interested in growing that way anymore. I'm still patiently waiting for a few basic features, meanwhile UA's like "We're making guitar pedals now, I hope you collect all three because they're totally different!". I'm not asking for much here, I just want them to stop making their technology purposefully limiting and give me features like sending a few channels out of the same output...

This is starting to get old and I'm getting tired of waiting. As far as the guitar pedals go: Good idea, very poor and greedy execution UA.

Last edited by andersmv; 27th January 2021 at 11:53 PM..
Old 28th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog ➡️
If they sold a universal one where you could choose say 4 effects to install then I would definitely think about it.
Exactly, the separation ruins it. Why would I spend 400 for a reverb and 400 for a delay when I could just buy a Keeley Caverns that has BOTH in one small space for $179? Or a Flint and a El Capistan for $200 less than the UAD offering? Or all 8 JHS Three pedals for $100 less?

Right now I run a Keeley Aria > Keeley Caverns V1 which gives me analog compression and drive and reverb and delay all for less than just one of these.

A UAD brand H9 would have been the way to go.

Also, do these have analog dry signal paths?
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Like, there are not enough guitar pedal makers out there and UA had the brilliant idea to chime in.

So, the product essentially is, a pair of old outdated Shark chips and a AD/DA, wrapped in a metal chassis, with 6 knobs and some switches.....for $399?

I doubt if that product will survive in the "wild west" of stomp boxes. Hard field to put your feet on IMO. Good luck with that UA!

How about porting your plugin catalog in native format, now that you'll have the chance to do it for the new Apple M"x" chips?
THAT would be a really nice idea!

Cheers!
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mr. Tore Mogensen left tc electronic in 2018 when it was bought by behringer, and went to work for UA.
It looked like a good move... until today.

Tore brought A LOT of innovation to the TC pedals (MASH, Toneprint...etc), great products at THE RIGHT PRICE.

What happened at UA? Is this the best they can do?

Well, the promo videos are world class, at least.
Old 28th January 2021
Rea
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The idea is good- Plugin based pedal, but A collection of overpriced pedals again? make one pedal with an effect chain. buying the same expensive plugins and hardware over and over again...
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well that was a bit of a letdown. Way to go UA!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog ➡️
If they sold a universal one where you could choose say 4 effects to install then I would definitely think about it.
That would be huge hit. And then load the reverb licenses you already own on to the pedal.
Old 28th January 2021
Gear Head

These sound great, but I already have the real versions of most of these effects (or equivalents)...

Seems like other algorithms can be added. Question is whether they are planning to charge for those algo updates or if they are going to add them for free like Source Audio has in the past. Knowing UA, probably planning on charging for additional algos. They probably should have followed Source Audio's lead more on this line.
Old 28th January 2021
Here for the gear

To paraphrase an old Robin Williams joke, UA is God's way of telling Silicon Valley they have too damn much money :-)

Targeting a Kemper or Fractal type of product would seem a far better place for UA to spend effort.

-Z-
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
Chandler/API pedals are a bit different (rack gear placed on the floor), but are they even selling? I never hear anyone talk about them. These are more traditional.
I have the API bass pedal. I use it for recording bass direct into the computer. It's very good.
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
underwhelmed
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➡️
I watch all the UA media rollouts and videos, they're catering to the kids making beats in their bedroom.
I think the exact opposite is true and it's the reason why UA is heading full force into a niche market. The kids don't want the perfect Fairchild or Bluestripe emulation cause they didn't grow up listening to the records that used them. The kids are not engineers, especially old school ones who were raised on analog consoles. Luna is not applicable to them in any shape or form and these kids represent 99% of the plugin industry. I like UA but there is no question that in a few years they will be a shadow of their former self.
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Once again a product that’s not really innovative but just recycles their DSPs and algorithms in a new box at a way too high price tag.

I miss the days when UA was a sound / music company. Now they’re just a money company.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace ➡️
I have the API bass pedal. I use it for recording bass direct into the computer. It's very good.
I have no doubt. I also record with API (the rack unit). It's just that that bass pedal isn't really comparable to the functionality of this UAFX, except that it's in a similar container and designed for a pedalboard.
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not to pile on, but a pedal that could load your plugin collection would be a must buy at that price.
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That Starlight Echo Station looks interesting. Does it give the Guitarist a built in Echoplex and Korg SDD-3000 without latency?
Old 28th January 2021
Gear Nut

The GUI looks good in its own right.
but $399... I'm thinking deeply about the value of things.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove ➡️
Not to pile on, but a pedal that could load your plugin collection would be a must buy at that price.
And controllable/recallable from software, as a PLUGIN that saves with your DAW session, not like Eventide's H9 or some of the others which require 3rd party apps to operate and recall. Now that would be a great product. Though, software "pedals" are getting quite good. That's less ideal for tube amps, of course, or anything operating outside the box. Software-controlled hardware. That's where I'm at!
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
At $400 they'll be competing with Strymon, and that would be a very tough battle to win.
If they‘d deliver Capitol Chambers (together with other reverb algos) in a hardware box that‘s also line compatible, they‘d have something that definitely would compete very well! But somehow they messed it up.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have no doubt. I also record with API (the rack unit). It's just that that bass pedal isn't really comparable to the functionality of this UAFX, except that it's in a similar container and designed for a pedalboard.
Of course they have almost nothing in common -- the API is all analog and these pedals are digital -- except that they are both expensive.

I see these pedals as aimed more at recording use than live use (only 1 preset, etc.) -- maybe somebody who wants the very best spring reverb sound would use this on stage (to me the reverb sounded amazing, much better than my Strymon Flint, and maybe even better than my Tone King amp's actual reverb) -- but they are awfully pricey for using in a club, where nobody is going to hear the difference (at all) because as we know most rock clubs have HORRIBLE acoustic reflections that are going to make such subtle improvements to the onstage sound a moot point.

Well they are also probably great for songwriting, as the guy from My Morning Jacket talked about.

I'd say the API pedal has more functionality than these UA pedals: EQ, compressor, actual pre-amp. I got it thinking it would save me from buying a couple grand worth of outboard to record bass guitar through API rack gear (with obvious limitations). I'm totally satisfied with it for its purpose.
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've actually been poking around the web for a new pedal the past couple of weeks, just for songwriting inspiration etc. (I have a huge amount of pedals already so looking at weird stuff like harmonizers and so on). These things seem like small improvements on stuff I already have -- I've got a Strymon Flint with digital reverb; a Dawner Prince Boonar Echorec emulation (it's just "ok"); an actual bucket brigade delay (Diamond Memory Lane 2); the tremolo in the Flint, a Fulltone Supa-Trem, and a Diamond Vibrato (great pedal)

The stuff I heard today sounded fantastic but I'd just be duplicating what I already have for the most part, and in many cases going from real analog to a digital emulation of analog, which is a step in the wrong direction for me.

If they had released one pedal, as others have said, and you could pick 3 models to run in it and buy extras, that would be more appealing. I'd get the spring reverb, the EP3 and a couple of the modulation plug-ins and that would totally be worth $500 or so.

They will probably sell okay for the first six months, then fade away. They remind me somehow of the Kurzweil rack mounted effects units from 15-20 years ago, where the hardware was EXACTLY the same but they ran different plug-ins and gave them different paint jobs. Those didn't last long.

EDIT: 2003!

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...rumour-mangler

Last edited by radiospace; 28th January 2021 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: why not
Old 28th January 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I must be out of the loop as far as guitar products go because I don’t understand the line of thinking that these won’t be good for live use because they only have one preset. In all my time playing guitar I never once thought about “lack of presets” being an issue. Now that I think about it, I don’t think I have a single guitar pedal that can store presets and I have at least 40 guitar pedals. How hard is it to bend down/reach out and turn a few knobs?
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Time based fx with no midi will keep this off a lot of boards... some one should be fired! How in the world are you going to setup a Set list with no midi?
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
3 algos each, a normal price would be 199$. Now at $400, I am playing with my same-price Empress Echosystem and Reverb pedals, with 20+ algos each..
Lives for gear

86 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If I were going to spend the money I'd prefer some heritage-based pedals like API and Moog.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif ➡️
I must be out of the loop as far as guitar products go because I don’t understand the line of thinking that these won’t be good for live use because they only have one preset. In all my time playing guitar I never once thought about “lack of presets” being an issue. Now that I think about it, I don’t think I have a single guitar pedal that can store presets and I have at least 40 guitar pedals. How hard is it to bend down/reach out and turn a few knobs?
Have you ever seen The Edge bend down and turn a few knobs?

Or Jimmy Page for that matter?

(I've done it and I felt like a clown, and the knobs never end up in the exact right position.)

If you are using a pedal for generic reverb or overdrive then you set it and forget it; but if you are syncing a delay to the beat of a song or something you aren't going to do that by "bending down and turning a few knobs" and times have changed and many guitarists are very sophisticated in their use of technology.
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They are trying to compete with the MOD Dwarf before it comes to market. That is going to be the real pedal future.
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another year no UAD3 ... I know I bag on people for bashing Waves etc... but come on, I feel like there's been a reasonable expectation for UAD3 or some kind of real upgrade to the UAD processing options (other than Octo) to be released for at least the last 5 years.

They just keep doubling down into UAD2 ... three generations of interface, still UAD2 ... hell, Apple has gone through the PowerPC to Intel transition and now the Intel to Apple Silicon transition is starting and kicking ass, ALL since UAD2 was released in 2007/2008.

I don't have any UAD products, I've been waiting with the thought "hmm UAD2 seems old and underpowered, gonna wait for UAD3 to buy in" for much too long.

i'll show myself out

/rant.
Old 28th January 2021
Lives for gear

I’m sure they’re very good but you can buy actual analog guitar pedals that do this for less. Maybe the marketing shouldn’t be about that analog heritage.

Do these have their own character? What’s the USP? Why should I buy this rather than something more fully featured from EHX, BOSS, Line6, Fractal, Strymon or any of the independent pedal makers?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…