Waves Audio announces Nx: Ocean Way Nashville - Page 8 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio announces Nx: Ocean Way Nashville
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHepcat ➡️
I don't use the Headtracker and have no plans to use it but everytime I reboot my comp the annoying HT popup shows up. I have unchecked all boxes to defeat it but still get the popup. Anyone know how to stop this? thanks in advance!
What OS? I'm going to have to remove mine, as it hogs my CPU to the point of crashing with head movement, also notice it takes open itself to launch another instance when CPU gets to 90 plus usage just by HT only, Waves remoted into my system, after a firmware update went south...took better part of two days to fix? that.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
What OS? I'm going to have to remove mine, as it hogs my CPU to the point of crashing with head movement, also notice it takes open itself to launch another instance when CPU gets to 90 plus usage just by HT only, Waves remoted into my system, after a firmware update went south...took better part of two days to fix? that.
Mojave 10.14.6
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mojave 10.14.6
Im using Win10, sorry, I know enough on a Mac, to get in trouble.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't use the Headtracker and have no plans to use it but everytime I reboot my comp the annoying HT popup shows up. I have unchecked all boxes to defeat it but still get the popup. Anyone know how to stop this? thanks in advance!
You can change app’s name (add “OFF”) inside Waves folder. Worked for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Waves Audio announces Nx: Ocean Way Nashville-screen-shot-2021-02-17-10.53.07.jpg  
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartob ➡️
You can change app’s name (add “OFF”) inside Waves folder. Worked for me.
Thanks a bunch! In deference to GS country of origin-it worked a treat!!! Thanks all for your help!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wish they had eq correction curve for over-hyped Slate vsx.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Does anyone have latency issues with Own and Soundsource? With the original nx there is no delay and it works perfectly. But with own or studio 3 if I move the cursor over the plugin it starts to glitch
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez81 ➡️
Does anyone have latency issues with Own and Soundsource? With the original nx there is no delay and it works perfectly. But with own or studio 3 if I move the cursor over the plugin it starts to glitch
I can tell you in Win10 my NX would slowly increase CPU usage, you could watch it in Resource Monitor, after 10 minutes it would be in the 90 percent and the head tracker would have up to 7/8 second delay. If I'd close it out, it wouldnt close, it would start another instance and share the CPU usage.
Once I had three instances running before crash...but I could not use end task or do anything. So maybe this is related..in a way? Really haven't messed with it at all after all that.
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey Rick I have no issues in my daw with any of the NX plugins. It’s only when I use Soundsource which is a OS X program that allows you to route audio signals and use au plugins
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez81 ➡️
Hey Rick I have no issues in my daw with any of the NX plugins. It’s only when I use Soundsource which is a OS X program that allows you to route audio signals and use au plugins
I was using Waves LV1, I think my issue my be bluetooth related, but that doesnt explain, not being able to close or end task and have another instance open. May (I dont know Mac OS) but look in you resources if you have such, and see if more than one instance is running. When mine did this, it only showed the one GUI, but there were three running, thats when i quite messing with it, and I've a hard time getting to spend any time at my studio, to mess with it. If i am there, i'm playing guitar.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncovered Pitch ➡️
This is my experience exactly. From what I've learned on the VSX thread, everyone's perception of the binaural effect is different. For me, I cannot get by without head tracking. I now use OWN with VSX HD Linear as my main headphone set up. OWN sounds much clearer and more immersive than NX and especially ARS3.

I also got good results using OWN with my DT-880s and outside correction like Realphones, Sonarworks or Morphit.

Using a webcam instead of the tracker works great, but you do have to sit in the sweet spot. What I haven't tried yet is automating the balance control inside of OWN/NX/ARS3 with an LFO to simulate small head movements. If that works then maybe I'll be able to do without tracking altogether.
Do you own the Slate Digital VSX headphones? I am currently using OWN with my DT880 Pro headphones but am wondering if I am missing a lot by not owning the VSX headphones. The VSX headphones are somewhat expensive for me but I will make the investment if people think it is worthwhile jump in functionality compared to what I am currently using. I have decent monitors but my room has issues and I am not into changing my room at this time. Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 ➡️
Wish they had eq correction curve for over-hyped Slate vsx.
VSX offers its "own" EQ correction in the form of HD Linear. That can be used in conjunction with OWN.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcprod ➡️
Do you own the Slate Digital VSX headphones? I am currently using OWN with my DT880 Pro headphones but am wondering if I am missing a lot by not owning the VSX headphones. The VSX headphones are somewhat expensive for me but I will make the investment if people think it is worthwhile jump in functionality compared to what I am currently using. I have decent monitors but my room has issues and I am not into changing my room at this time. Thanks.
Yes I do own VSX. Like I said everyone's experience with it is different. I'm not too keen on the room simulations as they sound phasey to me, even the cleanest rooms. The headphones themselves(mainly due to the bass extension)are very good for mixing though, better than my DT880s. Whether I would have paid £500 for just the cans is hard to tell now. Too late!

The VSX emulations are great for checking mixes in "worst-case-scenarios" because to me all of them sound bad. Although something like MixCheckerPro also offers those.

Maybe the sensible thing to do would be to see how your OWN/DT880 mixes translate for a few weeks as right now there's no VSX stock anyway. OWN is my favourite out of all the speaker emulations(and I've tested them all), but it's even better with the VSX headphones set to HD Linear. Sorry!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcprod ➡️
Sure. Everyone is missing out on something by not owning or having access to everything out there. The question is, does it really matter in this case? Are you happy with the results you're getting while using OWN + DT880 Pro? And if the answer is no, what shortcomings have you been experiencing with your mixes so far?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acctx ➡️
ARS3 user here. I briefly tried OWN and while the sound is better, I feel like all the fine detail is still not there, it has a washed out sound and is not suitable for any kind of serious mixing (just like ARS3) just for overall balance shaping and low-end checks.

I'm also disappointed with how almost identical both monitors sound. They don't really give 2 different perspectives on the mix. They tuned to sound pretty much the same, not much new is heard switching between the two.

I will keep on using ARS3 for low end troubleshooting. I love how different all 3 pairs sound in low end and focus on different areas of bass, and find balancing bass to sound great on all 3 to be a tough but very rewarding act. I also feel that despite "phasey" sound it actually sounds more like a studio environment than OWN which I feel is a bit more muted and smooth.
That’s also how I tell if a source track is screwed. If I get crazy artifacts trying to tune the low mids and make it work with the near and mid monitors, it needs to be either re-recorded or gutted and heavily effected, because there’s no way that it’s going to translate as is.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you for your reply. I ended up purchasing the VSX headphones so will give them a try. The store where I purchased has a 30 day return policy so I can now compare directly to my current solutions.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Currently I have only tried a couple of rough mixes using OWN/DT 880 combo. I just purchased the VSX headphones yesterday so will now compare them to my other mixing solutions. Thank you for your reply.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Better speakers are great if you have a well treated room. If not, to get back to the fiscal point of your post - you are wasting money. I think the OW plug-in was being offered for $35 so your argument is moot. Try using the plug-in before commenting in a forum about said plug-ins, it's really annoying.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Agree 100%
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexi Head ➡️
Better speakers are great if you have a well treated room. If not, to get back to the fiscal point of your post - you are wasting money. I think the OW plug-in was being offered for $35 so your argument is moot. Try using the plug-in before commenting in a forum about said plug-ins, it's really annoying.
Who are you talking to?

I see you agreed with your own post. :-)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Both ARS3 and OWN have shockingly uneven frequency responses with massive dips all over the spectrum. At least with HD600 emulations.

Do a sine sweep with each set of speakers. See if you will still want to do full mixes on them...
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Both ARS3 and OWN have shockingly uneven frequency responses with massive dips all over the spectrum. At least with HD600 emulations.

Do a sine sweep with each set of speakers. See if you will still want to do full mixes on them...
Do you mean when using OWN’s HD600 EQ correction? Because that correction sounds completely wrong to me. Sonarworks correction sounds totally different - I suspect much more accurate! I hope Waves fixes this.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernathy ➡️
Do you mean when using OWN’s HD600 EQ correction? Because that correction sounds completely wrong to me. Sonarworks correction sounds totally different - I suspect much more accurate! I hope Waves fixes this.
You assume those rooms are flat in RL. I highly doubt it. Racks of hardware, massive consoles, desks, windows at ER points... I highly doubt OWN or ARS rooms are anywhere near flat. It'd be very interesting to see actual REW measurements of those rooms.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You assume those rooms are flat in RL. I highly doubt it. Racks of hardware, massive consoles, desks, windows at ER points... I highly doubt OWN or ARS rooms are anywhere near flat. It'd be very interesting to see actual REW measurements of those rooms.
I don’t know what you’re saying. I’m saying if I’m using OWN and I turn off it’s HD600 EQ correction and turn on Sonarworks’ HD600 correction, it sounds totally different (better).
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well that defies the whole point of using the plugins. Turning of the tracking turns the plugin into a simple 2 dimensional reverb.

The way our brain detects it’s actually in a given space is all the subtle changes in ambience as our bodies move, out heads move, the changes that objects make to the space. It works kind of like echolocation. Even though you may think your head is perfectly still, it isn’t. Even breathing while sift out perspective subtly.

What the head tracking software is detect all these movements and relays the changes to the plugin. It’s also why the bluetooth tracker works much more effectively than the camera. Turning of the tracking disables the crucial part of the software. The plugin no longer “puts you in the space”, it becomes a glorified reverb. It may seem a bit inconvenient at times, but it does make a difference.

So you REALLY want to think twice about disabling the head tracking
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…