Waves Audio announces Nx: Ocean Way Nashville - Page 3 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio announces Nx: Ocean Way Nashville
Old 26th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I actually initially thought the same thing last night and then I started looking into it more.

Its a bit of a head scratcher
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
@ td moyer : Exclusive for Nx and AR3 owners.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My first impression of NX OWN: The sound lacks depth. Same issue as ASR3. The response of the HR1 is quite nice. I prefer it over the ASR3 far-field, but both still pale in comparison overall to the VSX Archon far-field and Howie engineer positions. If only Waves' modelling offered the same 3D quality of sound, the HR1 would probably be one of my new favorites! But as it stands now, I'm not even sure if it's worth the $30 to me. I'm still putting it through its paces ATM though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by play/record ➡️
Are you familiar with Waves Nx Virtual Mix Room?
Does the phase issue that you speak about in ARS3 occur in NxVMR?
Thanks
I don't know about any phase issues, but when I use NX, there is a
high frequency boost that I hear when it's engaged. I don't hear this boost
in Sonarworks, Can opener, or Abbey Road. I don't trust NX for this reason.

Last edited by Phil Cibley; 26th January 2021 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thats all im saying , it makes only sense this way!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
you need to put the eq after the room simulation, only this way in your headphones are corrected to that simulated room. Everything else makes no sense. You and your ears are the last thing in this chain , think about that
Old 27th January 2021
Here for the gear

Hello,
are the webcam or tracker mandatory or do the plugin and headphones only work fine ?
Old 27th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbydebarbes ➡️
Hello,
are the webcam or tracker mandatory or do the plugin and headphones only work fine ?
they are optional. The plugin and a pair of headphones work just fine without them.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler ➡️
It looks like you've got this backwards. If you are running some sort of corrective room EQ, by using either DSP on your computer or built into the speakers, then the EQ is dialed in such that when the signal leaves the speakers and interacts with the room, the resulting frequency response is the desired one. That is, the corrective EQ is not applied to the actual sound in your room. If you want to apply the same principle to the headphone case, you would correct the signal first before the audio is fed into the virtual room. That said, I doubt that this even makes much of a difference, if any, with this kind of room simulation software.
Your not trying to flatten the virtual room. You're flattening the headphones' response. Think of Sonarworks and your cans as a unit. Ideally you'd have linear headphones, right? That's what Sonarworks does, it linearises the cans. Or let me try another angle: If you feed pink noise through NX and print it, you'll get exactly the same result, no matter what headphones you are using. Up until that point, the pink noise sounds exactly how the engineers at Waves would have expected it to sound (namely pink noise + ambience and whatever else goes on inside NX). Now the headphones introduce a variance from one user to another. The headphones are the variable that is 'out of control'. Sonarworks eliminate that variance by making the headphones flat (in theory, of course) and so it sounds - once again - exactly the way it is expected to sound according to the engeneeres of the plugin. (Again, this is all heavily idealized, just to make a point).

By the way, there is an article by Sonarworks disussing the combined use of GHz Canopener with Sonarworks, there, too, it is advised to put Sonarworks after Canopener.

All that said, I agree that there probably isn't that much of a difference and truth be told, I was confused about this at the beginning, also (the ARS thread can testify to that)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My take on the VSX vs OWN debate.

I own both. I spent a few more hours with OWN and have been working exclusively with VSX for the past few months. VSX is still the gold standard to my ears. VSX just provides you with so many different listening environments that all sound realistic. The synergy between the headphones and the software is perfect.

Where OWN shines is conveniences to me. OWN sounds a little less 3D to me compared to VSX, but it still sounds good. The ability to be iLok free (at the mercy of waves updates) and to be free from proprietary headphones is a big selling point. Only 35 bucks for the plug and 100 bucks for a pair of 280s and you're good to go with a headphones that sounds better then mixing in a untreated or poorly treated environment with budget studio monitors.

VSX is amazing and is still king to my ears, but now everyone can get into the game with OWN for working on headphones.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by td moyer ➡️
$34.99 with CREATE40. Where are you seeing $29.99?
In the email from Waves.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I think it's enough to trick my brain into thinking it's real when I'm focusing on the task at hand. I personally found that it REALLY helps if I have a pair of speakers in front of me. It gives my brain a frame of reference to latch onto.

If my "rate" drops below 30, I might notice the motion slightly delayed, but I don't really headbang with headphones on or when I'm trying to mix. I've not tried the Slate product, but I do like the movement the bluetooth dealie provides compared to my experience with CanOpener Studio.

If it matters at all, I'm listening on Audeze LCD-X headphones with Sonarworks last in the chain. OWN does sound SIGNIFICANTLY better than ARS3.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNM ➡️
Kinda disappointed in this unimpressive list, they should at least have all the standards. I can't believe the sony mdr7520 isn't on there. The headphone modeling seems to do quite a bit of tone shaping which you can't do with the normal controls, am I right about that? I don't get why they wouldn't include some form of that besides the models when they claim it works for all headphones. I'm just salty though cause I immediately thought of those headphones when I about this. It's a cool plugin and I'll get it.
I agree. The list is impressively small. Not even DT770 which are so often used by many many producers. I suppose that this feature should be considered as a tiny bonus, not one of the main features.

In theory ToneBoosters Morphit should serve as a good alternative for those who doesn't have headphones from the list. Or Sonarworks if someone has more cash to spend in this uncertain times.
Old 27th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oh wow really?? Since when??? Never mind, I just checked my email.

This is pretty cool news. Now we have two pro studio spaces we can cross reference with. I don't suppose they're going to start modelling any special pieces of equipment from this studio as well?!? Now that's an interesting thought.
Old 27th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Snake Oil
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was starting to think about spending the 900 Australian Dollars to get VSX but decided to hold off until after March for the new run of improved headbands. In the meantime OWN came along and Realphones dropped onto my radar today too. OWN is a big improvement over the original Nx which I never used after the first few months.

I've been comparing OWN to Realphones and finding it difficult to pick which one I prefer. Realphones has the advantage of having a KRK KNS-8400 profile whereas OWN does not. It would be a fairer test if both had profiles for my headphones.

Getting one of them would be a good stop gap until March however if I include the cost of my headphones then VSX costs nearly 5 times the current intro price of OWN + my headphone cost so now the big question I'm asking myself is VSX 5 times better than OWN on a pair of KRK-KNS8400 headphones?

Last edited by screentan; 27th January 2021 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Correction - don't do maths at 1am!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan ➡️
I was starting to think about spending the 900 Australian Dollars to get VSX but decided to hold off until after March for the new run of improved headbands. In the meantime OWN came along and Realphones dropped onto my radar today too. OWN is a big improvement over the original Nx which I never used after the first few months.

I've been comparing OWN to Realphones and finding it difficult to pick which one I prefer. Realphones has the advantage of having a KRK KNS-8400 profile whereas OWN does not. It would be a fairer test if both had profiles for my headphones.

Getting one of them would be a good stop gap until March however VSX costs 22 times the current intro price of OWN so now the big question I'm asking myself is VSX 22 times better than OWN?

From what I can gather from videos and reading, the headphone EQ correction in Nx is pretty limited. Think of it as a bonus on top of the room / studio simulation.

My understanding is that you are better off having a dedicated headphone correction EQ placed after Nx in the chain.

In my case its:

Nx OWN - Sonarworks Ref 4 - DT 880 Pro

Im very impressed so far. (I was also looking at the Slate VSX system).

As for the comment above regarding 'Snake Oil', I can only assume the poster either believes all headphone correction is snake oil including systems like Slate VSX or has the luxury of an acoustically treated room with reference monitors. If so, this product is not for them anyway.
There also appears to be plenty of posters in this thread who are also reasonably impressed with OWN so far.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjharrall ➡️
From what I can gather from videos and reading, the headphone EQ correction in Nx is pretty limited. Think of it as a bonus on top of the room / studio simulation.

My understanding is that you are better off having a dedicated headphone correction EQ placed after Nx in the chain.

In my case its:

Nx OWN - Sonarworks Ref 4 - DT 880 Pro

Im very impressed so far. (I was also looking at the Slate VSX system).
I neglected to mention I do have Sonarworks. That has been a gamechanger for my mixing. I think either OWN, Realphones or VSX will be too.
Here for the gear

Quote:
I neglected to mention I do have Sonarworks. That has been a gamechanger for my mixing. I think either OWN, Realphones or VSX will be too.
I would definitely demo OWN with Sonarworks after it in the chain. See how you like it.

It really works well for me.

I know Realphones also does the same job as sonarworks but also has room simulation as well so not sure you would need that if you end up with OWN but I have not tried Realphones.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I would definitely demo OWN with Sonarworks after it in the chain. See how you like it.

It really works well for me.

I know Realphones also does the same job as sonarworks but also has room simulation as well so not sure you would need that if you end up with OWN but I have not tried Realphones.
I am indeed demoing them with and without Sonarworks. I just wish I could demo VSX. Problem is I live 1700 km from a music store big enough to stock and let you demo VSX.
Here for the gear

Quote:
I am indeed demoing them with and without Sonarworks. I just wish I could demo VSX. Problem is I live 1700 km from a music store big enough to stock and let you demo VSX.

Thats the problem with VSX. Its an awful lot of cash if you cant test before you purchase. Most places are funny about returning headphones as well.

I read a lot of great things about VSX but Im wondering how close my current setup as described is? Perhaps its 80% there or something like that.

In that case, it would be difficult to justify the outlay on VSX. Of course its difficult to get that comparison.

A poster above seemed to think it was in the VSX ballpark but not as good.
Old 27th January 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The only real thing I'm missing from OWN is the ARS farfields, which to me felt like you were listening two big speakers suspended above you in a big room and let you hear the sound in a way that most of us can't at home even with a pair of good near-field monitors in a good room. Other than that it feels like it's an improvement in just about every way. I hope they go back and fix AR3 but the $30 buy-in for owning an NX already is pretty good.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

A poster above seemed to think it was in the VSX ballpark but not as good.
They are close. VSX sounds a bit more "3D" to me and has a ton more environments. I personally love the NRG room in VSX.

But, they both provide you the center image like room monitors and provide you an accurate low end monitoring. Both of those things are hard to judge with just headphones.

I suggest demoing OWN. Do a mix fully trusting the plugin and then do the "car test". See how that mix translates. For what you get for the price, OWN is a steal. I purchased it and plan to use it when I want to be iLok free. Plus having the ability to buy an extra pair or 2 of 280 Pros is nice. Currently I don't believe you cant get extra pair of VSX headphones.
Old 27th January 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I don't think one should compare OWN to VSX. VSX is a dedicated system and the developers know how the cans sound, so therefore they can control exactly how the final product is going to sound. To me that's the golden route so to speak - Compare it to mic emulation, systems that include the mic and the software are always going to be more truthful to the source than just the software on top of whatever mic you have. That said, it doesn't mean you cannot be perfectly happy using your regular set of headphones with OWN or Realphones or the Plugin Alliance thing. Also one doesn't exclude the other. You can always use OWN and after that VSX in linear HP mode, if you like what OWN does.

I'd say it depends on how happy you are with the cans you have been using up until now. If you are very happy with them and they were a big investment, just keep them and go with one of the software versions. If you think they're bad or mediocre and have been looking into updating them, I would go for VSX. Questions like "is this product 10x better than another if it's 10x the price" are not exactly fair. You could say that about every piece of audio tech (or tech in general). The bang for the buck curve is pretty steep when you're moving in the low-mid quality segment of the market, but get's flatter the more you get into the high quality part.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmastering ➡️
They are close. VSX sounds a bit more "3D" to me and has a ton more environments. I personally love the NRG room in VSX.

But, they both provide you the center image like room monitors and provide you an accurate low end monitoring. Both of those things are hard to judge with just headphones.

I suggest demoing OWN. Do a mix fully trusting the plugin and then do the "car test". See how that mix translates. For what you get for the price, OWN is a steal. I purchased it and plan to use it when I want to be iLok free. Plus having the ability to buy an extra pair or 2 of 280 Pros is nice. Currently I don't believe you cant get extra pair of VSX headphones.

Thanks. I actually purchased OWN within about 15-20 mins of demoing. I was really impressed and I went into it thinking I wouldn't be.

OWN + SW Ref 4 + DT880 Pro = Headphone happiness (for now)

I haven't owned the 880's for that long so the VSX purchase would sting a bit I think.
Old 27th January 2021
Here for the gear

OWN is such a big upgrade compared to ABR3, Hopefully the revisit ABR3.
Old 27th January 2021
Gear Nut

Seeing the fairly favorable comparisons to VSX is great, especially for those of us who can't spring for VSX (the apparent gold standard in this game for now) at the moment, and have to pick between Realphones and now OWN.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➡️
I like to keep an open mind about all kinds of users and product uses, but I just can’t understand the point of this kind of tech. MAYBE if one was using cheap headphones, but in that case, investing the money into better headphones seems like it would always be a better decision rather than investing in phase shift/IR/eq tech (which I’m assuming is something like what is being used here) to change the result of ones’ listening environment. Oh well, to each their own.
Exactly. And I dont get it why you want to get used to some other peoples control room? I mean master your own control room and studio. Or like you said buy better headphones and learn how that one sounds.
Old 27th January 2021
Gear Addict

Personally prefer Realphones with my LCD-1’s.
I do have a tuned treated studio but often have to work in headphones at the moment, I can get Realphones sounding very close to my room and mixes translate really well.
OWN is definitely an improvement over ABS and useful but to me, having all the extra parameters in Realphones allows me to get better results, for around the same price.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic ➡️
Exactly. And I dont get it why you want to get used to some other peoples control room? I mean master your own control room and studio. Or like you said buy better headphones and learn how that one sounds.
Im not sure you understand the product then. This provides 3D space and tries to emulate sitting in front of studio monitors.
Its got nothing to do with the quality of headphones you buy but clearly better or well calibrated headphones will enhance the Nx product.

Thats exactly why I use Sonarworks to correct my DT880's to a neutral response. Now I add in the Nx OWN and I have a simulated 3D studio environment with sound that now comes from in front of me not drilled into my head at the ear canal.

Nx OWN provides the 3D room and space Sonarworks ensures my 880's dont provide their own colour to the sound.

Its not about mastering your own control room and studio. 1) Most people don't have that luxury. 2) A lot of people, myself included, are limited to producing mostly on headphones. This product caters to headphone users that don't want to feel like they are wearing headphones all the time. Even the product promos talk about this.
You cant correct for the limitations of headphones simply by purchasing better headphones. Thats why Slate VSX exists too.
The idea is that you mix in a real space and with calibrated headphones so that when you playback on car systems, or hifi systems or iphones etc that the mix still sounds balanced. This is often a huge problem on headphones.

Its a win win for me.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…