Waves Audio announces Nx: Ocean Way Nashville - Page 2 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio announces Nx: Ocean Way Nashville
Old 26th January 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I just put this up against ARS3. ARS3 sounds like its broken and needs an update in comparison. Nx OWN sounds great.The sound field is more open. In ARS3, the instruments sound like they are out off place/beyond phasey. Its just weird.
Old 26th January 2021
Gear Head

waves always comes out with interesting products. I have appreciated it for a long time.
Old 26th January 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
First impression is that I really like this one, sounds much more neutral than ARS3.
The room feels more real, and when doing slight movements, it behaves more "calm" than ARS3.
And always good to have another reference source when mixing.

-I seldom use the ARS3 anymore, there is something with it that doesn't add up...
KK
Old 26th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How to uninstall the demo? Just the demo of this plugin?
Old 26th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipper ➡️
This is the first time I'm felling sitting in a studio room using headphones!
Beeing able & feeling safe to mix and master only on headphones, i´m impressed by this setup now.

Since my headphones are not supported (DT 770 & Beats MixR) I´m using Sonarworks correction for this, putting it after NX Ocean Way.

I've tried NX, ARS3, CanOpener Studio3 , none of them worked out like NX Ocean Way.

Make sure you're listening at least 2-3 hours music on it to calibrate your brain & ears, very important!

Check out the SoundSource App for using it directly on your System audio, its a joy to work with it, combining it with analyse tools as well.
Hey,

Shound't it be placed after the Sonarworks?

I've tried after sonarworks, and it works great. I have been using Realphones for referencing, but this might be also a cool alternative
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Sonarworks should be last in the chain
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpga ➡️
How to uninstall the demo? Just the demo of this plugin?
https://www.waves.com/support/uninstall-waves-products
Old 26th January 2021
GS Community Manager

Anyone using the bluetooth head tracker with this? How is that experience?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Demoing OWN with my VSX headphones, with EQ correction by the VSX profile in Realphones 2.

After listening to techno and progressive house references for about half an hour, flipping back and forth between the OWN far fields and the far fields in VSX (NRG and Archon), I have to say I may actually prefer OWN for hearing the low end properly. First impressions are it sounds more defined. Worth investigating further for sure. The CPU usage is way higher than VSX though.

Going to try remixing a progressive house track I've been working on, that I just haven't been to get the kick to sit properly using VSX. If the mix ends up translating to my HEDD Type 07 speakers better with OWN I'll update my post.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➡️
I like to keep an open mind about all kinds of users and product uses, but I just can’t understand the point of this kind of tech. MAYBE if one was using cheap headphones, but in that case, investing the money into better headphones seems like it would always be a better decision rather than investing in phase shift/IR/eq tech (which I’m assuming is something like what is being used here) to change the result of ones’ listening environment. Oh well, to each their own.
There are so many people who cant afford a OK´ish listening room, speakers or acoustic pannels ... and for these people those plugins are absolutly great, the point is just to translate a better mix to the outside world and not getting shocked when you hear it the first time at your friends place on some Speakers.
Its not meant to replace a good studio atm, maybe in the future with better Code. Always happy to see progress.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrim ➡️

Can you explain why? Shoudn't we make the earphones response linear and them apply the room response?

I am just trying to understand why, not doubting your answer !
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNM ➡️
Kinda disappointed in this unimpressive list, they should at least have all the standards. I can't believe the sony mdr7520 isn't on there. The headphone modeling seems to do quite a bit of tone shaping which you can't do with the normal controls, am I right about that? I don't get why they wouldn't include some form of that besides the models when they claim it works for all headphones. I'm just salty though cause I immediately thought of those headphones when I heard about this. It's a cool plugin and I'll probably get it.
The EQ curves are a basic snap shot, I would advise using Sonarworks Reference 4 going into or after Nx Ocean Way, now you have the best of both worlds
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
In the real world when you're setting up a room correction system in your studio, it will measure your room through your speakers the corrective eq of your room is set up last in your chain here.

The same principal applies here, got it?
Old 26th January 2021
Here for the gear

It makes sense. Thank you !
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
corrective eq like sonarworks needs to be always last in your chain, the real world setup for such room corrective systems is exactly this way
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat ➡️
Anyone using the bluetooth head tracker with this? How is that experience?
Yeah, it works great.
It feels very realistic and don’t have the sudden moves that ARS3 have...
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
In the real world when you're setting up a room correction system in your studio, it will measure your room through your speakers the corrective eq of your room is set up last in your chain here.

The same principal applies here, got it?
There can't be any room correction eq between the speaker cone and your ear. Yes it measures the room through your speakers, but when you put the correction curve in use, it goes before the speaker obviously. To me Waves NX OWN is the speaker, so the room correction goes before it.

But in reality.. unless you're using custom calibrated sonarworks curve with different curves on left and right channels, it doesn't matter which way they are.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto ➡️
So the idea is that the software adds a bit of natural reverb / crossover or whatever a room would have in it so you can mix in headphones but it sounds like a room? Is there any cases where one would prefer this to an actual room?
• your room is s***ty for critical listening and you have no chance of improving it due to you don't own the space, can't afford/don't have the skills to improve it, etc.

• your room is actually not a room, as you are traveling

• you perhaps enjoy mixing on your monitors in your space, but you want to hear something as an alternative, just to see if things are still working in the mix for you.
Gear Addict

- When my wife is trying to put the kids to sleep and I am working on literally any music.
Here for the gear
My initial reaction is OWN is definitely a step up from ARS3. In my HD600s it is much more natural, less phasey, and much more realistic. OWN seems even cleaner than Realphones with better bass response. Realphones has more options of course, and the new update has more speakers and emulations but when put up against my default Realphones settings OWN seems clearer.
Old 26th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can someone explain the appeal of these products? It’s one thing to have something that can emulate proper speaker placement in headphones, but this places looks like it would give me an ulcer trying to mix there, why would I want that emulated in headphones?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
@ tommijk you want to listen to your room on the corrective curve towards linear, that's the whole principal the fingerprint of the curve is giving you, this is the corrected one of your room, if you are putting the corrective eq before it you're not getting the corrective fingerprint of your room your listening too, instead you are listening through your headphones with no fingerprint of your room. What are you listening to in the studio real world? You are listening to your monitors with an stored eq curve of the room. Applie this to the software, meaning you have to put the Eq last in your chain. Calibrated headphones are another topic here, will help you yes as hardware always differs from each Manufacturer.
Gear Addict

Quote:
@ tommijk you want to listen to your room on the corrective curve towards linear, that's the whole principal the fingerprint of the curve is giving you, this is the corrected one of your room, if you are putting the corrective eq before it you're not getting the corrective fingerprint of your room your listening too, instead you are listening through your headphones with no fingerprint of your room. What are you listening to in the studio real world? You are listening to your monitors with an stored eq curve of the room. Applie this to the software, meaning you have to put the Eq last in your chain. Calibrated headphones are another topic here, will help you yes as hardware always differs from each Manufacturer.
It looks like you've got this backwards. If you are running some sort of corrective room EQ, by using either DSP on your computer or built into the speakers, then the EQ is dialed in such that when the signal leaves the speakers and interacts with the room, the resulting frequency response is the desired one. That is, the corrective EQ is not applied to the actual sound in your room. If you want to apply the same principle to the headphone case, you would correct the signal first before the audio is fed into the virtual room. That said, I doubt that this even makes much of a difference, if any, with this kind of room simulation software.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler ➡️
It looks like you've got this backwards. If you are running some sort of corrective room EQ, by using either DSP on your computer or built into the speakers, then the EQ is dialed in such that when the signal leaves the speakers and interacts with the room, the resulting frequency response is the desired one. That is, the corrective EQ is not applied to the actual sound in your room. If you want to apply the same principle to the headphone case, you would correct the signal first before the audio is fed into the virtual room. That said, I doubt that this even makes much of a difference, if any, with this kind of room simulation software.
Waves Audio Announces Waves Nx – a Virtual Mix Room Plugin

Beaten to death here. Sonarworks actually advise to put the headphone correction after the room (Nx)
Here for the gear

Couldn't agree more! A couple of hours in my listening session now and I hear stuff in songs I've never noticed before.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrim ➡️
Hmmm..

My thoughts are that, Sonarworks was never designed to be used like this, i.e. to correct the EQ profile of a room response played through headphones. It's supposed to correct the EQ profile of the headphone itself.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensorfreitas ➡️
Can you explain why? Shoudn't we make the earphones response linear and them apply the room response?
....So, the above makes more logical sense to me.. flatten the headphones first then add the room response after. This is essentially the advantage of using VSX, the headphones have already been flattened.

***Correction. Just saw the post a couple before this one.. maybe I stand corrected!

Last edited by blayz2002; 26th January 2021 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: I might have this wrong... post updated
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmo ➡️
Only $29.99 at Waves
Before tax though..
$34.99 with CREATE40. Where are you seeing $29.99?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
Hmmm..

My thoughts are that, Sonarworks was never designed to be used like this, i.e. to correct the EQ profile of a room response played through headphones. It's supposed to correct the EQ profile of the headphone itself.....

....So, the above makes more logical sense to me.. flatten the headphones first then add the room response after. This is essentially the advantage of using VSX, the headphones have already been flattened.

https://support.sonarworks.com/hc/en...t-the-plug-in-

Sonarworks disagree with you.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjharrall ➡️
Just updated my post.. I stand corrected
Old 26th January 2021
Here for the gear

My impression is that the Ocean Way sounds really nice, an improvement in overall clarity compared to the ARS3. It was just a quick listen and the placebo effect can be strong. I thought the DearVR Monitor sounded really superb while demoing (through HD6xx and Sonarworks).
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…