The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DDMF Comprezzore - A superbly flexible new compressor plugin
Old 30th November 2020
Lives for gear

Agreed. Even a coarse approximation of the final ratio, say from the 'T' to the 'E' symbol, would be a benefit. Just seeing some numbers moving would indeed make it easier to operate.

Or maybe these controls just need to show a % based on their extremes available? Hmm.. then again, maybe not. That could be really confusing to read. Anyhow, the 'T' control could definitely have a simple negative dB number there taken from the 0dBFS reference (aka 'top' of the diagonal).
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
The focus of this plug is transparent compression?
No. It's giving you controls that don't exist in any other compressor.

The release is a multi-stage release, but you now have the ability to control the rates of the two stages and when you change from the first to the second.

One of the best ideas is having the option to base it on time or dB. So you can do the first 3dB at a 10ms release and the rest at 300 or however you'd like to set any of those numbers.

It also gives you a multi-stage attack with the same controls.

Beyond that it gives you a transfer curve that you can draw in. You can even draw in crazy things like downward compression that becomes upward compression/expansion. Or more likely, reverse that so at the lower levels you're getting a volume boost and the upper ones you're getting the cut.

You can also get negative ratios and they're never transparent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voitto View Post
While it might not reflect the actual ratio,
It would be really handy to have a number there just as a reference point for operation, as with some other compressors with variable knee characteristics. Rather than reading the dots.

Another option would be to display the ratio beside each added dot.
The ratio next to each dot is really the only option.

Once you start drawing, the ratio is different throughout the entire curve.
Old 30th November 2020
Here for the gear

We all agree that it might be easier for orientation to have some sort of arbitrary numbering. And the T and E linking for me would also be a nice option.

I have one question though. Hopefully pilot error, but while trying the demo often after some time I only see this in the analyser window:

DDMF Comprezzore - A superbly flexible new compressor plugin-81382435-052c-4321-a343-0cdc7e9c74e5.jpg

The in out levels are sub zero but the analyser is all filled blue. It is not temporarily, it stays.

Maybe I am overlooking sth. . Any clue?
Attached Thumbnails
DDMF Comprezzore - A superbly flexible new compressor plugin-81382435-052c-4321-a343-0cdc7e9c74e5.jpg  
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
No. It's giving you controls that don't exist in any other compressor.

.. You can even draw in crazy things like downward compression that becomes upward compression/expansion. Or more likely, reverse that so at the lower levels you're getting a volume boost and the upper ones you're getting the cut.

You can also get negative ratios and they're never transparent.
Isn't that similar to what Multiplicity is doing with "below the threshold"? I think that is genius.

The sound of comprezzore immediately reminded me of DC8C and TB Bus compressor. I like both, though recently used a lot more DMG Trackcomp. I was also thinking Melda, which also has freely adjustable transfer curve. But I preferred the sound of the ddmf in my test.
Old 30th November 2020
Gear Addict

Absolutely love to see a plugin doing things that are impossible in hardware.
Gear Head
Maybe the ratio points could be represented in a box-like both attack and release have. That could bring more free space to the interface since we could draw the curves in a smaller space. But I kind of like getting to see where the dots are over the wave analyzer, even though I am not sure this is helping me make better decisions.
Old 30th November 2020
Lives for gear

Is there a cool preset system where users can share their custom presets? Complicated UI can be paired with easy access to lots of creative experiments which can be fun!
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by densaven View Post
Isn't that similar to what Multiplicity is doing with "below the threshold"? I think that is genius.

The sound of comprezzore immediately reminded me of DC8C and TB Bus compressor. I like both, though recently used a lot more DMG Trackcomp. I was also thinking Melda, which also has freely adjustable transfer curve. But I preferred the sound of the ddmf in my test.
It depends on what you mean. There are plugins that work on the signal below the threshold - that's what gates and expanders do. There are also others that do upward expansion, so that control does exist on other plugins. But it's not that common to see a plugin that allows you to control both above and below simultaneously. I'm not sure there's anything else that's put every single dynamic tool in one plugin though, so I do feel like it's something that hasn't really been done before even if its various parts have.

I also think that the Dyn/Tran detection is a little different than RMS/Peak, so that may be new too.
Gear Head

Quote:
...I'm not sure there's anything else that's put every single dynamic tool in one plugin though, so I do feel like it's something that hasn't really been done before even if its various parts have.
Not the same, but Flux Solera comes to mind, or multiband Alchemist.

(btw, Solera is currently on sale for $39)
Old 2nd December 2020
Gear Maniac

The closest plugin this reminds me of is DUY Shape. Shape is a multi-band compressor that also allows you to plot out the ratio curve as well, with more plot points. That said, I used Shape many years ago and stopped using due to compatibility issues, which has been since resolved.

Comprezzore is particularly good with less than perfect audio, kind of a dynamic Swiss army knife that lets you grab the sound in ways that most other compressors can not, yet it is very transparent. It's my new got to mastering compressor. Last week has been particularly good for mastering plugins including Comprezzore and Flatline to name a few...
Lives for gear

There have been plenty of compressors in the past and some still available that let you shape the transfer function. That's not what makes Comprezzore unique. It's the attack and release modifiers that makes it unique.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
There have been plenty of compressors in the past and some still available that let you shape the transfer function. That's not what makes Comprezzore unique. It's the attack and release modifiers that makes it unique.
Isn't this at least similar to MDynamics: custom attack and release shape?

https://www.meldaproduction.com/down.../MDynamics.pdf

Page 10

And it took me some time, but I knew I already had a hard time positioning dots in a curve before comprezzore .

TB FLX 4 Multiband.

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_bustools_v3.html

great, but unfortunately not very comfortable.

Control in the comprezzore plugin is definately a very strong point but also the sound. That's what got my first interest.
I absolutely enjoy the clean sound of comprezzore.

And then I opened the comprezzore in plugindoctor.
@ DDMF
AB Copy Bug in Cubase fixed for me with the 1.03 non-demo-version.
For now. I haven't seen the graphics bug again with the non-demo-version 1.03 in cubase
Old 2nd December 2020
Here for the gear

Ok, so there is a difference between moving the threshold point in the graph vs. turning the threshold knob in the lower portion of the UI. Meaning, turning the knob slides the points on the graph automatically keeping the shape while moving the T-point in the graph moves only the one point. That helps. I just found out accidentally, since It isn't that clear in the manual.
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

After a fair bit of twiddling this has become my absolute favorite for harshness control, de-edging in mastering - slow starting attack and fast target and a fast release, in dB mode. I was trying to set it up to respond in a similar way to the Masalec MDS-2 (I've no idea if i did, but it kinda works!).

Its been great as a full band solution without resorting to heavy handed stuff like soothe or a multi-band compressor/de-esser.

Big happy thumbs up.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Any news on the GUI bugs? It’s been weeks now.
Seems to all have gone very quiet regarding Comprezzore already. Unusually disappointed in DDMF.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmo View Post
Any news on the GUI bugs? It’s been weeks now.
Seems to all have gone very quiet regarding Comprezzore already. Unusually disappointed in DDMF.
There's an updated version up. I haven't had any GUI bugs so I don't know if they address your issues.

It's the holiday season during a pandemic. I'm not sure there's any such thing as valid disappointment in a small business in that context. Only unrealistic expectations.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
There's an updated version up. I haven't had any GUI bugs so I don't know if they address your issues.

It's the holiday season during a pandemic. I'm not sure there's any such thing as valid disappointment in a small business in that context. Only unrealistic expectations.
I don’t think it’s an unrealistic expectation for a product to work properly after it’s released, and it’s been a known problem for 3 or 4 weeks, so I don’t see what that has to do with the holiday season to be honest. I’m a big fan of DDMF, I’ve not run into any previous issues, so this is unexpected. And I’m sorry but the pandemic is not a valid excuse, if it can be released and sold during a pandemic, then it can be fixed also.
Old 2 weeks ago
It works fine for me and has all along. Maybe the problem is on your end. Or maybe the problem is with your DAW's code. Unless you have the answer, you're not really in a position to point fingers.

Lots of people have had their time demands change as a result of the pandemic and if people travel during the holidays, they may have quarantine requirements. There's really no way to know from the outside what someone's context is.

Considering all of their other products have worked to your standards, it seems reasonable to expect there's a legitimate reason for an aberration and no need to express negativity in the midst of their promotional thread.

Maybe send an email privately, and then wait until you get an explanation before making a passive aggressive character assassination.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Here are the changes so far:

v1.0.3: fixed A <--> B option for demo version, added "Reset to default" button in Settings, set proper default colours for VU meters
v1.0.2: fixed cause for hang in Cubase when changing oversampling mode or switching from A to B; wet/dry is 100 % wet when listening to solo sidechain; linked mode now works with external sidechain
v1.0.1: added uninstaller for Windows. Added double click for slider default values, changed range for high- and lowcut filters (will change settings on projects saved with v1.0.0)

BigSmol, from your posts it was not clear to me which bugs you were referring to. If you experience any issues with the current v1.0.3 please contact DDMF support via email.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Really enjoying this plugin.
Another thing that I would find quite useful is an option for the display to respond to changes in the sidechain rather than displaying just the full band signal.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear