The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SubMission Audio releases Flatline - Mastering Grade Clipper
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
SubMission Audio releases Flatline - Mastering Grade Clipper

"Flatline is the last clipper you'll ever need - bringing you the sound of pushing premium, world-class converters at a fraction of the cost.

Designed with ultimate workflow in mind, it turns your mix into a world-class stream, CD or radio-ready master in a matter of seconds. Using industry-leading code, it offloads processing onto the GPU - leaving you with power to spare where it matters most (the mix!).

Instead of overwhelming you with options, Flatline instead focuses and hones in on the "secret weapon" technique of high-end mastering houses since the 2000s: The sound of clipping top-tier digital converters. This is the sound you grew up with, and it's finally within your reach.

Developed in concert with professional mastering engineers to give you only what you need, with no fluff, Flatline is a powerhouse tool: Equally at home in a project studio as it is in a high-end mastering facility.

But there's no need to take our word for it. Try it FREE for 7 days - compare it with your favourite maximizers, and we're confident you'll agree."

https://www.submissionaudio.com/products/flatline

Curious to see how this compares to Kazrog KClip and other things like it.
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Nut

Extremely pricey imo for a clipper.
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
GUI is definitely borrowed from Fabfilter Limiter.
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like the GUI and simple controls, but so far it's not sounding any better to me than KClip3. I'll keep testing, though.
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Addict
Mastering grade clipper with up to 4x oversampling? I think it should be not less than up to 16x or even 32x, if not higher.... Also curious.... The quality of OS? Linear phase?
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

Between StandardCLIP and KClip 3 (which my buddy, a professional mastering engineer swears by) I’ll never need another clipper.
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't think it is as revolutionary as the creators are claiming it to be. It is quite a subtle nuance.

It is definitely cleaner that StandardCLIP in the lows and low mids at the same oversampling settings.

And it's definitely not going to master your track for you as the marketing seems to claim.

It sounds like a very nice and clean clipper.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
GUI is definitely borrowed from Fabfilter Limiter.
Borrowed is being extremely polite. they’ve pretty shamelessly copied the GUI here. there’s no way they’re not aware of Pro L.
Old 27th November 2020
XDX
Gear Head

EDIT: Machinated said the same thing I did when my post was loading.

Ermin has a handful of videos of him working with Fabfilter plugins, so if that is the gui, it had to of been intentional.
Old 27th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool

Looked promising, but it ended with that for me.
Old 27th November 2020
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Expensive. Max 35$
Old 27th November 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Softube Weiss MM-1 mastering maximizer can push lufs further than flatline, in my mix.
Old 28th November 2020
Lives for gear

I saw this on Glenn Fricker’s youtibe... he’s such a f’ing tool... he kept going on about how the thing has a lufs meter... over and over and over and over. I don’t think he ever said what the f’ing plugin ever actually did other than it was a “mastering program”

Did I mention that his dude is such a tool and every time I see him or that MixBussTv guy I wince and wonder if Warren Huart (who I still adore) will call us and apologize for importing them to ‘murica

Last edited by bgood; 28th November 2020 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Sp
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Did I mention that his dude is such a tool and every time I see him or that MixBussTv guy I wince and wonder if Warren Huart (who I still adore) will call us and apologize for importing them to ‘murica

finally someone said it. those guys make me cringe.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
I don't think it is as revolutionary as the creators are claiming it to be. It is quite a subtle nuance.

It is definitely cleaner that StandardCLIP in the lows and low mids at the same oversampling settings.

And it's definitely not going to master your track for you as the marketing seems to claim.

It sounds like a very nice and clean clipper.
Flatline sounds super clean to me, but I'm only clipping -0.5 to -1db max on the 2-buss. I will see how I feel about it by the end of the trial because it wasn't an instant buy.
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

Maybe I'm just being a clipper snob...but I'm running out of competition to throw at Flatline. It just sounds 'expensive'. Maybe I need to try the TC Electronics plug because that's what this sounds like to me. Finalizer. Just sounds so slick for a one trick pony.
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ JfromRVA have you tried the last OVC-128 version ?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
Maybe I'm just being a clipper snob...but I'm running out of competition to throw at Flatline. It just sounds 'expensive'. Maybe I need to try the TC Electronics plug because that's what this sounds like to me. Finalizer. Just sounds so slick for a one trick pony.
Better than Newfangled Saturate??
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Will shoot it out vs Flatline this week. Thanks for the heads up!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsieq View Post
Better than Newfangled Saturate??
Saturate is awesome on snare and bass. But I also use Elevate as my master limiter. Maybe that is why I liked the sound of Flatline as the final clipper instead of the built in saturate clipper in Elevate. Sorta like doubling up, even though a very small amount, when the snare poked thru to Saturate again?

Saturate clipper in Elevate is very true to the source with the spectral clipping algo that is uses. Flatline sounds more like a finalizer. Very smooth and clean. Like icing on the cake.
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lucky for me I have tc finalizer and to me nothing beats that for transparent. I just hate I have to master in adobe then import in finalizer just to do my limiter and clipper.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Just did a quick shootout on a guitar driven rock track. OVC-128 sounds great with a touch of added aggression.

Flatline is just so transparent yet adds a touch of class (both plugs driven to max -1db clip).

I think I would prefer the sound of OVC-128 in the mix on heavy guitars and maybe to push the vocal a bit.

But I'd still choose Flatline as the final master clipper. Now to shoot it out vs the clipper in Limiter 6!
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

OVC-128 and Limiter 6 both sound great. OVC-128 sounds the most aggressive at -1db. Limiter 6 is really versatile offering multiband and M/S. Each of these offer some punch! I mean I am really splitting hairs here because I am hitting each of these modestly and the 'flavor' they each impart is more about style and taste.

The major difference for me with Flatline is that it doesn't sound like it is 'compressing' to increase volume. I feel like each of those sounds just a touch 'smaller' because of the added saturation, where Flatline is not as 'loud' but feels wider.

I'm not a pro and I don't think anyone could guess what clipper was used on a track unless they could setup their own shootout. I am leaning to buy all 3. Limiter 6 as a multiband or m/s clipper on drum buss, OVC-128 for guitar and vocs, Flatline for mastering.
Old 30th November 2020
Gear Head

Newfangled Saturate is incredible since the recent 1.7 update!
Old 30th November 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Does the gui have to look like a chinese Pro L replica! At least choose a different color grading combination
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
Lucky for me I have tc finalizer and to me nothing beats that for transparent. I just hate I have to master in adobe then import in finalizer just to do my limiter and clipper.
Thanks for the heads up. I just came back with fresh ears and downloaded the demo of TC's Brickwall HD and it is just what I was looking for! An ultra-clean limiter with optional clipping.

Sorry for blowing up this board during today's deep dive. But I know where my money is going!

Still think Flatline sounds really good. But in comparison to the competition, I think it falls short to TC's Brickwall HD.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I just came back with fresh ears and downloaded the demo of TC's Brickwall HD and it is just what I was looking for! An ultra-clean limiter with optional clipping.

Sorry for blowing up this board during today's deep dive. But I know where my money is going!

Still think Flatline sounds really good. But in comparison to the competition, I think it falls short to TC's Brickwall HD.
Just before you take out your wallet, try to AB against Sonnox Limiter.

As I AB them atm, they sound very similar, in fact, I've found the Sonnox can be more versatile with the attack/release/knee plus the Enhance feature.

I've been mastering with the Sonnox for a few years now, and I've found the Enhance feature can work much better in most cases than a soft clipper, as it can bring all the low details and improve clarity and add body without affecting the transients like a clipper or add too much pumping like a limiter.

The only downside of the Sonnox is that it can be a bit darker compared to other limiters (especially compared to FF Pro-L2), but usually, I can solve that with my master bus EQ.

CPU-wise the Sonnox is way easier on the CPU compared to TC BW.

The TC Brickwall limiter won for the faster-to-setup, especially with the Loudness Set Gain & Adaptive release.

Hope that was helpful for you.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post

As I AB them atm, they sound very similar, in fact, I've found the Sonnox can be more versatile with the attack/release/knee plus the Enhance feature.

I've been mastering with the Sonnox for a few years now, and I've found the Enhance feature can work much better in most cases than a soft clipper, as it can bring all the low details and improve clarity and add body without affecting the transients like a clipper or add too much pumping like a limiter.

The only downside of the Sonnox is that it can be a bit darker compared to other limiters (especially compared to FF Pro-L2), but usually, I can solve that with my master bus EQ.

CPU-wise the Sonnox is way easier on the CPU compared to TC BW.

The TC Brickwall limiter won for the faster-to-setup, especially with the Loudness Set Gain & Adaptive release.

Hope that was helpful for you.
Awesome! Thank you for this. Elevate is my goto but having additional options is plus. I had not thought to check out Sonnox but I will on your recommendation. Appreciate it.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post

The Sonnox Limiter is a deeply under-appreciated gem... it’s not as fancy looking as Pro-L or Ozone but it sounds killer. Clean, mean, no nonsense, and as you say surprisingly flexible. Open up the attack and release and it punches harder than any limiter I’ve ever heard, and then bring up the Enhance fader for more loudness than you ever really need these days.

Oxford Limiter is very clean and invisible when it needs to be... but it’s also the one limiter that I actually like “the sound” of when it’s pushed.

I’ve actually been evaluating Flatline in the context of being placed right before the Oxford Limiter. Flatline sounds great, and the GUI is great even if it is unoriginal in appearance.

StandardClip is occasionally clearer but also harder or harsher sounding; Flatline seems to feel smoother or something, it seems like it presents more low mids than StandardClip somehow.

Have not compared to Eventide Saturator because my demo ran out. Voxengo OVC-128 has always felt weird to me, the clipping is of course flawlessly clean but it seems to change the very highest highs the most to me, as soon as it is activated; some decision in the oversampling filtering process must not sit right with me or something. It reminds me of Pro Tools’ resampling processing, which I have always found lacking.

I will compare OVC-128 and Flatline a little more before I purchase either.

Last edited by rhysmix; 30th November 2020 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmix View Post
Have not compared to Eventide Saturator because my demo ran out. Voxengo OVC-128 has always felt weird to me, the clipping is of course flawlessly clean but it seems to change the very highest highs the most to me, as soon as it is activated; some decision in the oversampling filtering process must not sit right with me or something. It reminds me of Pro Tools’ resampling processing, which I have always found lacking.

I will compare OVC-128 and Flatline a little more before I purchase either.
It is/was due to the oversampling in OVC. It has since been updated a bit.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear