The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SURREY Guitar Amp Suite, a brand new Acqua library by SoundDrops is here!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frellin' Smesh View Post
Thanks for this.

People rarely show Bass-Players any love in demo videos, so when they do, i take note.

Surrey seemed to work quite well for bass, but if I buy it for this purpose, Soundrops will then 'probably' release a Bass version next month!

This is my dilemma...๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ
I hereby declare that there's no Surrey 'Bass Version' release planned any time soon, if this may help...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

one of most prolific Hiwatt players were Floyd, obviously, but there was no guitar version / bass version, Hiwatt was marketed as "all purpose amp", therefore, Dave and Roger played the same DR103 heads, except that later at some point Dave had a linked input mod done for his amp, normal and brilliance inputs were linked together, which was the common trick to make the rather dark British amps sound a bit brighter without loosing the lower frequencies.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteDal View Post
I hereby declare that there's no Surrey 'Bass Version' release planned any time soon, if this may help...
This helps greatly! ๐Ÿ‘

Downloading now...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can someone help me understand the mics on the main plugin. When i pan 1 and 3 hard left and right respectively with 2 centre i get more on the right side, but when i pan 1 & 2 hard left and right and keep 3 centered it's pretty balanced. Also, when you turn the treble right down the output seems to get louder.

I'm not a bass or guitar player btw, just re-amping virtual instruments. Thank you.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
Can someone help me understand the mics on the main plugin. When i pan 1 and 3 hard left and right respectively with 2 centre i get more on the right side, but when i pan 1 & 2 hard left and right and keep 3 centered it's pretty balanced.
@ Andy McGroarty

It's perfectly normal. You can't have a perfect balance between two or more different microphones put in different positions in front of an array of speakers.
The output level always depends on the spectral content of the signal, since the frequency responses are (sometimes wildly) different.
Even more so for bass-heavy signals, such as an electric bass.

The easy remedy here is to readjust the L/R balance on a case by case basis, if need be.

Quote:
Also, when you turn the treble right down the output seems to get louder.

I'm not a bass or guitar player btw, just re-amping virtual instruments. Thank you.
Again, this is exactly what happens with most classic guitar amps. It's explained (I hope) clearly in the manual: the controls in the tone-stack stage are strongly interdependent. Consequently, when you turn down the Treble control the whole low frequency range gets louder... almost like a tilt eq.
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ Andy McGroarty

It's perfectly normal. You can't have a perfect balance between two or more different microphones put in different positions in front of an array of speakers.
The output level always depends on the spectral content of the signal, since the frequency responses are (sometimes wildly) different.
Even more so for bass-heavy signals, such as an electric bass.

The easy remedy here is to readjust the L/R balance on a case by case basis, if need be.

Again, this is exactly what happens with most classic guitar amps. It's explained (I hope) clearly in the manual: the controls in the tone-stack stage are strongly interdependent. Consequently, when you turn down the Treble control the whole low frequency range gets louder... almost like a tilt eq.
Cool, thanks for the explanation Stedal, much appreciated .
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

So does this work with the free N4P player? Meaning, if I buy Surrey, I don't need to buy anything else to make it work permanently?
@ SteDal
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_I_Crawl View Post
So does this work with the free N4P player? Meaning, if I buy Surrey, I don't need to buy anything else to make it work permanently?
@ SteDal
Yes, all you need is the free N4Player!

No need to buy anything else... except for a computer and (optional) a guitar. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Permanently, guaranteed.
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes, all you need is the free N4Player!

No need to buy anything else... except for a computer and (optional) a guitar. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Permanently, guaranteed.
I've been searching for a great plug-in that works as a bass amp simulation. I've tried about 12 different plug-ins recently for this ..... Surrey is the best amp sim i've ever heard as a plug-in.

Love it! Thank you!

Can't wait to try on guitar, but this thing KILLS on bass. Such a fair price - thanks for keeping this within reach for me.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

"Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist Gary Rossington told Guitar School magazine, July 1993, that he'd never heard anybody, including the current guitarists in the band, play the picking on this song quite right - the way Steve Gaines did."

I have to admit, this was one of the biggest challenges in my guitar career Steve Gaines was simply out of this world. Listen to my version and let me know if it feels right. Left channel is original music and right channel is my guitar.

Guitar is cheap, but sweet Cort Source. And of course, amp-sim is a beautiful Surrey LE (using it in real time with ZL version). Still can't believe how good it feels & sounds

Enjoy!

Merry Xmas & Happy NY 2021

Last edited by zabukowski; 3 weeks ago at 09:19 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I also made it using surrey.
90's rock.
surrey makes a cheerful sound.
Attached Files
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabukowski View Post

"Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist Gary Rossington told Guitar School magazine, July 1993, that he'd never heard anybody, including the current guitarists in the band, play the picking on this song quite right - the way Steve Gaines did."

I have to admit, this was one of the biggest challenges in my guitar career Steve Gaines was simply out of this world. Listen to my version and let me know if it feels right. Left channel is original music and right channel is my guitar.

Guitar is cheap, but sweet Cort Source. And of course, amp-sim is a beautiful Surrey LE (using it in real time with ZL version). Still can't believe how good it feels & sounds

Enjoy!

Franci, this is amazing, you rock ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

do we want 100 watt version of Surrey?

because a couple of my neighbors been acting c*ntsy in the recent days. defo no Xmas cool vibes and neighbory cheers.

I wanna go all Pete Townshend on them in the middle of the night. all amps on eleven, strumming the hell outta my Gibson SG.

would love to see their faces when they jump outta bed
Lives for gear

Quote:

Enjoy!

that's very good ahaahha
Lives for gear

Quote:

Enjoy!

Go Franci!!!
Gear Head

Quote:

Enjoy!

Does real time only work with the zero latency version? I'm using Surrey for bass and it's great.

@ zaphod
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_I_Crawl View Post
Does real time only work with the zero latency version? I'm using Surrey for bass and it's great.

@ zaphod
Non ZL version of plugin has pretty high latency, so it's not suitable for real-time (live) performance.

For the best experience, i record with LE ZL version and then "re-amp" using Surrey plugin. In this video, sound is coming from Surrey LE.

Last edited by zabukowski; 2 weeks ago at 08:12 AM..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Just a quick heads up to let everybody know that an update for the trial version of SURREY is available on Aquarius from today.
It now includes also the low CPU version SURREY LE, so that you may freely test it in your system.

As promised, the intro price of 52โ‚ฌ will be extended a week from now, until next Tuesday, January 12th.

If you haven't done it yet, now's the time to take a test drive!

The trial versions of Acqua plugins/libraries are fully functioning plugins which will expire 30 days after installation.
Please note that presently trial and commercial versions aren't interchangeable yet; you're advised not to use trial versions in important projects, or, at least, be prepared to manually copy all the plugin settings to the commercial version.

Lives for gear

Quote:

Just a quick heads up to let everybody know that an update for the trial version of SURREY is available on Aquarius from today.
It now includes also the low CPU version SURREY LE, so that you may freely test it in your system.

As promised, the intro price of 52โ‚ฌ will be extended a week from now, until next Tuesday, January 12th.

The trial versions of Acqua plugins/libraries are fully functioning plugins which will expire 30 days after installation.
Please note that presently trial and commercial versions aren't interchangeable yet; you're advised not to use trial versions in important projects, or, at least, be prepared to manually copy all the plugin settings to the commercial version.

One of the best releases of 2020!
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
One of the best releases of 2020!
Agree, this is such a great ITB soft-amp. Love the head, the cabinet and the reverb. Such a great package.

Surrey for British cleans, Virgo for American cleans. Both take hardware pedals like champs for overdriven or distorted tones.

I'm still a hardware amp guy in the end, but I am enjoying these N4 software amps much more than any other offerings.

IMO from what I have spent many hours with: Hardware > Surrey/Virgo > Neural > S-Gear > Amplitube. That's just me though. Everyone has their preferences. We all win. I also have 4 real life amps and love them all for different things.
Lives for gear

Quote:

So is today the last day it is for sale at the intro price or tomorrow?

Also if i am using the mix knob in reaper with surrey will that cause any issues with phase etc?

Thank you Stedal.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
So is today the last day it is for sale at the intro price or tomorrow?
The intro price is going to last until tomorrow night (Tuesday), Central European Time (UTC+1).

Quote:
Also if i am using the mix knob in reaper with surrey will that cause any issues with phase etc?

Thank you Stedal.
As far as the mix knob in Reaper... Yes, of course you're going to experience severe phase issues!

It can't be any different than that. Even just any guitar amp produces some evident phase shifts, mainly because of the tone stack stage. But it's nothing compared to what the cabinet then does, scattering the phase all over the place, and each microphone doing it in a slightly different way.

Please remember that we are dealing with 4 different microphones, in 4 different positions, placed among 4 speakers at different distances... Actually, I think that placing a mic in front of a cabinet is an art in itself.

Yet, in certain specific cases maybe you can use this chaotic phase response to your advantage in a creative way, by adjusting the mix control in Reaper. Just be prepared for some deep holes in the frequency response...
Lives for gear

Quote:
The intro price is going to last until tomorrow night (Tuesday), Central European Time (UTC+1).

As far as the mix knob in Reaper... Yes, of course you're going to experience severe phase issues!

It can't be any different than that. Even just any guitar amp produces some evident phase shifts, mainly because of the tone stack stage. But it's nothing compared to what the cabinet then does, scattering the phase all over the place, and each microphone doing it in a slightly different way.

Please remember that we are dealing with 4 different microphones, in 4 different positions, placed among 4 speakers at different distances... Actually, I think that placing a mic in front of a cabinet is an art in itself.

Yet, in certain specific cases maybe you can use this chaotic phase response to your advantage in a creative way, by adjusting the mix control in Reaper. Just be prepared for some deep holes in the frequency response...
Thanks Stedal. To be honest Iโ€™m not a guitar player, and know nothing about guitars. Iโ€™m a producer using Surrey to re-amp virtual instruments, thanks for sharing your insight.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Hi SteDal,

Today I was trying to map Surrey to MIDI and noticed there are some parameters not being sent and others with wrong names.

I checked with other third-parties I have, and it seems it's a general behavior.

It gets worst if I load the libraries directly on N4, instead of using the AU/VST version. In this case, you can't actually control anything, and the parameters are labeled "MIX 1" and so on.

While this seems to be a Nebula limitation, it would be nice having the ability to control 2 parameters at once in Surrey using a MIDI controller. I did it, using the EQ section, but couldn't do it with the level/pan section.

Do you think it is possible to improve that now, or this is something that has to be addressed in the code of Nebula itself?
Attached Thumbnails
SURREY Guitar Amp Suite, a brand new Acqua library by SoundDrops is here!-surrey-midi.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

That's a very nice amplifier
I am so disappointed that I missed the intro price...
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartob View Post
Hi SteDal,

Today I was trying to map Surrey to MIDI and noticed there are some parameters not being sent and others with wrong names.

I checked with other third-parties I have, and it seems it's a general behavior.

It gets worst if I load the libraries directly on N4, instead of using the AU/VST version. In this case, you can't actually control anything, and the parameters are labeled "MIX 1" and so on.

While this seems to be a Nebula limitation, it would be nice having the ability to control 2 parameters at once in Surrey using a MIDI controller. I did it, using the EQ section, but couldn't do it with the level/pan section.

Do you think it is possible to improve that now, or this is something that has to be addressed in the code of Nebula itself?
@ Bartob :

Yes, this behavior is due to the way N4 is structured internally.
Maybe things are a bit different in MacOS, but presently in a Win10 system you can write/read only the first 8 parameters for the 'standalone' VST2 and VST3 versions. Moreover, while in VST2 the real parameter names are displayed, all you get in VST3 is a MIX1/MIX2/MIX3... etc list.

OTOH, if you load any 3rd-party library in N4/N4Player, you can't read or write any parameter at all.

AA states that things might improve with a future framework change; it's in the plans, but no time frame is given yet.
As for now, maybe it might be useful if you (and possibly all the rest of the N4/Acqua libraries user base as well) raise a ticket to make your voice heard, reporting this limitation and asking for an improvement, if you feel like.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
@ Bartob :

Yes, this behavior is due to the way N4 is structured internally.
Maybe things are a bit different in MacOS, but presently in a Win10 system you can write/read only the first 8 parameters for the 'standalone' VST2 and VST3 versions. Moreover, while in VST2 the real parameter names are displayed, all you get in VST3 is a MIX1/MIX2/MIX3... etc list.

OTOH, if you load any 3rd-party library in N4/N4Player, you can't read or write any parameter at all.

AA states that things might improve with a future framework change; it's in the plans, but no time frame is given yet.
As for now, maybe it might be useful if you (and possibly all the rest of the N4/Acqua libraries user base as well) raise a ticket to make your voice heard, reporting this limitation and asking for an improvement, if you feel like.
Itโ€™s exactly like that when using AU/MacOS. Iโ€™m gonna make a ticket for sure and try to discuss this in other threads.

I hope this can be implemented shortly as it would be a great improvement in our workflow. Besides that, preventing RSI is always a good practice in our area.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear