The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NS-10 STUDIO MONITOR SPEAKERS IR'S By Past To Future
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thumbs up NS-10 STUDIO MONITOR SPEAKERS IR'S By Past To Future

NS-10 STUDIO MONITOR SPEAKERS IR'S By Past To Future-ns-10-monitor-speakers-irs-cover.jpg

NS-10 STUDIO MONITOR SPEAKERS IR’S

No need to talk about these studio legends that wrote music history.

If you don’t have a pair, grab these, put them on the master buss, and mix into them!

Or double-check your mixes through them.

We’ve also created true-stereo IR’s and also normal Stereo IR’s

You will get 9 IR’s in this Pack!

96 & 44,1 KHz Wav files

Check out the demo:

Available at www.gumroad.com/pasttofuturereverbs

We are proud to bring you sounds you can’t find anywhere else!

A Past to Future Release
Attached Thumbnails
NS-10 STUDIO MONITOR SPEAKERS IR'S By Past To Future-ns-10-monitor-speakers-irs-cover.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nice.

You really should consider an old Mackie mixer channel drive impulse. There is some magic to that which a lot of House, Techno, Drum n Bass producers would love to recapture ITB. You guys would do a great job.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Nice.

You really should consider an old Mackie mixer channel drive impulse. There is some magic to that which a lot of House, Techno, Drum n Bass producers would love to recapture ITB. You guys would do a great job.
Really? Which mackie Mixer would that be?
Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Nice release and this one makes a lot of sense indeed as there is no harmonic distortion (well there is in the bass area if you turn them up too loud, but we clearly do not want that LOL). Thanks a lot!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARC Mastering View Post
Nice release and this one makes a lot of sense indeed as there is no harmonic distortion (well there is in the bass area if you turn them up too loud, but we clearly do not want that LOL). Thanks a lot!
Glad to hear that! Thanks.
Any other studio monitors we should sample?
Cheers
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastToFuture View Post
Really? Which mackie Mixer would that be?
Cheers
1604 early/mid 90's
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
1604 early/mid 90's
Thx that is easy to get
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thx that is easy to get
If you can crack this, it will be amazing!
Quote:
Nice.

Wouldn't that be more of a distortion / non-linearity thing? Those producers were driving those things kind of hard; the sound of those records is the Mackie's imperfect circuit headroom struggling to manage all that bass.
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you can crack this, it will be amazing!
Ok will buy one for this project
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Agreed that this is a good idea compared to some other recent releases which I felt made less sense than this.

Consider how handy it would be to have a few classic monitors on hand, along with phone/iPad speaker, low- and high- grade hifi systems, etc. There are some products already out there offering this, but since you've done NS10's, might as well go all in, right?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
Agreed that this is a good idea compared to some other recent releases which I felt made less sense than this.

Consider how handy it would be to have a few classic monitors on hand, along with phone/iPad speaker, low- and high- grade hifi systems, etc. There are some products already out there offering this, but since you've done NS10's, might as well go all in, right?
We have already done and released 4 studio monitors also a Mix controller IR’s collection with all stuff like iPhone, iPad, MacBook, radio, car audio, Hi-Fi systems and more. Please check out our past to future reverbs site for more info.
Lives for gear

Quote:
We have already done and released 4 studio monitors also a Mix controller IR’s collection with all stuff like iPhone, iPad, MacBook, radio, car audio, Hi-Fi systems and more. Please check out our past to future reverbs site for more info.
Ah nice! Yup, totally missed it, my bad. I struggle to keep up with things these days

OTOH the website is a touch tricky to navigate I reckon. Well, all the same, congrats on the nice release!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
1604 early/mid 90's
Agreed that old cheap Mackie's are amazing for dance music. Specifically the way they overdrive. I tend to think the aspects that make them useful are not the ones that can be captured by an impulse.

It's a shame there aren't any plugins modeling those mixers. There is a stigma against making plugins emulating cheap gear, even when it's something that sounds great (for specific use) and would be very useful to have in a modern ITB workflow. I'm sure it just comes down to a question of how do you market a plugin that costs more than the hardware it's emulating.
Quote:
Nice.

This will do nothing. Please read up on how impulses work. They don't capture distortion, saturation, etc. They can only capture a static snapshot of an EQ curve plus a time delay (reverb).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

A bit off topic, but you should consider separating clearly your impulses response activity from your drum samples activity, so that one can subscribe to one newsletter and NOT to the other. You're making so much IRs i'm not interested in that i had to unsubscribe from your newsletter, although i own 95% of your drum samples. Pastto futureSamples, pasttofutureReverbs, vintagedrumsamples... Please clean up this mess and give us the possibility to subscribe only to what we're interested in ! :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

So how would this work then? :-) I don't get it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by budweiser View Post
A bit off topic, but you should consider separating clearly your impulses response activity from your drum samples activity, so that one can subscribe to one newsletter and NOT to the other. You're making so much IRs i'm not interested in that i had to unsubscribe from your newsletter, although i own 95% of your drum samples. Pastto futureSamples, pasttofutureReverbs, vintagedrumsamples... Please clean up this mess and give us the possibility to subscribe only to what we're interested in ! :-)
It is separated PTF samples are drums PTF reverbs are ir‘s
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
This will do nothing. Please read up on how impulses work. They don't capture distortion, saturation, etc. They can only capture a static snapshot of an EQ curve plus a time delay (reverb).
This.

I had 3 different Mackie mixers for that exact same purpose. The best was the earliest 1604 non VLZ version. In fact i still have it in the attic. Can't be arsed to use them since there are a lot better options today in VST form. All the KUSH preamps for example.

The mackie had a very exciting distorion if you fed one channel to the next and drove it hard. If you pushed the High EQ on the first channel, it broke into a fuzzy gated distortion. It was very muddy sounding in the low-mids though.
I was a huge Prodigy fan and i had to have that sound, it was all over Jilted Generation and Fat of the land. You can clearly hear it on the drums of Smack my Bitch up and Firestarter. Daft Punk used one too on the early albums.

You can't capture distortion with IR's, so there is no point in doing this.
But you can do this sound with many many better saturation VSTs.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It is separated PTF samples are drums PTF reverbs are ir‘s
Yep, although some drums are under the P2Freverbs brand. But i was speaking about the newsletter. I'm interested to receive news about your drum recordings, but NOT about your irs. As you do mostly irs, i just unsubscribed. If they're already sepearated newsletters, it's all ok !
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by budweiser View Post
Yep, although some drums are under the P2Freverbs brand. But i was speaking about the newsletter. I'm interested to receive news about your drum recordings, but NOT about your irs. As you do mostly irs, i just unsubscribed. If they're already sepearated newsletters, it's all ok !
Yes it is separated. Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

So do people really think mixing through these is going to be like owning a pair of NS even though the final sound is pumped out of your physical speakers/headphones?

I dont get it
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

VarikusBrainz

Frequency response of your monitors + frequency response of your room + ns10 IRs on master = utter crap )
I do not understand how someone can not understand this)and keep using other "tools" based on monitors IR ....

Because there is only one (average ) working method, put ns10 next to your monitors in your room, make ir of both ,make resulting IR and you may be hear some kind right frequency response of ns10 from your monitors
But even so, the result will be unpredictable and incomplete, because there is a huge difference in the design features of monitors,amplifiers ,,sealed and ported cabinets ,e.t.c and all of these -just can not be captured by IR ....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
This.

I had 3 different Mackie mixers for that exact same purpose. The best was the earliest 1604 non VLZ version. In fact i still have it in the attic. Can't be arsed to use them since there are a lot better options today in VST form. All the KUSH preamps for example.

The mackie had a very exciting distorion if you fed one channel to the next and drove it hard. If you pushed the High EQ on the first channel, it broke into a fuzzy gated distortion. It was very muddy sounding in the low-mids though.
I was a huge Prodigy fan and i had to have that sound, it was all over Jilted Generation and Fat of the land. You can clearly hear it on the drums of Smack my Bitch up and Firestarter. Daft Punk used one too on the early albums.

You can't capture distortion with IR's, so there is no point in doing this.
But you can do this sound with many many better saturation VSTs.
How about doing this with nebula?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don’t know how many of you guys are into nebula?
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem bankin View Post
Frequency response of your monitors + frequency response of your room + ns10 IRs on master = utter crap )
I do not understand how someone can not understand this)and keep using other "tools" based on monitors IR
Depends on what your assumptions are. If you think the entire thing is carried through what the irregularities in the frequency response are (for instance if you think the midrange bump out of the NS10 is the magic bullet for translation) then it'll make sense to you. There's even some truth in that: highlight certain things and you'll hear what's going on with them, cut away other parts of the audio spectrum and you won't be focussing on them.

My experience with NS10s and good amplification is that it's the energy storage behavior that matters. The response is flawed, in ways that highlight the midrange and so on, but due to the build of the NS10s the speaker can make loud transient sounds and then be silent again very quickly, and it's that which interests me, not the response irregularities. I find the ability to 'expose' a mix is down to the speaker's ability to make sound and then stop, very quickly, with minimal resonances and overhang. (there are other speakers, like some audiophile speakers, that are also very good at this)

If you're into using the midrange honk and response irregularities to guide your mixing, this product will do that just fine. If you need the behavior of a speaker with very little blur and overhang, using an IR on top of a whole other speaker isn't going to help unless the other speaker is itself very low-energy-storage. It's not automatically a bad idea, it's a bad idea if you need the energy-storage behavior of the NS10, because an IR will actually make your existing speakers worse on that front, much like if you were adding a reverb or a guitar cab IR.

Those who find specifically the midrange honk and response irregularities useful can use an IR like this for a lot less than getting a set of real NS10s, much less the NS10s plus good amplification to drive them and damp them.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Depends on what your assumptions are. If you think the entire thing is carried through what the irregularities in the frequency response are (for instance if you think the midrange bump out of the NS10 is the magic bullet for translation) then it'll make sense to you. There's even some truth in that: highlight certain things and you'll hear what's going on with them, cut away other parts of the audio spectrum and you won't be focussing on them.

My experience with NS10s and good amplification is that it's the energy storage behavior that matters. The response is flawed, in ways that highlight the midrange and so on, but due to the build of the NS10s the speaker can make loud transient sounds and then be silent again very quickly, and it's that which interests me, not the response irregularities. I find the ability to 'expose' a mix is down to the speaker's ability to make sound and then stop, very quickly, with minimal resonances and overhang. (there are other speakers, like some audiophile speakers, that are also very good at this)

If you're into using the midrange honk and response irregularities to guide your mixing, this product will do that just fine. If you need the behavior of a speaker with very little blur and overhang, using an IR on top of a whole other speaker isn't going to help unless the other speaker is itself very low-energy-storage. It's not automatically a bad idea, it's a bad idea if you need the energy-storage behavior of the NS10, because an IR will actually make your existing speakers worse on that front, much like if you were adding a reverb or a guitar cab IR.

Those who find specifically the midrange honk and response irregularities useful can use an IR like this for a lot less than getting a set of real NS10s, much less the NS10s plus good amplification to drive them and damp them.
By the way, we used Avantone CLA-200 to power the ns10s for making these IR‘s
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have NS10s and I really can't mix on them in terms of tonal balance. But what I really like about them is how clearly you can hear the attack of compression or percussive instruments etc. I guess it's called fast transient response. I think that's where they shine. I don't think an IR can simulate this.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonDonsen View Post
I have NS10s and I really can't mix on them in terms of tonal balance. But what I really like about them is how clearly you can hear the attack of compression or percussive instruments etc. I guess it's called fast transient response. I think that's where they shine. I don't think an IR can simulate this.
Maybe not but you can get the general sound of it with this IR‘s. Ns10s let you focus on the midrange like no other monitors
Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I feel strangely compelled to voice an opinion that probably doesn’t have that much relevance... But! And it is only a very subjective opinion.
NS10’s like the Neumann U87 or the horned Westlake monitor speakers belong, amongst others - for me - to a past where technology was in baby shoes,
that some hanker after what I consider to be something truly awful and that should have been left there in the past as a stepping stone, is a total puzzle. All the reasons for dragging them back into the present when we have so many amazing new tools at outr disposal are either nostalgic or just plain weird.... There! I said it!
NS10’s have to be one of the worst studio monitors ever conceived. Give me Auratones any day
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear