The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NS-10 STUDIO MONITOR SPEAKERS IR'S By Past To Future
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyn View Post
I feel strangely compelled to voice an opinion that probably doesn’t have that much relevance... But! And it is only a very subjective opinion.
NS10’s like the Neumann U87 or the horned Westlake monitor speakers belong, amongst others - for me - to a past where technology was in baby shoes,
that some hanker after what I consider to be something truly awful and that should have been left there in the past as a stepping stone, is a total puzzle. All the reasons for dragging them back into the present when we have so many amazing new tools at outr disposal are either nostalgic or just plain weird.... There! I said it!
NS10’s have to be one of the worst studio monitors ever conceived. Give me Auratones any day
Tell this to CLA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyn View Post
I feel strangely compelled to voice an opinion that probably doesn’t have that much relevance... But! And it is only a very subjective opinion.
NS10’s like the Neumann U87 or the horned Westlake monitor speakers belong, amongst others - for me - to a past where technology was in baby shoes,
that some hanker after what I consider to be something truly awful and that should have been left there in the past as a stepping stone, is a total puzzle. All the reasons for dragging them back into the present when we have so many amazing new tools at outr disposal are either nostalgic or just plain weird.... There! I said it!
NS10’s have to be one of the worst studio monitors ever conceived. Give me Auratones any day
We also made IR’s from the auratones if you want to check them out I can send them to you for free to try
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarikusBrainz View Post
So do people really think mixing through these is going to be like owning a pair of NS even though the final sound is pumped out of your physical speakers/headphones?

I dont get it
I think you get it, and the answer, of course, depends upon the physical speakers/headphones. If your monitoring chain is flat, there's no reason to think that these IRs wouldn't be able to serve as credible references. *Not* NS-10s, but an approximation. There's value in that.
These IRs can be very useful in combination with Waves RX if you want to set up a virtual NS-10 mixing room.

Are they recorded with a measurement mic in an anechoic room at a distance of 1 m or something like that?

Then you have a quite accurately simulated speaker in the frequency domain which can be placed in a HRTF based virtual acoustic environment.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson Paris View Post
These IRs can be very useful in combination with Waves RX if you want to set up a virtual NS-10 mixing room.

Are they recorded with a measurement mic in an anechoic room at a distance of 1 m or something like that?

Then you have a quite accurately simulated speaker in the frequency domain which can be placed in a HRTF based virtual acoustic environment.
They are recorded with a measurement mic in an anechoic room
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson Paris View Post

We are also working on a headphones to control room studio monitors converter that will have also the room sound for simulating real room with Real speakers
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastToFuture View Post
We are also working on a headphones to control room studio monitors converter that will have also the room sound for simulating real room with Real speakers
Can you make that work perfectly with a pair of Sennheiser HD650’s, please?

;-)

Last edited by brucerothwell; 3 weeks ago at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Sp error
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Can you make that work perfectly with a pair of Sennheiser HD650’s, please?

;-)
Sure!
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I think you get it, and the answer, of course, depends upon the physical speakers/headphones. If your monitoring chain is flat, there's no reason to think that these IRs wouldn't be able to serve as credible references. *Not* NS-10s, but an approximation. There's value in that.
Flat and perfect time-domain performance, as in 'zero overhang at any frequency'. That's actually easier to accomplish on headphones: speakers, particularly speakers with bass reflex ports, forget it even if they're measuring flat.

One thing about the NS10s, which will be correctly captured by an IR, is that they're sealed box speakers and as such they don't themselves have a tuned resonance in the bass. As such you can't get around the resonances already in your monitor speakers, but with good sealed headphones you've got a chance at capturing what the (largely missing, but -6db/oct) bass rolloff of the NS10s are really like. If you're using ported speakers those will ring on top of what the NS10 model is showing you, plus they're -12db/oct due to the tuned port (unlike what's in the NS10 IR) so you'll be hearing the problems of your actual monitors rather than the IR, at that stage.

So, I guess… might be of use as a kind of reference if you are using headphones that you can be more confident of, in their time domain performance? Being 'flat' isn't what NS10s are about anyhow far, far from it. They can put into the room something of the resolving quality of headphones, but through their own peculiar tonality. Great headphones by themselves aren't a magic bullet, interestingly: if they're good enough that an NS10 IR makes sense, then the headphones will be SO clean that some transient information will get by you, gone so quickly that it's deceptive.

All in all, an interesting thought experiment.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Flat and perfect time-domain performance, as in 'zero overhang at any frequency'. That's actually easier to accomplish on headphones: speakers, particularly speakers with bass reflex ports, forget it even if they're measuring flat.

One thing about the NS10s, which will be correctly captured by an IR, is that they're sealed box speakers and as such they don't themselves have a tuned resonance in the bass. As such you can't get around the resonances already in your monitor speakers, but with good sealed headphones you've got a chance at capturing what the (largely missing, but -6db/oct) bass rolloff of the NS10s are really like. If you're using ported speakers those will ring on top of what the NS10 model is showing you, plus they're -12db/oct due to the tuned port (unlike what's in the NS10 IR) so you'll be hearing the problems of your actual monitors rather than the IR, at that stage.

So, I guess… might be of use as a kind of reference if you are using headphones that you can be more confident of, in their time domain performance? Being 'flat' isn't what NS10s are about anyhow far, far from it. They can put into the room something of the resolving quality of headphones, but through their own peculiar tonality. Great headphones by themselves aren't a magic bullet, interestingly: if they're good enough that an NS10 IR makes sense, then the headphones will be SO clean that some transient information will get by you, gone so quickly that it's deceptive.

All in all, an interesting thought experiment.
Thanks for writing!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear