The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TDR Molot GE and TDR Molotok - out now!
Old 23rd October 2020
TDR Molot GE and TDR Molotok - out now!

We're thrilled to announce the release of TDR Molot GE...

...and his smaller companion, TDR Molotok (free).

Russian for "Hammer", Molot is the name of a popular dynamic compressor originally released in 2011 by Vladislav Goncharov. With a modernized concept, extended flexibility, and a generous dose of Rock 'n Roll, the TDR Molot family proudly takes over the job of its predecessor.

TDR Molot GE:
(20% early bird discount until Oct 30th)
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-molot-ge/

TDR Molotok:
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-molotok/
Show replies

Last edited by FabienTDR; 23rd October 2020 at 04:37 AM..
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear

Congratulations Fabien and Vlad.

Two more stellar releases.
They fill a space in your product range very nicely.

Molotok sets a fantastic base level, produces great results and it’s FREE. !
Molot GE raises the bar to the next level with a very clever feature set, for a very generous price.

Well done from cutting edge developers.

Thanks
Show replies

Last edited by Beatworld; 23rd October 2020 at 01:57 AM..
Old 23rd October 2020
Gear Addict

Bought. Thank you Fabien and Vlad.
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear

Been waiting for this one. Couldn't buy it quick enough
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear

WOW it sounds absolutely sick.
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Gear Nut

Hmmmm, anybody else having GUI issues with this? I'm running Cubase 10.5 Pro on Windows 10 with the VST3 version. No issues with my system that I'm aware of. The DAW screen is all messed up, the Molot GUI is on a separate screen by itself.
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jariya View Post
Hmmmm, anybody else having GUI issues with this? I'm running Cubase 10.5 Pro on Windows 10 with the VST3 version. No issues with my system that I'm aware of. The DAW screen is all messed up, the Molot GUI is on a separate screen by itself.
Cubase 10.0.61 VST3, no issues here.
Show replies
Gear Addict

Quote:
Similar but different... also Cubase 10.5 Pro on Windows 10 with the VST3. I'm not having the issues you're describing, but the plug cannot be bypassed with the Cubase "Bypass Effect" button; the compressed signal still plays. I've never ever seen a plugin do that. The VST2 works like it's supposed to.
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Thanks for this, we'll address the VST3 UI issue asap.
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
awesome! can't wait to try it tomorrow!
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Gear Nut

Big thanks, appreciation and respect to all developers. I know it would drive me crazy trying to code for all the different systems out there. And not just that, but the systems keep changing on us.
Show replies
Gear Head

Quote:
I have the same setup and I'm not having those issues with Molot GE.

Instant buy. I have all the other TDR plugins so it was only 30 euros
Show replies
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
Similar but different... also Cubase 10.5 Pro on Windows 10 with the VST3. I'm not having the issues you're describing, but the plug cannot be bypassed with the Cubase "Bypass Effect" button; the compressed signal still plays. I've never ever seen a plugin do that. The VST2 works like it's supposed to.
The bypass button works for me using Molot GE VST3.
I guess the GE version is working fine compared to the free one.
Show replies
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDX View Post
The bypass button works for me using Molot GE VST3.
I guess the GE version is working fine compared to the free one.
I'm talking about the GE demo, so it may be some weird coding inconsistency between the demo and paid version.
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Here for the gear

Bought it!
Sight unseen... or ear unheard!

I have not been disappointed with anything from TDR... not even a little. Actually everything has been better then what I was anticipating.
TDR plugins just work with the way I think. I have had enough plugins to know that it is important to find find plugins that do just that. Some people love to tweak every nuance and some just want to twist a knob and have the shiny thing dance on the screen.
Some plugins just don't fit my thinking process. (or lack there of)

Your plugins have the right blend of ease of use, if you want to twist knobs and get something quick you can or a subtle in depth intelligent complication if you want dig into the friggin fantastic manuals.

A well written manual is hard to find nowadays. You guys nail it with all of them.
I really, really, really appreciate the extra effort you put into that.
I read them multiple times because I can't retain it all in one read. I am an old school manual reading nerd with a bad memory.

Cheers,
McMasters

Good luck in your endeavors.
Show replies

Last edited by McMasters; 23rd October 2020 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: typo's
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
Thanks for this, we'll address the VST3 UI issue asap.
About the manual, you might want to revise the Attack description for educational reasons. The Attack description sounds like pre-attack on other compressors here instead of being descriptive of the rate to apply ratio. The og Molot and Kotelnikov manuals got it right.
https://docs.tokyodawn.net/molot-ge-manual/#Attack
Show replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Mega Therion View Post
About the manual, you might want to revise the Attack description for educational reasons. The Attack description sounds like pre-attack on other compressors here instead of being descriptive of the rate to apply ratio. The og Molot and Kotelnikov manuals got it right.
You're right, and I was certain to have fixed these already. Check the inline help, it should be fine.
Show replies
Gear Addict

Molot GE Demo VST3 on Windows 10 Cubase 10.5 bypass is not working for me. I press bypass, button lights up, but is still compressing.

Having the feedback mode is like having a 2nd compressor. Very nice.
CPU hit in Precise mode is significant.
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Gear Maniac

As always, the TDR GUIs are best in class. A great balance between skeuomorphic and modern interfaces, pleasing on the eye and professionally executed! Congrats!

Tbh, i never really was a fan of the original Molot for whatever reason, just didn’t gel with me, but I’m going to try this one for sure

The “problem” with a lot of TDR GE plugins for me is that they kinda intimidate me with too many unfamiliar controls (It’s coz I’m stupid ), plus the free versions already offer such a lot that I rarely feel an urge to buy the GE ones... :(
Although on second look, doesn’t seem too bad with Molot, except for the secondary attack/release for which one probably has to read the manual (“I’m a man, i don’t read manuals!”).
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Here for the gear

And the Molot said, "MID EQ random seed updated"

Glad I found that... It really sounds fantastic now...

Audio flows through it and the buttons push and knobs twist and the meter meters... without breakage - Logic 10.5.1.

I need to read the manual with this one - the metering is unusual. I wonder what you guys came up with this time...

It's late here.

Cheers
Show replies
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Mega Therion View Post
From the manual.
"Attack sets the time that needs to pass at the moment the input signal crosses the threshold before compression gets applied. "

Seems right to me? Albeit worded a bit oddly, too many "the's" and a bit wordy.

More concise wording suggestion.
The attack sets the time when the compression begins after a signal crosses the threshold.
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear
Amazing plugin really, Molot GE has found its way on my mixbuss while beta-testing it, from day-1.

It might not be the first thing you try with it (I know that's not what I used the original version for anyway), but it works also fantasticly well with low ratios like 1.5:1. Oh and the Dual Stage and Dynamic Mid EQ are

Bravo Fabien and Vlad!
Show replies

Last edited by nil hartman; 23rd October 2020 at 07:33 AM..
Old 23rd October 2020
Here for the gear

Brilliant! Testing on a couple of drum buses, and loving the dynamics options for saturation and Mid EQ. I feel like this is a compressor that leans toward sweet spots, and also really helps you find those sweet spots. Thanks!
Show replies
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
You're right, and I was certain to have fixed these already. Check the inline help, it should be fine.
Cool! Thanks for the lofi button and dynamic saturation and dual time constants and feedback compression! I'm loving this. This is going on my mix and drum busses. I love that the limiter is a soft clipper too. The sound of it is much improved from the super clicky OG Molot. The attack and release constants are better. This is so cool. Molot was already the best envelope shaper around and one of the coolest vocal nukes and it just got better!
Show replies
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMasters View Post
From the manual.
"Attack sets the time that needs to pass at the moment the input signal crosses the threshold before compression gets applied. "

Seems right to me? Albeit worded a bit oddly, too many "the's" and a bit wordy.

More concise wording suggestion.
The attack sets the time when the compression begins after a signal crosses the threshold.
The problem is the wording in MOLOT GE manual doesn't describe attack time. Attack time is the time that the compressor takes to lower the volume of the signal by the ratio (or a portion of the ratio) after it crosses the threshold. Setting the attack time controls a rate on almost all compressors, including this one. The existing wording describes a pre-attack time delay, eg Klanghelm DC8C 3 compressor knob.
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Gear Maniac

Congratulations Vlad and Fabien for the release !
instant buy. cant wait to listen now how it sounds

love the design too. bit reminiscent of the soviet era military truck
Show replies
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
cant wait to listen now how it sounds

love the design too. bit reminiscent of the soviet era military truck
The design - I agree.

The sound... well, IMH the original Molot sounded like this :

Whilst the current Molot(ok) is more like :

Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Gear Maniac

In loose terms, is the Molot the API 2500 compared to Kotelnikov’s Weiss DS1?

Either way, looking forward to learning the ins and outs of this. Will be great for a mastering bus for more punchy music
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Gear Maniac

First of all congrats with the new release! I feel pity regarding the GUI. It is too smooth, I really like to old grungy GUI but that is my personal taste.
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
Gear Addict

Hello guys, thanks for the new plugin!
What does it mean on my TDR account page?

UPGRADE OFFERS
TDR Everything Upgrade
Includes: Molot GE
Buy now for EUR30 (you save EUR20)

I own all TDR GE plugins, except MOLOT GE.

Thanks!
Show replies

Last edited by Mastering7; 23rd October 2020 at 10:09 AM..
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear