The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prism Sound new Flagship ADA-128
Old 22nd October 2020
Here for the gear

Prism Sound new Flagship ADA-128

ADA-128
MODULAR HIGH-QUALITY AUDIO CONVERSION SYSTEM

Today the dawn of a new breed of product from Prism Sound has arrived, The Dream ADA-128. Over the past five years Prism Sound has been developing a new innovative architecture. Defining a new standard in conversion technology, from early conversations with key partners through to prototype testing every step pf the journey has been a defining moment in this revolutionary new unit.

The Dream ADA-128 will be the latest in the acclaimed range of Prism Sound ‘Dream’ A/D and D/A converters which have become widely regarded as the world’s best sounding converters. Whilst continuing the tried and trusted ‘no compromise’ design philosophy of previous ‘Dream’ products, the Dream ADA-128 adds new flexibility, functionality and greater cost-effectiveness.

https://youtu.be/cpS3ch2lR-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB38BE0hrZk
Old 23rd October 2020
sweet...

.. 6k for the chassis, and around 2600 US for each I/O card .. so 16 I/O is 16400 ..

Old 23rd October 2020
Gear Nut

+1K for the host card...
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear

Metric Halo LIO-8 3D interfaces...

In the same class, as I understand it.

Early adopter pricing still at about $1700, I think, for 8in/8out analog, plus a myriad of digital options via inexpensive Edge cards.

Plus, MIO Console, great plugins, and DSP that takes the load off your CPU.

So...

16 ch of AD/DA about $3,400.
32 ch of AD/DA about $6,800.
64 ch of AD/DA about $13,600.

Hmmm....
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Metric Halo LIO-8 3D interfaces...

In the same class, as I understand it.

Early adopter pricing still at about $1700, I think, for 8in/8out analog, plus a myriad of digital options via inexpensive Edge cards.

Plus, MIO Console, great plugins, and DSP that takes the load off your CPU.

So...

16 ch of AD/DA about $3,400.
32 ch of AD/DA about $6,800.
64 ch of AD/DA about $13,600.

Hmmm....

Oh, and if you want world-class preamps, get the ULN-8 3D for $300 more.

The makings of literal analog console in a rack.
Old 24th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Oh, and if you want world-class preamps, get the ULN-8 3D for $300 more.

The makings of literal analog console in a rack.

Big MH fan here. FWIW, there's a bit of confusion on the pricing they currently offer. The first MH interface you buy is at "Early Access" price, then the subsequent interfaces are at "Early Adopter" prices. That makes 16 channels of LIO about $4100. Still quite a lot cheaper than the Prism.

I'm a bit confused by the Prism. It's obviously an incredibly high end product, with its closest competitor maybe the MTRX, with it's modular configurability. But, the target market for such a high channel count configurable interface is pretty limited. Those in high end tracking rooms with a large format analog console, and post houses doing high channel count Dolby Atmos mixing maybe? A bold choice in this era of working from home. But, clearly it's impeccably constructed and aimed at the top of the market. I hope they find success with it.
Old 24th October 2020
Lives for gear

This would be ace with my mothership as an alternative colour.. too bad I’m too invested in the mothership which I have absolutely no issues with btw.

If I was starting again ‘d prolly consider his as at this level both at are farking awesome it’s more a case of taste and flavours.

Wiggy
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The details aren't there yet (no operational manual yet, no specs on hardware) but this is sitting in the class above the MH products.

This sits with the DAD AX32/MTRX and Merging Horus. And it's competitively priced in that company and, for analogue, it's possible to pack it more dense. For scoring stages, dubbing stages, and concert halls/conservatories, this product is well sorted. Just really need to see the routing possibilities/formats and the software control GUI.

Obviously not targeted for home studios or basic band studios (unless aspirationally) -- which is fine; they have the Titan for those groups. Every product isn't for everyone and this is a flagship.

I do find it a shame they delineate card slots between host and i/o -- one of these could have replaced one our rooms on Pro Tools HDX (if we hadn't purchased 5 MTRX). But with only 4 host slots, it can't do what a single MTRX can (today -- wasn't available when we bought) with 5 digilink port sets. Post facilities will love the gearboxing (if they are a mixed format facility) to handle clocks. I don't know where else that added extra (and expense) is desired.

And outside of scoring stages and the rare performance venue, I've never seen racks (and racks) of Prism Dream ADA-8XR units before so this new unit supports their needs at a lower cost.

Just as a price break down (simplifying numbers in US currency; yes, cards aren't all one price and the chassis have different included i/o):
DAD AX32/MTRX = base unit $5k , card options $2100-$3000 (8 slots; 6 can be used for analogue)
Merging Horus = base unit $5.6k, card options $1620-$2260 (6 slots; all possible for analogue)
Prism ADA 128 = base unit $6k , host cards $1k (4 slots), i/o options $2400 (16 slots -- all possible analogue)

So, you'd need a second base unit for the DAD or Merging boxes before you could keep up with the Prism which saves money there.

Last edited by pentagon; 4 weeks ago at 09:18 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Glad to see these kind of many I/O systems are popping up more and more although more and more people are moving ITB.
Thanks to the modularity you also can use it to bridge between formats to incorporate legacy products and/or adapt to hybrid workflows.
These are toys for the big boys and if you think its pricey you also have to add the cabling and optional patchbays which will add up as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't know how this isn't getting more hype.

Prism has been at the forefront of this area pro audio since day one and this is their new flagship product.

Any word from prism on specifications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfil View Post
ADA-128
MODULAR HIGH-QUALITY AUDIO CONVERSION SYSTEM

Today the dawn of a new breed of product from Prism Sound has arrived, The Dream ADA-128. Over the past five years Prism Sound has been developing a new innovative architecture. Defining a new standard in conversion technology, from early conversations with key partners through to prototype testing every step pf the journey has been a defining moment in this revolutionary new unit.

The Dream ADA-128 will be the latest in the acclaimed range of Prism Sound ‘Dream’ A/D and D/A converters which have become widely regarded as the world’s best sounding converters. Whilst continuing the tried and trusted ‘no compromise’ design philosophy of previous ‘Dream’ products, the Dream ADA-128 adds new flexibility, functionality and greater cost-effectiveness.

https://youtu.be/cpS3ch2lR-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB38BE0hrZk
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
I don't know how this isn't getting more hype.

Prism has been at the forefront of this area pro audio since day one and this is their new flagship product.

Any word from prism on specifications?
Seems they are still working out the details -- only reason why they haven't given out specs or manual. They are traditionally forthcoming (after all they also do measurement equipment.) I am surprised dealers are already offering it with no real specs on the cards... They must be fairly confident on shipping times.

As for being on the "forefront"? Not on modular converters or multichannel converters. They definitely are a premiere converter company but they haven't been leading the industry in advances -- often they are late to the game. They just do it very well when they get there with a few bells and whistles.

I too am surprised by the lack of buzz -- though this is a niche market at this high end. Prism sent out tons of emails and Sound on Sound got an advance review. Then again competitors like the DAD AX32 were quietly in the background until they partnered with Avid for the MTRX hype years later. And so is/was the Horus unless you worked with the partnering Merging Pyramix software.

Last edited by pentagon; 3 weeks ago at 03:59 AM.. Reason: typo/missing words
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Seems they are still working out the details -- only reason why they haven't given out specs or manual. They are traditionally forthcoming (after all they also do measurement equipment.) I am surprised dealers are already offering it with no real specs on the cards... They must be fairly confident on shipping times.

As for being on the "forefront"? Not on modular converters or multichannel converters. They definitely are a premiere converter company but they haven't been leading the industry in advances -- often they are late to the game. They just do it very well when they get there with a few bells and whistles.

I too am surprised by the lack of buzz -- though this is a niche market at this high end. Prism sent out tons of emails and Sound on Sound got an advance review. Then again competitors like the DAD AX32 were quietly in the background until the partnered Avid MTRX hype years later. And so is/was the Horus unless you worked with the partnering Merging Pyramix software.
I am not bashing this product but IMO,
1- they haven't changed anything except the box and the clock - same converters
2- this is only aimed to a select FEW big companies - in this world of laptop DAW's
3- we have made leaps and bounds improvements in converter quality for the average pro, that at this price range it's not going to get you anywhere unless you're looking for name recognition
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
Where did you get this info? (because I can categorically tell you that you are wrong)
Besides the heat issues of packing the same circuitry of the ADA8XR (which was 8in/out) into a 2U fanless box that now will hold 8 times more converters ... the 8XR only sampled to 192kHz. The ADA128 goes to 768kHz. That's just a start with what's wrong with your assumption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Where did you get this info? (because I can categorically tell you that you are wrong)
Besides the heat issues of packing the same circuitry of the ADA8XR (which was 8in/out) into a 2U fanless box that now will hold 8 times more converters ... the 8XR only sampled to 192kHz. The ADA128 goes to 768kHz. That's just a start with what's wrong with your assumption.
from them talking on the video in the studio, thats the takeaway that i got..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty sure I heard them say it was a completely new design.
Not sure how they would get 128 channels of any of the old tech into a 2u rack without starting a fire.
Lives for gear

Quote:
sweet...

.. 6k for the chassis, and around 2600 US for each I/O card .. so 16 I/O is 16400 ..

That's why it's called the dream...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Since MH was mentioned I would like to say that...

I use MH 3D daily for recording and mixing. While they are overall very good, in terms of sound ADA-8XR is a level higher. In fact, ADA-8XR is was one of the best conversions I have ever heard.

I wonder how the ADA-128 sounds like.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

ADA-128 + Kii Three + Trinnov...

That's probably my dream monitoring setup.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless98 View Post
ADA-128 + Kii Three + Trinnov...

That's probably my dream monitoring setup.
FWIW quite a few of us Kii owners have sold our Trinnovs since they added internal EQ/filter correction to the Kii DSP. As everything above 1K is as flat as a pancake the filters and 8 EQ bands go along way when sorting the low end out.

So your dream setup might be a little cheaper than you thought :¬)

I'd love an 8XR!
Lives for gear

Quote:
sweet...

Each i/o card is 8 channels, playa. So the cost for 16 channels is substantially less than what you wrote. Brand new design too on the whole thing. You're not properly informed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FINALLY!!!!!!!

If this thing had come out 4-5 years ago I would have totally bought it. Their first original converter design since 2007.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Each i/o card is 8 channels, playa. So the cost for 16 channels is substantially less than what you wrote. Brand new design too on the whole thing. You're not properly informed.
that was what I got from the video ..2300 for i/o cards each, 8 channels in and out .. plus tax playa so yea maybe I was a tad bit off in my above assessment - but it was said from there lips, did you watch it playa the 4 squares?

yes obviously it's a new design ..with the "same classic converters that you know and love"
they said the word "same" a bunch.. "same great conversion" "new" clock ..
Lives for gear

Quote:
that was what I got from the video playa - so they were not clear to me, did you watch it playa?

they said the word "same" a bunch.. "same great conversion" "new" clock .. but I got no skin in this game buddy, so feel free to back off

thanks
In the long video they do say that these are a new converter design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
In the long video they do say that these are a new converter design.

well I guess I missed that - sorry
once again I am not bashing this product, Im sure its awesome nevertheless
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Out of sheer curiosity:

Is there any word on specs on this unit?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Will these converters make my MP3s sound more 24/bit wav?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismtheory View Post
Will these converters make my MP3s sound more 24/bit wav?
No, but they will make your wav files not sound like mp3's
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by planck View Post

I wonder how the ADA-128 sounds like.
I would like to know too.

Another question for me is, when will they release products like Lyra with this new design.... (Maybe years?)
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by maira View Post
I would like to know too.

Another question for me is, when will they release products like Lyra with this new design.... (Maybe years?)
Don't even bother waiting for anything Prism related. They just updated the aesthetics of their Lyra interfaces after yeeeeeeaaaars. For them to do any further changes, I wouldn't be surprised if they take 5-10 years to do anything further.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

What is the issue with the sound of Lyra?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear