The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
80s & 90s Cassette Tapes (IR's)! OUT NOW!
Old 21st October 2020
SamplesLoops 80s & 90s Cassette Tapes (IR's)! OUT NOW!

Our new product, the "80s & 90s CASSETTE TAPE (IR's)" is out now!

"Magical Room" is a new option to get this original and real vintage sound. We record and sample different kind of instruments and sounds in our different vintage supports. We are starting so it would be great for us to visit our web and check our releases.

This is an unique release! I found in an old shed many cassette tapes that were saved and forgotten from the 90s and 80s days, so i decided to take them and sample some for you.

It was an amazing experience with an incredible and nostalgic result, excited because i have managed to take the exact sound of these tapes. With this pack you will achieve the real sound of the 80s and 90s cassette tape times!

Every tape sounds different, because the brand, material, the antiquity, the times it have been recorded, some of them were quite damaged because the time passage, etc. Every tape has its own magic.

You'll find different brands as BASF, TDK, Sony, AGFA, Pioneer and Maxell!

I also sampled for each cassette tape, the real tape recording noises preserving the noise ratio at the time of recording and keep the realistic sound of them, some had more noise than others.

As a bonus, i scanned each cassette tape image and related them to the impulse response file, so you will know exactly which tape are you using!

IMPORTANT!: Use 0% Dry and 100% Wet in your convolution or cabinet software!!
I recommend to experience mixing the IR's with some wow and flutter and distortion effects to give realism!

Enjoy it! And it would be amazing sharing it on your social media and tag us if you liked it and used it in your productions.

GET IT NOW!: https://gum.co/jewqD

------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL FULL BUNDLE WITH 50% OFF AVAILABLE!

All products released to date, with a 50% discount!!

GET IT NOW!: https://gum.co/lixDl

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOLLOW US on INSTAGRAM

https://www.instagram.com/magicalroom.art/

Magical Room!
Old 22nd October 2020
Gear Addict

Some interesting tones!
Old 22nd October 2020
Gear Addict

Always great stuff!
Old 22nd October 2020
Lives for gear

My response was to buy this on impulse.
Old 22nd October 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
Some interesting tones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm sounds View Post
Always great stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
My response was to buy this on impulse.
Thanks guys for your comments! it's the best fuel to keep creating.
Old 22nd October 2020
Here for the gear

What is this, a vst plugin? Samples of tape noise/static?
Thanks in advance
Old 22nd October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenskymusic View Post
What is this, a vst plugin? Samples of tape noise/static?
Thanks in advance
You will find 10 .wav files, with an impulse sound (it sounds like a click). You have to open or drag those audio files to a convolution or cabinet VST applied in your track (I have a free VST called Cabinet). It will replicate the linear characteristics of the gear, tape, etc... to your track.

This pack also brings tape noise samples for each cassette tape, preserving each tape noise ratio... some of those tapes were noisier than others. I personally think and like to add in the back to give a real cassette tape sound.

I hope it helped you!
Old 22nd October 2020
Here for the gear

Wow, what a coincidence. I've been playing around with IR-s recently for some lo-fi stuff and I was just wondering whether there are any good cassette tape IR-s out there and now I stumbled upon this little thing. Good price too. And it's cool that you included noise samples too. I'm gonna have fun with this one.
Old 22nd October 2020
Gear Addict
Do they work with with the IR uploader Pulse?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer View Post
Yes, any IR loader should work.
SamplesLoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanever View Post
Wow, what a coincidence. I've been playing around with IR-s recently for some lo-fi stuff and I was just wondering whether there are any good cassette tape IR-s out there and now I stumbled upon this little thing. Good price too. And it's cool that you included noise samples too. I'm gonna have fun with this one.
Thank you! I hope you get nice retro tracks, show us the result! Would be great
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer View Post
Yes! I personally use Fog Convolver, but i also tried on Cabinet, a free vst. The most important thing is that you have the signal 100% wet! And as i recommended before, try adding some wow & flutter, distortion and compression to give more realism.
Old 22nd October 2020
Lives for gear

Hi, I recently bought a couple of your tape IRs and for some reason when I load them up I get crazy pre-ringing, am I missing something?
(using logic space designer & also izotope trash - same problem..)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
Hi, I recently bought a couple of your tape IRs and for some reason when I load them up I get crazy pre-ringing, am I missing something?
Put the Mix fader 100% wet!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
(using logic space designer & also iZotope Trash - same problem..)
Put the Mix fader 100% wet!
Yeah I use impulses regularly and have checked all settings like that. Will post examples
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

instabuy!

thanks! love the sound!
Old 4 weeks ago
Wow, definitely sounds like cassette tapes. Nice work
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here (studer IR but happens with all).

Cheers

D
Attached Files
File Type: aif IR OFF.aif (2.26 MB, 22 views) File Type: aif IR ON.aif (2.25 MB, 17 views)
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienaircraft View Post
instabuy!

thanks! love the sound!
Thanks for your support! Hope you enjoy using them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncore View Post
Wow, definitely sounds like cassette tapes. Nice work
Thanks bro, was a nice and nostalgic finding
Quote:
Here (studer IR but happens with all).

Cheers

D
I see, i'm not the creator of those Studer IR's, but i would try moving the IR start a bit earlier, but just a little bit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see, i'm not the creator of those Studer IR's, but i would try moving the IR start a bit earlier, but just a little bit.
Roger that. D
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Someone stop me from buying this . . . I already have numerous 'cassette' plugins and guitar pedals . . .
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Damn . . . too late, I couldn't resist . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post
Damn . . . too late, I couldn't resit . . .
I know how it feels... thanks bro, enjoy it
Quote:
Hey I saw the dev point out that these are not his IRs, but just out of curiosity, would it even be possible for IRs themselves to cause pre ringing? After all IRs are just static .wav files, but pre-ringing is the result of phase manipulation that has been applied by some processor, generally a linear phase eq.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Short answer yes. Technically it's not the same pre ringing it's actually more like a delay. If the impulse has some quiet signal and then a few ms later has a full amplitude signal it will sound like pre ringing followed by a delayed full signal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Right that makes sense, but ya technically that's not pre ringing. In this case, I think the Studer IR is most likely the Past To Future Studer IR, although that's a guess it might be a different IR, but I actually have that Past To Future Studer IR set and they don't look like they could possibly be the source of that type of delay artifact. The main transient occurs right at zero milliseconds of the file.

Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackbout View Post
The main transient occurs right at zero milliseconds of the file.
Shouldn't a waveform have time (even if just a few samples) to rise from 0dB to the transient peak, maybe that's the issue, if a waveform comes barrelling in from 0dB to XdB then you will always get a click . . . maybe that's causing the issue ?

EDIT - just looked at the high res of your image, it looks as though it does jump from 0dB to the first peak.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Rookie here. Never heard of a tape IR. I thought it was only useful for reverb.

How exactly would this be different from a tape plugin? (Besides the lack of controls to fine tune the results)

Or in other words, if tape IRs are accurate wouldnโ€™t that be the preferred way to truly emulate tape rather than through a plugin running an algorithm.

Last edited by Canadian_Farmer; 4 weeks ago at 05:05 AM.. Reason: Typos
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear