The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
80s & 90s Cassette Tapes (IR's)! OUT NOW!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Farmer View Post
Rookie here. Never heard of a tape IR. I thought it was only useful for reverb.

How exactly would this be different from a tape plugin? (Besides the lack of controls to fine tune the results)

Or in other words, if tape IRs are accurate wouldn’t that be the preferred way to truly emulate tape rather than through a plugin running an algorithm.
I think are different things, i record and master tracks with real tapes here, and i absolutely prefer the IR's to get the cassette tapes tone than a plugin, i can't find nothing closer than this, but to give realism i like to add plugins that emulates wow & flutter, tape compression, tape distortion, chorus, and others. I also like to use the noise samples, because most of the cassette tapes are quite noisy in the back, so it gives a closer sound.

I think the interesting thing of this pack is the varied tones you can get of those real old tapes.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Farmer View Post
Rookie here. Never heard of a tape IR. I thought it was only useful for reverb.

How exactly would this be different from a tape plugin? (Besides the lack of controls to fine tune the results)

Or in other words, if tape IRs are accurate wouldn’t that be the preferred way to truly emulate tape rather than through a plugin running an algorithm.
Nah, you can record impulses of nearly any gear. Reverbs and guitar cabinets are probably the most popular applications of convolution in audio, but its usefulness is not limited to that. I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, convolution allows you to capture easily and very accurately the tonal characteristics of gear, something which I presume is much more hard to achieve algorithmically because of the complexities involved. The donwside is that IR-s are static and your sound will always be affected pretty much the same way every time you use an impulse. And there's only one setting per impulse (though there are more complex implementations of convolution technology around, see Acustica Audio). Plugins on the other hand try to emulate the non-linear behaviour of gear, give you control over a range of parameters etc. So in my opinion it's not either-or thing. Both have their uses and both are fun to use.
Gear Head

Thanks guys for explaining. I’ll have to try these out today!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Just got them. These sound really good.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer View Post
Just got them. These sound really good.
Thank you! Let's make some music. Enjoy!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

These IRs are really good, and the tape noises too - thank you for your work!

I am producing (text, music, mixing) radio plays (a popular thing here in germany), not the pretend-to-be-realistic-plays, but in a way "experimental", and for my plays I find the rather untreated sound of speaking voices boring, so I always treat them. Sometimes heavily and in an obvious ways, sometimes more or less hearable only when A/B.
I have quite a lot of tools, ways, IRs and so on to treat them, but since I really love the sound of treated speaking voices, I am always looking for new possibilities, and these IR's are really really useful for that. Great!
I would love to hear more from you.

For those interested:
for an IR player I can recommend Fog Convolver from AudioThing. It is easy to use, has very good features, and comes with quite a lot interesting and very usable IRs - among them: microphones and speakers. And according to the AT support, there will be a quite big update soon.
And to have these tape noise combined and triggered by a source, try Texture from Devious Machines. It makes this combining and triggering very easy and has lot of great features.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwuw View Post
These IRs are really good, and the tape noises too - thank you for your work!

I am producing (text, music, mixing) radio plays (a popular thing here in germany), not the pretend-to-be-realistic-plays, but in a way "experimental", and for my plays I find the rather untreated sound of speaking voices boring, so I always treat them. Sometimes heavily and in an obvious ways, sometimes more or less hearable only when A/B.
I have quite a lot of tools, ways, IRs and so on to treat them, but since I really love the sound of treated speaking voices, I am always looking for new possibilities, and these IR's are really really useful for that. Great!
I would love to hear more from you.

For those interested:
for an IR player I can recommend Fog Convolver from AudioThing. It is easy to use, has very good features, and comes with quite a lot interesting and very usable IRs - among them: microphones and speakers. And according to the AT support, there will be a quite big update soon.
And to have these tape noise combined and triggered by a source, try Texture from Devious Machines. It makes this combining and triggering very easy and has lot of great features.
Thank you very much for your comment! I use them not only in music production, used them for some sound effects on videoclips. Also the CRT TV impulse responses i made some time ago.
I also use Fog Convolver, it's my favorite software for that!

Enjoy it!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I've had a chance to play around with these IRs a little and they're really fun. Definitely benefits from adding a tape plugin as well to add some wow/flutter but they do sound really cool.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTLAVGH View Post
I've had a chance to play around with these IRs a little and they're really fun. Definitely benefits from adding a tape plugin as well to add some wow/flutter but they do sound really cool.
I'm glad you are using them, try adding some tape noise too, you'll get a more realistic cassette tape aesthetic
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear