Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More - Page 106 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Can’t help notice the irony of the situation so much talk on the subjective quality of the club sim yet no one bothered to listen the mix and hear if there are actually problems with it or not...
Lives for gear

Haha. I’m sure there would be a similar discussion if one of the rooms was an untreated home studio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircuit View Post
Can’t help notice the irony of the situation so much talk on the subjective quality of the club sim yet no one bothered to listen the mix and hear if there are actually problems with it or not...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Saw a update for the installer and updated and version 2.3.2 is not working with Big Sur.

2.3.1 is working fine with no issues I’ve encountered.

I know at least 10 people with M1 computers looking to use VSX with Logic alone. Hopefully there's a fix soon.

If anyone is in dire straits with a new Mac in the meanwhile until there's a fix, PM me and I can inform you how to hack around this issue
Attached Thumbnails
Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More-dc03cc38-b70e-4eab-b9ac-2f58cc8a205f.jpg  

Last edited by DigitalDrugLord; 5 days ago at 05:11 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Anyone think this might get a discount for Black Friday??
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircuit View Post
I don't think anyone's saying the club emulation can't help reveal problems, it just sounds nothing like what people that know what a good club sounds like were expecting and hopefully it can be improved in the future.

When impeccably produced music all sounds terrible the issue is the emulation, not the music.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Anyone think this might get a discount for Black Friday??
Very unlikely. It just came out a month and a half ago and no one can keep it in stock because it is selling out so quickly.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I don't think anyone's saying the club emulation can't help reveal problems, it just sounds nothing like what people that know what a good club sounds like were expecting and hopefully it can be improved in the future.

When impeccably produced music all sounds terrible the issue is the emulation, not the music.
Just took the plunge. Just moved to a new place and won’t have a decent sounding room for quite a while. Looking forward to seeing how my Amphion monitors sound in comparison to the Amphion emulation.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I've done 3 VSX binge mixes in a row and I am sparing with sticking to VSX and a laptop through the holidays.. I intend on sparing at least 50 mixes for a mix club I belong to (will not be flooding them here) while everything is in downtime to the new year. I have a friend that asked me about the Funky Junk 3202 for the API sound.. I told him Slate VCC does a better job on that sound.. So to demonstrate for that discussion I did this one 100% ITB (no hybrid) with Slate VCC US-A, VSX (NRG as the main room) and my new best buddy the M1 Mackbook Air: https://digitaldruglord.s3.amazonaws...hasque_DDL.wav

Source tracks: https://cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk/#GeometriaChicken

My M1xathon continues thanks.

Last edited by DigitalDrugLord; 5 days ago at 09:17 AM..
Gear Maniac

Well, in that case, I have a confession to make. I have been mixing and mastering pretty much exclusively in the club sim, with the heavy bass preset. The results are spectacular. Mixing mostly ITB, mastering mainly hardware. I'm using Cubase 11 with the monitor section's external input feeding me references from Tidal etc. I have also started using the Tonal Balance Control (2) once again, it works perfect with this combo. Just finished a whole album Big Band mix/master, been mixing several pop songs. Keeps getting better and better. I don't even bother swithing to studio modes any more. I do check bypassing the whole sim alltogether, as well as the occasional car/home systems check. It's always spot on, which amazes me.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Now that we are starting to go back into another lockdown mode .... oh man ... exhausting ...

I've had to spend much more time at Home ... and with VSX.

I am now starting to become 'One' with VSX [and headphones in general].

I've been Mastering several different Tracks from a variety of Projects [all kinds of Styles] and
when I do playbacks on Studio Monitors, along with other playback devices ... very little, if any, surprises.

This is remarkable [for me], as I have never been able to get anything decent on regular phones before [nothing I liked].

The first, big hurdle was to get at the 'right' playback level in the VSX phones to start with.

I need to be able to work for many hours a day, without blowing up me ears ... but at sufficient level to get an accurate spectral curve response.

I have avoided any 'correction' eq for reason. Getting the volume right is enough of a variable.

With that getting better define in my playback level setting, the decision I'm making are translating across to others systems [Yeah].

Still ... I do miss working with Studio Monitors ... even if for the ability to walk around my Room, or listen from outside the door.

Hopefully my continued VSX efforts will continue to refine my work.

Given the current environment ... this was probably the best purchase of the past months.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Exactly. I would want to tune my tracks to a full club, not an empty one. I’ve never heard a good sounding empty club.
I also like the idea of an outdoor festival on Funktion One or Void. That would be cool ������
I think many ppl are missing the point with VSX.

It’s not meant to sound good!
It’s not intended for us to have a few drinks, throw shapes on the dance floor, or enjoy the experience of listening in a club, in any way (at least I hope not).

No it actually sounds pretty bad, but it’s saying hear me, I sound link a full range system in a room like this. And that is so useful. Get it sounding like not a mess here, and you’re much closer to finished.

I always used to check new mixes in empty clubs before playing them that night, and it’s really revealing once you understand what that room is telling you.
I’ve done this in clubs all over the world, including room 1 in Fabric in UK, which is probably one of the better rooms (altho I think one of the best sounding clubs I ever heard was in ljubljana in Slovenia).

If it works on slates club then I’d bet a mix would work on most club systems the world over. Regardless if there’s 5 ppl in the room or 1000. It’s not about hearing back a good sound from the emulations, it’s understanding what the emulation is telling you, and once you get that, it becomes so simple to mix.

VSX is like putting in the inflatable barriers in to the mixing bowling alley. And with each extra room you add as a reference, it adds another inflatable to the alley, until you basically just put the ball on the ground and it bowls itself to hit centre pin. It’s serious cheat mode for mixing I think, once you know what it’s saying. Thanks Steven!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Add me to the list of people who've done their best mix ever with these headphones, despite the fact that I still don't really love listening in the spaces - it is a bit like witchcraft, as it feels like I'm just doing what I usually do to mix in terms of balancing/EQ/compression, but then when I listen on anything else it's like there's a ton more separation, space and depth. Obviously I'm hearing more, and more to the point I'm trusting what I'm hearing, so I'm making more confident and accurately informed choices. I think before I was correcting what wasn't a problem, and missing what was - for example I've been able to catch some resonant vocal frequencies, and then sculpt the sound more confidently, and it's given them a whole new level of clarity. Only one mix down but I'm happy I bought them so far.

Last edited by oboemaroni; 5 days ago at 12:59 PM..
Gear Nut

I know, right? And yet some people focus on how they sound instead of what they reveal
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboemaroni View Post
Add me to the list of people who've done their best mix ever with these headphones, despite the fact that I still don't really love listening in the spaces - it is a bit like witchcraft, as it feels like I'm just doing what I usually do to mix in terms of balancing/EQ/compression, but then when I listen on anything else it's like there's a ton more separation, space and depth. Obviously I'm hearing more, and more to the point I'm trusting what I'm hearing, so I'm making more confident and accurately informed choices. I think before I was correcting what wasn't a problem, and missing what was - for example I've been able to catch some resonant vocal frequencies, and then sculpt the sound more confidently, and it's given them a whole new level of clarity. Only one mix down but I'm happy I bought them so far.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

What are the Mac systemwide options that allow you to only apply the plugin to a specific set of output channels (ie Out 3-4, Phones 1-2, whatever)?

Using demos, I don't see this functionality in SoundSource. I do see it in AudioHijack, but it seems like I always have to record the audio to be able to use it this way? Which I guess just keeps using hard drive space in the background...

Any other alternatives? Thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Is there a page i can check for VSX updates?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboemaroni View Post
This is the true benefit of good (balanced/flat) monitoring; levels—relationships—in the mix are easier to set. Things seem to fall together and you find yourself using less eq/comp/saturation.

Poor monitoring usually results in muddy mixes, as people are fighting the wrong battle by using too much sat/eq/comp to get something to sit right, when in fact the right base level (with automation) would do the trick.

IMO anyway
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEcomo View Post
Is there a page i can check for VSX updates?
You'll get an email.
Gear Nut

Remove the recorder module from the AudioHijack template and you can properly route the audio without it recording to disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWollaert View Post
What are the Mac systemwide options that allow you to only apply the plugin to a specific set of output channels (ie Out 3-4, Phones 1-2, whatever)?

Using demos, I don't see this functionality in SoundSource. I do see it in AudioHijack, but it seems like I always have to record the audio to be able to use it this way? Which I guess just keeps using hard drive space in the background...

Any other alternatives? Thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I swear the mixes I've been doing has only been using VSX. It really has me looking at my Hedd Type 07's like do I really need them? I'm in an untreated living room and even with Sonarworks I still struggled hittin the mix without going back and forth. I will still keep my Avantone Mixcubes but I think I can safely say I will downgrade my monitors.

Starting off the Archon room was my favorite but I've been using NRG a lot more and coming out with better results using the nearfield. Can't wait for that update. Not trying to sound like a damn commercial or anything but VSX is amazing.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

What room would you guy use to check for excessive sibilance in vocals (or other for that matter)?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrizzie View Post
safely say I will downgrade my monitors.
I was sitting here struggling on which path I should take to downgrade my environment and reading your post someone clicked the idea of what I know is the best move forward... I have 2 main listening areas, VSX killed 1 of them and my struggle was trying to figure out what to do.. I've decided to take my Trinnov Focals setup and move it to the Kii area and (while I hate to say this) kill the Kiis... the Focals allow me to play loudest without the limiter drama and constant service issues the Kiis have been giving me.. and VSX for me is as reliable as the Kiis will ever be for referencing... My friends all are in cheer of the demos I've been giving them of my VSX mixbinge...

I have to be a man here and do what I know must be done.. It's tough but I was having a discussion about some of the latest gear hitting this year and relating to when DJs were forced to learn Serato when it hit... I feel I'm in an "adapt or die" moment... so.. I'm just going to stay loyal to the output quality I strive for and whatever protects that stays, whatever is redundant at this point, goes.

Last edited by DigitalDrugLord; 5 days ago at 09:02 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandybob View Post
What room would you guy use to check for excessive sibilance in vocals (or other for that matter)?
Car/Howie/Airpod are my goto for high freq annoyance.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evian View Post
The club room however is way too boomy, too reverby for what you would actually hear in big clubs in my humble opinion.
Big Clubs in Paris sounds like this when empty.. I do gigs and... balances (soundcheck) when they're empty..
When full.. Clothes and people suck reflexions out..

But Panam is not the best place to get a great accurate club experience.. Imho

PS: Late to the Party sorry..

Last edited by jsblack; 4 days ago at 03:37 AM..
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Big Clubs in Paris sounds like this when empty.. I do gigs and... balances when they're empty..
When full.. Clothes and people suck reflexions out..

But Panam is not the best place to get a great accurate club experience.. Imho

PS: Late to the Party sorry..
I think you're right. I guess I was expecting to hear a club where electronic mixes do get that 'in your face sound' like Altromondo Studios in Italy for example. However, it's a nice reminder that VSX is not meant to sound 'good', but 'good at revealing'.

An update to my impressions:

This is the second day I am using VSX now, and I just ago did a short mixing session in the Archon midfields as I feel that I am very comfortable with those when it comes to finding out where my sound 'is' compared to the reference track.

Result: The exported mixdown translated so well to the earbuds on my phone. My mix immediately showed what I was lacking before and that after only a short mixing test. I am crazy enthousiastic about how it makes me think about the sound. I make the right mixing decisions automatically.

My first-day negativity is steadily going away. The discomfort I experienced earlier is for the most part gone, with the help of @ SupremeFist .
Also the headphones don't seem so fragile as I felt they were on the day when I opened the box.

most importantly: I'm gonna keep it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evian View Post
I think you're right. I guess I was expecting to hear a club where electronic mixes do get that 'in your face sound' like Altromondo Studios in Italy for example. However, it's a nice reminder that VSX is not meant to sound 'good', but 'good at revealing'.

An update to my impressions:

This is the second day I am using VSX now, and I just ago did a short mixing session in the Archon midfields as I feel that I am very comfortable with those when it comes to finding out where my sound 'is' compared to the reference track.

Result: The exported mixdown translated so well to the earbuds on my phone. My mix immediately showed what I was lacking before and that after only a short mixing test. I am crazy enthousiastic about how it makes me think about the sound. I make the right mixing decisions automatically.

My first-day negativity is steadily going away. The discomfort I experienced earlier is for the most part gone, with the help of @ SupremeFist .
Also the headphones don't seem so fragile as I felt they were on the day when I opened the box.

most importantly: I'm gonna keep it!
Happy to help! And I feel the same way: with VSX I feel like I mix like I usually do except I have more decisiveness and the result is miles better. 🤘🏻
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

True story. My wife is my high frequency 'checker'. Too many years of ultra loud guitars have 'dulled' my perception of 6k+. It was the first time I gave her the VSX to listen and set to the Airpod simulation because that is what she is most familiar with. To my surprise, she did not change the level of the high shelf I gave her control over. So that was a huge win for me. BUT. To my shock. When she went to take off the VSX headphones she grabs the left side only and pulled them off her head. Needless to say I was horrified. I was like NOOOOO. Treat these like a newborn baby. Gently. With both hands. Slowly pulled both cups away from your ears and slowly remove them. Place them on this pillow on my desk and back away slowly Now that is the proper handling of my most valuable piece of studio gear
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I think VSX sounds amazing to be honest with you all. I really enjoy the sound of them. They might not be meant to sound good but they do sound good... They're just so interesting and captivating to listen to.

Alright, they're not ultimate visceral listening. But they're so damn clever that I love listening to Archon Nears and Fars for listening and it sounds WICKED like I love listening to music regardless of any kind of objective quality I might find in some proper hifi/audiophile headphones. Like my HD650s, which do sound great as they always have. But they lack that feeling of real bass.

If I want a more relaxing listening experience with VSX I turn the depth down to minimum. Then they feel less binaural and more like I've got a true stereo pair of cans on my head. But I usually use full, it seems to require no attention for me to fully enjoy the soundfield.

Archon Nears and Fars. Audiophile sometimes like when listening some sweet mixes the talented music lovers out there create for out listening pleasure.

Yeeee VSX!
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli View Post
I think many ppl are missing the point with VSX.

It’s not meant to sound good!
It’s not intended for us to have a few drinks, throw shapes on the dance floor, or enjoy the experience of listening in a club, in any way (at least I hope not).
The expectation of AirPods and a boombox are that it's not to sound good. But Funktion Ones?

Archon and NRG can still easily show issues with a mix, but professionally mixed reference tracks sound incredible, just as they probably should if someone was at the same club Slate modelled on a pre-pandemic Saturday night.

VSX is awesome overall, this is only meant to be constructive feedback. The club is still quite useful and I don't doubt it's highly accurate representation of the situation Slate modelled but given it's a huge selling point for anyone making electionic/hip-hop etc. a new emulation in v2 based on user feedback would be a welcomed edition.

A smaller less-roomy club environment could be an option too since the focus would be more on the sound from the speakers rather than being overwhelmed by reflections and reverb (closer to how the Archon Peloni's sound).

I'm also open-minded that like the electric car/SUV it could just take much longer to adjust to the emulation and I'll give it more of chance. I actually like it more than I initially did, it's just hard to shake the first impression especially after being floored by the Archon emulation.

Hopefully the new update finally comes and there'll be something new to discuss haha

Last edited by PitchSlap; 4 days ago at 02:20 AM..
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Exactly!

Just because a room ‘sounds good’ doesn’t mean it’s not revealing. Pretty sure the Archon and NRG rooms and systems were chosen for that exact reason.

As a purely electronic musician I’m hoping there’s going to be another option for checking the sound in a club or festival situation that isn’t an empty club! Hell, id even be producing in the club emulations if they also 'sounded good' rather than sounding empty.

Funktion 1 are hugely popular in clubs and festivals but are quite peculiar speakers. Great transient response but also ‘low resolution’ in that they can be easily congested in the midrange.

It’s probably a niche situation but would be a great option for future emulations if Slate is looking to add to the existing models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
The expectation of AirPods and a boombox are that it's not to sound good. But Funktion Ones?

Archon and NRG can still easily show issues with a mix, but professionally mixed reference tracks sound incredible, just as they probably should if someone was at the same club Slate modelled on a pre-pandemic Saturday night.

VSX is awesome overall, this is only meant to be constructive feedback. The club is still quite useful and I don't doubt it's highly accurate representation of the situation Slate modelled but given it's a huge selling point for anyone making electionic/hip-hop etc. a new emulation in v2 based on user feedback would be a welcomed edition.

A smaller less-roomy club environment could be an option too since the focus would be more on the sound from the speakers rather than being overwhelmed by reflections and reverb (closer to how the Archon Peloni's sound).

I'm also open-minded that like the electric car/SUV it could just take much longer to adjust to the emulation and I'll give it more of chance. I actually like it more than I initially did, it's just hard to shake the first impression especially after being floored by the Archon emulation.

Hopefully the new update finally comes and there'll be something new to discuss haha

Last edited by lowkey; 4 days ago at 03:53 AM..
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Brand spanking new here, and I came specifically to read up on this product. I have recently purchased the ML-1 and VMS-ONE. Oddly enough with the Black Friday sale, it was cheaper at my local store to buy them individually rather than in the bundle.

I'm also leaning very heavily into buying these headphones to compliment the VMS system and officially become a card-carrying member of the Cult of Slate. Seriously. I have the card. It's no good anymore, because I already used the serial number, but it's a card.

I'm intending to read all of the posts here (all 100+ pages), but there's one thing prompting this newbie to comment after 800 posts in:

Why are people arguing the usefulness of the product because already have a rig they trust? That seems to my newbie eyes as if you don't like school buses because you don't drive a school bus.

If we rewind all the way back to page 3, Mr. Slate said himself that not everyone is going to see the beauty in this. To each their own, as they say. Be happy that you're secure enough in your career that this doesn't fill a need for you. But if it doesn't apply, isn't it just best to move on?

This wouldn't even be a thing for me, if I didn't see the same person harping on it. But I know nothing about the interpersonal relationships here, and I'm just a hobbyist, so I'm going to shut my cakehole and keep reading. And buying. And collecting cards.

Incidentally, to those of you who own million dollar rigs - I hate you. I'm kidding. I'm jealous.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear