The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance releases The Bettermaker EQ232D
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Plugin Alliance releases The Bettermaker EQ232D

The Bettermaker EQ232D is a faithful plugin recreation of one of the most respected analog mastering EQs of the new millennium, developed by the Bettermaker team!

The original hardware Bettermaker EQ232P MKII on which it is based is renowned for delivering the lush, supple bottom and clear, smooth top end of the legendary Pultec EQs—but with a clean and modern twist that’s perfect for contemporary styles of Hip Hop, EDM, Pop, or even Metalcore.

This precisely modeled plugin version of Bettermaker’s instant classic mastering-grade EQ is no different. Like the analog original, it offers the incredible low and high-end shaping capabilities of the best passive EQ designs ever devised, along with the precision, detail, and features of a high-end 21st-century design.

At the heart of the Bettermaker EQ is the “P EQ” section, which recreates the classic curves and creative workflow of the iconic Pultec EQs, but with tremendous clean headroom, and without the extra grit or distortion of a vintage tube piece.

This blend of the best characteristics of old school and modern hardware EQs won the Bettermaker EQ232 fast fans with major producers and engineers like Mike Dean, Dave Pensado, Jaycen Joshua, Matt Schaeffer, Jimmy Douglass, Greg Wells, and Luca Pretolesi.

The EQ232 adds some additional features not found in the original Pultecs, like two wide-ranging semi-parametric bell filters, a flexible high pass filter, advanced mid-side processing, presets, A/B comparison options, and more.

Discover for yourself why the Bettermaker EQ is a contemporary classic, loved by some of the best engineers in the businesses for their big clean bottom, clear and soaring top end, and flexible, intuitive workflow.

FEATURES
Developed by the original Bettermaker team!
5 EQ filters on each channel, including 2 classic Pultec sections, 2 highpass filters, and 4 parametric filters with wide frequency ranges.
Passive “P EQ” section comprised of shelving filters based on legendary Pultec EQ filters, including separate boost and attenuation knobs.
24dB/Oct highpass filter
2 Parametric filters per channel cover frequencies from 15Hz to 15kHz.
Lots of presets to kick start your workflow, including 4 exclusive mastering and mix buss presets made by Luca Pretolesi of Studio DMI
Stereo, Dual Mono, M/S modes
Painstaking modeled on one of the most trusted EQ brands in the world of professional mastering with an amazing feature set, outstanding sound, and an intuitive interface.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...er_eq232d.html

Last edited by Ribbonmicguy; 15th September 2020 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Add image link
Old 15th September 2020
Old 15th September 2020
Been waiting for this one gonna test it tomorrow morning
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

First EQ I get excited about after trying it. Glad I am subscribed. Looking forward to throw it into mixes too because why not?!
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

And yet another expensive digital EQ that i nulled to -120db with crave EQ.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Nut

Looks good. How is pluginalliance able to pump out all these plugins? Brainworx does them all I think?
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
hows that a problem
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazFromtheManor View Post
hows that a problem
It's actually great. But makes me wonder if anyone needs another EQ.

I have not found a Vst EQ yet that i could not match with ProQ or Crave or whatever is your weapon of choice.

I'm Blind testing it now on sources, and it's impossible for me to find a real difference. If there is, then it's not better or worse. And i'm doing 8-15db boosts.

Looks to me like a branded EQ with cool GUI (which is much harder to operate than (ProQ/Crave)

Maybe you guys have better ears, but if i flip the phase and the result is silence, then i'm hard pressed to believe there is any significant difference.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
i'm hard pressed to believe there is any significant difference.
How can you fail to see difference in workflow?

These days any seasoned ITB mixer is aware that pretty much every plugin EQ is same (more or less). You pick right one that will do job for you. That simple.

Specific plugin curve, their specific Q behavior is different from plugin to plugin albeit all of these can be recreated with ProQ or DMG Equlibrium or something else.

Workflow example - I can't work with Pro-Q. It's too modern GUI for me. So i like to pick one which refer to hardware appearance with interface. Very easy because there's a lot of these. We are all different and to each their own.

By now - If you are spending your time nulling every darn EQ plugin which is released all I can say to you - I envy you for having time to do that.

By the way PluginAlliance TMT which is mostly a gimmick - can do some processing not found in majority of other EQs. Yes it will adjust phase and just this or just that but my point is - all these tools offer some sort of workflow.

Pick one and make music.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
I was unable to articulate my thoughts but yes, it's a workflow thing
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post

These days any seasoned ITB mixer is aware that pretty much every plugin EQ is same (more or less). You pick right one that will do job for you. That simple.

Example - I can't work with Pro-Q. It's too modern GUI for me. So i like to pick one which refer to hardware appearance with interface. Very easy because there's a lot of these. We are all different and to each their own.

By now - If you are spending your time nulling every darn EQ plugin which is released all I can say to you - I envy you for having time to do that.

By the way PluginAlliance TMT which is mostly a gimmick - can do some processing not found in majority of other EQs. Yes it will adjust phase and just this or just that but my point is - all these tools offer some sort of workflow.

Pick one and make music.

That is exactly my point!
If they all sound the same, how many different super expensive GUI people need ?
And i see the difference in workflow as i even commented on it.
That is why i use only one EQ that is the most flexible and fastest.

I'm doing these blind tests so that i'm not fooled into buying something. But i'm always on the lookout for good sounding tools.
It's 10 minutes to do it and i don't earn this much money in 10 minutes so it really worths it.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Truth be told, the hardware is known to be super clean.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbeatz View Post
Looks good. How is pluginalliance able to pump out all these plugins? Brainworx does them all I think?
Plugin Alliance is a group of developers. Brainworx is one of them.

This does not seem to be a bx release. As far as I know, sometimes the brands do the emulation in house, sometimes they use developers that does other stuff for Plugin Alliance.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Head

Interesting...
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
If they all sound the same, how many different super expensive GUI people need ?
You must realize you're not single person existing in ITB business. What you need can be pretty useless to someone else or vice versa. That doesn't mean you are right or other way around.

Beside that, as long as there's market for it - companies will produce products that people will buy.

Quote:
For you. And that's ok. Remember people are different. Everyone is entitled to their own choice, workflow, hearing sensibilities, money they can spend etc.

Quote:
I'm doing these blind tests so that i'm not fooled into buying something. But i'm always on the lookout for good sounding tools.
It's 10 minutes to do it and i don't earn this much money in 10 minutes so it really worths it.
Ok then. Take my friendly advice. EQ plugins these days are at the top of their technological reach (in lack of finding better or more appropriate words). By now you already know that and you know how they work and this will not change anytime soon.

10 minutes is A LOT of time in my view. Aggregate that with monthly EQ releases. You can spend your time better. In fact staring at the ceiling for 10 minutes and even pretending that you meditate is far more usable for your brain and ears then staring at the screen and comparing EQ curves and nulling them (this is my personal view not fact).

For that particular reason (nulling EQ releases) - return here some 3-4 years later, pretty sure that new "tech" or next bat**** will be here. Like UAD with ARM processors or whatever, no worries companies will came up with next marketing blurb, some light technology ****, or sub atom modeling and we suckers we will eat it. Maybe it will be improvement, maybe not. Until that make music.

Old 15th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbeatz View Post
This isn’t done by brainworx. Apparently it was developed by the same team that did the hardware.

> Developed by the original Bettermaker team!
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Addict

Nothing wrong with pointing out that all these 'analog modeled' EQ plugins are not pushing the technology forward in any way IMO. It makes sense that companies like PA have to keep adding value to the sub and churning out similar-sounding EQs is certainly one way to do it. If you love the GUI / workflow than knock yourself out, that doesn't change the fact that it isn't necessarily a good value for people that already own multiple digital IIR EQs with the exact same underlying tech.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Head

This is a really impressive sounding eq. Very clean and extremely detailed. You dont lose any depth perception and actually its enhanced. Frankly speaking the best sounding eq from PA yet. I was a big fan of the Brainworx but this really really nice. There are some hard choices to make when picking an eq in the box nowadays, this workflow makes it a easier.
Old 15th September 2020
M2E
Lives for gear

I can't demo it. Won't let me. Maybe a good thing.

LOL...Marc
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu Fontaine View Post
This is a really impressive sounding eq. Very clean and extremely detailed. You dont lose any depth perception and actually its enhanced. Frankly speaking the best sounding eq from PA yet. I was a big fan of the Brainworx but this really really nice. There are some hard choices to make when picking an eq in the box nowadays, this workflow makes it a easier.
What?! An actual comment on its sound?!
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Super interesting! But I really hope that you cannot null Empirical Labs Big Freq because then I cannot trust my ears no more because that thing DO sound beter than the rest of the bunch.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
What?! An actual comment on its sound?!
Wtf??
I have reported this guy to the mods!!!!!
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Head

And I just got my self the Weiss EQ1 from Softube.... probably don’t need another EQ
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeUppsala View Post
Super interesting! But I really hope that you cannot null Empirical Labs Big Freq because then I cannot trust my ears no more because that thing DO sound beter than the rest of the bunch.
Empirical Labs is proud to announce the Big FrEQ Plugin
It's on the page before this, Gearslutz soemhow can't link to the proper post in that thread !??
Bottom line: yeah i did match it.

(I've since messed around with the suggested narrow boosts, but still, matched to almost perfection. It's crazy cause i really fooled myself into thinking it sounds better until i did the blind test.)
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Empirical Labs is proud to announce the Big FrEQ Plugin
It's on the page before this, Gearslutz soemhow can't link to the proper post in that thread !??
Bottom line: yeah i did match it.

(I've since messed around with the suggested narrow boosts, but still, matched to almost perfection. It's crazy cause i really fooled myself into thinking it sounds better until i did the blind test.)
My ears hate you!!
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That is exactly my point!
And i see the difference in workflow as i even commented on it.

Try your best for matching Softube Weiss-ds1, you will have hard time even getting anything near to that creamy top end. And Weiss is digital only. 🙂

Also Slate Custom Series EQ.
Old 15th September 2020
much better than the amek eq
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac
It's funny that I'm demoing this eq now and to me, it doesn't sound just like the other eqs including my Softube EQ1. It sounds different to my ears. In fact, I'm going out in left field and may actually use it to replace my Zinaptiq Intensity which is too heavy for my system. I like what it does alot.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblock View Post
It's funny that I'm demoing this eq now and to me, it doesn't sound just like the other eqs including my Softube EQ1. It sounds different to my ears. In fact, I'm going out in left field and may actually use it to replace my Zinaptiq Intensity which is too heavy for my system. I like what it does alot.
Shh man you don't have to disclose the secret tools. Zynaptics is one of them.
Lets keep it hidden..
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
Nothing wrong with pointing out that all these 'analog modeled' EQ plugins are not pushing the technology forward in any way IMO. It makes sense that companies like PA have to keep adding value to the sub and churning out similar-sounding EQs is certainly one way to do it. If you love the GUI / workflow than knock yourself out, that doesn't change the fact that it isn't necessarily a good value for people that already own multiple digital IIR EQs with the exact same underlying tech.
I think it would also be much acceptable if companies were more honest about what they are doing. But brands like PA keep selling these at $200+ retail (obviously, less /w sales, but still) with blablablabla circuit modelled analog amazing sound marketing language when it's just some IIR curves with maybe a bit of soft clipping. It feels very dishonest to me, especially since many beginners and non-technically minded people will not be aware of what they are really getting on a technical level.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear