The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance releases The Bettermaker EQ232D
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Haven’t tried the plugin, but I had the hardware for a couple of years. It sounded clean and punchy, with a slight hint of analog goodness.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

I tested it on an album mix and it made its way in the mixbus replacing UAD Pultec EQP1A.

The interface is so overwhelming and unintuitive for a plugin.

The sound though, is surprisingly good. I was very underwhelmed with AMEK200. This one feels a little like izotope vintage EQ, but the parametric section helps me to use less eq/plugins on the mixbus.

The setting I had was about 1.0 in the low/high pultec section and 1.0 on the parametric mid. I don't know if 1.0 translates to 1dB (and I didn't go into analytical mode to check) but the sound feels more than a dB.

This has the potential of replacing Dangerous BAX as well.

I subscribed to PA so this is a nice addition.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

It was hard to not DEMO this plugin, as I've watch demo videos the past years [hardware].

With already a slew of Pultecs, Digital, and Emulation EQ's ... I Demo'd it out on several Mastering Sessions.

I liked the sound .... AND, the workflow. Could I 'replicate' it ... probably [didn't really overly try] ... hard to ignore the smooth workflow ...
and the sonics.

Purchased.

Now please .... NO more EQ's ! I mean it.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post

Now please .... NO more EQ's ! I mean it.
Well, the Knif Soma is still on the list and I'm really looking forward to that one.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Well, the Knif Soma is still on the list and I'm really looking forward to that one.
It is ??

I do like the Soma.

oh well
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
I can't fathom how some of y'all are jumping on this person's case for posting his opinions and findings. Taking about too much time on his hands? Are u serious? How long do you think it too him to test it and how many of yeah test it as well are you wasting your valuable time testing it too. Is it because his testing isn't too your standards? I feel some people on gs just pack up to look cool with a smart remark on groups.

I swear sometimes you guys act like you have stock in these companies. But In fairness some of these comments are probably from some 15 year old bedroom producer using a behringer usb mic and a 99 dollar focusrite interface swearing his ears and statements are the gospel.
Many people in the engineering community (even veterans) get freaked out by any sort of objective, scientific testing because they are scared that'll discredit their "mojo" and "golden ears" (which is of course pretty ironic for a profession with the word "engineer" in it). This is also evident when you have HW vs. SW threads that span hundred of pages full of people with "golden ears" making grand subjective proclamations but actual blind tests in the comparison forum get like five replies.

Of course, engineering ultimately cannot be broken down to positivist data but I think it's good to know when are you subject to psychological bias and placebo and when you aren't ... And as soon as devs will no longer get away with overselling products that rely more on bias (analogz modelled!!!!) than actual sound (IIR EQs, static waveshapers etc.) that'll result in better tools for everyone.
Old 17th September 2020
M2E
Lives for gear

For some reason the plugin won't let me demo it.
"Activation Server did not respond".
I'll hit up PA.

Thanks, Marc
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Addict

I’ve had access to this for about 3 months by way of an advanced testing period and wanted to tell my friends how amazing this plugin EQ is but couldn’t speak about it. I’m happy to see this has finally posted to GS, a fellow member told me to check out this thread and I was able to finally tell him my impressions of it.

I had a tough muddy religious sermon mix job that this plugin saved that cut through everything and enabled a polished result I couldn’t get with any of the gear I have or other plugin collections.

From my experience, this plugin is worth a try and I can’t think of the words that can replace downloading a trial (if any) and tinkering with it.

Will be great to read others impressions
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbonmicguy View Post

This has the potential of replacing Dangerous BAX as well.
Note: I have a hardware BAX in my rig and this is the only plugin (or anything for my use-cases) where I’ve said the same statement. The Bax for me serves as a hard setting pass-through on my mixing rack but in terms of utility, I agree.
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

And the price is again ridiculous!
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

I cannot pinpoint in technical terms how great I think this emu is at 'massaging' the high frequencies on the 2-buss. There seems to be some softening and sheen happening, but without 'saturation' artifacts like weird 'sizzle'.

Glad I'm a sub because PA might get my money for the high shelf alone!
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

I compared it to my much beloved fab Q3 and noiseash rule few pulteq eq.

I liked the sound I got!

But when you think about it I had to smile.

The simulation of a hardware analog eq which has a digital control surface for instant recall....

So with the plugin you have the simulated instand recall.... 😂🍻

Whatever. I like it. Have when it is for 29 in half a year...
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
I compared it to my much beloved fab Q3 and noiseash rule few pulteq eq.

I liked the sound I got!

But when you think about it I had to smile.

The simulation of a hardware analog eq which has a digital control surface for instant recall....

So with the plugin you have the simulated instand recall.... 😂🍻

Whatever. I like it. Have when it is for 29 in half a year...
The instant recall emulation on the plugin is perfect.

They really nailed this characteristic of the hardware.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
I cannot pinpoint in technical terms how great I think this emu is at 'massaging' the high frequencies on the 2-buss. There seems to be some softening and sheen happening, but without 'saturation' artifacts like weird 'sizzle'.

Glad I'm a sub because PA might get my money for the high shelf alone!
Me too. This has me thinking of the best way to spend my $250 voucher now (when the sales are on of course). If they do same again I'll more than likely sub another year.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Me too. This has me thinking of the best way to spend my $250 voucher now (when the sales are on of course). If they do same again I'll more than likely sub another year.
Right now I have the NEOLD and Phil's Cascade on the list for perpetual license list with my sub voucher.

So many EQs come and go (except for TDR SlickM!). But this one def has an inviting sound and I kinda like the workflow. Makes me think a little differently!
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Is it wrong to use a 'master buss eq' on drum OHs and Room? I mean AMEK 200 is on my guitar buss
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
Is it wrong to use a 'master buss eq' on drum OHs and Room? I mean AMEK 200 is on my guitar buss
Yes, that's completely wrong. It's even wronger than putting a master bus eq on the master bus. People who put anything on their master bus lack the skill to mix properly. Also, when using an EQ, you should never cut or boost more than 3db, otherwise you are not a real engineer.
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, the Knif Soma is still on the list
Why did you have to remind?
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Nut

Trying the demo. It sounds good. I was wondering from PA customers, do you think they put out too many plugins? I was just worried about companies pulling out the subscription if I start using the mega bundle.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbeatz View Post
Trying the demo. It sounds good. I was wondering from PA customers, do you think they put out too many plugins? I was just worried about companies pulling out the subscription if I start using the mega bundle.
PA have guaranteed that if a developer leaves the Agreement with PA then you will get full ownership of the perpetual licence for the plugin(s) concerned that were in the Bundle, just not the future plugins of the developer who leaves. (Your subscription has to still be active at the time of this of course).
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Soma should be a bit of different flavour. the tubes from Massive Passive and the Qs from the Maselec.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Head

Bettermaker vs Weiss EQ1? which one is ''better''?
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxupra View Post
Bettermaker vs Weiss EQ1? which one is ''better''?
Not tried the Weiss EQ1 by Softube as scared would like it too much given the price as I loved their DS1-MK3. (Both plugins are meant to be 1:1 ports of their respective hardware btw). Maybe try and get some of the Weiss package later this year if there's a sale.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubguy99 View Post
Many people in the engineering community (even veterans) get freaked out by any sort of objective, scientific testing because they are scared that'll discredit their "mojo" and "golden ears" (which is of course pretty ironic for a profession with the word "engineer" in it). This is also evident when you have HW vs. SW threads that span hundred of pages full of people with "golden ears" making grand subjective proclamations but actual blind tests in the comparison forum get like five replies.

Of course, engineering ultimately cannot be broken down to positivist data but I think it's good to know when are you subject to psychological bias and placebo and when you aren't ... And as soon as devs will no longer get away with overselling products that rely more on bias (analogz modelled!!!!) than actual sound (IIR EQs, static waveshapers etc.) that'll result in better tools for everyone.
So true...

But, you must have mistaken this thread for another where objective, scientific testing was being discussed... that ain’t happening here!
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

I have the Weiss and I don't think you can't really compare it to bettermaker. Totally different vibe.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut

I started demoing it last night!

Great first impression! It opened things up nicely and the low end has lots of punch!!
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut

And...this is the exact moment The Great Jimmy Douglass uses his Bettermaker Hardware. He only needs the pulteq part to do the trick. Seeing it it is easy to understand why this eq is so "secret weapon" in the mixbus

Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
You could have saved a lot of time by posting your results instead of debating people! They would have spoken for themselves.
Pretty sure it does not worth it, but since i had the project saved, i could render some tests:

(Vocal snippet is from the Free Multitrack Download Library https://cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk/ - Benjamin John - Better Way)

Some of the EQ moves are a little exaggerated for obvious reasons.
Attached Files

01 Drumkit1 Dry.wav (1.74 MB, 2025 views)

02 Drumkit1 A.wav (1.74 MB, 2021 views)

03 Drumkit1 B.wav (1.74 MB, 2037 views)

04 VOC Dry.wav (2.64 MB, 2012 views)

05 VOC A.wav (2.64 MB, 1996 views)

06 VOC B.wav (2.64 MB, 1992 views)

07 Drumkit2 Dry.wav (1.48 MB, 2031 views)

08 Drumkit2 A.wav.wav (1.51 MB, 2035 views)

09 Drumkit2 B.wav.wav (1.51 MB, 2024 views)

10 Mix Dry.mp3 (1.22 MB, 2171 views)

11 Mix A.mp3 (1.22 MB, 2200 views)

12 Mix B.mp3 (1.22 MB, 2187 views)

Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
Pretty sure it does not worth it, but since i had the project saved, i could render some tests:

(Vocal snippet is from the Free Multitrack Download Library https://cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk/ - Benjamin John - Better Way)

Some of the EQ moves are a little exaggerated for obvious reasons.
The "A" snippets demonstrate how I apply this plugin for utility brightening use when needed. Thanks for taking the time to print these.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Head
Hi thanks for this shoutout, not interrested by this new realease but i have listen just for fun only the mixes and prefer mix A. i find it to have more punch than B but it's hard because i find the mix muffle and compressed to begin with.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear