The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TRIDENT AUDIO RELEASES THE Hi-Lo!
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

TRIDENT AUDIO RELEASES THE Hi-Lo!

Branded the Hi-Lo, the Trident 500 series Hi-Lo is a Dynamic Resonance Adaptive Tracking Filter. With both Hi-Cut / Lo-Cut frequency filtering, The Hi-Lo can respond dynamically to the program material, providing the user with a high degree of control and signal enhancement, unavailable in any modern day 500 series package.

Suggested Retail is $499.99
Attached Thumbnails
TRIDENT AUDIO RELEASES THE Hi-Lo!-hi-lo-500-user-manual_rev3.jpg  
Old 10th September 2020
Gear Nut
Interesting....
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabzmuzik View Post
Interesting....
It is very different form the majority of 500 Series products. I insert this into a 4 band sweep EQ on the Trident 88 console, and it's another world. Great for steep notches and crazy EQ effects. The peak resonance filter is also a very cool feature....
Old 10th September 2020
Gear Head

Sounds like something that could also come in Eurorack form
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear
when will it be available?
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeSumthnGood View Post
Sounds like something that could also come in Eurorack form
We have never actually done any of our products in Eurorack... You are correct, this one might be a reasonable one to do.
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
when will it be available?
In stock now. SOS and Mix are doing a review of them. We hope the dealers will order them in, and if necessary, we will sell direct until they do. Dealers usually don't order things until they are being asked for them.

Not sure where you are located, but we can help...
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear
Can you describe a bit more how it responds dynamically to program material? It sounds like it’s more than just a filter and resonant bump.

What does the “track signal” button do? Or is that just a signal present LED?

Thanks
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you describe a bit more how it responds dynamically to program material? It sounds like it’s more than just a filter and resonant bump.

What does the “track signal” button do? Or is that just a signal present LED?

Thanks
In the HiLo's Track mode, the filters dynamically follow the amplitude of the audio source. This tracking action has a fast attack and release nature--the better to exactly "trace" the amplitude shape of your audio source. Tracking makes it possible to use a higher frequency setting (in case of a highpass rumble filter) than you would with regular, fixed highpass filters. When rolling off low frequencies (such as air conditioning or traffic rumble) or high frequencies (tape or guitar amp hiss) the filter's action is less noticeable, as the filter "opens and closes" predicated on level and takes advantage of the psychoacoustic masking effect (when a louder sound covers up a quieter sound at the same frequency).

Using this feature extensively for electric guitar amp noise and for stage floor rumble, the filter shuts like a noise gate when there is no sound. In addition, the filters each have a switchable resonance control that introduces a resonant peak of up to 12 dB at the selected cut-off frequency. Resonance is usually only found on synth filters; here it makes the HiLo a one-of-a-kind box. At maximum settings, the Res control stops just short of oscillation and adds a noticeable whistle to the filter's action. The result is difficult to describe exactly, but it is a high-quality envelope filter that tracks perfectly. This effect works wonderfully on very dynamic individual tracks such as rhythm guitars, drum loops or more frequency-coherent noises such as percussion tracks, techno or industrial type sounds.
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

This is 2020, you should have video's on youtube showing potential customers what this actually does and why they need it.
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Send one to me. I’ll do a video on one.
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
This is 2020, you should have video's on youtube showing potential customers what this actually does and why they need it.
We will, we are working on them now...
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Send one to me. I’ll do a video on one.
Of course you will....
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
Of course you will....
Im offering. I’m not asking for a free unit, I’m offering to review one if you’ll send a demo unit.
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Im offering. I’m not asking for a free unit, I’m offering to review one if you’ll send a demo unit.
I sent you a PM...
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

SO many options if I'm understanding this correctly. Could this be used as a de-esser as well?
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
SO many options if I'm understanding this correctly. Could this be used as a de-esser as well?
De-essing is probably not something you would use this for...I never really tried it for that, so I should not comment on it. While it is very versatile and unique for many functions, that would not be my first choice for a de-esser, but it is a very cool unit once you dig into it...
Old 11th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
We have never actually done any of our products in Eurorack... You are correct, this one might be a reasonable one to do.
Yes, even without CV controls, just a straight up conversion to Eurorack I'm sure would be of interest to people.

Does the circuitry draw from other Trident designs? ie, does it have a Triden sound? or this a completely new thing?
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeSumthnGood View Post
Yes, even without CV controls, just a straight up conversion to Eurorack I'm sure would be of interest to people.

Does the circuitry draw from other Trident designs? ie, does it have a Triden sound? or this a completely new thing?

This is a new thing and yet an old thing. Long ago, there was a company called CLM Dynamics. They made a product called the Expounder. The filters in the Expounder are these. I bought CLM Dynamics in 2010.

I use these filters and love them, so I wanted to bring them out as a solo product. So I pulled the filters, and everything else associated with them out of the Expounder, updated the circuit with a new THAT Corp Chip, branded it Trident, and released it as the HiLo....

So this is not the typical sound of a Trident. As I do not want to market another brand, I simply made this a Trident, yet it is a very extensive and cool unit.
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

These are in stock, and work with the Radial Workhorse rack units with the mixer. There is a jumper in the unit that you can set if you have a Workhorse, or default it for other 500 racks. There is also a switch that allows for stereo linking for pairs...
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
(...) the filter shuts like a noise gate when there is no sound (...)
i'd MUCH prefer the behaviour of an expander: imo the gate is the most useless dynamic tool and actually nothing more than a glorified on/off switch - other than that, this seems to be an interesting device.
Old 11th September 2020
time to start building my second 500 ser rack!
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear
hi,

how fast are these attack and release settings ?
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Branded the Hi-Lo, the Trident 500 series Hi-Lo is a Dynamic Resonance Adaptive Tracking Filter. With both Hi-Cut / Lo-Cut frequency filtering, The Hi-Lo can respond dynamically to the program material, providing the user with a high degree of control and signal enhancement, unavailable in any modern day 500 series package.

Suggested Retail is $499.99
Are the frequencies stepped or sweepable?
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are the frequencies stepped or sweepable?
Sweepable....
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Addict

very interested in this.
It seems some GS people don’t give much love to modern Trident products or their distribution, respectively.
But I got to tell you all: I own two channels of an original vintage Series 80B console, and I had a extremely highend power supply with toroidal transformers custom built for those. They sound incredible on overheads and on electric guitars. Prefer them over my vintage Neves and even my Harrison Series 32. Instant classic Elton John flavoured late 70ies / early 80ies classic sounds.
I bought the reissue rackmount Trident S80B EQ. Despite sounding different to the old ones, the new ones sound just as good. I use them as often as the originals. The guts are quite different, but they nailed the overall tone, really! Sometimes I‘d have the vintage ones on overheads and the reissue on guitars, sometimes vice versa. I never really felt the need of buying two more vintage ones. Congratz to this great reissue.

Bout the Hilo: I had a chance to work with one of those CLM Expounders some years ago. Great sounding machines, and gorgeous looking. I wish you had used those golden knobs for the new Trident version, too.
If any body is interested in the original design, there is quite a lot floating around on the net. Even reviews. The original manual could be found here:
Calling all CLM DB500S Expounder owners
Tomo Audiolabs (German boutique manufacturer of very high end equipment, great sounding EQs and pres) also have products that incorporate some sort of flexible dynamic EQ in an all analogue highend package. But I love the simplicity of the Hilos controls. Btw, I‘d had given it a more original name, I think...
Can’t wait to try it out!
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-hiho View Post
very interested in this.
It seems some GS people don’t give much love to modern Trident products or their distribution, respectively.
But I got to tell you all: I own two channels of an original vintage Series 80B console, and I had a extremely highend power supply with toroidal transformers custom built for those. They sound incredible on overheads and on electric guitars. Prefer them over my vintage Neves and even my Harrison Series 32. Instant classic Elton John flavoured late 70ies / early 80ies classic sounds.
I bought the reissue rackmount Trident S80B EQ. Despite sounding different to the old ones, the new ones sound just as good. I use them as often as the originals. The guts are quite different, but they nailed the overall tone, really! Sometimes I‘d have the vintage ones on overheads and the reissue on guitars, sometimes vice versa. I never really felt the need of buying two more vintage ones. Congratz to this great reissue.

Bout the Hilo: I had a chance to work with one of those CLM Expounders some years ago. Great sounding machines, and gorgeous looking. I wish you had used those golden knobs for the new Trident version, too.
If any body is interested in the original design, there is quite a lot floating around on the net. Even reviews. The original manual could be found here:
Tomo Audiolabs (German boutique manufacturer of very high end equipment, great sounding EQs and pres) also have products that incorporate some sort of flexible dynamic EQ in an all analogue highend package. But I love the simplicity of the Hilos controls. Btw, I‘d had given it a more original name, I think...
Is the HILO really the filter section from the CLM?
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is the HILO really the filter section from the CLM?

Yes it is. I bought CLM Dynamics, but did nothing to bring it back. I was going to reproduce the Exounder and the DB800 mic pre, but time and other factors did not pan out. So recently, I decided to release the filters under the Trident Brand.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-hiho View Post
very interested in this.

Thank you for the kind words. The new Trident equipment is different from the original. We never claimed the structure was the same, but the sound is. We use more modern techniques in the manufacturing process, which actually allows us to get it's original sound. In your experience, it is clear you are one who knows this. The outboard Series 80B is the same sound as the original vintage console modules, and our 19" A-Range is identical to vintage A-Range modules.

When it comes to consoles, the new consoles tend to have more features, but are every bit the sound of the old 80B, and 80C models...the good thing is they cost less and will last for decades, as well as being extremely easy to service! We are selling a lot of consoles, and the customer base are very happy with their purchase.

As for the HiLo, I did not want to spend more dollars marketing another brand. Since I own CLM, I am able to what I want with it, and I choose to reproduce the filters from the Expounder. So using the old gold bullet knobs would just not look right, so we went with the original Trident knobs as it had to look like a Trident.

Yes, HiLo is a simple name, but the feature set is not so simple on these filters. We have SOS, and Mix magazine doing reviews right now. They are in stock and they are so unique and useful. Those who remember the old CLM Expounder should surely want to get their hands on a pair of these. Those who do not remember them, will get a pair of these once people like you put out the word, and the reviews hit the streets, because these are so unique.

Anyway, I thank you for your kind words, and solidifying to others that the new Trident gear sounds the same as the vintage Trident gear....breaking that as a manufacture is hard to do, especially when we were not the original owners, but we do have one of the original lead designers from the old team who has been with us since we bought Trident in 2006.

Thank you!
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Head

I'm definitely sold on trying some Trident from his words
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear