The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TRIDENT AUDIO RELEASES THE Hi-Lo!
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

A cool feature of the Hi-Lo is if you use two of them in mono and wire them in series, the slopes now can provide 12, 24, 36, and 48dB. At 48dB slope, you can do some incredible things. For stereo, just push in the Stereo Link switches, but you can use stereo in series...
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Hi Alan,

I Loved the expounded back in the day.

How much much functionality is retained in the new trident incarnation?

Is the dynamic tracking filters exactly the same?

Alan Bradford was a genius designer!

Wiggy
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Hi Alan,

I Loved the expounded back in the day.

How much much functionality is retained in the new trident incarnation?

Is the dynamic tracking filters exactly the same?

Alan Bradford was a genius designer!

Wiggy
Essentially it is the same, but we improved it spec wise. So yes, the filters are the same, but some of the original components have been upgraded giving the new Hi-Lo improved noise, distortion and everything else.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Great .. whoโ€™s stocking in the uk if I wanted to try?
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Great .. whoโ€™s stocking in the uk if I wanted to try?
No one at the moment...It is brand new, and you know dealers don't like carrying anything unless it walks out the door. I am trying get Funky Junk UK, KMR, SX Pro and Studiocare to stock a couple, so any encouragement from you guys to them will help.

As soon as SOS is done with the review, Funky Junk will have them, and you can probaly arrange a demo there...
Old 16th September 2020
Here for the gear
Anyone knows why the posts about Hilo is removed from Facebook and Instagram, and not to be found on Tridents homepage?
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRockford View Post
Anyone knows why the posts about Hilo is removed from Facebook and Instagram, and not to be found on Tridents homepage?
Alan will probably chime in. FWIW, I saw on the website they had pic for the Hilo but specs and description for the 80b 500. Might have pulled it to edit that.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

What a brilliant idea. I use lots of different meters in the studio and I always have a 32 band that shows frequency content. So when Alan said it intelligently wraps itself around the ends of the frequency content of the sound I knew exactly what he meant (not his words, my understanding).

Basically, smart LPFs and HPFs! Amazing. This way none of the useable frequency content gets destroyed by a 12 or 24db shelf aimed at getting rid of a sound that has nothing to do with the useable sound.

I like the forward thinking here.

Pat
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1999 View Post
What a brilliant idea. I use lots of different meters in the studio and I always have a 32 band that shows frequency content. So when Alan said it intelligently wraps itself around the ends of the frequency content of the sound I knew exactly what he meant (not his words, my understanding).

Basically, smart LPFs and HPFs! Amazing. This way none of the useable frequency content gets destroyed by a 12 or 24db shelf aimed at getting rid of a sound that has nothing to do with the useable sound.

I like the forward thinking here.

Pat
If you push the levels up to line level on the Hi-Lo, it will give you a whole other gear. The way the frequencies interact, you can get some amazing sounds....

Remember, if you get two, the flexibility is insane. First, you would have a stereo pair, but if you use it in mono and wire it in series, you can now get 12, 24, 36, and 48dB slopes...

So for 12dB, just depress the 1st unit in series to 12dB. For 24dB, either use both 12dB switches on each unit, or just the 24dB on the top unit. To get 36dB, set one unit to 12dB, and the other to 24dB. Finally, for 48dB, set both units to 24dB.

The HiLo is a totally unique product, and the more you know about it, and the more you experiment with input levels and variable frequency pot, stereo use, and mono series using two units, the more you are going to love these....
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRockford View Post
We are still adding to the web page, but it will back up shortly. As for Facebook and Instagram, I will ask the marketing department....
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Head

with regard to the envelope following functionality - this is just on or off, right? and threshold is essentially set based on input strength? does the Low Cut dive lower with stronger signal and high cut moves higher with stronger signal?
this sounds vaguely like the Moog Ladder Filter 500 series unit. it only had a single filter, but a bit more control over the envelope.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdarrett View Post
with regard to the envelope following functionality - this is just on or off, right? and threshold is essentially set based on input strength? does the Low Cut dive lower with stronger signal and high cut moves higher with stronger signal?
this sounds vaguely like the Moog Ladder Filter 500 series unit. it only had a single filter, but a bit more control over the envelope.
Actually, the HiLo is quote different. There is no attack or release controls, and the filters on the HiLo offer two filter operation simultaneously at the same time, not one. I don't believe there is a slope on the Moog, and would not be selectable for operation at 12, 24, 36 or 48dB like the HiLo.

The filters dynamically follow the amplitude of the audio source. If you push the gain, it will result in the Resonance stopping just short of oscillation and adds a noticeable whistle to the filter's action, which relates to a kind of envelope filter, but different because it tracks perfectly, and results in some very cool effects. This "tracking" action has a fast attack and release nature, but no control...the better to exactly "trace" the amplitude shape of your audio source. Tracking makes it possible to use a higher frequency setting when pushed (in case of a highpass rumble filter) than you would with regular, fixed highpass filters.

As a stand alone product, the HiLo is very cool...however, insert the HiLp into a decent EQ and the combination is unbeatable....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Got mine on Friday. I didn't get much time with it yet but I will later this week and next weekend. I have a newb question;

In regards to the hpf and it's associated resonance bump is the combined effect the same as, or similar to, what a lot of people term the pultec effect in the low end?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Got mine on Friday. I didn't get much time with it yet but I will later this week and next weekend. I have a newb question;

In regards to the hpf and it's associated resonance bump is the combined effect the same as, or similar to, what a lot of people term the pultec effect in the low end?
I am not sure exactly where you are heading with this, but the The Pultec high-frequency section has a boost-peaking EQ at 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12 and 16 kHz โ€“ which can be boosted up to 18 dB, while a Bandwidth control alters the Q of the equalization curve from sharp to broad. The high frequencies can also be cut at 5, 10 and 20 kHz. This is a shelf-cut with up to 16 dB of attenuation. If this is called the "Pultec" effect, I do not know.

The HiLo are filters, and do different things than the Pultec. The Q of the HiLo's resonance follows constant energy curve or proportional Q, meaning that at lower resonance levels, the bandwidth is wider then at higher levels.

The typical Q at max resonance level is approx. 8 at the highest frequency selection . At lower frequencies the maximum resonance boost decreases as a consequence of the design, as such the bandwidth of the resonance increases accordingly and the Q decreases down to approx. 2 at max resonance level. In effect, the resonance bandwidth more provides a constant energy effect across the frequency adjustment, if that makes sense to you.

To put numbers to this, Lo-Cut at Min Frequency (15 Hz) selected and at Max Resonance level has a Q of 2 (a resonance Boost of 10dB). At Maximum Frequency (16K) selected with similar setup the Q is 8 with a max resonance boost of 15dB. The resonance boost variation increases linearly as the frequency is increased.
We specify the average of this variation in the spec of 12dB for simplicity.

Hopefully, this answers what you were looking for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
I am not sure exactly where you are heading with this, but the The Pultec high-frequency section has a boost-peaking EQ at 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12 and 16 kHz โ€“ which can be boosted up to 18 dB, while a Bandwidth control alters the Q of the equalization curve from sharp to broad. The high frequencies can also be cut at 5, 10 and 20 kHz. This is a shelf-cut with up to 16 dB of attenuation. If this is called the "Pultec" effect, I do not know.

The HiLo are filters, and do different things than the Pultec. The Q of the HiLo's resonance follows constant energy curve or proportional Q, meaning that at lower resonance levels, the bandwidth is wider then at higher levels.

The typical Q at max resonance level is approx. 8 at the highest frequency selection . At lower frequencies the maximum resonance boost decreases as a consequence of the design, as such the bandwidth of the resonance increases accordingly and the Q decreases down to approx. 2 at max resonance level. In effect, the resonance bandwidth more provides a constant energy effect across the frequency adjustment, if that makes sense to you.

To put numbers to this, Lo-Cut at Min Frequency (15 Hz) selected and at Max Resonance level has a Q of 2 (a resonance Boost of 10dB). At Maximum Frequency (16K) selected with similar setup the Q is 8 with a max resonance boost of 15dB. The resonance boost variation increases linearly as the frequency is increased.
We specify the average of this variation in the spec of 12dB for simplicity.

Hopefully, this answers what you were looking for.
I was not clear. I meant on the hilo when I'm using the locut and using the resonance to boost at that corner frequency. I was wondering if this is similar to what pultec type eq's do in the low frequencies since they can cut and boost the same frequency.

Either way, I liked the hilo effect. It sounded like it brought the kick out in a nice way without using a traditional eq.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear