The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing: Smarter HUMANIZE - an intelligent humanize script for Logic Pro X's scripter $4.99
Old 4th September 2020
Here for the gear

Software Introducing: Smarter HUMANIZE - an intelligent humanize script for Logic Pro X's scripter $4.99

Hey everybody!

Just wanted share our newest tool. It's a humanizer script that gives you deep control of what, where, and when to humanize midi notes.

$4.99 at https://www.positivepressureaudio.com​

One of the things that always bugged me about humanizing in Logic's piano roll was that it treats all notes the same and applies a broad "randomness" to notes. But, musicians treat each note differently and the "human" element isn't totally random, it's more like organized chaos. What I mean is that even mediocre players can find the downbeat most of the time, even if they play fast notes out of time. But a computer treats the downbeat the same as the notes in the middle of a fast run of sixteenths, which just tends to sound random, and sometimes even less "human". So, I came up with Smarter Humanize.

It's a logic script that looks at the position of the notes in a bar and lets you choose how much: Delay, Randomization, Velocity Boost or Reduction, and Velocity Randomization to apply to each beat and subdivision.

So, you can keep your downbeat perfectly in time, add a little bit of random time delay to the quarter notes, a little more to the eighths and a whole bunch to the sixteenths.

Or say you have a midi drum track where you want the downbeat to be right in time, and the snare to be a little late on beat 2 and 4, and the hi-hat sixteenths to be a little swung, with a lot of timing variations? Smarter Humanize can do that by adjust a couple sliders.

It also has a really robust velocity section that can add character to things, like creating tremolo-like fast sixteenths for strings where the beat is loudest, and the sixteenths are quieter to emulate the difference in up and down bows.

Lot's of really fun and cool tweaky things you can do with it.

Only $4.99 - currently only for Logic Pro X, though we're working on a plugin version too. Anyone that buys the Logic version will get a free copy of the plugin when its available

(Current version is optimized for 4/4, though other time signatures are in the works)

Thanks!

David Gregory Byrne
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing: Smarter HUMANIZE - an intelligent humanize script for Logic Pro X's scripter .99-smarterhumanizemed.png  
Old 4th September 2020
Gear Nut

Cool concept there...just letting you know the videois currently for a different product...
Old 4th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman View Post
Cool concept there...just letting you know the videois currently for a different product...
Ugh! Thanks so much Scubaman. Should be fixed now!
Old 5th September 2020
Gear Addict

Instant buy ! A subtle yet really inspiring script.
Old 5th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
Instant buy ! A subtle yet really inspiring script.
Thanks so much mininjoyz!!! As a fellow gearslut, "Instant buy" is the greatest compliment a developer can get

Hope you dig it in your sessions!
Old 5th September 2020
Lives for gear

Great concept! Compatible with all versions of Logic X?
Old 5th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmusic View Post
Great concept! Compatible with all versions of Logic X?
Thanks! And yes, should work with all version of Logic X's scripter that comes stock with the Midi FX plugins.

Just have to copy/paste the script into the scripter and it will open the Smarter Humanize plugin.
Old 10th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Positive Pressure, are you not responding to PM's here? I sent you one several days ago and haven't seen a response. Thanks.
Old 10th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongShark View Post
Positive Pressure, are you not responding to PM's here? I sent you one several days ago and haven't seen a response. Thanks.
So sorry SongShark, our inbox is empty and I haven't seen any messages. Not sure what happened, but I'll send you one so we can connect.
Old 10th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivePressure View Post
So sorry SongShark, our inbox is empty and I haven't seen any messages. Not sure what happened, but I'll send you one so we can connect.
Thanks -- got it and responded.

As for not seeing my original note -- evidence strongly suggests the error was mine. (As impossible as it sounds.)

Full exoneration for Positive Pressure!
Old 10th September 2020
worth every penny!
Old 10th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
worth every penny!
Thanks auralart! Glad you're liking it!
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Instant buy for me too - The Humanizer in Logic is used in every track i make and i ALWAYS wish it was more flexible.

Also - Scripter PROBABILITY script is in constant use for ARP/Synth parts etc - and this humanizer script will be a great addition to that!

Great stuff.

D
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Purchased.
Haven’t had a chance to play with it yet, but got a question. Should this be used on individual midi or can it be used on a whole drum kit. I was thinking about Logic’s drummer. Could it be used there or would one need to separate each piece of the kit?
Old 14th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
Instant buy for me too - The Humanizer in Logic is used in every track i make and i ALWAYS wish it was more flexible.

Also - Scripter PROBABILITY script is in constant use for ARP/Synth parts etc - and this humanizer script will be a great addition to that!

Great stuff.

D
Thanks so much DamianL! Hope you love it!
Old 14th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer View Post
Purchased.
Haven’t had a chance to play with it yet, but got a question. Should this be used on individual midi or can it be used on a whole drum kit. I was thinking about Logic’s drummer. Could it be used there or would one need to separate each piece of the kit?
Great question, and actually either would work, it just depends on how tweaky you want to get.

For the majority of uses I'd say put it on a full kit, Logic's Drummer for example. It will take all the midi notes that are going to the kit and adjust them to how you have the sliders set in Smarter Humanize. That will give you control over where notes land in a bar. And even if notes land on the same beat, like snare and tom, each one will be randomized separately if you've applied randomization.

If you did want to have really, really detailed control over the way that each individual part of a drum kit was humanized, you could split them each out into their own track and put a different instance of Smarter Humanize on each track. But, that's a pretty specific use case. If you want something really detailed like, snare hits a little late on quarter notes, but toms are right on time, then it'd work if you split them out.

Hope that helps!
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Maniac

I copied your post to thegearpage. A lot of Logic users there.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear
This is a great idea, and a no brainer to buy when you think of the work to do this manually, or write the script. Now I know am not the only one, but many of us saw Eno composing with Logic in a documentary with some scripts he had written for him, which randomised notes and chords, but in a controlled way. If you can figure that out, maybe a suite of scripts, you would have our eternal gratitude.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

This was so needed! I would also love a script for turning chords into strums!
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Addict

Now I need more scripts ! I didn't even know the existence of Scripter in Logic. PositivePressure, do you have any more projects ?
Old 15th September 2020
Purchased and trying it out now. I use a lot of live instrument samples so should come in handy!
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic dreamer View Post
I copied your post to thegearpage. A lot of Logic users there.
Awesome! Thanks so much melodic dreamer!!!
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Addict

Very cool concept! Quick question, does it humanize by only delaying notes, as I know humans who play ahead of the beat and not always behind the beat.

I also really like the randomization for the velocities. But does it only effect notes that are perfectly on the grid? For example, let’s say I like my natural performance, but just want to emphasize the “downbeats” a bit more, but since it’s not quantized, these downbeats are slightly before and/or after the actual beat. Would the script not work or Is there a range in which the script acts?
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear
Positive Pressure:

This is what I was talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7epY75Wa0

go to 08:30 onwards. If you could create a script(s) like that, I would happily pay for them. i don't understand enough to program them myself.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

I'm going to buy it just because at $4.99 I think I'm getting a bargain because it's less than $5.00 - and I don't even use Logic Pro!
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself View Post
Positive Pressure:

This is what I was talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7epY75Wa0

go to 08:30 onwards. If you could create a script(s) like that, I would happily pay for them. i don't understand enough to program them myself.

That would be cool
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Maniac

I'm enjoying this. There is already a note delay, but is it possible to add a note pushed? This way we could play with the groove more?
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Looks awesome. Eagerly awaiting the plugin version! (which you mention is under development on your website)
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
Now I need more scripts ! I didn't even know the existence of Scripter in Logic. PositivePressure, do you have any more projects ?
Thanks mininoyz! The next thing in the development queue was some sample libraries, but the response to this script has been great, so I'm looking through my personal scripts to see if there's some stuff to bring to market. I'll let everyone know when I have more. Did you have anything you were looking for?
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post
This was so needed! I would also love a script for turning chords into strums!

Awesome! Thanks!

Logic has a "Guitar Strummer" script in the scripter under "factory scripts" though maybe you tried it and didn't like the functionality? If you haven't tried it check it out!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear