The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SILIKA: Kush's latest compressor NAILS the analog
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

SILIKA: Kush's latest compressor NAILS the analog

Kush Just Closed the Analog/Digital Divide

SILIKA

Dual-Diode Compressor
- Sonically identical to vintage compressor hardware.
- Switchable Distortion Profiles.
- Kush's 'Tri-Meter' display, in a plugin!

$99, No Ilok Dongle Required!

After 9 years in the plugin game, Kush can finally say without exaggeration that, at least for one particular flavor of vintage compressors that clip beautifully, we have completely closed the Analog/Digital gap. SILIKA is not ‘close’, it’s not ‘different but just as good’. It’s ‘Sonically Identical’ to the types of hardware it’s modeled after.

When you drive this plugin’s input, everything melts deliciously. In particular, the high frequencies lay back and spread out without getting edgy, or bright, or even the least bit ‘zingy’. It may get too grindy, but it won’t hurt your ears. Think Led Zeppelin IV’s hazy grunge, and you’ll start to get the idea.

SILIKA owes its killer sound to an extraordinarily complex harmonic distortion generator, but operationally it’s a relatively simple compressor with a familiar feature set. All of its distortions are controlled with the Input knob, which can be switched and blended to taste. The resulting signal then gets passed to a compressor/limiter with 4 available ratios, standard Attack/Release/Threshold/Mix controls, and sidechain filtering options which, while simple, allow for a dramatic reshaping of the compressor’s behavior.

It’s a straightforward plugin with an absolutely killer sound, and represents the dawn of a new era for Kush plugins and digital sonics in general.

Gregory Scott - ubk

$99, shipping NOW!

Find out more at thehouseofkush.com

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

WOW, gonna try it ASAP, love the Kush Audio stuff!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
WOW, gonna try it ASAP, love the Kush Audio stuff!
Already installed now. Only 5 min before next work meeting though!

EDIT: iLok woes. Can't install the code for some reason. Gives an error about not being able to install at this location or something.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Another must-have from Kush. Congratulations on this beauty.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not in the studio ATM but even on my mobile the examples in the video sound great. Can't wait to demo this in the morning!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Yuuuuuuussssss
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
This one is really nice! Oozes character. Love the Kush stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great News!!! Love all kush plugins. Thanks Greg. Will demo it tomorrow.
Old 2 weeks ago
Wowwy wow wow wow! It may just be as good as advertised. Briefly tested on a vocal track and it came out dense, thick, and smooth, just like I wanted. Nice GUI as well. Will do some more testing, but so far I'm seriously impressed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The demo video really sounds great. Love the Fury mode in particular!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's finally out!

Just push it... Push the darn thing and smile!

I've been rocking this baby for months and still find new ways to get different flavors. Lower the threshold, push the input, crank the attack, put it on zener and blend that crush! (or should I say kush? Lol)

This comp should come with a controller to complete the fun!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Glad to finally see a new plugin added to the sub! The link to the manual appears broken btw. Look forward to trying this out.
Old 2 weeks ago
DSK
Lives for gear

I'm not that into plugin sonics these days, as I'm pretty much covered for the time being.
Still have a lot to learn when it comes to what I already have, and get the most out of them.

With that said... that triple VU Meter just makes me want to jump in and test this thing right now!

These juicy gimmicks, and how they get us
Old 2 weeks ago
😮 this is right on time! I’ve been seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a 33609 (clone). I like the UAD version but it lacks something. Can’t wait to demo this guy. My Novatron comp stays in the mix.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Sounds good so far. I just pulled SPL Iron and SHMC Class A off the master bus on a mix to test it out. I had to trim down the master bus a few dB, but I was probably pushing things too hot anyway (I tend to do that, but I'm getting better). I look forward to more testing tomorrow morning. Nice warm bottom end, very easy to blow it up. Maybe I just need a bit more +12dB after hours.

And remember, the answer to "How many more compressors do you need?" is always..."just one more."

Oh...and I second the request for a working manual link. I like to read manuals...I'm weird like that.

Matt
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The punch. Is insane. Loving this!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Any reason why you didn't model the Compex action? Or is that coming in a future plugin?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I tested this one and it's a BEAST! Another killer from Kush.
Old 2 weeks ago
What hardware(s) is it emulating?

I have a Kush subscription, so I'll be installing it anyway, but I'm curious.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Video sound beatiful. Can't wait to test it
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
What hardware(s) is it emulating?

I have a Kush subscription, so I'll be installing it anyway, but I'm curious.
It tells you when you press the "Info" buton the plugin. Saturation is ADR Compex + 2254. Compression is just 2254.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubguy99 View Post
Compression is just 2254.
ooOOOooo!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

First truly analog compression and glue …

… and now, another Masterpiece is here!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I was just using UBK-1 on a mix this morning. Have I really been using that software for 9 years?

Can't wait to try out the new one when time allows!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

“ Sonically identical to vintage compressor hardware.“

Wow, can’t wait to hear the A/B files to back that statement up.

Are the comparison on the webpage?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Like I’m not going to be buying this!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird View Post

A/B guy!

Do you have to write every post asking for an A/B comparison, or do you have them saved somewhere and just copy and paste?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird View Post

I don't think he meant they modeled a specific vintage piece. More like the sonic qualities of compression and saturation are up there to hardware level
Old 2 weeks ago
This is insane indeed, never seen a product video daring to drive into distortion like this, because most simply don´t sound good if going THAT far. However, this one is spot on in terms of analog saturation and still sounds great at insane drive levels, very amazing modeling work, really a new era in digital.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Saturation that is designed to be pushed too far is my kind of saturation. Can’t wait to try this.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear