Lives for gear

I kicked an avalanche

Unashamed Bright Kid
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Hahah and i always thought it stands for "You'll be okay"
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Nut

I have a complaint to lodge with Gregory: your compressors are so fun to use, I'm compressing everything too much and ruining my mixes.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I have a complaint to lodge with Gregory: your compressors are so fun to use, I'm compressing everything too much and ruining my mixes.
U B Kompressing too much!
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

It's subliminal programming. U Buy Kompressor. Wait hang on that's a Merc
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Guru

I could answer the question, but everyone else's answers are way more interesting!

Although the truth does involve 60's science fiction, schizophrenia, the 90's Seattle music scene, ketamine, and divorce...

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Although the truth does involve 60's science fiction, schizophrenia, the 90's Seattle music scene, ketamine, and divorce...
Ah ha !

Sooo, the name is kinda of an advice ?... like : Urinate Before Ketamine ??
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Although the truth does involve 60's science fiction
Yes, I always thought it was Ubik minus the "i".

All the best,
Palmer Eldritch
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I could answer the question, but everyone else's answers are way more interesting!

������

Gregory Scott - ubk
I believe I’ve read that book
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut
U B*tches don't wear choKers (love u greg <3)
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict

United Best Kingdom
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Crush View Post
United Best Kingdom
We're not all that United though lol. No doubt some further sort of devolution awaits.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
We're not all that United though lol. No doubt some further sort of devolution awaits.
United Better Kingdom
Here you go
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Head

Valis!
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

������

Gregory Scott - ubk
Sounds interesting. As we all see the unknown is the most inspiring thing, maybe some things shouldn't be revealed and stay mystic

I once destroyed my love for magic card handling in learning how to handle the cards, so it does look magical to the spectator

Cheers and do all have a great and joyful day.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
I once destroyed my love for magic card handling in learning how to handle the cards, so it does look magical to the spectator
I once destroyed the magic of listening to music as a mystic whole by learning to compose and design sounds.
Only when i'm really high or drunk can i enjoy it so purely as i used to.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
I once destroyed the magic of listening to music as a mystic whole by learning to compose and design sounds.
Opposite for me, the more I learn, the more I appreciate the work of others - especially the minute details that are only revealed with great monitoring (that the vast majority would never notice).
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh boy I know that very well, except for the part with the alcohol as I'm not drinking alcohol.

Some years ago, when I delved deeper into learning more about music theory, I have come to the same point and I even played my biggest passion aside, listening to record to just enjoy music. It helped a great deal that I also started to learn myself into mixing some years ago. Fortunately I now reached a point I even can enjoy (to a certain degree) music genres I wouldn't have even touched back in the days. Because now I'm able to appreciate the engineers and producers work behind a production too. And I realized I can learn from anything and that brought back a holistic view over music and they joy I once had listening to records nearly doubled.

I have to add that in earlier years I almost only listened to non commercial music and mainly experimental stuff of art last strange stuff. Going the way further as making and learning music plus learning mixing catapulted me into the complete sonic universe without any boundaries, without knowing any walls which define generic genre stuff. So to say it's a complete enrichment and I do appreciate that so much these days.

As a very famous master of ZEN once said, "everything is sound"
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

I absolutely agree with both of you.
I just remember the times when i listened to music (on a walkman :D) and i was completely amazed by the sound.
"Wow how did they do this! etc.." It was magical, and it had a whole lot of mystery behind it.

I would never want to go back, but i'd like to enjoy music as purely and naively from time to time. (that's where weed really can work wonders, but don't do drugs, mmmkay? :P)

I think i'm getting back to this mindset again though.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I absolutely agree with both of you.
I just remember the times when i listened to music (on a walkman :D) and i was completely amazed by the sound.
"Wow how did they do this! etc.." It was magical, and it had a whole lot of mystery behind it.

I would never want to go back, but i'd like to enjoy music as purely and naively from time to time. (that's where weed really can work wonders, but don't do drugs, mmmkay? :P)

I think i'm getting back to this mindset again though.
Oh boy, you reminded me of my used bought torn down Walkman when I was around 14-15 years old. How I loved listening to the mixed tapes, that was the time I "fell in love" with Anne Clark. Reflecting now I think back in the days music was a drug for me, brought me far away from the not often so nice every day business.

Remember the words of a Buddhist monk who teached me how to meditate. He said "be aware, music is a strong drug"
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

I will say that I’ve specifically avoided figuring out how to play certain parts to keep the mystery alive. Rather, I don’t want my brain going into that mode, I just want to feel the music.

Deconstructing countless songs/productions is how I’ve learned, but I’ll leave a few alone for “magic” :—)
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Loving this one. Can get dirty as hell. Particularly love it on drum buss or parallel smash.
Haven't had a chance to try it on vocals yet - been struggling to record in current situation, but will try next week.
Another hit from UBK IMO.

This and Slate are the only subs i keep now. Between those companies i don't need any other 'analog' type stuff.

I also think this was a really good type of comp for Kush to do...they have their vari-mu, they have Novatron (kinda hybrid of sorts)
I don't have that many comps that do this type of compression/saturation convincingly, so it was a lovely surprise to hear about this.
Great work!!
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

like the plug in ... but it crashes Cubase 10.5 on macOS 10.14.6 :

Application Specific Information:
Calling windowShouldClose: on the delegate for the SMTGCocoa1588660388_FloatingWindow 0x7fc073c75ee0
abort() called
Pure virtual function called!

Thread 0:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 com.kush.silika 0x00000001eae33394 ACFShutdown + 1648099

What ever that means ... ;9

Happens when closing the plug in or something ...
Old 19th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Loving this one. Can get dirty as hell. Particularly love it on drum buss or parallel smash.
Haven't had a chance to try it on vocals yet...

That (vocals) is actually turning out to be my favorite use for it. It's a 50/50 tossup whether I'll go with it or with AR-1 instead, and if I use one on lead I'll use the other on harmonies, they have such different textures.

Close second for SILIKA is mix buss. I've been pulling back the input ~6dB, Diode Blend around 20%, light 2:1 compression also around 20%. It's so subtle but given that my chain before it involves 3 stages of analog sat/clipping followed by 2 other plugin sat/clippers, I don't want or need much.

And after all that, I've fallen in love with Sound Radix's Powair as the last-in-chain, it's like having an old Orban Optimod for a touch of FM smash. But again, usually dialed back to 20-40% at most, more for density and one last little bit of transient packing.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
That (vocals) is actually turning out to be my favorite use for it. It's a 50/50 tossup whether I'll go with it or with AR-1 instead, and if I use one on lead I'll use the other on harmonies, they have such different textures.

Close second for SILIKA is mix buss. I've been pulling back the input ~6dB, Diode Blend around 20%, light 2:1 compression also around 20%. It's so subtle but given that my chain before it involves 3 stages of analog sat/clipping followed by 2 other plugin sat/clippers, I don't want or need much.

And after all that, I've fallen in love with Sound Radix's Powair as the last-in-chain, it's like having an old Orban Optimod for a touch of FM smash. But again, usually dialed back to 20-40% at most, more for density and one last little bit of transient packing.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Sounds cool. I also enjoy what compressors do, when the input volume is lowered. Usually I try to drive them at around -18db. Analog modeled can be driven much harder. Sometimes I struggle finding a sweetspot or can't decide what sound I like more.

May I ask at what db input volume driving it, you think Silika reveals most of its beautiful character and maintaining punch / density?

I still trying to understand that matter compression in general better and I wonder what really happens under the hood if driven by different volumes.
Old 19th September 2020
Gear Maniac

quick q:

what are the Mac OS X reqs? I've got other Kush plugs installed via the sub (using 10.9.5) and they're happy - but Silika doesn't want to open:-(

had a look on the Kush site, but it's not clear. the sub is advertised as 10.9+, but Silika isn't working.... oh, the suspense....

ah, found the answer... 10.13... bummer....

Last edited by samtastic; 19th September 2020 at 06:47 PM..
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Gregory Scott - ubk
Hey Gregory - Powair is one of my (not so secret) weapons. it is incredible. Also love it on vocals and bass.
My other mixbuss gems are Unisum and Multiplicity.
When i use colour comps, its one of yours, or Track comp.

Will try Silika on Mixbuss, i can imagine it working well set up as you outlined.
I have been adoring it on drum buss. It does the thing i have been missing in other comps. Kush comps have a wonderful ability to gobble up just enough of the spiky transients, without taking power away.
One of my biggest gripes with ITB comps is that many of them fail to clamp down on very early transients. Not the Kush comps!!
Old 19th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Morons, all of you:

Unpleasant Bum Kneading

-bryan
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear