iZotope Releases RX 8 and Announces Updates to Flagship Suites - Page 3 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iZotope Releases RX 8 and Announces Updates to Flagship Suites
Old 6th September 2020
Gear Head

When I was doing post professionally, I had the rule of thumb that something I bought for my audio work had to pay for itself. I think Izotope RX Advanced still manages to meet that profile in a professional setting, despite its various shortcomings and its list price. I've gone from 2-->6 just for fun, I'm no longer in the industry. I'll update again sooner or later. I'd say people should look at the great opportunity to use it, at least find some appreciation for what it offers. I've never found perfect software.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsounds View Post
When I was doing post professionally, I had the rule of thumb that something I bought for my audio work had to pay for itself. I think Izotope RX Advanced still manages to meet that profile in a professional setting, despite its various shortcomings and its list price. I've gone from 2-->6 just for fun, I'm no longer in the industry. I'll update again sooner or later. I'd say people should look at the great opportunity to use it, at least find some appreciation for what it offers. I've never found perfect software.
Agreed. RX Advanced gets used in about 95% of my work. It has landed me gigs I would have not otherwise been able to get AND it has saved my a$$ countless times.

My absolute go tos are de-plosive, spectral de-noise, de-clip, de-click, de-rustle and de-reverb. Been a user since version 1.

I have some old recordings from the 1990s that done at less than CD quality...I am very curious how well this Spectral Recovery processor will work on those files.
Old 6th September 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
A massive chunk of their RX clientele are large post facilities who don't bat an eye at these fees.
Yeh, fair point. That totally makes sense in terms of how they are so neglectful of the broader user-base. All the more reason for the smaller folk to find better value alternatives.
Old 6th September 2020
Here for the gear

so you could send to rx and pro tools audio files in project, but you can't use ARA2? c'mon... only ableton to this day didn't have ara2
Old 6th September 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
So it appears, as a relative newbie that Izotope offers ridiculous deals to get you in the fold, then over time they hit you over the head with upgrade fees. Is that about right? Do the updates themselves ever go on sale?
Yeh, that's roughly it. They do put their upgrades on sale sometimes (e.g. Black Friday, or before releasing a new numbered version). Usually about half price, which is still exorbitant for such incremental additions (see pretty much this entire thread) and especially because of the back-compatibility version/OS installer workflow nightmares which are also very well documented.
Old 6th September 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
All the price bitching is boring. I'd buy RX8 Advanced again for full price if they made me, it's just too incredible to not have these days.

I love RX and still love it but whose bright idea was it to exclude the file name prefixes or suffixes from the new Batch Processor?

Kind of a deal-breaker for many workflows and as a bonus, I have to scroll through TONS of factory module chain presets to find the 3 that I use regularly.
Cool story, bro. Wish I was as flush as you!
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh_e79 View Post
the back-compatibility version/OS installer workflow nightmares which are also very well documented.
So grateful you brought this up, I'd forgotten to check: Windows 8-10 required / Studio One 4-5 supported. I'm still on W7 in some computers and still on SO 3.5 in all of them, so, definitely not for me.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh_e79 View Post
Yeh, that's roughly it. They do put their upgrades on sale sometimes (e.g. Black Friday, or before releasing a new numbered version). Usually about half price, which is still exorbitant for such incremental additions (see pretty much this entire thread) and especially because of the back-compatibility version/OS installer workflow nightmares which are also very well documented.
And they openly state they don't provide support after 1 year so there-in lies an additional spur to incentivise you to update.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

I love RX and still love it but whose bright idea was it to exclude the file name prefixes or suffixes from the new Batch Processor?
Oh no! Why they did that? I use this all the time. Was excited for the new batch processor... that is a deal breaker for sure.
Old 6th September 2020
Deleted 49af092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
Oh no! Why they did that? I use this all the time. Was excited for the new batch processor... that is a deal breaker for sure.
I don't know. I tried telling them in beta that while overall, the new Batch Processor is nice, because we can now see file attributes of the input files, that it's a major deal-breaker that we don't have Batch Processor presets that store the output file name prefix/suffix, that's a regression and potential deal breaker.

Also, we have to scroll through all the factory module chains presets to find any custom ones that we have made...every time.

Overall, the new Batch Processor is a slow down even though it looks nicer.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know. I tried telling them in beta that while overall, the new Batch Processor is nice, because we can now see file attributes of the input files, that it's a major deal-breaker that we don't have Batch Processor presets that store the output file name prefix/suffix, that's a regression and potential deal breaker.

Also, we have to scroll through all the factory module chains presets to find any custom ones that we have made...every time.

Overall, the new Batch Processor is a slow down even though it looks nicer.
This is indeed a deal breaker.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
All the price bitching is boring. I'd buy RX8 Advanced again for full price if they made me, it's just too incredible to not have these days.

Kind of a deal-breaker for many workflows and as a bonus, I have to scroll through TONS of factory module chain presets to find the 3 that I use regularly.
Though I agree with your statements I still think I can work super professionally and obtain excellent results with RX7 at the moment. Maybe a tad slower than you on RX8.

Last edited by baslotto; 6th September 2020 at 09:36 PM..
Old 6th September 2020
Deleted 49af092
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I hope enough people write to them and let them know how important the file naming is to the Batch Processor presets so they consider fixing it in the next maintenance update.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I was still considering since I’m on RX6 and tend to update every two versions, but batch processing is very important to my workflow and this is also a deal breaker for me. I’ll just wait for ARA2 support and hope they fix this by then.
Old 7th September 2020
Lives for gear

So, let’s write to them about it!
Old 7th September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 49af092 View Post
I hope enough people write to them and let them know how important the file naming is to the Batch Processor presets so they consider fixing it in the next maintenance update.
While I'll definitely join the effort, honestly don't recall them doing any useful feature update in their recent releases without a version bump and money..

To be clear I'm absolutely hoping my pessimism is wrong.
Old 7th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 49af092 View Post
Yeah, good luck with that. It'll be sold with RX9 as an "amazing new feature!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by softska View Post
While I'll definitely join the effort, honestly don't recall them doing any useful feature update in their recent releases without a version bump and money..
Exactly this. They have never done any user interface or workflow improvements with any RX updates, even with tons of feedback for relatively simple requests. At least I can't recall any.

Case in point: More than 16 tabs now available in RX8.
Old 7th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
All the price bitching is boring.
whose bright idea was it to exclude the file name prefixes or suffixes from the new Batch Processor
Guys, you are really boring this gentleman with your price feedback.

His griping about file names is fine, though, ok?
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Guys, you are really boring this gentleman with your price feedback.

His griping about file names is fine, though, ok?
Haha... How to say... Pwned? 😂
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
Though I agree with your statements I still think I can work super professionally and obtain excellent results with RX7 at the moment. Maybe a tad slower than you on RX8.
Why slower? Did they make the processing faster in RX8?
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Couldn't you chase the name of the .dll to the old one for it to recall the in your old or current projects? I've done it before but and it worked, but not for izotope
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Why slower? Did they make the processing faster in RX8?
They added the horizontal scrolling option 🤓
Old 8th September 2020
Deleted 49af092
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
Couldn't you chase the name of the .dll to the old one for it to recall the in your old or current projects? I've done it before but and it worked, but not for izotope
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, but the problem is that unlike RX7, Batch Processor Presets do not save the desired prefix or suffix on the newly created file. You have to manually manage this for each process which is a slow down and deal-breaker for a busy mastering workflow.

iZotope decided to remove this feature for RX8 and people are taking note. It's not just me complaining about it.

I am back to RX7 for Batch Processing until they can fix it. Overall the new Batch Processor is kind of better and has potential but they released it with some serious regressions.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, but the problem is that unlike RX7, Batch Processor Presets do not save the desired prefix or suffix on the newly created file. You have to manually manage this for each process which is a slow down and deal-breaker for a busy mastering workflow.

iZotope decided to remove this feature for RX8 and people are taking note. It's not just me complaining about it.

I am back to RX7 for Batch Processing until they can fix it. Overall the new Batch Processor is kind of better and has potential but they released it with some serious regressions.
Sorry I thought u meant something else. Long night no sleep 6 month old daughter was up all night doing a lot of hollering and hooting
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

I recently installed the demo for RX8, and am having an issue with the 'connect' plugin within Nuendo. I tried following the steps mentioned here:

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us...base-or-Nuendo

However, after I've pressed the 'send back' button, when I click 'apply' in Nuendo it just sends the same unprocessed clip back to RX? Is this a limitation of the demo? That would be pretty unfortunate as there's no way to test the workflow with RX and Nuendo. It's hard to tell because on the page linked above it states that there's a 'known issue' using 'connect' with Cubase/Nuendo, but it doesn't state what that known issue is.

I just tested the demo with Pro Tools HD v12.7 and the connect plugin worked just fine, and files are processed as expected. So this can't be a demo limitation and must come down to the fact that the connect plugin and Nuendo don't currently get along. FWIW I'm running Nuendo 10.3 on OSX Mojave 10.14.5

Last edited by Benmrx; 10th September 2020 at 06:50 AM..
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm not upgrading because of that. I just sent Izotope's customer support a message. We should all do that.
Old 10th September 2020
Deleted 49af092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
I'm not upgrading because of that. I just sent Izotope's customer support a message. We should all do that.
It's crazy they would even consider releasing RX8 with such a regression of features/options in the new Batch Processor.

I know a number of mastering engineers who are not happy about this and for many, it's a deal-breaker so hopefully if enough noise is made, they'll make it how it should have been before release.
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

Testing the musical rebalance feature in RX8 Advanced which extracts stems from audio material, in this case processing one of my world music loops, isolating the percussive components and more - written descriptions of what I'm doing embedded in the video.

Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampleconstruct View Post
Testing the musical rebalance feature in RX8 Advanced which extracts stems from audio material, in this case processing one of my world music loops, isolating the percussive components and more - written descriptions of what I'm doing embedded in the video.

Do you think they have made big improvements compared to the RX7 music rebalance algorithm?
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
Do you think they have made big improvements compared to the RX7 music rebalance algorithm?
I skipped version 7 and upgraded from 6 to 8 so I don't know.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear