The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Spread by DJ Swivel - Launching today!
Old 1st September 2020
Here for the gear

Software Spread by DJ Swivel - Launching today!

Hey Gearslutz, my name is DJ Swivel, I'm a Grammy winning producer/mixer (Beyonce, Chainsmokers, Coldplay, Jay-Z, BTS) and after launching my first plugin at the top of 2020 called The Sauce, I'm back with number two called Spread. It's a multi-band stereo imager with a couple other helpful features, and for the month of September it's only $15, down from $39.

I use stereo enhancers all the time on my mixes, and so I wanted to build one that has all the features I typically wanted, namely, the ability to change the stereo spread on different frequency bands which I would normally have to go to Ozone for, which isn't great when you want to use it 5 or 6 times in a mix.

There's a couple other really cool features too. For one, it will recognize if it's being placed on a stereo track, or a mono track. If mono it will convert to stereo and allow you to get some amazing width. If you put it on a stereo track, you can actually go both directions, either spreading the signal wider, or making it more mono - again across 3 user definable frequency bands. There's also a Side Filter function which uses an M/S filter to roll off up to 200hz on all low end information in the sides, while leaving the mono information intact. Very helpful for low end muddiness caused by weird stereo information in those lower frequencies. This has an audition button so you can hear exactly what you're filtering out clearly. Finally there's a Tilt function, which will help balance out your left and right levels, without compromising the stereo image. It works simply by raising/lowering the volume of each channel +/-6dB.

Of course all plugins have a free trial simply by creating an account on djswivel.com and each purchase comes with 2 activations and unlimited deactivations - this was something that was suggested by the Gearslutz community when I first launched The Sauce and now we've adopted it across all products, so THANK YOU guys for that suggestion.

As a longtime lurker who discovers a lot of new products here on Gearslutz, I of course wanted to share what I'm working on because you guys really are the most enthusiastic of creators and provide the best feedback, both positive and negative which is super helpful as I continue to design and develop new products. That being said, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I really hope you guys enjoy the product!

Below is all relevant info if you'd like to check it out.
www.djswivel.com/products/spread

Best,

DJ Swivel
Attached Thumbnails
Spread by DJ Swivel - Launching today!-gui.jpg  
Old 1st September 2020
Gear Maniac

Great to see your second release is here and so quick too - I am definitely checking this one out as I am looking for improvements over Polyverse's free Wider (all band widener but introduces chorusey phasey stuff).

Great to see you're launching with demo, enticing intro price and I assume multiple activations. Best of luck with it! I'll report back with my impressions after thorough demo.
Old 1st September 2020
Is it Catalina compatible?
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

I bought The Sauce and love it so will definitely be checking this one out.

EDIT: Couldn't there be a Polar Level incorporated in to it to ensure it will collapse down to mono fine etc?

Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
I bought The Sauce and love it so will definitely be checking this one out.

EDIT: Couldn't there be a Polar Level incorporated in to it to ensure it will collapse down to mono fine etc?

Thanks.
The mono summing thing sounds like a good idea.

Ive demo'd it a bit now and have a few more suggestions for things that I would want:
1) option to make mouse movements linear based, thats how I work and moving side to side for sliders definitely doesnt move finely for me, Im fighting it and while Im the likely ****** I always assign Linear in options and am a happy tweaker after that.
2) the bands are affected on both left and right sides equally, having a mid/side separate controls and L R separate amounts so I can move things in the 180° space in front of me would really be preferrable. The movements as they are now are too exaggerated in their effect, it feels too extreme or too basic, I cant get a nice balance.
3) The sliders are pretty colours which is a big plus for my visual enjoyment but they are also too small, would be good to have solid grabbing ones similar to the big knob in the middle. That one has impact when used (but again to me the movement isn't variable, its on off which doesnt meet my real world needs in my mix, again this could just be me).
4) Mix knob would be welcome to blend positions. This is a mere suggestion.
5) is there an output knob to compensate the spatial changes? I dont think so.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

I have purchased this. Just tried it on a stereo guitar solo with widening in the longer notes and narrowing during the fast passages. Gave me chill bumps. Literally. As used in this instance, it's not an in-your-face kind of thing, yet it adds SO much!

Of course there are other ways to do and automate this, but none this easy... that I'm aware of, at least. Also, the side filter roll off is a handy thing, as is changing the effect by frequency band (super cool).

This thing is so simple and crazy-good. Some good things do still come in small packages.

Do yourself a favor: at least try this.
Old 2nd September 2020
DSK
Lives for gear

Price is definitely friendly and targeted at the mass market, I think you’ll find a lot more enthusiasts going this route.

Curious how it compares to other dynamic widening processors like Type Writer X
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Price is definitely friendly and targeted at the mass market, I think you’ll find a lot more enthusiasts going this route.

Curious how it compares to other dynamic widening processors like Type Writer X
I have Typewriter X, too. X is more appropriate for more out-there kinds of effects. And it's good at those, too. Spread is - in my very limited experience so far - more subtle. Spread adds a "quiet kind of class." Just my limited-experience opinion, though.

They each excel at different things and there's room for both, imho.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

can't wait to give this a try tonight! The interface looks amazing and the functionality fits what I want in a stereo manipulation plug.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone compared this to SideMinderME?

Edit - this looks more useful as a mix tool, will have to demo it :¬)
Old 3rd September 2020
ukm
Gear Maniac

Interesting concept and nice GUI. I tried it with some Studio One projects and got nice results but:
-Parameters are not saved with the project (I can't recall my settings when I open the project again)
-Parameters are not saved with the Studio One preset system

(Win10 64bit; Studio One v4.6)
Old 6th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautman View Post
Is it Catalina compatible?
Absolutely!
Old 6th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukm View Post
Interesting concept and nice GUI. I tried it with some Studio One projects and got nice results but:
-Parameters are not saved with the project (I can't recall my settings when I open the project again)
-Parameters are not saved with the Studio One preset system

(Win10 64bit; Studio One v4.6)
Parameters aren't saved when you save your session? We haven't encountered that bug but would love for you to share this by emailing [email protected] so we can quickly get on a solution for you. That of course should not be the case and didn't ever come up in testing.

Lots of other great suggestions. Thank you guys for that, very helpful and informative as I continue along. You should definitely see new stuff (new sample packs and more) before the end of the year!

Best,

-Swiv
Old 6th September 2020
Gear Head
Just played with it for a short while, but instantly bought it, it’s super intuitive and it’s a kind of spread I don’t get from any other plugin, very fresh and phase coherent. The only weak spot I found was the sliders of the individual frequency bands, the way they behave seems a little odd when using a mouse.
Congrats Swiv to another great tool, also rocking the Sauce a lot and can’t wait what you have in store next! Also congrats to your YouTube channel, very informative and no BS, straight forward!
Old 6th September 2020
ukm
Gear Maniac

Hello Swiv;

I sent a short video to support that shows what happens in Studio One.
Its only the L, M, H, parameters that aren't restored when opening the song/project again.
From the functionality Spread is a very useful tool.
I used other tools from Izotope, Melda a. s. o. for that purpose (also some EQs in MS mode) but with spread I'm faster and the results are fine.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Bought! Haven't even had a chance to work with it yet but UI alone is worth $15!
Old 6th September 2020
Gear Head

Any chance you could add an output gain control in a future update? Some settings can raise or lower the overall volume a few dB, and I'd like to be able to toggle the plugin on/off without hearing a jump in volume.
Old 6th September 2020
M2E
Lives for gear

Cool plugin. After using it, I would highly suggest adding an output knob or fader as increasing the sides brings up the volume. I bought it as I don't own a multi-band imager and thought this was pretty cool.
Also maybe in an update, adding a tune/detune option for the width spreaders to give it that Eventide sound.
So many possibilities on this plugin. Why not add a filter for the Side to go down instead of the Mid going up? A key mixing trick/function when going from the verses to the chorus.

Just a couple idea's there. Great job on simplicity.

Thanks, Marc
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

1. Load up synth that needs to nice and wide
2. Load up Metric AB and use built in full spectrum Correlation meters (or any other plug with the capability)
3. Turn the Spread dial up, set the crossovers, set the percentage amount for each band for max spread while staying in phase

Literally took 2 minutes without opening the manual and nothing but smiles here! Fast, intuitive, great sound. I stole this for $15. Thank you!

EDIT: +1 on Output Gain. Bumps up volume +2db real fast.
Old 6th September 2020
ukm
Gear Maniac

I found out that the L, M, H parameters aren't saved with the song/ project or Studio One preset only if you leave the big wheel in the middle at 0% and do not touch it.
This was the case in my testings since most the time I needed only small adjustments.
If you move the big wheel first and fine adjust LMH later all is OK.
Old 7th September 2020
Gear Maniac
Seems like a cut down version of Nugen Stereoizer (or am i wrong?). Sounds pretty nice though...
Old 8th September 2020
Here for the gear

As far as I can tell, this is not mono compatible when you widen a mono signal. It seems you can get dramatic volume changes in individual tracks that significantly change a mix when summing a mix to mono.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mortaja View Post
As far as I can tell, this is not mono compatible when you widen a mono signal. It seems you can get dramatic volume changes in individual tracks that significantly change a mix when summing a mix to mono.
Yeah it's a stereo widener to be used on stereo tracks. Might work on dual mono but haven't tried that. What you would want is a mono upmixer such as StageOne by Leapwing or Plugin Alliance do one I think.
Old 9th September 2020
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Anyone compared this to SideMinderME?

Edit - this looks more useful as a mix tool, will have to demo it :¬)
So I didn't know what you were talking about so I looked it up. WOW. Downloaded it and WOW!!!

SideMiderZL is well mind blowing. This is for another chat on another thread. Thanks for the hint on it. I'll buy that too.

This plugin is good but I do think they need to add what I mentioned before which it looks like their competition has the same thought process.

Thanks, Marc
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

After using this for about a week, I am noticing it sometimes changes the tone of a signal passing through it, even with all controls neutral. Bypassed has no effect, of course, but this changed color can be in the way at times. I have used this on guitar solos as an effect, and bass guitar and have enjoyed it, and still am enjoying it. Still happy for use with some things.

Today I put it on a drum bus, though, and the top end almost vanished. Couldn't get anything satisfactory in this instance.

Still a happy customer, but it's a bit more limited than I had first noticed, I guess.
Old 23rd September 2020
Lives for gear

REALLY like being able to spread the low frequencies of multi-tracked amp sim guitars using Spread. I generally end up with a very mono low end when using sims that always seemed a bit unnatural. Other spread tools didn't cut it when checking mono. But for some reason using Spread to 'de-centralize' the 300hz and below THEN using the side filter set around 80hz is analog to my ears!
Old 26th September 2020
Here for the gear

It's a cool plugin but yes it lacks an output gain and maybe a stereo meter would be useful to watch what we're doing.
What I like the most is that it has been designed so that we can work fast.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Also the code could be optimized, the plugin takes time to open on Bitwig, windows 10.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear