The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nebula Release- CupReels1 - Ax102
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I have been using both for over a year. N4 and acquas. Not an issue. Not sure where you read that one.

Windows 10, bitwig and reaper.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jariya View Post
Speaking about the Nebula sale.... Could someone please clarify something for me?

Currently, I'm using El Rey and a few other Acqua processors. I really want to add the Cupwise tapes to my productions. My understanding is that both Acqua and N4 CAN NOT (should not) co-exist on the same computer. If true, how to use my Acqua plugins AND Nebula plugins? If I remove all Acqua software and stick only with Nebula, will El Rey, etc work with N4?

I'm not sure what the truth is here. What's the best practice for those that use both types of Acustica Audio processing? (By the way, I'm on Windows 10 using Cubase). Thanks!
Not true at all. Maybe you're confusing it with N4 & N4 Player.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thanks, Ceemusic. Maybe that's the issue. I know I read something from Acustica concerning non-compatiblility of software, but the exact details escape me. It was a while ago. If both Acqua and Nebula can co-exist, then GREAT! If this is indeed the case, I'll make sure to remove all traces of the N4 Player.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 View Post
The sale is on now
Yes, I was thinking about waiting for black friday for the UVI sales, but I've already bought UVI Falcon 2.1 + 2 expansions, UVI Shade, IK Total Studio 2 Max, Softube Model 72, Soundtoys Effectrack, Wavesfactory Eco Cat, Eventide Crushstation + Saturator + TriceraChorus + Undulator, NeOld V76U73, Adaptr Audio Streamliner, Cherry Audio DCO-106 and more.

Today I am considering getting iZotope Music Assistant Bundle crossgrade from any paid iZotope product. $199 and then another 15% off at Audiodeluxe with discount code FALL2020.

My wallet and credit card do not look me in the eye anymore, I might be sleeping on the couch for a while.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgw5 View Post
Oh dear I thought this might be a bit gnarly but I'm stumped at the first stage. I've installed N4 via Aquarius and it crashes Pro Tools and in Ableton it loads but there's no plugin window.

Hmmm - might be making a basic beginner's error here.

Patience
Read the Manual .... install/setup section.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
How does this compare to Taupe? And how useful are the bonus plate reverb presets that are included?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i'd be interested to know what people think of the reverbs myself
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

N4 is €79.00 at the moment.

https://www.acustica-audio.com/store...cts/neb4server
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise View Post
i'd be interested to know what people think of the reverbs myself
To my ears, a brilliant choice of gorgeous variety. In the spring section, the big CX (aka AKG BX 20) beautiful for vocals and sparse track stuff, reel reverb for a bit more linear and less obvious, still plate-like sounds, and the Gibbs tank for el. guitars etc. with its more audible spring character.

Haven't listened to the plate choices so much yet but they sound lovely and different enough from each other to have one fit just what's wished for.

So when the recorded track sounded good on the analog side, i found the AX102 a one stop ITB toolbox for a few tracks already. Groo-vey!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Finally got it all working. N4 was pretty painful to get to grips with but got there in the end.

Two tips would be (Mac Mojave system) - I found it would only work if I didn't have anything in folders in the various Nebula repository folders. So for various tape sample rates, things were in their folders on the download but I had to take them out and add them in a long list for Nebula to see them - in the Vector and Program folders I think. This may be obvious for a Nebula user but stumped me for an hour as nothing was appearing in Nebula's finder.

I also had to downgrade the N4 version - in my case down to RO21 May 2020 version as the newer ones didn't have Setup buttons.

Ah also - register before purchasing if you've never bought from Cupwise otherwise the purchase won't appear in your user account.

A few bumps along the way but well well worth it. What a sound and incredible value!!!

I can see quite a few Cupwise and Tim P libraries being added to this one here.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally got it all working. N4 was pretty painful to get to grips with but got there in the end...

A few bumps along the way but well well worth it. What a sound and incredible value!!!

I can see quite a few Cupwise and Tim P libraries being added to this one here.
Congrats on getting everything going! Cupwise and TimP have some pretty sweet libraries.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks Wagz

Seems like Nebula is a whole new world - or rabbit hole! Will get the standard comps and EQs but might be a tightwad and see if there's a bit of a discount for Black Friday. Also seems another Nebula developer will be releasing a 33609 so am eagerly awaiting that.

Got some goosebumps going with the Ax102 in tape mode. Couldn't get the saturation/compression to sound how I remembered my old ATR but I probably haven't worked out the gain staging. Haven't had a chance to try the reverbs yet.

Insane value and quality compared to the other tapes I've tried including IK which has been my favorite so far.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Wagz

Seems like Nebula is a whole new world - or rabbit hole! Will get the standard comps and EQs but might be a tightwad and see if there's a bit of a discount for Black Friday. Also seems another Nebula developer will be releasing a 33609 so am eagerly awaiting that.
you might also want to have a look at my S-609A or even C254E comps

and yes you always put the .n2p files directly in the programs folder, and .n2v files directly in the vectors folder. i just kept the sample rates separate so it'd be a little better organized and easier to pick which sample rates users want to install. you can also email me for support, directly if you have my email already, or through the contact page at my site
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I've earmarked the 33609 and the C660 for Black Friday assuming there may be a slight discount then. Phasers look very tempting as does the C245E etc etc. The 33609 might test my patience too much to wait. A rabbit hole for sure. The value is so great however that I know it wouldn't be the end of the world to get a few that don't quite click for the ones that really do.

I't s a real shame that there's no way to demo these in Nebula as I'd love to try them all and then get the ones that click. Have I missed a way to demo these?

So far I'm 100% 1 out of 1 in my Nebula adventure

I did actually email through the contact form on the website but haven't had a reply - it was about seeing if I could get the purchase linked to my account as I didn't register beforehand. Not a biggie.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I saw that Cupwise does a good custom bundle discount so went for a comp bundle as I guessed it would work out roughly the same to a BF deal as based on last year's offer.

Here goes with the install. Starting with the 33609. Exciting times diving into this new world of sound.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Installation of 33609 was a doddle - just chuck in the Vector and Program files - making sure to take them out of their folders.

Skin was ok but no hand holding in how to create setups. I guess I'll learn that later and figure it out for various libraries.

Oh man the sound. I wonder if I have some kind of Stockhausen syndrome with N4 now. I had such a difficult time getting it working to the point where I nearly gave up several times and nearly smashed my computer screen - and now after AX102 and this - both of which give me feels and chills in my bones that I haven't had from other plugs. Up until recently I've massively appreciated how much better plugs have become since I had a studio and lots of hardware. And I didn't really notice any difference because this was over 10 years ago. But listening to these two gives me the feeling the hardware used to give. Twiddling the knobs feels fun and like playing an instrument - kind of 'grooving' - instead of trying to 'get it right'.

Will install the rest, give it all a good rest. This was the last thing I was expecting - I just wanted a good ATR and 33609 but there's something here that feels better than anything else I've heard in software - maybe apart from Unisum which also gave me chills.

Thanks to Cupwise for the very good custom bundle deal. Will finish the set with Timp later as he does an equally generous one so no advantage to waiting for BF.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I did actually email through the contact form on the website but haven't had a reply - it was about seeing if I could get the purchase linked to my account as I didn't register beforehand. Not a biggie.
i'm not seeing that email anywhere

i'll contact you directly here at gearslutz and give you my email address

Quote:

Skin was ok but no hand holding in how to create setups. I guess I'll learn that later and figure it out for various libraries.
none of my comps have skin 'setups' yet, not officially, except C254E. i'm eventually sending out updates for those. but the skin install manual that they already have included with them does give you step by step instructions on installing the (currently simpler, less good) skins for n4.

when i send out the updates it will have a new skin with new install process so you may want to just wait to install the n4 skins until later, should be soon-ish. i may send out 609 next.

also i want to point out that the manual does in fact say this:
Just copy the .n2p files to your Nebula 'Programs' folder, and the .n2v files
to the 'Vectors' folder.

it's pretty specific. not trying to be rude but just pointing out that i've been getting a lot of emails with issues lately that i think would've been avoided if people read the manual(s) more closely. granted, this stuff is more complicated than a typical vst but a lot of it boils down to simply copying some files to folders on your hard drive
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
If someone buys one product and then a load more - even if they don't figure out how to install them correctly, I'd think that in your first contact with them, it would make sense to at least say thanks for your support and be a little bit polite, rather than stating that they didn't RTFM.
I think your being a bit sensitive, I think your previous messages were all about how much difficulty you’ve had installing and Tim was just pointing out that you could have saved some headaches by reading the manual. It’s true though, Nebula is complicated as hell as a newbie. I had to read a lot of forums before I got the hang of it. Worth it though. Check the nebula forum on Acustica site and you should find a load of links to free programs and check demo links on developers sites. Here’s TimPs:

https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/demos/
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I'll be going to Tim P next for sure.

I agree oversensitive but some of what he's said is just not true. In the AX102 skins manual - they provide Setups. So I mentioned that in the other ones they don't. That's just an observation.

Anyway.. I'll leave it be. Looking forward to trying the 660 and Lunchpail. The 36609 was amazing as was the ATR102 so I'm more than grateful for that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll be going to Tim P next for sure.

I agree oversensitive but some of what he's said is just not true. In the AX102 skins manual - they provide Setups. So I mentioned that in the other ones they don't. That's just an observation.

Anyway.. I'll leave it be. Looking forward to trying the 660 and Lunchpail. The 36609 was amazing as was the ATR102 so I'm more than grateful for that.
i pointed out that you could have contacted me and i would've gladly helped you. i get people who have all kinds of issues pretty regularly and i do what i can to help them, even if i start to notice they maybe didn't read the manual and i'm just rewriting what i already spent time writing once before, and to a degree it's fine, i don't mind. you were talking about smashing your computer though, and i just pointed out that the manual specifically says the files, not the folders they're contained in, need to be moved to the proper folders.

for one thing i have an interest in pointing out that in my opinion, i have well written manuals (not perfect), because if someone is talking about smashing their computer it might scare away future customers. so yeah i subtly pointed out that the info was in the manual, and i just quoted it so people could see what it says. i said i wasn't trying to be rude, but that it could've saved you some trouble if you read it a little closer or even contacted me.

i don't know how else i could've wrote that passage to make it more clear, and if i had all the .n2p/.n2v files grouped together for all sample rates, instead of having them kept separate in labelled folders, someone else might email me to complain of lack of organization. this is the nature of this stuff, there's no perfect way of doing any of it that solves everyone's problems.

like i just said, the reason there isn't any setups for the comp is because there are no setups for it yet (i'm agreeing with you that there aren't any). that will be in an update soon. the manual still does explain how to install the current n4 skins, step by step.

until very recently it was assumed that nebula 4 couldn't have skins with buttons that allowed you to switch programs, so we've had simpler skins that didn't have them. recently it was discovered it can have those kinds of skins. the older, simpler skins don't need setup files, they have a simpler install process. so far AX102 and my tube radios mic'd are the only two products that have that kind of setup. soon there will be an update with updated n4skins and with the setups and guide for installing them.

sorry you feel insulted or whatever, all i can say is if you'd like i could give you full refunds on everything. just contact me if you'd like, no hard feelings on my end, i'm happy to support customers but if they don't like my product or how i'm handling something i'll happily refund you too. but i'm pretty sure everything i said is true. on the other hand if you'd like to stay a customer or even still need help with something, send me an email and let me know and i'll gladly help out
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Perhaps we can draw a line under this and agree to disagree on a few points so as not to derail the thread any further. The Ax102 is an extraordinary piece of work as are many of the Cupwise plugs.

If I said I felt like smashing my computer screen I'm guessing many people can relate - it was with some artistic license, just like when I said the plugin gave me 'chills in my bones'. It's not all literal -I was trying to express how I was feeling.

I've found it a frustrating process but I never said it wasn't worth it or that the product wasn't great.

It seems like you feel that you've done your best to guide people through it. As you're selling these plugins, in this somewhat unusual format, I would have thought that you'd see it as part of your job description, and not an irritant, to help people who've bought your product to get it working, whether they may be 'dense' like me or more technically minded.

I also resent a little bit the suggestion that I haven't read the manual - apart from the first message when obviously I hadn't because I'd just installed it that moment. I then left it five days realising this was something new and downloaded, highlighted, noted and went through the manuals several times. I got it working, by using the manuals, and then made comments based on that experience. If I still made mistakes then so be it, but it wasn't through a lack of thoroughness.

Jeez - all this came from me praising the product, buying a load more of them based on that good first impression, and making some comments on the process.

Anyway - as it stands, I can't actually get the 660 to work but am amazed at how good the AX102 and 33609 are. However this experience has left me feeling like I'll leave it here, 660 or not, as I don't want to have any more interactions.

I've expressed frustration in the process getting to the end product, but admiration at that product. As a customer all I've received as a message is 'RTFM'. That doesn't make me want a refund, but doen't make me feel full of positivity either.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

also, i appreciate the fact that my product was the first one you bought for nebula4, and it may have even had a part in you getting nebula in the first place. and not just you but it seems like a few other people, since the n4 sale, who were waiting for it to go on sale, specifically wanted to get in partly because of AX102. it feels nice that something i made seems to be resonating with people so much, and seeing all the really great comments people are making across the thread (even some people who used tape decks for years, just wow). really, it took me by surprise, i had no idea this thing would be this popular (have i said this already?). its been years since i've put something out where i saw some people saying they got nebula specifically for that thing, so it's really cool to see again.

i think you should be 'over the hump' so to speak, if you got AX102 fully installed, including the skins. because the skin for it is kind of a new thing, at least for n4, and it's a bit more complicated than skins have been for n4 up till recently. so i think if you figured that out, hopefully it should be relatively 'smooth sailing' from here on out. and believe i me, i know all about how nebula can be frustrating and some *tiny* mistake can lead to hours of searching what went wrong. actually making these things, in my opinion, can be 10x more confusing than just using them. i've nearly pulled my hair out probably dozens of times, yrs ago. it finally got easier after i found all the 'booby traps', or a lot of them anyway. which only took about 6-7yrs (i understand that the current sampling tech which im not privy to since i'm unofficial now, may be easier to use but that's another topic entirely)

i had a lot of fun along the way too tho!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the understanding.

And thanks for the great plugs. The ATR is within one day my favorite sounding plug - and while I can't remember my beautiful Aria ATR too well - it is giving me those feelings so I couldn't ask for more -whatever the bumps in the road

We all need a big hug in these times I'd say and sorry to contribute to any disharmony.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i do take helping people as part of the job and i feel/hope i have a pretty decent/good track record at responding to emails (i feel like 95%+ of the time it's within a day for 10yrs). you never contacted me tho and your first post in the thread wasn't really asking for help and it seemed like you were figuring things out

if you want help with c660 i'd be glad to, just email me
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

As much as I and Tim from Cupwise don't seem to get along sadly, and hopefuly we can reconcile some time soon. Holy Cow - ATX and 33609 - are the best sounding plugs I've ever bought.

I've just spent two hours with them on a stereo track which may not be the best test, but I've been slotting in all my other plugs. These two just don't stop the groove. I've been using Comps and Tapes - not eqs. And so many comps pump and break up - and the tapes just don't sound 'good'. I've no idea what is goingon but these two are like the old Pioneer DJ mixers - whatever you did sounded good and felt good.

So anyway - that's my conclusion after a few hours of messing about - wow wow wow.

Take it easy on the input of the ATR - it's not designed for a hammering (as far as I can tell) but you'll get something beatiful out of it.

And the 33609 - as far as I can tell you can do what you want with it and it will forgive you all your sins. A whole different world to the IK or any other sim I've come across so far. Congrats.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I'm comparing 609 to the IK. And again it may be Stockhausen but the IK sounds so thin and brittle in comparison. It feels like the 609 is operating like an elastic band - as hardware does?(I don't know as I sold the hardware over 10 years ago ffs) - but the IK is breaking up and sounding nasty in various settings.

This could well be in my imagination of course.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm comparing 609 to the IK. And again it may be Stockhausen but the IK sounds so thin and brittle in comparison. It feels like the 609 is operating like an elastic band - as hardware does?(I don't know as I sold the hardware over 10 years ago ffs) - but the IK is breaking up and sounding nasty in various settings.

This could well be in my imagination of course.
I think that's a bit unfair to the IK collection. For instance, on some material tape machine 24 is perfect. Yes it's a little bit brighter, but that can be exactly what you need on some masters, and what it does sounds great. You also have the opportunity to roll back the highs in a subtle way if you want.

Similarly you probably want to boost highs a little bit going into the AX102, with a very good EQ like Erin.

I look at AX102 as the best all-rounder, and I like the dynamics section a lot too.

But I wouldn't want to be without IK tape machine 24, as is sometimes comes out on top on certain material.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise View Post
i'm not seeing that email anywhere.
You might want to check whether your contact form is working. I sent you a message on an issue not related to this tape emu right at its release, and haven’t gotten a response.

My issue isn’t mission critical, and I figured you might have your hands full, so I’ve been waiting to contact you again. I believe I have your direct email, so no worries there.

All the best!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hi Topgear,

I agree the IK tapes are great. I meant the IK 33609 prob wasn't clear on that.
The IK33609 was the best 33609 plug that I'd found up til now and this Cupwise one for me blows it away.

You mention that you're enjoying the dynamics version of the AX102. Is that as a very subtle thing? I haven't found a way to get a satisfying 'squash' out of it but I know it's not designed for that, as the machine itself wasn't. I wonder if it could be something to do with different tape formulations. I think I was using GP9 with it and it could squash in a very satisfying way.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
You might want to check whether your contact form is working. I sent you a message on an issue not related to this tape emu right at its release, and haven’t gotten a response.

My issue isn’t mission critical, and I figured you might have your hands full, so I’ve been waiting to contact you again. I believe I have your direct email, so no worries there.

All the best!
hi
it seems like it's working, i've been getting a lot of emails through it lately. could be that, i think i've seen a few cases where people with particular ISPs or maybe from specific regions, i think over the years it happened a couple of times where someone said their messages never went through the contact form. so, maybe could be something like that. but don't hesitate to email me if you need help

Quote:

And the 33609 - as far as I can tell you can do what you want with it and it will forgive you all your sins. A whole different world to the IK or any other sim I've come across so far. Congrats.

thanks. all my comps have had countless hrs/time put into them, especially considering i've gone back and updated all of them many multiple times with small and even several major updates. they're all well beyond what they were upon original release.

Quote:
You mention that you're enjoying the dynamics version of the AX102. Is that as a very subtle thing? I haven't found a way to get a satisfying 'squash' out of it but I know it's not designed for that, as the machine itself wasn't. I wonder if it could be something to do with different tape formulations. I think I was using GP9 with it and it could squash in a very satisfying way.
try increasing the 'trim' control more. i don't think i actually mentioned this in the manual, but the whole reason the dynamics program needed its own separate skin is because it has a different amount of input padding, which throws off the input meter if you just load it into the main skin (i kind of wish it wasn't on the main skin at all now). the reason it has different input padding, is because i actually 'extended' the amount of overdrive into it, beyond what was sampled (which i didn't do with the main tape programs, and wouldn't really be possible in the same way anyway). so basically, the entire 'knee' of where the compression starts with the dynamics program was all captured in the sampling, but where it flattens out and turns into hard limiting, i extended that to allow something like another 20dB of limiting beyond what was actually sampled. with a really hot input or just using trim control to drive it far, you can get something around 25dB of hard limiting before it 'breaks up'

of course, the tip in the manual about keeping the trim control setting on the dynamics program and on any of the main tape programs you might be pairing it with at the same settings, won't work if you want that much limiting, because the tape programs will break up much earlier (because they 'run out' of what was actually sampled at lower levels of drive). so driving the dynamics section like that is just kind of a bonus possibility that goes beyond what was sampled.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear