The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Forager Chord Explorer by Harvest Plugin
Old 28th August 2020
Lives for gear

Forager Chord Explorer by Harvest Plugin

Hadn't seen anyone post about this but it seems like a pretty cool tool, and it's 50% off at the moment.

https://harvestplugin.com/forager/

A fresh, exciting chord progression is a perfect way to inspire amazing melodies, bass lines and drum patterns.

But sometimes our habits keep us from writing chord progressions that truly inspire us.

Forager presents a way of creating unique chord progressions that helps do just that.

✔️ Easily Play All Chords Using an Actual MIDI Instrument (don't kill creativity by dragging and dropping)
✔️ Use the Element of Surprise to Explore New Vibes (using Forager is actually FUN)
✔️ Break Out of Your Usual Patterns (Forager provides an entirely new workflow guaranteed to get you creating songs you never imagined)
✔️ Control the Complexity of Your Chords (easily break out of key without creating chaos in your track)
✔️ Originality-Centric Workflow (take all the creative credit, don't use packs someone else made)
✔️ Made For All Genres Of Music (control how simple or complex you make your chord progressions)
✔️ Usable With Any Sound (you can play all your chords & progressions with your favorite instruments & synths)
✔️ Compatible With Most DAWs (plus both Mac & PC)
Old 28th August 2020
Gear Nut

this is great, thanks!
Old 28th August 2020
Lives for gear

I can't find a demo on there
Old 28th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
I can't find a demo on there
There is a pretty in depth video that shows all the features I watched. Might pick it up, looks fun.
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
There is a pretty in depth video that shows all the features I watched. Might pick it up, looks fun.
Watching somebody else use a plugin it's different then your own environment and experience. I wish they had a demo. Ita cheap but useless it's useless and I have similar plugins I want to see if this is different, better or overlap
Old 31st August 2020
Gear Head

They have a 30-days money back guarantee.
Old 31st August 2020
Here for the gear

Watched the video. I've used Cthulhu a lot and this is pretty different. Doesn't seem to overlap that much. Buying it tonight.
Old 31st August 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah, no demo. I purchased it, though. With the 30 day money back offer, nothing to lose. Plus it means no limitations at all during that 30 days.

I particularly favor the idea of this suggesting chords I may have never considered and fostering creativity. Time will tell if it's a keeper. I expect it to be, but the 30 day offer is most generous. We'll see.
Old 1st September 2020
Here for the gear

Works like in the video. Very useful. Something I noticed with FL Studio: Forager settings reset when you close the project. Better to burn the midi right away or store a preset in the wrapper.
Old 1st September 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone know if you can do slash chords with this?
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourpadre View Post
Works like in the video. Very useful. Something I noticed with FL Studio: Forager settings reset when you close the project. Better to burn the midi right away or store a preset in the wrapper.
Gabe from Harvest Plugins here: I just wanted to let you know that we've updated Forager so that it will remember the Grid from project to project. We're working on getting the other settings to save, but at least now you can keep the chords you generated.

The update can be found at https://harvestplugin.com/forager-development
Old 13th September 2020
This is super inspiring and very well designed. Demo'd for 5 minutes and bought!
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabepoissant View Post
Gabe from Harvest Plugins here: I just wanted to let you know that we've updated Forager so that it will remember the Grid from project to project. We're working on getting the other settings to save, but at least now you can keep the chords you generated.

Thanks for commenting, Gabe! Question: can you select which inversion you want of each chord or cycle/arrow through each possible inversion? It looks like this isn't possible, having watched the video, but if the "octave" arrow actually cycled the inversion down or up the keyboard, it seems like that would be more useful. Of course three clicks of the down arrow on a triad would move the exact chord shape down an octave, so you'd still maintain the octave function.

Thanks!
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainofjars View Post
Thanks for commenting, Gabe! Question: can you select which inversion you want of each chord or cycle/arrow through each possible inversion?
Thanks!
We're working on inversions! I hesitate to make promises but I can say that we're thinking about it and looking into it actively. We're aiming to add more controls to the grid for inversions, independent of octave.
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
We're working on inversions! I hesitate to make promises but I can say that we're thinking about it and looking into it actively. We're aiming to add more controls to the grid for inversions, independent of octave.
That works too of course. Just thinking about the challenge of walking that line between ease of use and enough options to make the necessary harmonic judgements about which chords work and which don't. An inversion change can make a "wrong" chord suddenly work because it introduces a logical movement of one or more of the voices. If I were using the plugin, I would just cycle up and down the inversion of a possible chord candidate to see if any of them made the chord suddenly work with this or that other chord or just within the 16-chord palette; this would basically replace the need for the octave function for me.

Having to play/hear each chord in root position really hinders the ability to make harmonic judgments and build a progression.

I would buy the plugin if it had this functionality.

Thanks for replying really quickly!
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainofjars View Post
That works too of course. Just thinking about the challenge of walking that line between ease of use and enough options to make the necessary harmonic judgements about which chords work and which don't. An inversion change can make a "wrong" chord suddenly work because it introduces a logical movement of one or more of the voices. If I were using the plugin, I would just cycle up and down the inversion of a possible chord candidate to see if any of them made the chord suddenly work with this or that other chord or just within the 16-chord palette; this would basically replace the need for the octave function for me.

Having to play/hear each chord in root position really hinders the ability to make harmonic judgments and build a progression.

I would buy the plugin if it had this functionality.

Thanks for replying really quickly!
Totally agree, this thing really needs inversions. That’s what’s holding me back from pulling the trigger right now.
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Head

And the next thing it really needs is midi drag and drop. Both from the grid and from the chord list. There should be settings for drag and drop where are you said how long you want the notes to play, i.e., eighth note, Quarter note, half note, Whole note.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:

So much more easy to work with now, thanks for the update.

I have also a request : So that the Forager can also send midi through above the chord notes to the instrument,
if a switch is set to allow that on the GUI. Then I can jam on the chords that are generated randomly. I am using the
Forager as a midi plugin in Logic X.
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Addict

This is very cool. It takes the functionality of my Arturia keylab mkii pads but with less cumbersome programming. Bought!
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

It was a keeper for me, too. And the update is most appreciated, Gabe.
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Addict

I've watched the video, I've read this thread, and I'm still a bit confused about the end result (trying to clarify before possibly purchasing). Once I find a progression I like, I would record me "playing through" that progression in Forager's midi track (via playing one note at a time), and then Forager would have to continue to exist on that track to trigger the progressions... right? There's no way to "export" or "extract" the actual notes of the generated chords?
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Nut

Is there a workaround to make it work on Protools? With a wrapper maybe? Are you planning an AAX version? Thanks!
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
I've watched the video, I've read this thread, and I'm still a bit confused about the end result (trying to clarify before possibly purchasing). Once I find a progression I like, I would record me "playing through" that progression in Forager's midi track (via playing one note at a time), and then Forager would have to continue to exist on that track to trigger the progressions... right? There's no way to "export" or "extract" the actual notes of the generated chords?
What you do is route the MIDI out from Forager to a new MIDI track, then you record yourself playing the progression and the MIDI note chords are recorded on this second MIDI track. You can then go in and edit them etc, and these new notes are obviously saved on the the second track, so you could then delete Forager and you would still have the chord progression you recorded.

This page explains how you would set it up in different DAWs

https://harvestplugin.com/forager-help/#setup
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by casadios View Post
Are you planning an AAX version?
From their FAQ:

"Pro Tools compatibility a goal but there is no estimated time frame as of now."
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok87 View Post
What you do is...
Awesome, thanks for the response. Exactly what I wanted to know. I'll give it a try! Thanks!
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Addict

Bought it, I like it, but would be nice to have a simple Octave Up/Down button. I prefer the sound of an octave down to audition the chords.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Bought it, I like it, but would be nice to have a simple Octave Up/Down button. I prefer the sound of an octave down to audition the chords.
Me 2, that would speed up the workflow.
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
... There's no way to "export" or "extract" the actual notes of the generated chords?
If you happen to work in Logic, there's a free utility called "MIDI Freeze" that works as a MIDI FX-plugin.

Super handy to have, especially when you work with Randomizer and Scripter. It even records the LFO/Env from Modulator.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

It's too bad that I just found this thread. I won't be able to deal with it in the next 31 minutes, by which time the sale ends.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

OK, I just got off the phone: I have a mortgage arranged against my house in case I need it on Black Friday.

Last edited by razorboy; 18th September 2020 at 11:33 PM..
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear