sonible releases source-adaptive reverb plug-in - Page 2 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sonible releases source-adaptive reverb plug-in
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Not working properly in Cubase Pro 10.5 on Windows 10 x64 in VST 2 or VST 3 - just get a noise.

So I tried it out in Maschine where it does work albeit only supported there as a VST 2.

Not sure about this one after quick initial testing. I kind of agree with @ vitocorleone123 in his comments above so far.

I'll continue some testing and inform Sonible about the Cubase issue. Anyone else on Cubase/Windows 10 combination?
Works well on cubase 10.5/windows with vst3 over here
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Nut

Been trying it on a few different sources, last hour or two, wasn’t grabbed by the sound at first, started by trying the automatic detection on a pad type sound, which had already gone through an fx chain to push it back in the distance, bought it forward a touch and added a bit of solidity.

Tried it on a mid layer of a reece type sound just to see what it would do for the growl, added a nice touch of space in isolation, but combined with the other bass layers, I preferred it dryer in the mix.

Where it really started to shine was when it tried it on a snare layer I was happy with, which also had other percussion elements for tiny bit of shuffle, set it to the snare setting, sounded a bit heavy handed, changed it to drums, still a bit too weighty for what I wanted with this snare. Tried the guitar setting, sounded loads better, then I started tweaking the decay controls in the analyzer section, my word, things got very interesting.

Bought all three tabs on the 2k layer in quite tight, 200 layer was tight in the first two time settings then lose on the third more distant one. After I’d adjusted the eq curve to take out some lo end, it sounded like a wispy plate, which I know sounds dumb, but it had the density of a plate, but this really nice high end too, dulled but still present. I’d been looking for a dampening control before realising the color setting underneath the x-y pad goes into negative values. Set the clarity to 100, it sounded very modern, like a combination of different types of reverb, but blended cohesively.

Even though it’s billed as a smart set and forget type of deal, it’s a tweakers paradise when you start adjusting all the different settings, the analyser with the bokeh looking things is very useful outside of eye candy, finding it sounded like the body and tail of the reverb was modulating heavily, after pulling in and pushing out some of the decay for the frequency and time tabs, but seeing it visualised swirling about was helpful.

I was underwhelmed at first as it sounded so-so a bit artificial, which has its place, but you can coax it to do interesting things, gives it an organic vibe when it comes to movement, can then further shape it to kind of get the reverb out of the way a bit and have the motion as more of the focus, in a way where all the interesting details don’t bog down the original sound, or totally go in the opposite direction. I’m not going to talk about the voucher, as I was forsaken.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
To all devs that include the ability to adjust stereo width. Can you please include the option to define where on the spectrum the width adjustments occur. Would really like to only widen the highs on the reverb. But it seems that adjusting the width affects the entire spectrum and you can get out of phase real quick below 1k.

A simple knob that splits where the width increase or decrease happens is all that's needed and would be a great addition in smartREVERB....unless I'm missing something?
And tempo sync for the pre-delay. A ducker would also have been nice.

About spread: Perhaps you could set the reverb to decay the low end faster, and at the same time increase the spread over time? A workaround would be to use something like quadimage from IK multimedia you to process bands independently. Gaffel from Klevgränd or waves multimod rack is another option. Obviously a lot more convenient to have it built-in.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyr View Post

About spread: Perhaps you could set the reverb to decay the low end faster, and at the same time increase the spread over time? A workaround would be to use something like quadimage from IK multimedia you to process bands independently. Gaffel from Klevgränd or waves multimod rack is another option. Obviously a lot more convenient to have it built-in.
I thought Clarity was functionally a ducker (might be algo from smartcomp)
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Others finding it CPU hungry?

(My Mac was made shortly after the last Ice Age, so there's that . . . )

Maybe not enough time with it, but to me it's harsh compared to Relab's plugs.
If you are finding it harsh, just put the pointer to the top right corner (natural and rich) and pull down the color option in to the negative values. Also at bottom right hand corner of plug in open up basic EQ and use Low Pass Filter.

Yeah it tends to use more CPU than some other reverbs I have but doesn't seem too bad really and I have been testing it out tracking at low sample rates.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Works well on cubase 10.5/windows with vst3 over here
Yeah same here now - I put another post after that one saying I had uninstalled, re-installed and that it was working fine now.

Cheers.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

The Clarity acts as a ducker.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
I thought Clarity was functionally a ducker (might be algo from smartcomp)
Yeah it is.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
The Clarity acts as a ducker.
For me, this might be the best part of the verb. I always found the sidechain in the comp to be the most ingenious part. The ducker in the verb is just spooky, genuinely never heard anything like it. I need to generally test the verb more for tone, usability etc. but that ducker will make it an excellent choice for subtle insert reverb duties. Defo worth it for that.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict

Yes, I was impressed with the ducker too. I can clearly hear what it is doing when I solo the reverb, but it is automating a process that would be annoying to set up by hand. And it's completely trivial - just adjust to taste.

I've done the usual "no way am I reading the manual" approach to testing this, but have now decided I need to read the manual to work out some more details.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

This reverb is exactly what I would expect from AI driven philosophy. The tone shaping is so deep. But there a couple things I think are missing that would have made this 'smarter' and bit more creative without having to follow it up with additional plugs:

1. Multiband Stereo Width control. But a single split would do the trick!

2. HP/LP and at least 2 EQ bands. I'd settle for just HP/LP and 1 band. But there is always an area I'd dip and 1 area I'd boost

3. I know saturation isn't Sonibles 'thing' so why not include some modulation/shimmer/diffusion options. Infinite and freeze are cool, but why stop there?

Gonna give it a week and decide on whether to buy or not. If I do buy it will be more to support the further development of the plug. It lacks a little 'wow' factor that could be improved quickly with some additional functionality, IMO.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssamson View Post
For me, this might be the best part of the verb. I always found the sidechain in the comp to be the most ingenious part. The ducker in the verb is just spooky, genuinely never heard anything like it. I need to generally test the verb more for tone, usability etc. but that ducker will make it an excellent choice for subtle insert reverb duties. Defo worth it for that.
same - I dont think this is a reverb for when one wants a lush reverb, where the reverb is an obvious effect even if lovely. I am comparing against my other reverbs mainly for workflow - set up adaptive reverb and then see how quickly I can get something as good using my other tools. So far something like Eventide UltraReverb seems quickest - and maybe toneboosters reverb 4
Still not really checked for CPU
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
This reverb is exactly what I would expect from AI driven philosophy. The tone shaping is so deep. But there a couple things I think are missing that would have made this 'smarter' and bit more creative without having to follow it up with additional plugs:

1. Multiband Stereo Width control. But a single split would do the trick!

2. HP/LP and at least 2 EQ bands. I'd settle for just HP/LP and 1 band. But there is always an area I'd dip and 1 area I'd boost

3. I know saturation isn't Sonibles 'thing' so why not include some modulation/shimmer/diffusion options. Infinite and freeze are cool, but why stop there?

Gonna give it a week and decide on whether to buy or not. If I do buy it will be more to support the further development of the plug. It lacks a little 'wow' factor that could be improved quickly with some additional functionality, IMO.
Definitely agree the EQ could use more bands as at the moment it will prevent one from being able to quickly set it up as an insert as opposed to a send effect if you want more detailed EQing before it comes back in to the mix.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Definitely agree the EQ could use more bands as at the moment it will prevent one from being able to quickly set it up as an insert as opposed to a send effect if you want more detailed EQing before it comes back in to the mix.
I think it's a pre-filter EQ. Gotta read the manual. I'm cool with 2 bands feeding the reverb, but for it to be all-in-one some post Reverb 'shaping' would be great!
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Head
I like Sonible products. I've got most of them - SmartEQ, SmartComp, Proximity and Entropy. However, I just cannot convince myself I'd use this over the other reverbs I have, especially when one has invested so much in plugins like Altiverb and the Eventide series.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc4rter View Post
I like Sonible products. I've got most of them - SmartEQ, SmartComp, Proximity and Entropy. However, I just cannot convince myself I'd use this over the other reverbs I have, especially when one has invested so much in plugins like Altiverb and the Eventide series.
I have to say I am in the same boat - I have been testing it and it is good - but I have more than enough reverbs already - and not just reverbs!!
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

There are some fairly unique possibilities with smartREVERB. I took a mono guitar track. Ran the learn feature. Dial up a setting on the Matrix pad. Brought the width all the way down to Zero. Duplicated the send channel. Hard panned the Reverb channels L/R. I then further adjusted the Right channel to compliment the Left. A touch of pre-delay/decay shaping/and Matrix 'moving' resulted in a cool sound. Liking it more and more....
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are some fairly unique possibilities with smartREVERB. I took a mono guitar track. Ran the learn feature. Dial up a setting on the Matrix pad. Brought the width all the way down to Zero. Duplicated the send channel. Hard panned the Reverb channels L/R. I then further adjusted the Right channel to compliment the Left. A touch of pre-delay/decay shaping/and Matrix 'moving' resulted in a cool sound. Liking it more and more....
I tend to agree. The deeper you dive with this plugin the more things you can achieve with the sounds. I actually think it is very creative even disregarding the AI element. For me it won't be utilised as a set and forget reverb using the AI feature but rather when I am looking for some really specific sounding reverb.

I hope Sonible continue to develop this as it is all ready a winner imo but it could be absolutely amazing. I even wouldn't mind a Smart:Reverb 2 with an upgrade fee if the feature implementations were of value.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Others finding it CPU hungry?
Not as much as many other I compared it to, but it will need some juice.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Nut

When I insert a mono/stereo instance on a mono track in PT, the original track comes one on the left channel. Does anyone have the same problem?
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac

I ran it through its paces and it ended up being a pretty disappointing plugin. You can’t make it a lush or very characterful sounding reverb like sonsig, lexicon or briscati. OK, that’s fine. Then what’s left of it is "can it be transparent?". There were much better candidates for that too like Spaces 2 and Acon Reverberate 2. So if effort is not an issue, you get better results with other products.

Then what about time-efficiency? You could argue this saves time. The AI part was not all that impressive either, it made it a bit wetter so more depth but just didn't sound either convincing or better.

The only appeal I see is the editor for decay, width and the ducker(clarity). You can do some unconventional sound design with it but it’s not something you‘d do all that much.

As much as I love the company and smartcomp, I had to be honest and it was not a buy for me even though I got a real good deal (40 Euros)
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post
I ran it through its paces and it ended up being a pretty disappointing plugin. You can’t make it a lush or very characterful sounding reverb like sonsig, lexicon or briscati. OK, that’s fine. Then what’s left of it is "can it be transparent?". There were much better candidates for that too like Spaces 2 and Acon Reverberate 2. So if effort is not an issue, you get better results with other products.

Then what about time-efficiency? You could argue this saves time. The AI part was not all that impressive either, it made it a bit wetter so more depth but just didn't sound either convincing or better.

The only appeal I see is the editor for decay, width and the ducker(clarity). You can do some unconventional sound design with it but it’s not something you‘d do all that much.

As much as I love the company and smartcomp, I had to be honest and it was not a buy for me even though I got a real good deal (40 Euros)
This is an accurate review. I wonder? Do we live in a time where it is more important to give the Youtube pitch men something to fiddle with for 5 minutes and tell us we should just 'buy' because they think it is cool? To be honest, I agree on the decay and clarity functions being the winners here. But did Sonible take it all the way or stop at the this is pretty ok we can sell this point?

Or at least dole out free license to illicit fake positive response?

Much like the music we create, I feel that the plugs that help us shape the sounds we aspire to be under the same microscope.

Is smartREVERB useful? Yes. Is it fully thought out and creativity 'inducive?

Hmmmm.....room for growth. IMO
Old 12th August 2020
wm9
Gear Head

For me, this is great at creating not obvious natural reverbs that you notice just when you turn it off and say "oh my this sounds like trash". It can get pretty creative, but there are better sounding delays for this task.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac

I tried it today. Sounded like ass on a single vocal, but awesome as backing/gang vocal verb.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Head

What is A.I. I'm sure it's not self learning. All it does is apply a preset. You can do the same thing manually, but might need this if you're totally clueless how to program an effect. So I bought the thing since I don't do demos. It's aiight, nothing more. I think the marketing is more interesting than the product. I hope upgrades will eventually make it be worth the introductory price I paid. I would not use this as a main reverb on a vocal or any prominent track, not until this child gain some maturity.

The ears are precious things to waste!
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analag View Post
What is A.I. I'm sure it's not self learning. All it does is apply a preset. You can do the same thing manually, but might need this if you're totally clueless how to program an effect. So I bought the thing since I don't do demos. It's aiight, nothing more. I think the marketing is more interesting than the product. I hope upgrades will eventually make it be worth the introductory price I paid. I would not use this as a main reverb on a vocal or any prominent track, not until this child gain some maturity.

The ears are precious things to waste!
If you are in to plugins I would seriously advise to start making use of the demos/trials available. It takes some time but it can save a lot along the way...
Old 13th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw63 View Post
Am intrigued by this, and have been eagerly anticipating the release. I love the other sonible plugins.

Something I don't understand though is how you would go about sitting things in the same space. I've always followed the advice of having a few reverbs, and sitting elements in those spaces. If I have a different reverb on every track, how do I get any sense of the elements being cohesive? Or do I use this as an extra on top of, say, sending small elements of each track to a room setting on an aux buss?
Buen punto!
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Maniac
Great concept, poorly sounding end result. Even the ableton/logic stock reverb sounds more classy than this.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

There's a review of this now by 'Sound Guy' on GS if anyone wants a read.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's a review of this now by 'Sound Guy' on GS if anyone wants a read.
I saw the '5 Star' rating with no 'Cons'. Interesting...

I might buy it just to support the company and the tech behind it...with the hope that they improve upon the sound and capabilities. It's a cool plug and I've gotten some cool sounds out of it.

I haven't pressed the buy button just yet! But if I do it will be because of the Clarity knob and decay functionality. I don't have anything in the toolbox like it.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear