Empirical Labs is proud to announce the Big FrEQ Plugin - Page 17 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Empirical Labs is proud to announce the Big FrEQ Plugin
Old 14th August 2020
The Distressor's "daddy"

12 Free Licenses and Counting

Audio FrEQs!

Well we expanded the categories for winners and look to be over 12 now. I am tied up with finishing some doc, and will post the categories tomorrow, and PM the winners after the Plug-in Installer is up on our site, in the late afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
WOW, nice looking plugin.

I guess I have a few questions. Not sure if anyone asked but since you are answering questions, I'd love to start...

1. How low will the HPF's and LPF's go? HP 15Hz to 5Khz, LP 10Hz to 20Khz
2. Drive: what is that doing/emulating? Hardware output transformers? Tube? or the same as Arousor? Organic Soft Clipping but not like Arousor
3. Is the Output a clean output? Clean unless you use the FINISHER
4. Is there a 1x oversample option ala No oversampling? Defaults to OS Off 1x
5. If "F" is for Focus and "S" is for Solo, what is "R" for? Range, expands to +-30dB
6. Is there a shortcut for "F" Focus so we can quickly find a freq without hitting "F" ala hold Control and sweep through the freq? Not at this time
7. Will there be a spectrum analyzer - Maybe ;-P
8. Will it have a "Hold Cmd+Drag" to go through freq's incrementally? Ctrl/Drag slows up all knob action, and you'll like the FOCUS Button
9. Option to hide the bottom big numbers - Not at this time
10. Why didn't you add a button on each EQ channel to route to the Finisher? Maybe I would love all the channels or just the high end and leave the lows clean etc. Not at this time
11. No M/S? This is classic style M/S type plugin. Not at this time
12. Why not an input knob in case someone just wants to use the Finisher only but control how much level goes into it? The Drive knob does this perfectly
Old 14th August 2020
GUI reminds me of DMG Equilibium/Equality and the UAD Cambridge EQ, could look slicker. I'll pass this one, I'm well covered in the EQ area and this doesn't seem to be a groundbreaking one, I'm a bit underwhelmed by this release. Still looking for GS members feedback but no will to buy another EQ...
Old 14th August 2020
Dang, coulda called it Equalisor 😝
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
Audio FrEQs!

Well we expanded the categories for winners and look to be over 12 now. I am tied up with finishing some doc, and will post the categories tomorrow, and PM the winners after the Plug-in Installer is up on our site, in the late afternoon.

[/COLOR]
Is one of them the first person to ask whether you were giving a license away like you did with the Arousor launch?
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Nut

Sorry to be that guy, but 18 pages of bad puns and marketing hype for an EQ with a GUI that looks a bit like some Syntheedit Freeware from 15 years ago? Not impressed...
Old 14th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:

Again, it will be available on our website around 3PM EST tomorrow, Friday.

IMG
Anyways in the meantime was taking a look at the pic...
So it seems that the high cut can go lower than the hpf (10 vs 15). Interesting. And super nice we get the 18db filter... For some reason a number of eqs skip from 12 to 24. Well I ain't seen the 12db setting, but I would assume it's there and maybe even the 6db.

Also it can do ripple... The q button, is it? Somethings boosting the top end and there are no other bands or shelves there boosting or cutting.

And it seems that for very narrow cuts the q control does not get there without also working on the slope. For some reason convinced myself that higher slopes are mainly to avoid too much resonance on the center freq, but not e experimented a lot with them in narrow cuts, with the idea that what matters at the bottom should not be too audible.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Hope M/S doesn't take too long (i.e. Opto mode in Arousor)!

Looking forward to taking this for a run Dave, good luck with the release. If it sounds as good as Lil FrEQ I'll be hitting the buy button.
Old 14th August 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzton View Post
Sorry to be that guy, but 18 pages of bad puns and marketing hype for an EQ with a GUI that looks a bit like some Syntheedit Freeware from 15 years ago? Not impressed...
My advice would be not to include a photo of it on the back of any album covers.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
WOW, nice looking plugin. Now a days it's so hard to beat Fabfilter's Dynamic EQ (Clean) and Apogee's Pultec EQ's (Color)/Maag EQ's (Air).

I guess I have a few questions. Not sure if anyone asked but since you are answering questions, I'd love to start...

1. How low will the HPF's and LPF's go?
2. Drive: what is that doing/emulating? Hardware output transformers? Tube? or the same as Arousor?
3. Is the Output a clean output?
4. Is there a 1x oversample option ala No oversampling?
5. If "F" is for Focus and "S" is for Solo, what is "R" for?
6. Is there a shortcut for "F" Focus so we can quickly find a freq without hitting "F" ala hold Control and sweep through the freq?
7. Will there be a spectrum analyzer
8. Will it have a "Hold Cmd+Drag" to go through freq's incrementally?
9. Option to hide the bottom big numbers
10. Why didn't you add a button on each EQ channel to route to the Finisher? Maybe I would love all the channels or just the high end and leave the lows clean etc.
11. No M/S? This is classic style M/S type plugin.
12. Why not an input knob in case someone just wants to use the Finisher only but control how much level goes into it?

Things I noticed that I love to see on EQ Plugins:

1. Full bandwidth on each channel (Thanks!)
2. A meter for THD (Sat)
3. A phase button but can I please add - is there a way to add that to each channel? How many times have we all ran across the lows being out of phase but the highs are great.
4. So when you press "F" it shows the freq's effected I'm guessing. Absolutely brilliant.

Great job.

Marc
I can’t answer any question definitively but with regards to 10:

I imagine doing so would necessitate some type of crossover which means that affecting one band would affect the whole spectrum.
A cross over either means phase shift at the cross over points or pre ringing (And latency!) to some degree if there are phase linear filters used
That type of functionality is something I would expect to see in a full blown distortion or saturation plugin (for example ff’s Saturn 2).
I’m sure empirical labs are capable of that, but personally, I’d rather not have a more utilitarian Eq plugin divide my signal up into several separate, isolated bands.

And with regards to things you like and number 3:

Are you saying a phase switch per left and right channel or a phase switch per band?

A phase switch per band sounds like a nightmare to me.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Addict

GUI looks painful. I guess it sounds good though...
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Maniac
aax dsp?
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Nut
sorry guys, I will wait for Klanghelm eq ...
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
WOW, nice looking plugin. Now a days it's so hard to beat Fabfilter's Dynamic EQ (Clean) and Apogee's Pultec EQ's (Color)/Maag EQ's (Air).

1. How low will the HPF's and LPF's go?
2. Drive: what is that doing/emulating? Hardware output transformers? Tube? or the same as Arousor?
3. Is the Output a clean output?
4. Is there a 1x oversample option ala No oversampling?
5. If "F" is for Focus and "S" is for Solo, what is "R" for?
6. Is there a shortcut for "F" Focus so we can quickly find a freq without hitting "F" ala hold Control and sweep through the freq?
7. Will there be a spectrum analyzer
8. Will it have a "Hold Cmd+Drag" to go through freq's incrementally?
9. Option to hide the bottom big numbers
10. Why didn't you add a button on each EQ channel to route to the Finisher? Maybe I would love all the channels or just the high end and leave the lows clean etc.
11. No M/S? This is classic style M/S type plugin.
12. Why not an input knob in case someone just wants to use the Finisher only but control how much level goes into it?

Things I noticed that I love to see on EQ Plugins:

1. Full bandwidth on each channel (Thanks!)
2. A meter for THD (Sat)
3. A phase button but can I please add - is there a way to add that to each channel? How many times have we all ran across the lows being out of phase but the highs are great.
4. So when you press "F" it shows the freq's effected I'm guessing. Absolutely brilliant.

Great job.

Marc
Hey Marc! Hope you're doing well.

No, the Focus button narrows the frequency knob to +/- octave so you can really dial in the right frequency you're looking for. It's like having a fine-tune mode for frequencies.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

{
get VAR <post number>
get VAR <plug in price>

<GSprice>=<plugin price>/5

<New Post>=<post number>+4

UserPost-<NewPost>
// user post reply on thread //
Quote<post number><p>That's crazy, especially in 2020, I would pay <GSprice> but this is ridiculous!!!! I'm out!!!
}

Seriously for a second, looks like a great plug-in and a likely purchase for me, please excuse my pseudo programming language, I'm sure the plug in has better coding I'll wager that someone runs this applet 4 posts after Dave posts the final details.
Old 14th August 2020
Nice ! Can't wait to try it !
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

audioloud - the big Frequency and Gain readout is kind of a "producers feature" for immediate visibility so they can yell over your shoulder, "Yeah yeah, boost more of that 7.1KHz section", and for small screens of course. You can also double click on those numbers and directly enter from that large Billboard Text.
Well, in that case you forgot to add an all important, small, almost hidden, super coveted and exclusively secret "Eject Producer" button somewhere in the GUI too...
Old 14th August 2020
Lots of features "in the works" on this one. Sounds familiar
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Keith Moore! Good to see you, buddy. It is not AAX-DSP supported initially, but don't you rule it out! It is minimum latency.

Gotta do some more documentation but shall be back in an hour or so. Best!
“Initially” meaning AAX-DSP is coming? Minimum latency for my system means I can use it for mixing and mastering but not in the tracking stage. What we all LOVE about AROUSOR is we can use it from the very get-go and leave it there.
Old 14th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
Big FrEQ. Ok. Wouldn't it be great though telling your girlfriends/wives that you were getting excited about getting some of that Big DEQ this coming weekend? "Babe, don't look at me like that, I'm just ready to eqxpress myself with new knobs and some proper curves, allright?"
More cushion for the pushin.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
More cushion for the pushin.
I will explain the above to those who do not know what it means. It is a reference to the Friends episode where Ross buys a sofa but is too big and gets stuck in the stairway. Pivoting did not eqxactly help. Ross desired a big sofa but did not know to handle it and it just became more cushion for the pushing.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Head

I wonder if any of the winner categories will be for complaining about this post?
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dias View Post
I wonder if any of the winner categories will be for complaining about this post?
I would....gotta give at least one away to the haters!
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Addict

What’s this sucker going to cost? I’m probably in.
Old 14th August 2020
I like the look of the GUI and the teaser thread was fun imo - too many posters here don’t know how to have any fun - this forum is called Gearslutz after all, hardly the most serious name

Don’t need a new EQ at all but will check this out just to see what’s up (pretty covered between Equalibrium and Pro Q 3 for a bread and butter EQ of this type - not sure that anything new can be brought to the table here for my needs)
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

I'd guess circa $200.
Old 14th August 2020
AB3
Lives for gear
I assume we find this out this afternoon? It would be wise to demo it before purchase! I have to say that the hardware was amazingly clear - though it was not easy to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
I'd guess circa $200.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
I assume we find this out this afternoon? It would be wise to demo it before purchase! I have to say that the hardware was amazingly clear - though it was not easy to use.
I've got a stereo pair of the Lil FrEQ's- they are my favourite tracking EQ's.
Can be a bit fiddly due to the layout but otherwise terrific.

I always tend to demo before purchase but I'd probably be prepared to buy this without. I'll see when it is released.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

This looks great.

For those of us who own the Arousor, I hope EL makes an option for you to glue the Big Freq and Arousor GUI's together to create a channel strip. It'd be unstoppable.
Old 14th August 2020
The Distressor's "daddy"

Afternoon gang.

Scramblin to tie up loose ends so folks can start listening today. Only a few hours. Putting together a few posts including the giveaway one. I didn't notice I have 31 danged PM's waiting for me to open. AHhhHHh. That's either a good sign, or a very bad sign. You know, like when the telephone rings late at night.

BTW, we are planning a video or two promptly to show some details, and have some kind folks offering to make some too. I'll be back later after lunch and finishing a few small things.

Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzton View Post
Haaa Herzton. You work for a jealous software developer don't you, and think how can anyone get this much buzz with words and personality only?

AND do you know how long we spent in getting that VINTAGE SOFTWARE GUI look? Months and months... It's not easy nor cheap to look this "classic".... and "cheap"... like from the days of MS DOS. So thank you for letting us know we achieved our goals. It was most important to get the "Look" right, so "Sound" came second.... or third. OK actually fourth. In fact, we have not really listened to the BIG FrEQ yet, because we know for the novice engineer, or competing software company, the look is much more important than the sound. ::wink::

PS Tell your boss I said HI.

Last edited by Dave Derr; 14th August 2020 at 06:26 PM..
Old 14th August 2020
AB3
Lives for gear
I totally agree. I hope the fiddly part is resolved by having it be software.
And by the way - the De-esser is the best ever. So I hope that is in the software too. (I wish I wrote this before Dave responded - he may respond to the de-esser part - sorry if it is already covered in the humongous thread above with the zillion Derr jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
I've got a stereo pair of the Lil FrEQ's- they are my favourite tracking EQ's.
Can be a bit fiddly due to the layout but otherwise terrific.

I always tend to demo before purchase but I'd probably be prepared to buy this without. I'll see when it is released.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear