The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica Audio intros Green4: much-awaited upgrade with 4 plugins derived from 2 iconic studio units
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Acustica Audio intros Green4: much-awaited upgrade with 4 plugins derived from 2 iconic studio units

Product: Green4
Developer: Acustica Audio
Price (MSRP): Special pricing - 129.00€ [Reg. 219.00€] - Save 40% OFF - Intro pricings normally last for 30 days from the date of announcement. Acustica Audio reserves the right to change or modify the duration, terms and conditions of intro pricings and any other promotion at any time and without notice. Please note that Educational codes or any other promo vouchers (with the exception of Acustica Audio’s Loyalty Coupons) can not be used on top of promotional/intro pricings.
Plug-in Format(s): VST, AU, AAX
System Requirements (Windows): Windows 10
System Requirements (OSX): OSX 10.14
Green4 web-page: http://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/green
Green4 User's manual: https://app.box.com/shared/static/pj...9au2jdtoax.pdf

The first version of Green was released back in 2014 and, since then, it has been highly acclaimed by the public despite the technological limitations of the time. Today we are offering you an improved and expanded version of Green, comprising of 4 processors (derived from 2 iconic studio units), to satisfy the demands of mixing and mastering engineers alike.
Green4 includes a 5-band Mono Parametric Equalizer, a 5-band True-Stereo Parametric Equalizer, a 5-band Stereo Parametric Mastering Equalizer and a Stereo Mastering limiter/compressor. It also features our Ultra-gain™ Matching technology, which accurately maps all the gain values for all of the frequencies, to give you utmost precision.

Details

Green4 is a plug-in suite that faithfully emulates industry-standard, high-end processors found in recording studios across the globe, made in the USA and designed by one of the most famous and respected recording engineers in the world, who was also the inventor of the concept of parametric equalization.

What you get

The Green4 suite consists of:

• Green4 Mono Parametric Equalizer (GREEN4EQMX)
A 5-band continuous mono parametric equalizer with high/low shelf filters, +12/-12 dB gain excursion, Q amplitude adjustment for each band, equipped with L-R / MID-SIDE specific controls and a by-passable preamp stage emulation.

• Green4 True-Stereo Parametric Mixing Equalizer (GREEN4EQST)
A fixed-frequency 5-band stereo parametric equalizer with high/low shelf filters, +12/-12 dB gain excursion, Q amplitude adjustment for each band, equipped with several controls including: L-R / MID-SIDE, control-link, different types of meters, Pan, Spread, phase inversion and a by-passable preamp stage.

• Green4 Stereo Parametric Mastering Equalizer (GREEN4ZENEQ)
A fixed frequency 5-band stereo parametric equalizer with high/low shelf filters, +6/-6 dB gain excursion, Q amplitude adjustment for each band, equipped with several controls including L-R / MID-SIDE, control-link, different types of meters, Pan, Spread, phase inversion and a by-passable preamp stage.

• Green4 Stereo Mastering Limiter/Compressor (GREEN4ZENCMP)
A Stereo 'RMS' limiter/compressor consisting of two compressors (FAST-SLOW) running in parallel for each channel with a significant number of controls, including a blend control, L-R / MID-SIDE, control-link, different types of meters, Pan and Spread. It is therefore an uncompromising, precise and extremely effective tool for mastering and other critical applications where maximum control, flexibility and transparency are required.

Each plug-in included in the Green4 suite comes in a “Standard” version and an alternative “ZL*” version which operates at *zero latency and is thus suitable for use when tracking, at the cost of extra processing resources. For further details consult the Green4 user's manual in the Overview section.

To get the most out of your new plug-in suite, please read this user manual carefully.

CORE 16

Green4 suite features our latest core engine technology which now includes EHR™ - Enhanced Harmonic Response Technology

How to try a plugin: TRIAL MODE

- Create a user account (if you do not have one yet) on our website
- Download and Install Aquarius, our products manager, for either Mac or PC
- Type the product name in the 'search' field inside Aquarius to find the '(trial)' version of the product, then click on the thumbnail or on the 'Install' button. This will take you to the product page (the trial version of a product is also visible in the 'related products' section on the right)
- Select the right plugin format according to the DAW you are using and click 'Install'
- Aquarius will download, install,and authorise the trial product automatically
- Run your DAW. You're set!

Please note:

- For details about installation/authorization please refer to the following page: Acustica Audio - Professional Audio Software - Acustica Audio
- Available sample rates: 96 - 44.1 - 48 - 88.2 kHz

Important

COMMERCIALS:

- Green4 Mono Parametric Equalizer (GREEN4EQMX) and Green4 True-Stereo Parametric Mixing Equalizer (GREEN4EQST) are included in the ‘Green4’ item in Aquarius and are available at 44.1/96kHz.

- To install the additional frequency packs (48/88.2 kHz) simply download and install 'Green4 Frequency pack' from Aquarius.

- Green4 Stereo Parametric Mastering Equalizer (GREEN4ZENEQ) and Green4 Stereo Mastering limiter/compressor (GREEN4ZENCMP), are included in the ‘Green4 Zen’ item in Aquarius and are available at 44.1/96 kHz.

- To install the additional frequency packs (48/88.2 kHz) simply download and install the 'Green4 Zen Frequency pack' from Aquarius.

TRIALS:

- Green4 Mono Parametric Equalizer - Trial (GREEN4EQMXT) and Green4 True-Stereo Parametric Mixing Equalizer -Trial (GREEN4EQSTT) are included in the ‘Green4 (Trial)’ item in Aquarius and are only available at 44.1/96kHz.

- Green4 Stereo Parametric Mastering Equalizer - Trial (GREEN4ZENEQT) and Green4 Stereo Mastering limiter/compressor -Trial (GREEN4ZENCMPT), are included in the ‘Green4 Zen (Trial)’ item in Aquarius and are only available at 44.1/96kHz.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bringing out the champagne haha. I've been waiting for this, and given how AWESOME Acustica's latest releases have been, my expectations are pretty high, to be honest.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Oh what a great news!!!

Will try it today.
Old 2 weeks ago
Company Rep

Green4 in action!

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Well, this has made my week (and it's only Monday)! Green3 is one of my favourite EQs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Not a bad way to start the week
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I tried it, the EQ is nice, can't ignore that. I didn't like the compressor so much. You get very quick a pumping effect which I didn't want in that situation. Since I have so much EQs, I will pass this one but the EQ is very nice!
Old 2 weeks ago
If I didn't have Surge already... this would be an instant buy.

I do slightly prefer the lows on Green
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvd83 View Post
I tried it, the EQ is nice, can't ignore that. I didn't like the compressor so much. You get very quick a pumping effect which I didn't want in that situation. Since I have so much EQs, I will pass this one but the EQ is very nice!
this is exactly what this compressor does NOT do. It doesn't pump.
Simply
1) adjust the sidechain filter
2) The fast compressor and the slow compressor must work together. Adjust the times of the slow so that you do not feel pumping and let the transients pass. Automatically the fast compressor will be set to the right time for fast compression. With the blend you adjust the dosage between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodistortion View Post
If I didn't have Surge already... this would be an instant buy.

I do slightly prefer the lows on Green
eheh thank you.
we've gone one step further. The stereo equalizer is also present in a TRUE STEREO version, which means that the entire equalizer has been sampled in stereo mode! This is very interesting work, and in this way we take into account the imperceptible phase differences between two channels of a mastering unit in a hardware mastering situation. Sometimes this can be too much, and for this reason we also have a ZEN version, but sometimes this very slight imperfection is the one that gives the most interesting stereo panorama. The effect is very subtle, but it is definitely magical.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
If I can find some time I'll see how it holds up against my GML. The Amek was good but not enough to replace it.
I may do a video about it if I can.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
If I can find some time I'll see how it holds up against my GML. The Amek was good but not enough to replace it.
Please include TimP's Surge (Nebula) if you do, would be great to see those 3 against each other. Same with BalanceAnalog's Magpha EQ.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Please include TimP's Surge (Nebula) if you do, would be great to see those 3 against each other. Same with BalanceAnalog's Magpha EQ.
Sorry I don't have Nebula :/.

To be fair I only got 1 Acustica product I was trying to exchange for months but transfer fee were to high for me to transfer it.
So I am not planning on getting Nebula either (for now at least).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Just curious, I see here it's called Green4 True-Stereo Parametric Mixing Equalizer (GREEN4EQST)
in the manual it's called Green4 True-Stereo Parametric Mastering Equalizer (GREEN4EQST)

Hoping its designed for mixing using less cpu than the mastering. These latest STRIP releases use more cpu than the previous versions.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
I'm not using any Acustica lately, but this one interests me. I really like the GML 8200.

Your comparison will be very appreciated.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
Just curious, I see here it's called Green4 True-Stereo Parametric Mixing Equalizer (GREEN4EQST)
in the manual it's called Green4 True-Stereo Parametric Mastering Equalizer (GREEN4EQST)

Hoping its designed for mixing using less cpu than the mastering. These latest STRIP releases use more cpu than the previous versions.
GREEN4EQST is a True-Stereo Parametric Mixing Equalizer, we will edit the manual asap
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Bottom ends nice on the EQ but the rest was meh, not enough to warrent a purchase over what i already have from AA. Compressor is like most of them first release, pops clicks jumps about all over the place while dialing it in it's a total workflow killer when you want smooth adjustment transitions hence i don't use many AA compressors. No dought they will fix it they always do from the previous times it's happend. Pinks Compressor used to do this for me but now it works great. Cpu usage aint great either on my 9900K compaired to other AA products.

This is the trial version by the way.

Could be once you have most AA plugins the effect wares off or the next plugin is not special enough over recent purchases. I really liked Erin for example and own it. I think it's just personal taste everyone has there go to plugins right. I prefer other AA plugins to this but i am sure some of you will love Green4 but it's not my thing sorry AA.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Don't know if I'm missing something, but why the "blend" between slow and fast compressors is 100% slow by default? would not be 50% and 50% the obvious default choice? Another thing that bothers me is the GR scale: I think that in a mastering situation many will simply do 1-3db of reduction; a better accuracy in this range would be better, I suppose.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksta View Post
Bottom ends nice on the EQ but the rest was meh, not enough to warrent a purchase over what i already have from AA.
My first impression too... perhaps I was hoping for an huge improvement over Green3 EQ. But no, I continue to prefer Surge...
I can't complain anyway, I bought Green3 with a super deal some time ago, and I'm liking the compressor on the master buss.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertom View Post
Don't know if I'm missing something, but why the "blend" between slow and fast compressors is 100% slow by default? would not be 50% and 50% the obvious default choice? Another thing that bothers me is the GR scale: I think that in a mastering situation many will simply do 1-3db of reduction; a better accuracy in this range would be better, I suppose.
Default values are total mess on many AA's plugins. It's especially annoying on EQs like Sand, when Q value defaults to highest one, the most left position. It's pain in the ass to set it to middle one afterwards.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another thing that bothers me is the GR scale: I think that in a mastering situation many will simply do 1-3db of reduction; a better accuracy in this range would be better, I suppose.
This is another annoyance I've been wishing Acustica Audio fixes.

I have absolutely no idea why they insist on showing a silly huge Gain Reduction range on processors that are intended for mastering.

It would be MUCH better to have the same long meter but in much finer detail. How often do you guys compress -20dB of something? And once you do, do you REALLY need the metering to tell you that, at that point?

There's quite a few illogical UI choices done for various plugins (another example being the silly ranges for output gains on mastering units or strange inverted mouse drag behavior). Fine control and detailed metering where it is needed.. coarse metering and controls for where it is needed. This would be much more logical.

To be fair though, some of the various modeled hardware also have poor metering.. which is also an annoyance for those who have the hardware. The best hardware metering I've encountered is probably Knif Pure-Mu and the Tube-Tech compressors with that little led GR which is super responsive and quite accurate.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckbox View Post
Default values are total mess on many AA's plugins. It's especially annoying on EQs like Sand, when Q value defaults to highest one, the most left position. It's pain in the ass to set it to middle one afterwards.
It is a choice, compressor starts in slow mode
Default values should be ok here. Possibly we'll improve sand on next time
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvd83 View Post
You most definitely are using the compressor wrong. It's the exact opposite of what you wrote. It's _ridiculously_ transparent and nice. Even on very difficult material, with fully open sidechain filtering (so no filtering at all), I can keep it steady and completely controlled with up to 5dB of overall compression on peaks.

The compressor is in my opinion the most impressive thing about this whole package. The EQs are awesome but the compressor, at least from my brief testing, is truly mind blowing!

Start by doing exactly what Giancarlo said.. set the slow compressor with SLOW attack and moderate release (default is a good staring point.. for most stuff you might want it a bit faster tho). Now choose one of the gentle ratios.. then drag down the threshold until you get a solid 2 to 4dB of gain reduction. Tweak the attack to so slow that it isn't pumping or being silly.

Now once you have done that, set the fast compressor to a higher ratio, like 2 or 3:1 ratio. Then set the blend control to something like 60% fast or even more, to hear what it is doing (but don't set it to 100% so that you don't loose sight of the complete picture). Now drag down the fast threshold until it squashes the peaks the desired amount.

Now you can back down on the blend control a bit.. I usually end up at around 50/50. Then compensate lost gain with the main output gain knob or alternatively experiment with the individual gain makeups.

@ Acustica Audio : This compressor is awesome! Well done!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My first impression too... perhaps I was hoping for an huge improvement over Green3 EQ. But no, I continue to prefer Surge...
I can't complain anyway, I bought Green3 with a super deal some time ago, and I'm liking the compressor on the master buss.
It's been rebuilt in stereo, with much better converters, and it's all extremely accurate, for example the gain intervention (which is very accurate and you wouldn't have done so in other libraries or in green 3), the noise and phase distortions, the rolloffs.

The unit then was a mastering unit. Green 3 then was the result of the union between two poorly compatible samples, I would put Green4 at a very different level. The frequencies are also much more logical. Besides, Green4 has all the freq packs, no Echo, and it is extremely clean.

So between the two of them I see nothing but a huge step forward, I don't know what else to do to make it better!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
You most definitely are using the compressor wrong. It's the exact opposite of what you wrote. It's _ridiculously_ transparent and nice. Even on very difficult material, with fully open sidechain filtering (so no filtering at all), I can keep it steady and completely controlled with up to 5dB of overall compression on peaks.

The compressor is in my opinion the most impressive thing about this whole package. The EQs are awesome but the compressor, at least from my brief testing, is truly mind blowing!

Start by doing exactly what Giancarlo said.. set the slow compressor with SLOW attack and moderate release (default is a good staring point.. for most stuff you might want it a bit faster tho). Now choose one of the gentle ratios.. then drag down the threshold until you get a solid 2 to 4dB of gain reduction. Tweak the attack to so slow that it isn't pumping or being silly.

Now once you have done that, set the fast compressor to a higher ratio, like 2 or 3:1 ratio. Then set the blend control to something like 60% fast or even more, to hear what it is doing (but don't set it to 100% so that you don't loose sight of the complete picture). Now drag down the fast threshold until it squashes the peaks the desired amount.

Now you can back down on the blend control a bit.. I usually end up at around 50/50. Then compensate lost gain with the main output gain knob or alternatively experiment with the individual gain makeups.

@ Acustica Audio : This compressor is awesome! Well done!!
Thank you! Appreciated!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This is by far the most impressive compressor from Acustica Audio todate, in my opinion. Here is a good starting point for people struggling to get to grips with it:

If you want more "glue", then turn the big blend knob towards the SLOW end. Want more "punch" then turn it towards the fast end. I do NOT recommend going all the way to 0% nor 100% though. It definitely works best at around 35 to 85% range.

EDIT: I have not read the manual yet but it seems like the attack and release controls are interactive between the SLOW and FAST compressors. Thus if you have a long long attack, the FAST compressor has a more dominant role to play and is thus more obvious and gets punchy. So every time you change the attack, make sure you readjust the thresholds and the blend knob to get the perfect response. This thing is super awesome!!! A tweakers dream!

EDIT2: .. also play around with giving different amounts of gain makeup for fast vs slow compressor part. Combined with the blend knob you have a ton of choices on how the compressor behaves!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Before reading any comments. My initial impression is: Stereo Version

Having never used the hardware, what strikes me about this eq is its transparency both tonality and it also preserves the texture of the audio. It seems to move the frequencies back or forth. A real correction tool. A little goes a long way, especially cutting on full spectrum material. While there are other transparent eqs in the line up, all have a flattering quality. I don't find this eq to be flattering but thats what makes it so impressive thus far. If you just want to adjust something, this is the tool. Truly reminds me of watching Massenb...'s video of him using the hardware on a piano. Use this on piano and you'll hear what it can truly do.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
It is a choice, compressor starts in slow mode
Default values should be ok here. Possibly we'll improve sand on next time
Couldn't it be fixed with simple update? Sand 3 EQs load with default values in the middle, but ctrl clcking defaults to the most left position. Just please make it work like in Lime EQ.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Depending on the DAW, just set a useful default preset like in Reaper or Studio One. Every Acqua of mine opens ready to go. In fact its probably good thing the initial default is something requiring pilot intervention and also it's a nice experience hearing the beautiful in-betweens of every parameter.

Holy mother of JoeyM I tell you
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Depending on the DAW, just set a useful default preset like in Reaper or Studio One. Every Acqua of mine opens ready to go. In fact its probably good thing the initial default is something requiring pilot intervention and also it's a nice experience hearing the beautiful in-betweens of every parameter.

Holy mother of JoeyM I tell you
Thanks, but you misunderstood the issue. We were talking not about values which load by default, but values knobs default to when you ctrl+click them.

Btw I'm also changing default presets in Reaper so plugin loads with all bands engaged and at needed values right away.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, but you misunderstood the issue. We were talking not about values which load by default, but values knobs default to when you ctrl+click them.

Btw I'm also changing default presets in Reaper so plugin loads with all bands engaged and at needed values right away.
Thanks for the clarification. I don't mind being corrected in order to get on the same page.

I've got to find a way to download this! I wish there were a mini Aquarius for grabbing Staging Files using any android smart hone or tablet. This of course is because there always WiFi internet everywhere you go (my area has no lines running here).
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear